"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best ever kharaharapriya composed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
parthavi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear SRS,

A somewhat unusual posting from you with a professional touch in the sense that it is perhaps the first of its kind from you going deep into the song line by line meticulously capturing the nuances of the lyrics as well as the composition.

I was told that soon after entering the field, Ilayaraaja said in an interview that he would feel satisfied and fulfilled as an MD if he could compose a song like 'Mahaaraajan ulagai aalalaam.'

I was always amazed at the way MSV has given life to the theme of the song by making the first line
மஹாராஜன் உலகை ஆளலாம்
sound humble and feeble and the second line
இந்த மஹாராணி அவனை ஆளுவாள்
emphatic and assertive.

There was a fairly long gap in your postings. Per haps you wanted your 200th posting to be a landmark.

You are one of those knowledgeable rasikaaas who are eligible to rule this site!
இந்த (இணைய) தளத்தை தகுதி (எழுத்துக்களின் மூலம்) ஆளும் திறமை படைத்தவர்களில் நீங்களும் ஒருவர் என்பதை இன்னொரு முறை நிரூப்த்திருக்கிறீர்கள். பாராட்டுகள்
raghavan vasudevan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: maharajan olagai....... Reply with quote

Dear SRS,

A fine posting and it gives an impression how deeper knowledge you have
on music. A great compositon indeed it was from MSV. Upon reading the posting I recollect of having read an article in Filmfare decades back.

When Mughele-e-Azam was in the making, the great Director K ASIF wanted Naushad to use all his hindusthani musical knowledge to compose the climax song and Naushad replied cooly saying that he will consider it honour to work in a film like this and continued saying that he always gives his best to all his films irrespective of who the directors are. Same applies to Mr MSV also.
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear SRS,

A wonderful post on Maharajan ulagai Smile What a pity. We could not witness the majestic walk of Nadigar thilagam and Devika ( this is what I dream for this song )

I think BRP must have analysed between 2 songs .....Iravum nilavum and this one and went for the former .

And also dont forget there is another Karaharapriya classic....... Madhavi pon mayilaal .
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear SRS,
Thanks for selecting one of the greatest number from the master composer MSV. Indeed you had correctly submitted that this could be the best ever Karaharapriya.

I am not very knowledgeable in Carnatic music. But I always have interest in music in general and hence read many books or articles about music. Because of that I find a very unique feature in this song composition. Whether I am correct or not is left to the people who have strong knowledge in carnatic music.

Each an every carantic raga is based on shruthi which is either panchama shruthi or madhyama shruthi. When the raga is in panchama shrithi the Tambura or the Shruthi box is set on notes Sa-Pa to get panchama shruthi tone.

When a song is in madhyama shruthi the same is set as Sa-Ma.

Now coming to raga Karaharapriya, this is a panchama shruhti raga. The Tambura or Shurhti box is always set as Sa-Pa.

But try this song with panchama shruthi and you will notice that it does not match that well.

But set the shruthi in madhyama shruthi that is Sa-Ma. You will notice it matches perfectly.

whereas other songs of Karaharapriya including MSV's madhavi pon mayilal, I will sing for you etc would be in panchama shruthi

I have also noticed that the same concept for the song 'ullathil nalla ullam' which many say that it is raga 'chakravagam'. Again 'Chakravagam' is a panchama shruthi raga. But 'ullathil nalla ullam' again is set in madhyama shruthi. They also say that this is raga 'aaheer bairav' in hindustani music.

Could that mean that Carnatic raga karaharapriya also have a an equivalent in hindustani music if when in madhyama shruthi gets a different raga name. Only hindustani experts can clarify that.

This information has also helped me to understand better about our old tamizh pannisai where something like this may exist. But this has been not explored by Tamilisai pandits.

One day I hope all this undiscovered treasures of Tamil pannisai will get revealed and this song could be of a proof of the same.

N Y Murali
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday's Jaya tv prog featured YG.Mahendra with MSV . Though the news on Karnan's writing of lyrics and tune is well known, its still amazing to hear it again from MSV himself especially after hearing this Maharajan ulagai !

MSV also mentioned that producers like BRP, AVM etc , though they fix a fee for the music, once they reap rich returns from the movie, they have often paid more sums in addition like Rs.10k and all ( big money those days ) very generously .
With such a reputation of these great producers, MSV also highlighted that once for BRP , he scored music totally free after coming to know that BRP was hesitating to speak to him on the fee aspect. The movie was ' Ganga Gowri ' . There is a beautiful Andharangam naan ariven ( Bageshri ragam ) from this movie .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: