"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MM &KB as Chief guest in Jaya TV.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vatsan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Resp. Reply with quote

Thanks Siva for opening this thread. My personal take on this, singing was not really up to the mark. MSV ofcourse was in too 'soft' a mood to admonish any of the singers. Can say, they got away Smile

Hariharan well and truly imbibed the unfurling of each of the melodies and was clearly bowled over. Wish he and SHankar Mahadevan had more exposure to the glorious MSV past. One could feel the packed, pregnant atmosphere as each of singers acted as stimulants for the magic of the original compositions to come through despite not so great performances. Well the atmosphere took care of inadequacies.

The greatness of each of those compositions was re-established in my heart all over again. I was on an official call and pretended to have been dropped off the call due a connection error and never dialled back in. Such is the enticing power of the creations this Lord of Music.
Vatsan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Resp. Reply with quote

Furthermore, James Vasanthan clearly stated that MSV is the greatest composer India has ever seen. So dude, you earned yourself some forgiveness from the MSV musical fraternity Smile
madhuraman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Articles and Writings by fans Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Vatsan and other friends,
As we keep watching programmes, I cannot but say 'strange are the ways of cinema people, comperes and so-called media [better called mediocre] men/ women. Despite their obvious dishonesty and skills of time-serving, at times emotions overtake them too. Yesterday's was one such and as anyone can recognize, MSV compositions cannot that easily be rendered, except by rigorous training and a vigorous determination. For good, MSV has started opening out a bit [though not on technicalities] to register the then conditions of lyric and tune generation to perfection to elevate the song scenario in the movies of yester decades. KB was thoroughly bowled over when he said- he was on most occasions flabbergasted as to how he would effectivley get picturised the songs to sustain the compositional value ; the song 'angum ingum' truly baffled singer Hariharan who made no secret of it and personally expressed respect by bowing to the composer.
Turning to MSV's role I recall, in the recent past, some of MSV's honest observations were not well received despite having invited him to judge the singers in a TV show. He[MSV] has grown wiser knowing that he is not the loser, he avoids pinpointing errors.
At last the programme proved a point or two, that even sworn enemies to quality or ruthless admirers of someone else, cannot brush aside the elements of elegance, firm form of the tune, seamless switch-overs and the most engrossing orchestration -all manually done to ultimate perfection typical of MSV's creations. The wheel has turned a full circle so to say and all orchestrated efforts however mighty just cannot eclipse quality -is the message. Let us see more of it.
Thanks for the opprtunity. Warm regards.
Prof.K.Raman Madurai.
parthavi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Mr. Ramesh to this great forum, where many scholars and quite a few laymen like me vie with each other in sharing our perceptions about the man who is synonymous with music and his great compositions which challenge all superlative adjectives. Every post enhances both the value of this forum and our own ecstasy of tasting the nectar of MSV's music.

I look forward to a lot more postings from you and your going up in the ladder of ranks.

My Best wishes and Compliments.
tvvraghavan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all
Thanks a lot for the info and thankfully, I found the videos in the web.. Great to see our Master and others...

http://www.tamilinfo.com/tv-show/hariudan-naan/hariudan-naan-23-09-10

http://www.tamilinfo.com/tv-show/hariudan-naan/hariudan-naan-24-09-10

Venkat
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A memorable programme Very Happy Great to see the legends KB and MSV coming together after the partnership ended with Agni Satchi ??

KB was really emotional that evening and one could see moist eyes as he kept on recollecting the moments when the particular song was visualised and picturised.

MSV as usual was very down to earth and majestic .

Shocked to hear when MSV said that he didnt remember much about that Ragangal padhinaru Shocked a real classy composition with heavy sangathis and birkas !

The judges , in particular Hariharan were virtually overcome by the occasion . Probably Hari must have felt sad that he couldnt be part of the golden period .

Though all the movies of the combination were splendid, I would pick Aboorva ragangal as the ultimate . MSV deserved a national award for this movie . However, Vaniji got it . Very Happy for Ezu swarangalukkul

As Vatsan rightly pointed out, the participants tried their best to get the same impact but unfortunately, many of them were short of expectations.

It must have been an understanding that MSV-KB will not certify the performance. Hari & his team will do that .
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. For instance, why he chose Bageshri for Andharangam nan ariven / Nee ennena sonnalum kavithai / Nilave ennidam Rolling Eyes I feel , it just flowed into his thoughts while caressing the Harmonium and tunes cascaded !
Vatsan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Resp. Reply with quote

Good postings from all as expected.

Just some random thoughts.......

After all these years of intimate listening, I am personally still in awe of this Super Duper composer and the way he unfailingly makes the soul sparkle in his compositions. Therefore, any amount of "uncovering" of the works of this incomparable genius will simply be not enough for me. There always seems to be so much more for the world to re-experience and for folks like Hariharan to simply experience. "ninaithhAl sirippu varum" and its varying dynamics should have been performed on stage in that programme only to highlight the "never before, never after" work done in this song. This should have been done as a tribute to MSV to rake memories of these immortal gems that still manage to glitter through the merciless sands of time, and ofcourse through the "publicity craving" works of self-proclaimed geniuses.

There is an altogether different universe of music unleashed by this dimunitive genius, lying unattended by ears clogged with garbage and filled with lifeless music.

I will never be satisfied in this regard.

If I have struck a discordant note somewhere, it was not intentional and only aimed at the MSV-deprived public.
ragasuda

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear RameshUma & other new members,
Pls make an introductory posting in the concerned thread before starting your discussions in other threads.

Raghavendran
co-moderator
http://msvquiz.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilmsongs.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilms.blogspot.com/
http://mellisaititle.blogspot.com
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tamil Music world has come to a full and quarter circle. I am referring to the MSV ism reviving back as never before. Thanks to msvtimes.com (especially from the Piano Programme) and Mega TV with Endrum MSV programme all the other channels have felt the pulse of the general public mood about the Timelessness of MSV's music.

Also one of the prime factor why people have come back to MSV is due to the current trend in music. Actually if the time has come to full circle people should have gone to the music before MSV's time. But such is MSV's music that it is the timelessness in his music that had made people to look back to him by general public and in turn the TV channels. That is why I said the world has come to to full and quarter circle.

MSV's music is like the bronze vessel (Vengala Paanai). If you keep it in the loft it may seem to lose the shine. But start using it you would feel the more you use it the more it is glittering with shine.

Whereas the next era that came after him have been stainless steel variety which are all produced for commercial reason and which lose the shine as you keep using the same. Of Course current generation music is like Plastic vessels which not only looses the shine but also are also against environment.

N Y MURALI

Last edited by N Y MURALI on Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have also noticed MSV's reply to Hari when he asked whether it was the raga Sarang for the song 'Ilakkanam Marutho'. MSV said he had no idea. He also stated that he never keeps any raga in mind before composition for all his song.

However He also said that He kept the raaga 'magathi' as per the suggestion from Dr. BMK and hence he had a clear raga in mind. KB mentioned that once the pallavi was written for the song 'Yezhu swarangalukkul' they discussed in length as to what raagas they have to keep for each charanam etc.

This goes to show that when the situation demands (like a classical ) MSV keeps the raga in mind. But other wise he never keeps the raga in mind.
But then he should have at least told the audience as to what inspires him to come out with the melody (other than classics). MSV kept on saying that the tune is there in lyric itself ( He should have told at least 4 to 5 times in the entire programme). But he never explained how a tune is churned out from the lyric inspiration. Also then how he make the tune when the lyric is written after the tune is composed (Like 'pattathu rani).

So far no proper explanation is given for this aspect. Even if some rational ideas are given there seems to be a closed frame of mind. Such is the power of raga obsession. Other wise alternate theory/ideas should come. Otherwise MSV's compositions would always been a mystery. By this I am not suggesting that MSV's music can be brought to a simple formula.
But great and beautiful things of nature are always simple. Only we try to complicate them because we feel that we have knowledge.

N Y MURALI
parthavi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every year, for a few days close to Gandhi Jayanthi, Independence Day, Martyrs' Day (Aug 30th) etc, our political leaders and the media will vax eloquence on the greatness of Mahatma Gandhi and will lament that there are no leaders like Gandhiji now. After a few days, it will be business as usual and Gandhiji will be put back on the attic, for use in the next occasion.

In the same way, whenever MSV's songs are featured in some program, the judges and other celebrities will make politically correct comments about MSV, being guarded all along in the knowledge which side of their bread is buttered. Once the MSV sessions are over, they will be back to their ways going out of the way in eulogizing 'Raja Sir' et al.

It is my humble opinion that the self-serving comments of these hypocrites should be treated with the contempt they deserve. The honest, objective and scholarly evaluation of MSV's music by the learned members of our forum have more value, command greater authenticity and carry more conviction than the orchestered performances of the idiot box intellectuals.
parthavi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Martyrs' Day is`on Jan 30, not Aug 30, as I have inadvertently typed in my earlier message. I regret the error.
parthavi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Martyrs' Day is`on Jan 30, not Aug 30, as I have inadvertently typed in my earlier message. I regret the error.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: