"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

club dance songs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Venkat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All,
After reading the incident of Mr.Raghavan Vasudevan, an incidence which i experienced in Bombay comes to my mind. This happened in front of Oberoi Towers, Nariman Point in the year 1995. I went with my friends. We asked a taxi driver about a place (how to go etc..). He asked us whether we are Madrasi. We told "Yes".
For which he replied. "Aah... Madrasi wala chalu aadmi..." and sang the song "Kanne Kaniye Muthu Maniye Aruge Vaa...".
I was very much surprised and very happy to hear this song from him... Smile
Thanks Mr.RV for sharing you HP experience, which made me recollect my Bombay experience... Smile
Venkat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming back to the topic of Hindi Music Composers. Two (came to my mind while posting this) wonderful composers
1. Hemant Kumar (Anupama, Khamoshi, who can forget Bees Saal Baad).
2. Khayyam (Kabhie Kabhie, Umrao Jaan, Razia Sultan...
Theheriya Hosh Men Aa Loon (Rafi and Suman Kalyanpur) from Mohabbat Is Ko Kehte Hain,
the list will keep going...)
There may be more prominent composers, but right now these two came to my mind who are missed in the list...
Venkat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr.RV,
As you said in many kannada songs I have seen the influence of MM either in the tune or in the orchestra (I have many Kannada songs of 50s 60s 70s and 80s).

Some months back I saw in one of the Kannada channels, the song "Kadhalin pon veedhiyil kadhalan pan paadinaan..." in kannada version with same tune (Srinath, the VP of Udaya TV and Kannada Manjula). I am not sure who is the composer.

Another song similar to Kuzhandayum Deviamum gunathal ondru and many more...

And ofcourse our Master has also scored some Kannada films...
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sirs,
When you make a typical song lover in North India listen to the songs of, e.g., Saathi composed by Naushadji, you get a cold response - 'so unlike of Naushadji...' Naushad had time and again spoken about the difficulties he had encountered to change his usual style to tune the songs like MM, to reflect the original movie's flavour. Even now when you browse for the songs of this movie, you find remarks by many about the strange style of the compositions. [It takes time for people to understand the essence of MM's style or styles and accept.] But then his uniqueness is what is visible in his compositions or those that have been inspired by his compositions - these comments on Naushad is a standing testimony for MM's unique style or his uniqueness. Like many other MDs (no one in particular) he does not have to copy. He is an original spring of everlasting divinity and music flows like an eternal stream.
Thanks,
Sai
s ramaswamy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.

Very interesting topic, the styles of Hindi film music directors and MSV's. In fact I had mentioned in some other forum that the song "Zindagi hai khel...anadi hai koi, khiladi hai koi (in a film that came in the 1970s) resembles "Andru Oomai Pennallo" from "Parthal Pasi Theerum". I think RDB was the MD of that film.

Also it was RDB who picked the first line of "Muthu Kulikka Vaaregala" and developed a song that then deviated from the original tune of MSV's. The film was a Mehmood starrer, if I am not mistaken.

"Ulagamengum Ore Mozhi" song from "Nadodi" (mid sixties release) was replicated in a song from the film "Dhund", that came in the early 70s, 1973 to be precise and by googling got info that it was produced by BR Chopra and MD was Ravi (called Bombay Ravi in Malayalam films).

There must be other such instances too.
parthavi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear SR Shankar,

Very good compilation. I am sure there should be more such numbers. I remember that you have in an earlier mail written about other Hindi remakes of Tamil films like Sever Sundaram, Kadalikka Neramillai etc. as well.

This kind of specific comparisons will go to quash the two popular misconception
1) Tamil songs of 60's and 70's were not as good as their contemporary Hindi numbers.
2) Tamil songs were inspired from Hindi songs.

People have been using Veda's style to taint all Tamil film songs in general.

People like YG Mahendran and CV Rajendan have gone on record asserting that MSV's numbers in Hindi remakes have excelled their Hindi counterparts.

I think one of the aspects to be discussed in more detail is the orchestration. Even haunting melodies of Hindi films will fall by the wayside if we compare the quality of orchestration used in them with that used by MSV in Tamil films.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: