"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The 3 Dimensions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Srinivass NV

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: The 3 Dimensions Reply with quote

Not long ago… routed deep inside my self, was an exceptional sense of Pride! Here Iam,… blessed with an intellectual ability to possess MSV, feel him conduct through my musical veins, cherishing an undescribable bliss whenever I listened or even recollected glimpses of his immortals.

My sense of pride rocketed higher whenever I looked around at this most pitiable world… a world of present-day Acoustics (Sorry!…that’s the way I could refer to the so-called Music Compositions…fewest exceptions excluded) wherein, forms of coughing, sneezing, yawning, etc., have been marketed as musical compositions… The poor music lover of today has become more and more mediocre, mistaking noise for music. Acoustic-Editors can now comfortably market their stuff… The pre-requisite is, one should have longest possible hairs or a pony tail to be spotted as a Musician. Here Iam,… blessed with an intellectual ability to recognize the divine amidst this junk!… I was certainly proud of myself, of my love towards my MSV...

Until I visited www.msvtimes.com !…

I confess… Peeping into the Forum Link has certainly humbled me!… Entharo Mahanubhavulu…Anthariki Na Vandanamu!… I bow before all of you…dear Brothers and Sisters of my MSV Family… This is one occasion where truly I could not find suitable words to convey the depth of my gratitude to the formulators of this great WebFamily. Thank you very much…for bringing us together.

Now,… like a child who eagerly waits for its turn to play the see-saw, with all delight I begin this small script about that great personality. This Script is not an attempt to conclude on something what I believe, instead, I would like to present it to this elite forum with a view to get an endorsement or to improvise over my current music Quotient & MSV Love. This Script is all about the undoubtedly Greatest Human Form of Light Music ever born in this World,…as viewed by an infant. Hence, I submit my apologies as a word of caution, now itself, for my probable mistakes. I have attempted to draft this Script in Three out of the innumerable Dimensions from where I could see and cherish MSV.

Prelude

Whenever I think of MSV (and ofcourse, I must mention another great musician “Illayaraja”) , I have wondered whether there could be any words to describe the greatness / genius / creativity that has been bestowed onto personalities like these?… I could only conclude this way :

“Any Creator is undoubtedly fond of his master-pieces… For example, a greatly appreciated Painting brings enormous pride to the person who did it… a Son who achieves great heights, certainly brings elation into the minds of his parents who created him. There are few Musicians like MSV and Illayaraja, of whom God can be enormously proud and say…’I created them’…”

To me, it appears that there could be only two Volumes for the Bible of Cine Music… The Volume-I was undoubtedly greater as it gave to the world newer dimensions in Sandham, Pronounciation of Lyrics, BGMs and Rhythms which has been the foundation for all the music that has come afterwards (consciously excluding the Acoustics referred above). Of course, Volume I had left some other areas like enhanced Orchestration and Application of Ragas as per Grammar… which the Volume-II never failed to cover.

Dimension 1

Whenever I think of Ragas in Cine Music, I personally feel, trying to attribute MSV’s songs to any pre-defined Raga or trying to decode the grammar behind his compositions with a view to identify it with a native Raga is almost impossible barring a few exceptions. I would rather say, all the Musicians / Composers of Indian Origin have invariably got themselves trapped into the boundaries of a specific Raga, with an acute disability of breaking the boundaries of the Raga (or its feel) without sounding disHarmonious in the melody. Even a genius like Illayaraja is no exception.

Illayaraja stays within the Raga Territory during the Melody and breaks the Territory only during Orchestrations. Any thing he had tried in contradiction to this, never ended deceivingly Harmonious. A token example : his “Om Namaha” song where he attempts to deviate the Raga Territory (at the Phrase “Maelaadai vilagi vilagi…”) is an obvious disharmony… Even a musically illiterate listener can easily spot the deviation in the melody due to the disharmony in that progression.

Having said this, I can now say, there is only one Genius in this whole world who has operated without any Raga Territory, still deceivingly sounding Harmonious & Indian at all occasions in all his Melody Progressions, over all the years. My ears have successfully failed at all occasions even to recognize phrases of grammatical deviations when this genius elegantly flew out of the Raga Territory during a melody progression. A classic example could be the Prelude Humming of the song “Paartha Nyabagam Illayo” where all the disHarmonious notes (Pa Da1 Da2 Ni1 Ni2 Sa) are represented with amazing harmony between Pa and Sa (Higher).

Pa Saa… Pa Ri2 Sa Ri2 Ni2…
Pa Nii1… Pa Sa Ni1 Sa Da2…
Ma1 Daa1… Ma Ni1 Da1 Ni1 Pa…

Perhaps… all other Musicians in the world could compose Music only with some conscious involvement, keeping track of their Compositions as they composed… To me, logically it appears for certain, MSV could never have composed Music consciously… There must have been a divine, natural algorithm which ensured he just over-flowed Music every time he wished to!…

Like Nature ensures every time a Mango Tree grows, it gives mangoes… But never once the ‘True Creator’ Nature has created two Mango Trees in exactly similar Shapes. Only the Fruit is ensured to taste good. Perhaps…Nature has always over-flowed like MSV!…

Dimension 2

Another unique aspect which has manifested from within this greatest Genius is the way he flows from Charanams back to the Pallavi or from the end of the Pallavi back to the beginning. Even a genius like Illayaraja has fumbled quite a number of times where his melody hits a wall, unable to find a progression to gel back harmoniously with the beginning of the Pallavi… although he finally manages a decent escape.

A perfect example of this imperfection could be “Kaalai nera Poonkuil…Kavidhai Paadudhu…” where the Genius Volume-II hits the wall at “Engae en Raagam…Swaram” (amazingly, the Lyrics too represent his inability at this point) and links back to the beginning of the Pallavi with a pathetic Humming. Probably… I feel, any Composer who is even accidentally conscious in composing, can encounter these sort of blind corners…

Again, having said this, I could never spot a single Melody across the whole 50 odd years of ‘Flow’ of MSV, where there has been one single occasion of this scarcity surfacing!… My intuition tells, this is no simple a thing… the great Almighty has not chosen to bless any other Musician in this world (across the horizon of my visibility) with the ability to be consistently perfect. Here, I would like to consciously add… All Divine Musical Saints like Sri Thyagaraja, Sastrigal & Dikshithar are obviously beyond the scope of this remark…

Dimension 3

The third dimension but not the least…

I have at times thought… What could ever be the factor which determines the greatness or Immortality of anything ? May it be an Event, a Person, a Creation or anything… In search of an answer, I came across a Philisophy…

“Anything which passes the test of TIME and survives across the mortal boundaries of Centuries & Civilizations, MUST BE GREAT”.

Sounded true!… Ramayan, Bible, Koran, Karna, Arunagiri, Naavukkarasar, Thyagaraja, Gandhi, Bharathi…are some superlatives I could immediately recollect to substantiate. Having understood this, I was not quite convinced about what really makes the above to survive across the mortal horizons… Is it
§ the ‘Quality’ of the output ?… or
§ the ‘Quantity’ of the output ?… or
§ the ‘Personality’ behind the output ?…or
§ any other Attribute?…

Somehow I was deeply convinced, all of the above can never be the reason for the kind of immortality the above have achieved. There must be something else which must determine immortality… I wanted to find out and get convinced what could it be? And as a blind attempt, I started substituting myself into the shoes of some personalities… and went into their shoes with my Characters and Potentials.

When I became a Gandhi with my Potential, I could see people making fun of me when I told them not to buy Foreign Goods. I was furious… When Gandhi told the same thing, 30 Crores of these fellows followed him just like that… and now…by telling the same thing I have become a laughing stuff. I quit Gandhi…

I chose to become a Bharathi with my Potential… I could see people laughing their Belly out when I said “Atchamillai Atchamillai Atchamenbadhillaiyae!!” One of them even commented “Naai Thoratthinaa Kooda Oada Maattaar Poala irukku!”… Deeply disheartened, I quit Bharathi…

I was truly confused now… When a Statement was told by someone, the world humbly follows and even cherishes the memories of the Statement as well as the personality for ages!… When the same Statement is uttered by someone else, it is mocked at… So,…

It cannot be the Grammar which makes something Immortal… Had it been the Grammar or mere Phrases, we would have innumerable immortals by now…

It is not the personality behind the event… If so, Salman Khan must be better off than Gandhi in immortality…

It is not the Voice which uttered the Statement… If so, many of our present day Politicians would become Immortals as their Voices could reach millions across the Country… And more importantly, they have the ability to deliver greater Statements which could stun the true Immortals by all means!…

It cannot be the Quality of the Output… Quality is always as what the Consumer perceives… and by all logical means, it would be unfair to let the great Immortals merited by mortal Consumers.

I could not find the answer to my Search in any of the books either… Until one fine day when somewhere from the winds floated Seerkazhi’s Voice as it Souled “Nambinaar Keduvadhillai… Naangu Marai Theerppu!”… making my eyes moisture instantly… I could realize some clue for my Search…

When a sophistically recorded tune, rich of all Technology, vanishes the very next season, here is a Melody which brings out the tears from my inner Self…after 40 years of its origin!… I felt I could get the right answer to my Search if I carefully go through the pages of the Genius Volume-I, MSV.

Here is a Melody which is exceptional and unblemished… I donot think there are any parallels to this Melody in the native Kalyani, atleast in this “Thisra Gathi”.

But to all of our Misfortune (and to the misfortune of MSV himself), if God would have chosen to create the present Day ‘Kavi Arasargal’ decades before, the Lyrics would have been as Meaningless and Dead as :
“Thanneeril Moozhgaadhu Kaatrulla Pandhu…
Ennoadu Nee Paadi Vaa Sindhu!”

Here the Melody would have demised immediately after its birth… Where is the question of immortality?

Instead atleast,… if God would have chosen to provide the Legendary Creator with a bank of Voices which would resemble the one which rendered “Matchu Kutchi!…Patthikicchi!”, instant mortality would have been ensured.

By now,…I felt, I could get some meaningful clarity… I began to summarize, the immortality of that Song can be logically attributed to :
§ An undisputed Soulful Melody (If one can close his eyes and imagine this Melody being sung by none other than the Greatest MSV himself, the Soul he has put in the Melody would be well evident)…
§ A great Poetical Immortal who could put his Soul into his Words with a true dedication to Lord Krishna…
§ A pair of Legendary Voices, the owners of which have a rare reputation of becoming the Character themselves while rendering…
§ A Genius Musician who has the ability to bring out the Soul from everyone who contributed to the Recording…
§ Also importantly, lack of Technology to mutilate the song and Record it in Bits and Pieces so that the Pallavi is recorded today and the Saranam on some other day…

To me, it sounded so logical that it convinced me to a fair extent that if something needs to be immortal, it requires the Soul to participate in the process of its creation. May it be a Speech, a Song, a Painting, a Poetry…and so on. The more Soul Energy with which it is delivered, the more it lasts… Perhaps… that’s why when Bharathi and Gandhi made Statements, the people abided by that…

Postlude

One sad thing… Our Indian Society always chooses to honour Greatness only when it is either in an Imported form or acknowledged by an imported form. This great man deserves much much much more than what the mediocre majority of this society could honour.

One question often ponders my mind often… Here is the Greatest Human Form of Light Music ever born in this World…which had generated millions and millions of immortal classic phrases. There has been once upon a time where this Genius had held many stages of lime light for decades… The genius is still there…blessing much younger Generations like me with his presence. How could there be such a turn around where we see most inferior forms of Acoustics being adored as great achievements… Amazingly painful,…I found yet another thing similar… This is not only true with the Genius Volume-I. The native World has done the same turn-around to the Genius Volume-II too!…

Is it because these Genius Personalities have lost their ability to ‘Create’?
or
Is it because the contemporary World has now truly become insane, mad after filthy Acoustics?

Logically, I could not find out any answer for the above… but… Astro’logically’ I could find something more convincing… I would share my thoughts on this with my MSV Family, in my next Script.

With Affection

NVS

S.Balaji

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a post ! Shocked Very Happy

And where were you men all these years !?

Honestly, I was under the impression that followers of MSV brand of music have all virtually vanished or may be they are not net savvy & hence I was searching for such souls who PHYSICALLY ENJOYED the music of genius live those days !

Here we have people like Mr. Sampath, you & all fans who have converged atlast thanks to the splendid efforts by the MSVtimes core group.

Srinivas, the post of yours today is just a beginning I know Very Happy
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Srinivas, with the advent of the REMIX culture which is the order of the day, its very clear that the running trend of today may soon disappear .

The very fact that old songs are being remixed is a clear indicator for LACK OF ORIGINALITY and TALENT to come out with NEW tunes within the 7 swaras .

We are bound to see more or remixes in the years to come.

Here I salute the contributions from MSV and Isainyani . Great talent they possessed & their achievements are beyond comparison !
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Sabhash Srinivas!!! Reply with quote

What a way to begin Mr. Srinivas? Tears rolled down my cheeks as I read thro'your post. I am sure many who will be reading this would go thro' the same emotion as that of mine. It was just an awesome writing combined with perfect vocabulary which I would equal with our Master's Melody and by the way your writing illustrated the malady of today's music!!! Your 3 dimensional views of MSV has further opened many dimensions for people like me. I consider MSV as the Greatest Musical Phenomenon of this Universe and I was really wondering who was going to vouch this fact for many years and BANG came your post. One similarity that I observed was (between you, me & Venkat) that there's no Melody or Music Beyond MSV!!! I am so proud and happy to have known you thro' a "Phenomenon" called MSV! Mr. Srinivas it's only our Master's Blessings that we are having people like you to visit our site and write and & educate us more.

I would rate your posting as one of the best ever winessed on this site and may you continue forever.

MSVTIMES.COM EXTENDS A VERY WARM WELCOME TO YOU. LONG LIVE SHRI. MSV AND HIS MUSIC!!!

WARM REGARDS
VAIDY
CORE CREW-MSVTIMES.COM
tvvraghavan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: What should I say ? Reply with quote

Dear NVS,
As I am reading your article, am just experiencing something so different or Divine that I have not experienced in years...am totally spellbound !!! Is this what people call as the Eternal Bliss, Harmony, joy ? I just dont remember any previous instance when I had such an experience while reading nor I have read such a Tribute or analysis by someone on somebody !!!!

What an analysis and presentation !!!!

Many times , we become happy through material possessions which becomes very volatile as the time passes (both the happiness and the possession !! ), but I could feel an Inner joy today by reading your article which I think can never fade as it is within me.

Many times, I feel and question myself "Am I missing something ?" by only listening to our Master's compostions....Probably , YES !!! Yet, having read your article today , I feel so proud and am happy for myself as I understand that I HAVE NOT missed anything to repent for or regret about and I can happily remain the same forever.

Thanks for such an article and please enthrall all of us with such amazing postings forever !!!

MSV Rules !!!

Venky
S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear NVS,

"Endharo Mahanubhavulu Andhariki Vandhanamu".

My vandhanam to the Mahan from Hosur. What a writing!! Hi, everyone. Here is the phenomenon called "N.V.Srinivass" who is going to rule the forum from now on. I feel like a Liliputan before him.

We welcome u Sir with a sense of pride. You r the person who could carry forward the mission and objective of this website in the right perspective.

regards
Sampat
s.r.sankaranarayanan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEAR MEMBERS,

There is lyric to the music.Can there be a lyric to an experience of an immortal music by an ultimate composer.There is. The sceptics can check out.

WELCOME,WELCOME SRINI,HEARTIEST WELCOME!

AND MEMBERS,LET THE TRIBE OF SAMPATS & SRINIS GROW IN THESE PAGES.let me take the privilage of introducing srini.He is musically knowledgable,die hard msv (highest in the your ranking system+1).He has a compositional bent of mind(remember srini we have tried something during late eigties).His only son is named Visvanathan,(no guesses ,why).

when srini told me he is preparing some articles in these pages,frankly i never expected such a post,Though i am aware of his intensity of analysis,
I am pleasantly surprised by the sheer lyricism of the language.See how he is able to point at the present day cacophony masquerading as great
compositons without sounding cynical.(i am reminded of asokamitran"s prose).So we have a writer on masters music who writes musically,and probably someday our SAMPATH may end up notating SRINIS writings.

Incidentally,I came across some 15 articles serialised as classical ilayaraaja posted in a blog written in early nineties by one doctor from austin. While i was musing at the captivating tone & symmetry of his language(believe me,it is Rarity),there is bolt from the blue in the form of Srinis article.

Welcome once again, srini .
Enlighen us with your solos,Sampath,Srini
and jugalbandhi too.

s.r.sankaranarayanan[/b]
Srinivass NV

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: To my dearest MSV Family… Reply with quote

To my dearest MSV Family…

Often I have longed to be purposeful… I wished, God blesses me with atleast a few purposes in life… if not many; All along these 40 Years of existence, I have lived a life which has not been so purposeful other than to an extent of living for my biological Family. Today, I feel the magnanimous Almighty has at last, decided to be kind towards me… I have got the opportunity to interact with another Family which is more nearer to my Soul… Words would certainly be insufficient to thank my best friend & Mentor S.R.Sankara Narayanan for introducing this great Family to me.

If what this smallest creature writes, can make my Family feel elated, it is the merit of the Subject written about : MSV; certainly not the merit of this purposeless being. Even the Pride I have is only because I am blessed with an ability to recognize MSV, Love him limitless… nothing otherwise;

I feel blessed with all your affection; If you all permit me, I would submit all the appreciations to your feet. Naayanmaars have always maintained… Adiyaars are more honourable than the God himself!…

My Vandhanams to all the Adiyaars of MSV;

With Affection

NVS
Ram

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear NVS,

Absolutely fabulous article!

Your article brought a big glow to this website and the forum, which was slightly missing in the past week. Your article is so timely and fantastic that it rejevenated the energy within every one in this MSV Club!

Words fail to convey what I feel, but I have to place my request with this limited vocabulary:

"Please Continue!"
irenehastings

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honourable mr. n.v.srinivas

you started your innings with a great sixer in the very beginning, in the first ball itself, where the ball gone out of the stadium. i feel proud and lift my collar for i am also one among the audience sitting in the msv stadium and watching your wonderful innings.

we are having mr.n.v.srinivas, mr.s.sampath, mr.s.balaji as very good batsmen under the captaincy of mr.ram and vice captaincy of mr.vaidy.

definitely this team will be winning always.

i am keenly watching your play and whistling. thank god i got the membership to enter in msv stadium and encouraging the players, eventhough i am not batting. but oneday i will bat and score few runs, because i have wonderful roll models here.

our msv sir should read these writings by our jambawans srinivas, sampath and balaji. definitely he will return back to his age of 50s.

music means msv
msv means music
irenehastings

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The 3 Dimensions Reply with quote

Srinivass NV wrote:
My sense of pride rocketed higher whenever I looked around at this most pitiable world… a world of present-day Acoustics (Sorry!…that’s the way I could refer to the so-called Music Compositions…fewest exceptions excluded) wherein, forms of coughing, sneezing, yawning, etc., have been marketed as musical compositions… The poor music lover of today has become more and more mediocre, mistaking noise for music. Acoustic-Editors can now comfortably market their stuff… The pre-requisite is, one should have longest possible hairs or a pony tail to be spotted as a Musician.

question by mr.n.v.srinivas:
"what is the qualification to become a music director now?"

answer by irenehastings:
"if you have money to purchase four key-boards and a drum set, then you are a music director".

question by mr.n.v.srinivas:
"then how about tunes?"

answer by irene:
"my god, in which world are you in now. take the pervious songs of tamil, hindi, english. pick here and there. then put it in a mixi. tune ready. present cinema directors will give you certificate with the words 'i never heared such a wonderful composition in my life'. then what you need?. within few months you will grow up to the level of income-tax raid".
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: HAPPY MSV! Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Srinivas,

I was with the legend just now (MSV is recovering after a heart bye-pass surgery and I carried lunch from my house for him) and informed him about your writing on the site. I explained to him detail about your writing and he kept on asking questions about what you had written. I promised him that I will get the print out and translate it to him. He was also pleasantly surprised when I had told him that you had named your son "Viswanathan". I would request you to speciafically post a message for him on the MSV GREETING link provided by us. As informed by Ram, we'll have all these messages printed out and read out to him on the 3rd of March 2007.

Cheers
vaidy
msvramki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear NVS,

Our Heartiest Welcome to you to msvtimes.com family and thank you very much for your 'great' analytical writeup on the greatest of great Music Creators , Sri MSV.

Though I am one of the key core crew of the site (Ram, the Moderator of the site is my SON), I did not post a line till date for many pre-occupations, but your article enthused me to start writing on the unimaginable creations of the 'Swayambu'. The objective with which we had created the site is getting fully fulfilled with the mindboggling writings of yourself, Sampat, Sankar and others. This should continue to make generations know about the musical wonders created by Mellisai Mannar much ahead of time.

Eagerly await to see your postings

Ramki

Srinivass NV

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Thank you all, very much Reply with quote

Dear MSVRamki, irenehastings,

I feel truly blessed with all your affection. Thank you very much.

K.Attn : Ram, MSVRamki, Vaidymsv,
To speak out the truth, it must be me who should be grateful to you all for the kind of effort and contributions you and the Core team has made in hosting this WebFamily.

A couple of hours ago, I received the CDs of the "MSV Times" Inaugural Function from my friend S.R.Sankaranarayan...

How do I find words to thank you all?

I may be adoring my Deity in my hearts... but have done nothing in return for what the Genius had blessed me with. You are the great people who have put it in reality...

Vaidy,
I am so moved at the moment of writing this... There cannot be a better Service to Humanity rather than serving this Genius...
I will certainly Post a Special Message for Him; (I could not locate the Link...Could you pls help me?)

On behalf of millions of his Fans I pray God for his Speedy recovery...and may God bestow all good things to you all.

Affectionately Yours

NVS
irenehastings

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S.Balaji wrote:
What a post ! Shocked Very Happy

Srinivas, the post of yours today is just a beginning I know .

And where were you men all these years !?

mr s.balaji

there are hardcore msv fans with full details and notations about the songs of msv sir.

now they found the correct platform 'msv times.com' and started to come and to pour their wonderful writings.

soon they will make us to sink in the floods of the music of msv sir.

long live msv.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: