"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KARNAN SONGS ARE NOT THE CLASSIC TYPES

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meenakshi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: KARNAN SONGS ARE NOT THE CLASSIC TYPES Reply with quote

Enna Anban sir ippadi solliteenga. Surprised. If Karan songs are not classic what songs can be classified as classic? Ovvoru songs'um thEn, beyond that. Since it is a classic, people are still hearing it. I heard from my father and my relatives the following: K V Mahadevan was ruling the roost especially in terms of classical and semi-classical numbers based film songs. Every one already knew that KVM was a master in these areas. When Karnan was first announced with the music of Viswanathan-Ramamurthy, everyone was skeptical about something miserable was going to happen. It seems even director was asking V-R frequently if they were confident enough to score for this classical-based movie and able to match KVM's repertoire. When songs came out, those who were staunch KVM fans shifted to V-R camp and stayed there permanently. My father was one among them. Such a phenomenal soundtrack Karnan is!. Right from the short virutham's to pure classical-based songs to light-classical based songs, Karnan songs has everything. Especially listen to these songs at night, you will never ever come out of it, instead of listening while driving. The first introduction song for Karnan and our NT 'Aayiram KarangaL Neetti' sung by Seerkaazhi, TMS and PBS is just enough to throw out every other music director to shame. Next comes the 'Maranathai Enni Kalangum' with striking and baritone voice of Seerkaazhi. I have never listened to this song without getting goosebumps. If I visualize NT's acting in those scenes, that's all, I can never come out of it. Susheela's dazzing KangaL Enge, Kannukku kulamedhu, Ennuyir ThOzhi. It is not good to pickup any single track from this soundtrack. With Kaviyarasar's varigaL, these songs take a giant leap. Whenever I used to have argument with my father comparing V-R/Viswanathan and Ilaiyaraaja, his only answer was this film songs. I used to keep my mouth shut that time. Now I realized how true it is. Every song will invoke a tear drop or two whenever you listen to it. Huge and mighty soundtrack! If Nadigar Thilagam has lived in Karnan's character, V-R has lived in Karnan's dreams. These songs are for generations to come!

Karnan could easily compete for the best ever Soundtrack for a tamil movie. Apart from other things, the songs stand as a uraikal for the underlying raagas. I can't name a single Carnatic keerthana in Chakravaaham. But I can recognise any song in the raagam - thanks to ullathil nalla ullam and its benchmark status in the raagam. Likewise Kangal Enge for Suddha Dhanyaasi. These are the songs we referred to for comparison in the raagam. And looking at the list, I realised I didn't even account for some of the songs when I wrote the above. So, let me modify. If you divided Karnan soundtrack into Karnan-I and Karnan-II, then both the half soundtracks would still compete for the best ever in TFM status. Such is the awesomeness.
Starting with NT's majestic walk, the start of the song, Sun God, the ambience, nothing can beat it. V-R could have chosen some male chorus to sing this opening song, but he chose all heavy-weights; TMS, Seerkaazhi, PBS and I think Tiruchy Loganathan too.
Each one of them has a unique timbre in their voice, and when they sing together, we can feel the wholeness and completness in their voices. A great harmony! For us, it chills down our spines. To top it, V-R would have chosen one line specifically for TMS;தழைக்கும் ஓர் உயிர்கட் கெல்லாம் துணைக்கரம் கொடுப்பாய் போற்றி to sing in higher octaves taking the song to enormous height that no one can reach.

Another beauty in Karnan songs is the impact the short songs create compared to normal length songs. These 1-2 minute songs crave us for more, why can't these songs continue longer?
Meenakshi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

மேலே பதிவு செய்யப்பட்ட இந்த article இணையத்தில் தமிழ் சினிமா பற்றி வெளிவரும் செய்திகளில் இருந்து எடுத்தது. சமீபத்தில் மீண்டும் வெளியான மாபெரும் காவிய படமான 'கர்ணன்' படத்தை பற்றி வெளியான பல செய்திகளில் இருந்து இசை பற்றி வந்த இந்த செய்தியை நம் ரசிகர்களின் பார்வைக்காக பதிவிட்டிருக்கிறேன். இது என்னுடைய அண்ணன் ரமேஷ் அனுப்பியது.

இந்த காலத்து இளைஞர்களும் மிகவும் ரசிக்கும் வண்ணம் அமைந்த நம் மெல்லிசை மன்னரின் இசை காலங்களை எல்லாம் கடந்து என்றும் வாழும் சிரஞ்சீவிதான்.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: