"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Whistle from your Heart"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ram N Ramakrishnan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: "Whistle from your Heart" Reply with quote

There is certain majesty about simplicity. It is a kind of supreme excellence –in character, in manners, in style, and of course in song composition and orchestration. When it comes to deploying the right musical instruments for the right composition, MSV takes credence – for it is he who used a very basic instrument as a mark of his excellence in simplicity. That instrument, I assure you, everyone can play. It requires no detailed training, you can play tunes, scales, notes to beats without inhibitions and you do that because it is a WHISTLE ………and it is played straight from your heart.

Here is a selection of MSV’s exploits of creative use of the whistle, a rare but simple instrument. (With a special request to everyone at this forum to keep adding to this list of whistling gems)

Spring is when you feel like whistling even when your shoes are full of slush! Set aside the state of downturn we are in and put hope in our thoughts by whistling the joyful opening of “Hello My Dear Rami” (Pudayal) where composer-singer duo effectively whistle to belt this contrasting West meets Chennai Ghana number. In modern lingo –we can say – THIS ROCKS! If spring is in your thoughts, and romance is in the offing, whistle the small note which appears in the opening of another song “Aandonru Ponaal”(Policekaran Magal) for it sets the tone for the splendor in the offing. So is the small whistle note in the racy duet of “Enthan Paarvayin” (Sumaithangi).

Boyhood is all fun and frolic where friends whistle together the opening notes in “Aandavan Padaichaan” (Annai Illam); but remember to get to the better presentation of the theme - next time you walk in the Marina Beach play the opening whistle of “Nenjirukkum Engalukku” (Nenjirukkum Varai). When you whistle that tune it will surely assure you that your heart will be full, you are care-free, and you care-less, despite the odds against you!

Whilst opening notes in joyful songs are a treat, MSV deployed the whistle also to express the opposite side of the mind’s spectrum - solace in solitude! The opening and second interludes of “Nilavai Paarthu Vaanam Sonnathu” (Savaale Samaali) did just that. However one song which I keep coming back again is “Vantha Naal Mudal” (Paava Mannippu) where the whistle accompanies the singer from start to finish. It is indeed true that whenever I find opportunity to ride a cycle; this is one whistling number I wouldn’t miss.

MSV broke the perceptions of the whistle again when he used it in lilting melodies. In “Nenjathile Nee Netru Vandaai” (Shanthi) the whistle accompanies the charming voice as a duet accompaniment – listen to the interlude music and you will see how wonderfully the whistle has blended with the melody. Another lullaby worth all its weight of gold is the song “Neerodum Vaigaiyile” (Paar magale paar) where the simple whistle is presented along with the lady’s hum to put kids to sleep. I hope everyone still remembers that little whistle again in another lullaby “Chellakiligalam”(Enga mama) – in fact it is an instant replay by a kid of the singer’s notes which assures the inherent trait of the whistle – you can almost instantly play any tune with it in the first go!

And finally, in a film which took many honors in Jayakanthan’s new-wave storytelling, Lakshmi’s histrionics, Srikanth’s dignified role-play and the intelligent-wit of Nagesh – a one-man army stood out. MSV sang “Kandathai Sollugiren”(Sila Nerangalil Sila Manithargal) taking the brilliant lyrics of this era to make the song standout with its breathtaking whistle accompaniment.

Simplicity is the final achievement. After playing a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning glory in MSV’s repertoire. When you do blow all these whistling notes and tunes of MSV, your nights will be stretched and believe me that journey is going to be sweet to your soul for times to come……………………………………………….Ram N Ramakrishnan
msvramki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear RamRamkrish,

Great writing on the sort of Whistling MSV has blended in many of his compositions, so seemlessly, and that too, as usual, for different emotions.

As a good (very good ?) whistler myself, I have enjoyed every word of your article since I had 'experienced' the feeling whenever I listened to and whistled along with MSV's whistle songs.

Whistling, at at time when elders looked at it as an act of bad mannerism, our Master could use it as an accompanying 'instrument' for his songs and gave immortal numbers ! That is authority he has on the sounds of all instruments. !

These are rainy days. In the next occasion you meet me during our morning walk, you may not be surprised if you see me walking with no ipod/earphone, but whistling the songs brought out by you beautifully !

Fabulous writing and I look forward for more.

RAMKI

N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEAR Mr. RAM RAMKRISH
I AGREE WITH YOU. MSV IS THE FIRST MD TO HAVE USED WHISTLE. I WANTED TO ADD ONE INFORMATION IN THIS REGARD THAT THE WHISTLE FOR THOSE SONGS REFERED BY YOU ARE RENDERED BY A GENTLEMAN BY NAME M S RAJU. I KNOW ABOUT THIS BECAUSE IN THOSE DAYS THEY ALWAYS HAD THE HABIT OF MENTIONING THE NAMES OF THE COMPOSER. LYRIC WRITTER AND THE SINGERS. THIS IS ONE WAY OF SHOWING THIER GRATITUDE TO THESE ARTISTS BECAUSE BUT FOR THESE ARTIST THERE WOULD NOT BE ANY RADIO PROGRAMME. IS IT NOT. IN THE CASE OF THE WHISTLE THEY MENTIONED Mr. RAJUS NAME BECAUSE HE ALSO LIKE A SINGER HAS RENDERED HIS VOICE FOR THE WHISTLE. YOUR ARTICLE WAS WONDERFUL

BYE

N Y MURALI
Ram N Ramakrishnan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Thanks for letting us know Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Murali,

Many thanks indeed for letting us know who that great whistler was. I had assumed that it could be one of his assistants as Messrs. G K Venkatesh, or Govardhan or Henry Daniel. This is to immensely thank Mr. M S Raju for giving us such incredible whistles which will last a lifetime and more!

sincerely,
Ram
Venkat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Ram N Ramakrishnan,
A great write-up on whistle songs. I myself whistled after reading this post... Smile

Nice songs. Particularly, I like Kandathai sollugiren.

FYI, Aandavan Padaichaan is from the movie Nischaya Thamboolam.

And few more songs come to my mind.
What a waiting... Ninaithale Inikkum.
Nenjathai allikonjam thatha... Kadalikka Neramillai.
Oru manathai oruvar ariya... Gowri Kalyanam (Jai will be a post man).
parthavi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more note on 'neerodum vaiaiyile' This was revealed by MSV himself in Endrum MSV two weeks before. Mr. Vijayakrishnan has also written above this under the thread 'Endrendrum MSV' (listed under 'latest updates' in the home page of msvtimes.) MSV had conceived the idea of composing the entire lullaby (thaalaattu) using only whistling and humming by the female singer. Bhimsingh was also enthused by this novel idea and the tune was also composed. But Kavignar, sensing this, could not digest this and quickly composed a song to the tune and had his way with the support of Sivaji. On hearing this, I felt that we have missed a unique opportunity of having a film song composed entirely on whistling and humming!

P R Swami (parthavi)
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Ram Ramakrishanan,
This is yet another facet of Mellisai Maamannar's composing style, very unique and perfect like him. Others fell behind trying vainly imitating him (e.g.: try and tolerate the PS's song "Darling, darling, darling" composed by IR in Priya. I feel restless. Sorry for disturbing the mood)
There are a few more moods that are conjured by MM with his whistling. The transcending notes at an earthy hour to an intoxicated climax brings out the yearning desire in man in the song "Ennai vittal yaarum illai" (KJJ for MGR).

The suspense is vividly felt in the whistling in "Kandadai sollugiren" by MM himself. Of course, his voice adds to the thrill!

From the music point of view, the whistling looks like yet another filling like an instrumental flourish during the interludes. Many do not realise this as whistling!

Lovely analysis (once again)! Thanks!

Sai Saravanan
parthavi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Ms Raju's name for the first time when AIR announced his name along with PS while announcing the song 'Nenjaththiley nee netru vanththaay' from 'Shanthi.' But I didn't know that all the whistling was done by him. In Endrum MSV,when Neerodum Vaigaiyiley was played,t he gentleman who plays the flute in the present orchestra did the whistling. Some of you may know him. Watch Endrum MSV and see whether you can identify him.

There is a surprise whistling "by Sridevi" while giving the swaraas to Kamal in 'Sippi Irukkudhu' fromVarumaiyin NiramSivappu.

There is also a beautiful whistling in 'oruvar manathai oruvar ariya' from Gowri Kalyaanam, a unique song about the postal service, about which I have mentioned in another post. Here is the link for this melodious song with a brilliant orchestration.

http://www.vanavil.com/music/tamilFilm.php?id=1063&tamilfilm=GouriKalyanam
Venugopalan Soundararajan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: M S Raju Reply with quote

Hi All,

This is a nice thread and thanks for the interesting postings. In fact, apart from M S Raju, the whistling used to be done by the Master himself as well as Sadan.

While talking of Late Shri M S Raju, he was the Mandolin player in MSV's troupe. In fact prior to Mr Visweswaran joining MSV's troupe, Mr Raju used to handle Santoor too. He was very fair & thin with a big handle-bar mustache. In 60's (especially during the MSV-TKR days), MSV had extensively used Mandolin in many of his songs, played brilliantly by Shri Raju.

And it was Shri Raju who did the"Konnakkol" in M R Radha's voice for the song "Neeye Unakku Enrum Nigaranavan" in "Baley Paandiya". It was so amazingly done by Raju that the common man thought it was really done by M R Radha himself.

It was Mr Raju who used to do the "oodling" effect - for songs like "Malarendra Mugaminru Sirikkattum" (Kadhalikka Neramillai), "Allith Thandu Kaalgal Eduthu" (Vennira Aadai), etc.

Regards,

Venu Soundar
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear friends,
I just lost this thread and was trying to locate it...It was because few days back, I heard a breezy melody from MM: "Naane endrum raaja" from Polladavan. This Rajni's movie features well-known songs. But, less-known and one of the most beautiful numbers composed for Rajni, sung by SPB and very melodious. The unnoticed aspect is the whistling, appearing like a soft breeze and wafting away, and leaving a mark as the song ends. What a feeling it had created! Imagination of MM is beautiful!!
Sai Saravanan
s ramaswamy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

One of the finest whistling, perhaps among MSV-TKR's earliest introduction to this type of BGM, happened in the 1958 movie - Bhim Singh's first in "Pa varisai padangal", Pathi Bakthi. The collective whistling in the famous TMS chorus "Veedu Nokki Odi Vandha Ennaye" - the happy version - is mind-boggling.

S D Burman has also used the whistle extremely well in Hindi films, among the most famous being the Kishore-Asha duet "Aankho Me Kya Ji woh pahala baadal" in "Nau Do Gyarah".

Ramaswamy
parthavi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Cycle vandi mele' a delightful number from chithi has whistling at the beginning, during the interlude and in the end. Setting of the pallavi 'cycle vandi mele' has the unique stamp of MSV. The way he has given musical images for words like 'meley' and 'weakku' is again a feature we often observe in our master's compositions.Each of the whistling pieces in this not so well known song, is different and highly enjoyable.

http://dishant.com/jukebox.php?songid=23531
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: