"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Server Sundaram

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Movies - A Special Section!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S.V.Srinivasan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Server Sundaram Reply with quote

I got hold of a DVD of Server Sundaram last week and saw it over the weekend. Fortunately, the print was excellent and so I could really enjoy the movie. I was bowled over by MM's music. While all the songs are great, I particularly enjoyed "Silai Eduthan Oru Chinna Pennukku", "Poga Poga Theriyum" and, of course, the saaga-varam petra "Avalukkenna Azhagiya Mugam". In particular, "Poga Poga Theriyum" is mind-blowing in its melody, orchestration and, more particularly, Kaviarasar's lyrics. How subtly his words covey the heroine's erotic message to the hero! "Yen kadhal unakkaga padhai vaguthalum payanam vaaramal irupadhenna?"!!!

All of us must have seen "Avalukkenna Azhagiya Mugam" dozens of times on TV. Yet, every time one sees this song, what a kick one gets on seeing a young, energetic MSV conducting the orchestra and guiding TMS in this song!
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Srinivasan,
We also saw this movie in the DVD last week. I had pivcked a special taste of the song 'Thathai Nenjam' when saw in that movie. Very rare song of MSV which goes in the 'madhyama shrithi' (SA-MA1-DA2 HORMONY) like 'athaan en athaan'. So I was thinking about that song only for few days.

N Y MURALI
madhuraman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Server Sundaram Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
The very name of the movie 'Server Sundaram' draws out enormous replay of nostalgia, in the sense it had so much to offer to the audience by way of 'seeing' the studio floors -a dream for the then lovers of movies. Media did little to project photo images of studios, their owners technicians, Singers and MDs. To see MSV as an aetiste on screen vividly conducting the session of recording in an unusual attire, [in full suit] and making swift and apt signals stands quite mesmerising to-date. Later several MDs have appeared on screen in their oficial role as MDs. To me not one has convinced me of the very relevance of those pieces. Not because I admire MSV but because I do not accept irrelevance. As for, 'Server Sundaram' there is nothing irrelevant because the whole sequence was shot in the very natural arrangement in AVM studios. One can see the wall display'silence please' and layers of orchestra seated from where instrumentalists 'spring up' like overnight mushroom heads and drop back soon after their role.Not one of them appears 'acting'. Look at MSV himself, as a composer / conductor he does'nt stare at the camera even for a fraction of second. A total dedication is the real message. We find all the music wizrds of MSV's troupe besides of course the then young man Valee seated at the I place close to camera wearing black pants and richly 'printed' shirt. Also we see TMS standing up to his full reputation in form and figure while the MD quickly turns either way in full command of the situation.
The other song 'Thathai Nenjam' is another feather on the cap of Movie-makers AVM and on MSV's. MSV has made Mr.Sadhan render those parrot calls in consonance with the tune for the lyric repeating the terminal phrases in parrot's style. But, as the phrase in the song 'Koththum kiLi' is sung by PS, Mr. Sadhan responds like a parrot in ecsasy eleganly portraying the love of the bird to the master makingout swift calls. What an imagination and rendition, for, those were days when 'cut and paste' could not be done. Another dimension of MSV came in full flow during re-recording.'thathai nejam' is placed just before the intermission in the movie. As the card 'IDAI VELAI' is hung up, MSV has utilized Mr.Sadhan to say it in parrot voice. There are many such nuances far ahead of the times but rendered to perfection though not backed-up by technology. We owe a special thanks to A V Meyyappa Chettiar, who insisted that 'Visu should be shown conducting the recording for the song "avaLukkenna". Had it not happened, we would have lost for ever the occasion to know of the whole process as it occurred those days and the then superiority of intellect over that of gadgets and technology.
Thank you all for the opprtunity.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai.
Venugopalan Soundararajan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: "Server Sundaram" Songs - Gems Reply with quote

Dear Prof,

Nice recalling. Thanks. Coincidentally, just before my leaving for office this morng “Avalukkenna” was played on Kalaignar TV and I was delighted to sit and watch the entire song before leaving home. Though the number of times I have seen this song is countless, still every time I watch it, I feel thrilled as if I am seeing it for the first time. Nothing can give me more pleasure than watching the Master swinging in to action and conducting in his inimitable style.

In fact, all the songs of SS are gems, including “Silai Eduthan Oru Chinnap Pennukku” & “Paattonru Tharuvar Paaradiyamma”. But most unfortunately, the family planning song (when Nagesh & Family meets Maha Vishnu in Swarga Logam) “Dhambhadiyaip Paarum Indha Dhambhadiyaip Paarum” is an amazing number, but is never shown on TV. It’s a lengthy song which covers every thing – folk, classical, western & what not.

Coming to Sadan doing the Parrot voice, its only “halwa saappadradhu madhiri” for him. In “Ponaal Pogattum Poda”, he has brought sounds of almost all the animals of the jungle “migath thathrubamaaga”. Another number immediately coming to mind is “Poo Poova Parandhu Pogum Pattu Poochi Akka” from “Dhikku Theriyadha Kaattil”. Of course, the one that most readily comes to mind is “Kadavul Amaithu Vaitha Medai” from “Aval Oru Thodar Kathai”, where Sai Baba supported Sadan well in again bringing about animal sounds, apart from playing “Nathaswaram” etc. While not taking away any credit from Sadan & Sai Baba in superbly mimicking, the entire credit should go to the Legend for most intelligently and perfectly inserting the right sounds at the right places. These things are possible by the one and only MSV.

Cheers!

Venu Soundar
madhuraman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Movies Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Vishu,
With your eager eyes for Mangalamoorthy and others, may I request you to freeze the frame and look for Valee too? Yes, among the front layer members of orchestra, Valee is the very first member in the near extreme left in dark pants and slender looks of his youth conspicuously devoid of his tell-tale beard. Though I can recognize many of them, I fail to mentally register each one, as I am deeply consumed by the bee-like briskness of MSV by sheer articulation of signals to his stupendous orchestra setting forth [a hitherto unparalleled filming of a song recording] a magic of sorts; the start of the song on Rhythmic Drum beats and brass before MSV abruptly turns to Dhoti-clad TMS signalling him to come out- a gem of a piece that stays etched in me from the day I saw the movie in 1964-65 as a final year B.Sc student in Mysore. Many subsequent movies have portrayed recording of songs with the MD in place. But none has ever managed the articulation of MSV despite the euphoria about those MDs and the technology back-up richly enjoyed by the later ones.
Thanks for the opportunity.
Warm regards Prof. Camp: Mumbai
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear professor,
By chance, has anyone of the film makers or studio people or whomsoever present during this recording of 'Avalukkenna' possess the complete video recording or film shooting of this song? This was a landmark piece and deserves preservation for posterity. We all would be delighted if this shooting track could be traced.
Sai Saravanan
madhuraman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Movies Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Sai Saravanan,
Your request for 'avaLukkenna' shooting sequences is rather straight forward, in the sense the movie was done by AVM, a firm still in the same business. Apparently, AVM archives must be the best option. Getting it out or a copy there of on CD should be a workable proposition if we work our way through someone like SP Muthuraman who holds MM in high esteem. May be as an outfit, MSVtimes.com can explore the possibility clearly explaining the request from MSV fans and that there are no commercial motives behind. It should work, if right sources are tapped by right agencies. I shall talk to some of our organizers when I meet them in about 20 days from now.Meanwhile similar possibilities could be considered by others as well.
Thank you for the opportunity.
Warm regards Prof. Camp: Mumbai.
saradhaa_sn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear friends,

When we are discussing about the initial portion of the song 'AvaLukkenna azhagiy mugam', in which Mellisai mannar, his troup, Vaali, TMS are shown, I have two doubts to clear...

# 1. The movie was done by 'Mellisai MannarGAL', but only Mannar (MSV) was shown in the movie. what about the other Mannar (TKR)..?

# 2. The song is a duet number, sung by TMS & LRE. But only TMS is shown in the movie. What about LRE?. why she was not shown (even the lyricist Vaali was caovered by camera)?. Eventhough her portion starts when the shooting moved to location, atleast she must have shown, standing in front of mike, beside TMS. is it not..?.

Can anybody clear my doubts..?.
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends,
The response from our professor deserves some support. Whoever can pitch in to garner the original video shooting of this song may please help...The video can hold some answers for our doubts too! But, I believe it was a challenge posed to the movie makers to get up a live recording for an audience from abroad, may be to showcase their capabilities too? Whatever be the reason, we have MM shot in that attire, an image etched in gold forever, for the sake of posterity! Let us attempt to get this video!
Thanks Professor,
Sai Saravanan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Movies - A Special Section! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: