"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dada Saheb Phalke award to KB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> "How to Register?", News, Announcements, Photo Gallery, Video Gallery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Dada Saheb Phalke award to KB Reply with quote

Friends,
This evening while browsing for emails, I came across the news item that director K.Balachander has been honoured with the prestigious Dada Saheb Phalke award. This news figures in Rediff.com, sify, etc., and do not know if has been publicly announced yet. However, if this were true, it certainly gives us pleasure to hear the news. Of course, solely for the fact that he had approached our MM for composing music for most of his important films. Probably, those with MM stand out the test of time, and he deserves this award for his work. The best songs in his films are by MM, right from 'Muthu kulikka vareegala'. As is a natural phenomenon, those tuned by others afterwards, alas, are long forgotten, and less remembered...Therefore, in my opinion (sorry for the obvious bias) he climbed the ladder of success and reached eternity due to MM's music (shall I say?).
Regards,
Sai Saravanan
parthavi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Mr. Sai, it is official.

But there is something interesting. When he was asked by the Hindu how he managed to ensure that the music in all his films were superhit numbers, he said, "As a director, I have always felt responsible for all the departments in filmmaking. With that conviction, it was possible to bring out the best in my technicians."

So, no credit to the Music Directors!
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parthavi Sir

KB poured his emotions during that Jaya TV Hariyudan Naan programme when he met MSV . Unforgettable...thats what he said ! Very Happy
parthavi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Balaji,

That was a rare moment when MSV's music replayed through the singers should have dissolved the ego of this man. I have already written about his pettymindedness in replacing the signature tune of his films - the soulful Agara mudhala sung by MSV with a flat version of the same by his (then) newfound MD.
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sirs,
I agree with your observations. He used to remark about V.Kumar now and then, a bit about MM, and for sometime about IR, and later, about certain odd people whom he had used like Keeravani, etc. All of them relegated to the position of a simple technician.
Only on some rare moments, probably due to the presence of many popular people on the dias or audience, he praises or comments on people.

I still remember the show our MM did for Tamil DD sometime in 1989-90. MM had met various artistes and discussed variety of things in his compositions. On one episode featuring KB, MM kept speaking (with his usual touch of humility and excitement) and KB was just a mute witness, staring elsewhere, and not 'participating' at all in the interview completely. This was when he had already changed from MM to IR. It was a sight of sadness for me. The feelings were, sort of echoed by MM himself, when in his final episode he sang a small song composed for the show. He sang a line which said that he thanked those who came to his show, who participated, and also those who did not come (or refused to?). It saddened even those friends of mine who did not have much to do with MM or songs.

Well, MM accepts all with great affection and equal respect. Therefore, on his behalf, let us also accept and admire them for their contribution.

Thanks,
Sai Saravanan
madhuraman

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: How to register Reply with quote

Dear Mr Sai,
Your reference to MM's 'muthukkuLikka vareeyaLa', though pertinent slightly relegates the issue that had it not been for the songs, the hit movie "BAmA vijayam" would just have remained one of the ever so- many comedy subjects in TF and it was earlier to 'Anudhavi rAjA anubavi'. Also your reference to MM's 'THIRAIYUM ISAIYUM' on DD 1988-89 was a significant pointer to the characters of personalities. In the particular episode, KB was mortally afraid of opening his mouth, where as in the opening of the episode MSV gleefully invites KB,recalling the number 'oru peNNaippArthu nilavai pAthEn' of "Deiva thAi" though KB was just a dialogue writer for that MGR starrer. These are items for us to 'understand' people for what they are worth.
Thanks for the opportunity.
Warm regards K.Raman Madurai.
parthavi

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To put the record straight and give credit where it is due, I am mentioning this. During MSV's program in DD in the eighties (which Mr. Sai has referred to), KB mentioned, "Some of my films have failed. But MSV's music (for these films) have never failed." This was a comment that came from KB's heart and I will always remember this in appreciation of KB. But such occasions are rare. When he got opportunities to appreciate MSV, KB has not been at his effusive best. He is more concerned with self projection.

My impression about KB is that he is not musically inclined (like Sridhar or even MGR) and has probably not realized the contribution of MSV's music to his films till much later. The point of my first mail was that when a question was put to him specifically about music in his films having been super hit, he should have had the grace to acknowledge the contribution of music directors, even without naming any MD specifically. His reply sounds like, "After all, it is my show. Things cannot be otherwise." I did not appreciate this.
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parthavi Sir,

We are all devotees of Mellisai Mannar and hence get upset if someone associated with our Master fail to mention about his contribution to his success...in this case KB ..... if we view from KB's perspective, he had some giants like Kavignar ( later Valee ) , Ananthu, Cinematographer Balakrishnan ? , Art Director Bharani and many others no !

I dont think KB had any such insecurity that he should not praise MSV during Ilayaraja's regime.... IR infact worships MSV as his mentor and inspiration .....somehow many people attribute this to Ilayaraja...not at all.....

Why MSV for that matter.... anyone today talk about the legendary G.Ramanathan or KVM ? Is there a match for their matchless contribution ....sad they are almost forgotten by even men of our period no ?

I REQUEST YOU ALL VETERANS TO WRITE MORE ABOUT GR AND KVM.... MELLISAI MANNAR WILL BE DELIGHTED ...
Some of us carry a growse that KB switched over to Ilayaraja in the 80s ..... why KB ? even Sridhar no ? infact it was Sridhar who first moved to IR from Ilamai Oonjalaadurigadhu.... after that he never went back to MSV though MSV had given superb songs even when Sridhar was past his best...Urimai kural and Meenavananban etc.... I dont remember even Sridhar mentioning about the value addition of MSV's music for his success... Pls enlighten if he had given any such statement .... I know Sridhar doesnt speak much in functions...

Atleast KB was with MSV till Agni saatchi . right ?

Indeed KB was musically inclined...else he wouldnt have taken Apoorva ragangal !

Concluding.... that Hariyudan Naan was really an emotional reunion between the 2 champions ....KB was truly exhibiting his admiration for Mellisai Mannar...

Only Muktha was with MSV till Paritchaikku neramaachu I think....
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sirs,
All the above points, so aptly described, bring forth one fact: that MM's music has been the torchbearer, the engine, and many a time, a life support for the films, its directors, heroes, and what not. Few recognize - all the time, few very rarely and a few never. More so, they hardly ever speak. The lament is that KB has been quite rare with his comments, and never appropriately timed. It is not to say that he lacked the musical perspective, but quite reserved with his words on the music director, but attributes them to his plot or sequences and situations, etc. This was the cause for this anguish. It is probably his way or style of expression.
Thanks,
Sai Saravanan
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sirs,
All your comments are so appropriate and valuable. Taking off from where Mr. Shankar reminded us (again), I feel we should be studying and evaluating the contrast that our MM brought forth by his contribution to KB's films. The new genre of songs, type of music, new styles, new singing styles, fresh singers, new instruments, mimicry, dialogue, new (or) rare raagas, songs carrying the film story, and so on ...The list could have a few more. Let us cite a quick list to make the list meaningful:

Rarities: Dr.Balamuralikrishna singing 'Mounathil vilayadum' in Noolveli; Shiek in 'Apoorva raagangal'

Dr.BMK's suggestions on Mahati to MM for experimentation in 'Apoorva raagangal'; MM's use of rare raagas like Madhuvanthi (or at least sounding near this raaga) in Nizhal nijamagirathu

Mimicry in Kamal starers ('Junior', 'Kadavul amaithu', etc.)

Folk with modern western and Indian instrument mixes: 'Muthu kulikka vareegala', 'Engayum eppothum', 'Siva Sambo', etc.

Songs with dominant solo instruments like guitar: 'what a waiting..' in Ninaithale inikkum, flute in 'ippadi or taalattu', Tabla in 'yaadum ooraey', 'raagangal padinaaru', etc. to name a few

Dialogue style composition in 'Sippi irukkudu'

Song with no words: SPB/SJ song in Ninathale inikkum

Bharathiyaar's songs in a kind of new genre: 'Theertha karayinile' in Varumayin niram sivappu

Complete musical film: Ninaithaale inikkum

Dominant voice for the villain or a second hero: For Rajinikanth in Moondru mudichu and Ninaithaale inikkum

Hero/heroine in songs: Saritha in 'Kanaakaanum kangal mella'

Classical: Vani J: in Apoorva raagangal, 'Nallador veenai' in Varumayin niram sivappu, etc.

Comedy: 'Varavu ettanaa', etc.

The listing is incomplete as I am unable to correctly cite the exact movie of many songs or the sequences, etc. The examples and type could be more than this or may be I have split certain types into two...? But whatever the types maybe, each and every instance has come out unique, one of its kind, genuine, exemplary, memorable, alive even now. Let me not sound pleading for recognition of MM's work; I was only ruminating on his creations, and reminding myself of the grandeur of his creations! These thoughts emerged. I feel that this is just a sample that I thought about in a few minutes about his work for KB...God! How many more such gems have emerged from him for various other directors, heroes, etc.! The varieties are unfathomable, and the list will grow like a mountain!

Thanks for the opportunity to meditate on MM's creations,
Sai Saravanan
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Shankar,
Excellently summarised again!

Recently our MM remarked on the 'Kaatrukkenna veli' recording. He was mentioning the power of lyrics, (but of course, did not speak of the divinity of his own music,) which actually resulted in a heavy, unusual, unpredicted downpour in Chennai after its recording!

Regarding the raaga of 'Illakkanam maarudo': I, of course, do have any musical knowledge to identify the raaga as Madhuvanti, but, as I had written in that posting, it could be so, and it sounds quite similar. Many of my friends thought so, but unable to confirm. One reason could be that this raaga is unfamiliar in this part of the country, and it is a Hindustani raaga. Even in the Hindustani circles, it is less familiar. It is known to be a late afternoon raaga. I ruminated on this for the past 30-35 years, without initially knowing that tunes sounding like this were called as Madhuvanti. But I was pleasantly 'infected' by this raaga with MM's songs sounding similar (Kaadal kaadal endru-uttaravindri ulle vaa, Hello my dear wrong number, etc.) and many such songs. May not be Madhuvanti, but sounding similar. I feel strongly that IR was also drawn towards this because of MM's songs and started using this heavily. Mostly in the interludes, just to transcend to higher feelings of ecstasy, and then dropping back to whatever raaga he had initially started with. Then he came on with VJ's 'En ullil engo' in this strain and still uses this to fill in the interludes. It can be safely verified right from his compositions like 'How to name it', etc. Therefore, I had mentioned that he had used some rare raagas under KB (even under other directors, of course!).

What a divine flow! God has created MM and has channelised such streams of immortality!

Thanks for the opportunity,
Sai Saravanan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> "How to Register?", News, Announcements, Photo Gallery, Video Gallery All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: