"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grand initiation by Mellisai Maamannar's Modira viral
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Singers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
parthavi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Shankar,

I think you are right about Maharajapuram having not sung in any film.

About Sangamam, I had the opportunity of witnessing this performance in 1991 in Narada Gana Sabha, Alwarpet. I have very little knowledge about Carnatic Music. But I found the program highly enjoyable. I can't say anything more than this. The performance itself was lively with both MSV and MVS expressing their mutual admiration for each other. MVS said that he was a fan of MSV. PBS, the Master of Ceremonies added a lot of spice through his interesting comments. But I was disappointed that I couldn't find any review of this program in the press. People like Subbudu seemed to have ignored it.

The album was released by HMV. The HMV executive was also present on the occasion and spoke a few words. I also bought the cassettes as soon as they were released (I was looking forward to that) and I still have them with the HMV label. Sari ga ma might have bought the rights from HMV subsequently. Anyway, this is a trivial matter and I am just mentioning it in passing.

This topic has been discussed in the forum already and you may find the discussion interesting and useful.
Here is the link for that.

http://msvtimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1529&highlight=maharajapuram

Regards.
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Shankar,
Thanks for information on BMK's entry in TFM through Kalai Kovil. Indeed, it is a grand initiation for him in TFM.
Regarding the entry of Maharajapuram Santhanam, the song appears in the film "Roshakkaari", if I am right. (I believe this is so as also confirmed by Mr.Raghavan). The song is an opening prayer in Bhoopaalam, fills the entire ambiance just as the early morning breeze.
Sai Saravanan
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends,
Coming to think of the class of singers MM has initiated thus far, would it not be right to include HIMSELF in this list!!?? Why not? In fact, singing by a music director in his/her music was not a practice (in this form of music composition like KVM, MM, etc.) until MM came on the scene himself. Therefore, I humbly feel that MM is one of the greatest singers initiated by this trendsetting phenomena, started by himself!
Sai Saravanan
madhuraman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Singers Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Shankar,
Mr. MSV had started his innings as singer much earlier than in "pAva mannippu". The lofty back up singing in 'ThazhayAm poo mudichu' in "BAga pirivinai" [ TMS , P Leela] was by none other than MM. Till date he has stayed in grand silence about it and knowledgeable MDs and movie makers make use of him taking care not to to give serious publicity to it. Everything about MM in music is grand to say the least.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai.
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Prof,
We found that he had sung a song in Raja Malayasimhan in the year 1958 which could be his first.

N Y MURALI
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Shankar and friends,
Thanks, and I agree with you when you said that there were other music directors giving their own voices, probably earlier than MM. In fact, G.Ramanathan used to also sing. They were all transient wonders as singers! During this discussion, I had tried to differentiate the two different categories, viz., one-time wonders (some of them just sang a song, and some a few more), and some became full-fledged singers (some with a short innings and some, longer). Maybe we can count KVM and GR in the first category. But, definitely not our MM. He IS a full fledged playback singer just like any other great like TMS, Seergazhi, SPB. His styles varied from hummings, openings, whistlings, solos, duets, and so on...(we MSVians are all aware of these). Therefore, I included MM HIMSELF in this small list of "grand initiations by MM"!!
The quality of singers introduced by him; the type/s of songs for these singers introduced by him--MM had divya dhrishthi as well as doora dhrishthi (vision of future!). Of course, when Brahma creates, He knows his creation! As humans, let us only praise MM for these creations!

Sai Saravanan
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends,
In one of the recent stage shows, our MM 'initiated' the comedian Vadivelu to sing songs. Vadivelu proclaimed victoriously that he too had sung in our MM's music direction. he considered this as a grand initiation.
Sai Saravanan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Singers All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: