"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

karuthu ondruthaan aanaal.......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Lyrics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
parthavi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: karuthu ondruthaan aanaal....... Reply with quote

சுமார் இருபது வருடங்களுக்கு முன்பு வெளியான ஒரு பாடலின் சில வரிகளைக் கேட்கும்போது எனக்குச் சற்று உறுத்தலாகவே இருந்து வந்திருக்கிறது.

இந்தப் பாடல் இடம் பெற்ற படத்தின் பெயர் எனக்கு நினைவில்லை.
'காதல் என்பது பொது உடமை
கற்பு மட்டும்தானே தனி உடமை'
என்று தொடங்கும் பாடல் இது. (என்ன ஒரு அருமையான சிந்தனை!)

படத்தில் ஜனகராஜ் குடித்து விட்டுப் பாடுவதாக வரும் பாடல் இது. பல்லவியின் முதல் இரண்டு வரிகளைத் தொடர்ந்து வரும் வரிகள் இவை:
'அப்பனும் ஆத்தாளும் சேராம போனா
நீயும்தான் பொறக்க முடியுமா?'

இது கொச்சையாகத் தோன்றினால், இதை எழுதியதற்காக என்னை மன்னிக்கவும். ஆனால் நம் வீட்டுத் தொலைக் காட்சிப் பெட்டிகளில் எத்தனையோ முறை ஒலித்த பாடல்தான் இது என்பதை மட்டும் நினைவில் கொள்ளவும்!

இந்தப் பாடலை எழுதியவர் கங்கை அமரன். இதற்கு இசை அமைத்தவர், இந்தப் பாடலின் வரிகளால் ஈர்க்கப்பட்டோ என்னவோ, இந்தப் பாடலைத் தானே பாடி அனுபவித்திருக்கிறார். 'பலானது ஓடத்து மேலே' என்ற அற்புதமான வரிகளை எழுதிய ஞானியான இந்த இசை அமைப்பாளரை இந்தப் பாடல் வரிகள் கவர்ந்ததில் வியப்பில்லை.

'என்ன இப்படியெல்லாம் கொச்சையாக எழுதுகிறார்களே' என்று நான் வருந்தி யோசித்துக் கொண்டிருந்தபோது, இதே கருத்தை நம் கவிஞர் கையாண்டிருப்பது கவனத்துக்கு வந்தது. என் நினைவுக்கு வந்தவரை, மூன்று இடங்களில் இதே கருத்தைச் சொல்லியிருக்கிறார் கவிஞர். கவிஞரின் வரிகளைப் பாருங்கள்.

1) 'நம் முன்னவர்கள் வெறும் முனிவர் இல்லை.
அவர் தனித்திருந்தால் நாம் பிறப்பதில்லை.' ('அழகே வா' - ஆண்டவன் கட்டளை)

2) 'தந்தை தன்னையே தாய் தொடாவிடில்
நீயும் இல்லையே, நானும் இல்லையே.' ('நிலவைப் பார்த்து' - சவாலே சமாளி)

3) இங்கே கவிஞர் சற்றுக் கடுமையாக எழுதியிருக்கிறார். ஆனலும், எவ்வளவு கண்ணியமான வரிகள்!
'தந்தை தவறு செய்தார், தாயும் இடம் கொடுத்தாள்
வந்து பிறந்து விட்டோம், வெறும் பந்தம் வளர்த்து விட்டோம்' ('மனிதன் நினப்பதுண்டு' அவன் தான் மனிதன்.)

முதலில் குறிப்பிட்ட பாடலை எழுதியவர், 'பாடலைப் பாடுபவன் குடிகாரன், படிக்காதவன். எனவே அவன் இது போன்ற வார்த்தைகளைத்தான் பயன்படுத்துவான்' என்று தனது பாடல் வரிகளை நியாயப் படுத்துவார். ஆனால், 'காதல் என்பது பொதுவுடமை' போன்ற தத்துவ முத்த்க்களை (!) மட்டும் அவனால் உதிர்க்க முடியும் போலும்!

கவிஞரின் பெருமையை அறிய அவரை மற்றவர்களுடன் ஒப்பிட வேன்டியதில்லை. ஆனாலும் இது போன்ற சில விஷயங்கள், உயர்ந்தோரின் பெருமைகளை நம்மை இன்னும் சிறப்பாக அறிய வைக்கின்றன.
ragasuda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

சரியான விவாதம் தொடங்கப் பட்டிருக்கிறது. இதில் கருத்து வேறுபாடுகள் நிச்சயம் வரக்கூடும். அதன் மூலம் திரைப்பாடல்களைப் பற்றிய பல்வேறு பரிணாமங்களும் தோன்றக் கூடும். ஆனால் இதில் ஒரு விஷயம் தெளிவு படுத்த வேண்டியிருக்கும். அதைப் பொருத்தே இவ் விவாதத்தின் போக்கு அமையும். அதாவது, இது ஏதாவது குறிப்பிட்ட இசையமைப்பாளரை நோக்கி நகருமா அல்லது பொதுவாக பாடல் வரிகளின் தன்மையைப் பொறுத்து அமையுமா என்பது முதலில் தெளிவாகவேண்டும்.
என்னுடைய தனிப்பட்ட கருத்து.
எந்தப் படைப்பாளியும் அடிப்படையில் தரம் குறைந்து படைக்க வேண்டும் என்ற நோக்கில் நிச்சயம் இருக்க மாட்டான். அதற்காக அவனின் படைப்பில் கீழே வலுவாக இறங்கியிருந்தால் அவனுடைய படைப்பின் மீதுள்ள காதல், கரையத் தொடங்கி அது அவனுக்கே மோசமான விளைவுகளை ஏற்படுத்தி விடும், ஏற்படுத்தி யிருக்கிறது, அதற்கு தாங்கள் குறிப்பிட்டுள்ள படைப்பாளிகளும் ஒரு வகையில் உதாரணமாகின்றனர்.
ஆம். நீங்கள் குறிப்பிட்டுள்ள கருத்து அமைந்துள்ள மற்றொரு பாடல், இது மாலை நேரத்து மயக்கம்.
அதே போல் நீங்கள் குறிப்பிட்டுள்ள படைப்பாளிகளுடனும் கவியரசர் பணி புரிந்து காலத்தால் அழிக்க முடியாத மறக்க முடியாத பாடல்களைத் தந்துள்ளார் என்பதும் உண்மை. நல்லவர்க்கெல்லாம் சாட்சிகள் ரெண்டு பாடல், ஐம்பதிலும் ஆசை வரும், கண்ணே கலைமானே இது போன்ற பாடல்களையும் இந்தப் படைப்பாளிகள் தந்திருக்கிறார்கள் என்பதையும் நாம் மறக்கக் கூடாது. ஆனால் இந்தப் பாடல்கள் சாகா வரம் பெற்றதற்குக் காரணம் அந்த ஆறெழுத்து - கண்ணதாசன். அந்தக் கண்ணதாசன் என்ற படைப்பாளியை சரியான முறையில் நமக்கு பயன் படுத்தித் தந்தவர் மற்றொரு ஆறெழுத்து,விஸ்வநாதன்.இந்த இருவரும் பிறந்த தேதியும் ஒரே தேதி, 24 ஜூன்.
அப்படிப்பட்ட கண்ணதாசனின் படைப்புகளில் காணப் படும் இலக்கிய நயம், எதையும் இலை மறை காயாக சொல்லும் வல்லமை, தமிழ்த் தாய் நமக்களித்த சொத்து என்பது நமக்குப் பெருமை.

ராகவேந்திரன்
http://msvquiz.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilmsongs.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilms.blogspot.com/
http://mellisaititle.blogspot.com
madhuraman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Lyrics Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Parthavi and Mr. Ragasudha,
From the current thread that you have contributed to, I feel like saying a few things. If we are serious about genuine lyric, most of the time we can not tread into territories other than Kavi arasu and at best others could only rank a little lower except on very specific items. That restricts the very ambit of discussion to items of 'quality'. As Mr.Parthavi has cited proof of quality through songs is almost Kavi arasu's patent. To break his strangle hold on the domain of TF Songs, his contemporaries had to fight from a plane comparable in quality. In fact, Kavi arasu's entry to filmdom was not any easy either. He had to acquit himself as a quality lyricist competent enough to compete with the then stalwarts of Udumalai Narayana Kavi, Marudha kasi, Thanjai Ramaiya Das and the unforgettable Pattukkottai Kalyana sundaram. Even to-day a section of TFSong lovers firmly believe that had not Pattukkottai passed away that early, Kavi arasu would have had a tougher competition in his career of 1960s. Certainly I do not doubt Kavi Arasu's capabilities.The point is, he had to prove himself in the company of meritorious competitors, demanding movie makers , situations and tougher MDs who would insist on lyric phrase obliging a typical frame of a raga /swara. MSV could bend his raga or modulate a swara to oblige a situation or lyric taking utmost care to honour the mood /'bhavam'. That brought the two[KD and MSV] to team up as an invincible pair in a career that lasted for 30+ years. Parallel with these, Kavi arasu established his ability to depict life situations in a vivid 'down to earth' phraseology that made him the simultaneous darling of Producers, actors, MDs and listeners. Now, Where are the yardsticks to compare persons of different calibre altogether? If things appear substandard to-day, they reflect the patronage from the industry hell-bent on making fast buck even if the society collapses. One can draw enough and more from Kannadasan to substantiate these contentions.
I REQUEST ALL NEW COMERS TO READ THE ARTICLES OF MR.NV SRINIVAS OF OUR FORUM AMONG THE OLD ARTICLES IN OUR SITE TO DEVELOP CERTAIN CLEAR PERCEPTIONS.
Thank you for the opportunity.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai.
ragasuda

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

டியர் ராம்,
தங்கள் கருத்து நிச்சயம் ஏற்றுக் கொள்ளக் கூடியது. எந்தக் கலையும் காலங்களை சந்தித்துக் கொண்டும் தலைமுறைகளை தாண்டிக் கொண்டும் பரிணாமங்களை ஏற்றுக் கொண்டும் வடிவங்களை மாற்றிக் கொண்டும் தான் இருக்கும். நான் ஏற்கெனவே குறிப்பிட்டது போல், எந்தப் படைப்பாளியும் அடிப்படையில் தரம் குறைந்து படைக்க வேண்டும் என்ற நோக்கில் நிச்சயம் இருக்க மாட்டான். தற்போதைய பாடல்களில் எல்லாமே தரம் குறைந்துள்ளதாக பொதுவாக சொல்ல முடியாது. மேலும் அப்படிப்பட்ட ஒரு தோற்றம் தான் தெரிகிறது. பா.விஜய் போன்ற அற்புதமான கவிஞர்கள் இருக்கிறார்கள். ஆட்டோகிராப் பாடல் காலங்கடந்து நிற்கக் கூடிய பாடல். எனவே சரியான விகிதத்தில் பாடல் வரிகளும் இசையமைப்பும் கலந்து சரியான விகிதத்தில் அது திரைப்படங்களில் வெளிப்படும்போது அது நிச்சயம் காலங்களைக் கடந்து நிற்கும். அதற்கு தலைமுறைகள் தடைக்கற்களாகாது.

அதே சமயம் இதே கவிஞர்களி்ன் பேனாக்களிடமிருந்துதான் எதிர்மறையான பாடல்களும் பிறக்கின்றன என்கிற போது வேதனையாகத் தான் இருக்கின்றது. மேலும் கவியரசரின் காலங்களில் மக்கள் எதை ஏற்க வேண்டும் எதை ஒதுக்க வேண்டும் என்பதில் தெளிவுடன் இருந்தார்கள். சுய தணிக்கை செய்யாமல் பாடல்கள் ஒலிபரப்பாகாது. மேலும் தொலைக்காட்சிகள் இல்லை. இன்றைய பாடல்களில் விரகமும் விரசமும் ஆதிக்கம் செய்கின்றன. இதற்குக் காரணம் மக்கள் ரசனை என்கின்ற வாதத்திலும் ஓரளவு உண்மை இருக்ககத் தான் செய்கிறது. அந்தக் காலத்திலும் எலந்தப் பழம் போன்ற பாடல்கள் பெரும் வரவேற்பைப் பெற்றாலும் அதற்குக் காரணம், அந்தத் துள்ளல் இசையே தவிர வரிகளல்ல. அந்தப் பாடல் முழுக்க முழுக்க ஆபாசத்தின் உச்சம், அந்தப் பாடலை எழுதியவர், கவியரசரே தான். அது மட்டுமல்ல எல்.ஆர்.ஈஸ்வரி பாடிய பல பாடல்கள் அப்படிப்பட்டவையே. ஆனால் அதையெல்லாம் மக்கள் ஏற்கவில்லை. எலந்தப் பழம் ஒரு விதிவிலக்கு.

இன்றைக்குக் கூட கவியரசரைப் பற்றி மேம்போக்கான விமர்சனம் செய்து ஒதுக்கக் கூடியவர்கள் இருக்கிறார்கள். அவர்களது வாதத்தில் அவர்களது நோக்கில் பட்டுக்கோட்டையார் தான் முதன்மை வகிப்பார். அப்படிப்பட்ட பலத்த போட்டிக்கிடையில் தான் கவியரசர் தான் வந்தார். அதுவும் ஆரோக்கியமான போட்டி, திறமையின் அடிப்படையிலான போட்டி. இந்தக் காலக்கட்டத்திலோ பொருளாதார அடிப்படையே முதன்மை வகிக்கிறது. பாடல் எழுதுவோர் தம்முடைய வாய்ப்புகளுக்கு விலை கொடுக்கவும் தயாராக உள்ளனர்.

இந்தக் காரணங்களின் அடிப்படையில் தான் பாடல்களின் தரம் தற்போது அமைந்துள்ளது என்பது என் தனிப்பட்ட கருத்து.

ராகவேந்திரன்
http://msvquiz.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilmsongs.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilms.blogspot.com/
http://mellisaititle.blogspot.com
madhuraman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Lyrics Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
Variations in perception are always acceptsble as they suggest one's personal tolerance to a few parameters. The lamentation in us of the current rends in TF songs and music relates to the high frequency of cacaphonic utterances liberally backed by 'funeral beats' for rhythm [ all subtle variations of beat have been given a go by atleast 20 years ago]. The times of Kavi arasu had occasional aberrations of 'elandha payam' but now quality versions appear as rare aberrations.
Regarding 'kanji thotti thaedi vandha' type of song, the [dis]credit should go the Director ,MD and them to the lyricist as opined by Mr.Ram. For a parallel situation in Kalaikoil, 'MuLLil rOjA' was composed 45 years ago and to date it stays gloriously mesmerising by lyric, rendition and orchestration whose dimension has never been neared thus far. My humble submission is with higher technology the industry is catering to basal instincts, investing huge sums of money. After all our lamentations are on the products and not personal against any individual.
Thanks for the opportunity.
madhuraman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Lyrics Reply with quote

[quote="madhuraman"]Dear Friends,
Variations in perception are always acceptable as they suggest one's personal tolerance to a few parameters. The lamentation in us of the current rends in TF songs and music relates to the high frequency of cacaphonic utterances liberally backed by 'funeral beats' for rhythm [ all subtle variations of beat have been given a go by atleast 20 years ago].
The times of Kavi arasu had occasional aberrations of 'elandha payam' but now quality versions appear as rare aberrations.
Regarding 'kanji thotti thaedi vandha' type of song, the [dis]credit should go the Director ,MD and them to the lyricist as opined by Mr.Ram. For a parallel situation in Kalaikoil, 'MuLLil rOjA' was composed 45 years ago and to date it stays gloriously mesmerising by lyric, rendition and orchestration whose dimension has never been neared thus far. My humble submission is with higher technology the industry is catering to basal instincts, investing huge sums of money. After all our lamentations are on the products and not personal against any individual.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai.[/quote]
parthavi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Ram has putt things in perspective and by demonstrating his knowledge about the current lyrics and lyricists, has again confirmed his credentials for leading this group.

Considering some observations on my posting, I need to clarify a couple of things.

1) My post was limited to one particular idea and how it was presented by Kavingar and another person. I have stated in the end that no comparison is needed to point out to Kavignar's supremacy. In fact I have always felt that Kavingar can be compared only to Kamban. (I am not including Bharathiyaar, who belongs to an altogether different world.) The post I wrote was a 20-year old itch in my mind and I wanted to relieve myself of this, by sharing it with a group that would understand my feelings. I was not comparing the old with the new nor was I generalizing about the old songs and the songs of the present period.

2) The reason I mentioned the MD was to express my disgust that he had chosen to sing this song himself, as if this was a passionate song like ‘then paandich cheemaiyile…’ I was incidentally reminded of a song penned by him that was not in good taste either and I just mentioned it. I relish several songs of IR like ‘vellaip puraa ondru,’ ‘pachcha malap poovu, ‘nilaave vaa,’ ‘sorgaththin vaasalpadi,’ ‘oru vaana vil pole,’ ‘thangach changili minnum paingili’ etc. (to mention only a few), though I believe (as many others in our group might) that he has been overrated.

3) In my humble opinion, Kavignar’s contemporaries (including Pattukkottai) can come nowhere near him and no comparison will be justified. I feel that Pattukkottai has been overrated. He had an obsession for communist ideology and this was reflected in his songs. Such an obsession is bound to curb creativity. His ideological slant is reflected even in love songs. In ‘vaadikkai marandhadhum eno’ (Kalyaana parisu), he writes,

பொறுமை இழந்திடலாமோ,
பெரும் புரட்சியில் இறங்கிடலாமோ?

This may be passed off as an acceptable poetic tint or it may even be hailed as a product of “revolutionary” thinking. But it definitely points to his inability to free his mind of his ideological obsessions. In contrast, Kavignar had a liberal mind. He was deeply religious but he would pen out lines lashing out at God that will shock the believers. (It is said that TMS initially refused to sing ‘Kadavul manidhanaagap pirakka vendum’ saying that he cannot sing a song cursing God.’ He would praise God as ‘Kettadhum Kuduppavane’ and he would also admonish him by pointing out,
ஒரு சாண் வயிற்றுக்கு வழி இல்லையென்றால்,
ஒரு முழம் கயிறல்லவோ?
வயிறும் வைத்துக் கயிறும்வைத்துப்
படைத்தது உந்தன் தவறல்லவோ?
(கல்யாண ஊர்வலம் - 'ஆண்டவன் முகத்தை பாக்கணும்')

(Incidentally, the MD of this song R.Parthasarathy said about this song in a TV interview: "Normally I am a cheerful person. So, once I was feeling dull, worried about a problem, Kavignar asked me about my problem. After hearing my problem, he penned this song!"

Politically also, though he was a supporter of Indira Gandhi, in the song “I will sing for you” (Manitharil Manickam), he penned the line,

பெண்ணே உன் கையில் ராஜாங்கம் இருந்தால்
எல்லாரும் ஆடணுமா?

This was a snipe at Mrs.Gandhi, who was perceived as a dictator by the Congress (O),the party to which Sivaji Ganesan belonged to, at that time. Thus, Kavignar was able to distance himself from his songs and write lines befitting the story, the situation, the character or sometimes even the actor.

4) We cannot generalize about the lyrics of the present times. As Ram has pointed out, there are several gems. But because, we do not feel inclined to hear the new songs and also because in most of the songs, the lyrics are jammed by the cacophony of instruments, they often go unnoticed.
parthavi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ram,

My clarifications were not in response to your observations. That's why I had said in the beginning itself that you had put things in perspective. They were in reponse to the points made in response to my post, in general.

It is true that Kannadasan has been male chauvinistic, in keeping with the traditions of our times. Man is perceived to be the master and woman an object to serve man's needs. Even Thiruvalluvar has been guilty of this. He speaks about a woman's chastity and her duties as a housewife. For man, his advice is confined to not commit adultery! Surprisingly, even Bharathy who had fought for women's rights speaks feom the point of view of man in 'Sindhu Nadhiyin misai.' What can we make of the phrase 'sera nannaattilam pengaludane...' ? Kannadasan has not risen above male chauvinism and we can see the tints of this in several songs like 'kadavl mnithanaagap pirakka vendum,' chinna chinna kannanuku' etc.

Philosophy is difficult to comprehnd. It is a bit esoteric. (Philospphy, in general has been a butt of jokes. One joke I remember is about the difference btween 'thaththuvam' and 'periya thaththuvam.' ketpavanukkup puriyaavitaal, adhu thaththuvam. sonnavanukke puriyaavittaal, athuthaan periya thaththuvam. I have been able to appreciate this, when sometimes, I find it difficult to read my own handwriting!) Hence I don't find anything amiss in the line, 'theriyaamal ponale vedantham.' But peceptions may vary, as professor has pointed out. My mother found the lines, 'thaai thantha pichaiyile piranthenamma' illogical and abominable, though I didn't find anything wrong with those lines.

I think we should give allowance for difference in the way of thinking.
madhuraman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Lyrics Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
The spate of recent write-ups by our friends with Kaviarasu as the central object, quite a few points emerge. That each of us chooses to clarify the stand making it amply clear that we do not intend any infringement upon the other man's contention is eloquent proof of maturity and etiqutte that do proud to MSV, HIS ASSOCIATES OF EVERY GENRE AND TO OUR OWN CULTURE AS ADMIRERS OF CLASS IN EVERY FIELD.
What ever happens is in the best interest of the forum. Despite the cross fire of opinions, Kavi arasu has so much niceties about the way he writes. Look at this "vAzhkkai padagu" song 'chinna chinna kaNNanukku' where in Kannadsan portrays his prowess in conceptualization

' oruvarin thudippinilE viLaivadhu kavidhaiyadA'
'iruvarin thudippinilE viLaivadhu mazhalaiyadA'

perhaps indisputably phrased with decency in every syllable. Such niceties must hold our attention, more to recognize the immaculate precision while handling sensitive situations. I hope our efforts to bringforth the items help our youngsters in recalling the path treaded by the industry just in the yester decades.
madhuraman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Lyrics Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Shankar
You have individually addressed the contributors to this thread , giving pertinent references to your line of appreciation. Ours is a forum ideal for elite discussions allowing genuine freedom of thought. So, we keep going with affection to every shade of opinion and keep opening up new ideas from time to time.
There can be no dispute over the quality of the likes of the yester generation lyricists of whom Valee continues into the present [ably serving as a 'kalai vyaapari']. Obviously TFM has stooped to business of instant version only to die faster than the speed of birth. There doesn't seem any way out as the moviemakers themselves are intent on fast buck than on relevant contribution. These are all the more the reasons for the elders to recall the days of KANNADASAN -VISWANATHAN who have deftly provided masterpieces to address all life situations of depression, dejection, affection, loyalty, competition , surrendering to the ultimate and so on besides the all too cinematic occasions of happy-go lucky moods like club sequences. Certainly Kannadasan has displayed the richest variety in highest quality.That he is the most extensively quoted lyricist in all forums of discussion reveals his indispensable quality in relevance.
Thanks for the opprtunity.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Lyrics All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: