"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MuthukkaLO kaNgaL - A gold mine of strategies! -I

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Lyrics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhuraman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: MuthukkaLO kaNgaL - A gold mine of strategies! -I Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
The song 'MuthukkaLO kaNgaL' has several unique features. Kavi arasu is an expert in varied styles of song rendition. In this piece he has adapted the strategy of portraying intimacy through questioning, concurrence and deeper questioning -all in a swift play of words.
By itself the lyric is brilliant.

But, the tune and elegance of singing in the company of orchestration made this song a masterpiece of the music director. It took quite a time for audience to come out of the clutches of melody before the lyrical assemblage drew the due attention. So to say the tune 'possessed' everyone. Does it mean MSV outwitted KaNNadAsan? It does not appear so. Because in the complementary game of music and lyric, one of the two catches attention before the other complement commands its share. Take for instance the well-known 'aththikkAi kAi kAi' of "BalE pAndiyA" -the lyric lead the listener before the musical value asserted itself.
Leaving aside these peripherals, if one devotes time to study the song from "nenjirukkum varai" , quite an amazing array of techniques has been used by KaNNadasan and MSV has certainly dealt a fitting treatment. Before any logical inferences are drawn it is necessary to recall the lyric . So the next piece on this topic would reproduce the lyric and thereafter the spots of elegance in portrayal of romantic disposition. Please await the follow-up soon.

Warm regards K.Raman Madurai.
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Prof,

I am going through the delightful presentation of yours with awe, on this wonderful wonderful evergreen song.

Sir, wish to know why you have posted your thoughts under lyrics section. Was it yet another healthy competition between the 2 champions to excel each other ?!

During the Radio days, the interludes were cut short which I realised it when I saw the videos !

Pls continue.
madhuraman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: lyrics--- muththukkaLo Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Balaji,
You have sought to know as to why I have posted the pieces under LYRICS section. To be honest, I do not know much about music, ragas , swaram patterns and all such intricacies essential for analysis.It took time for me to understand that I should not attempt such elegant domains frequented by greater pundits on the subject. That is why I do not write much these days. Despite this awareness, occasional desire to write something crops up. On one such weak moment I opened the topic.
Coming to your question on 'placement' of the episodes on the song under 'Lyrics', sincerely, like many others, I have for at least 20 years+ lived under the influence of musical nuances of this number.

Around 1985 -one day I went into the lyrical component and realized that KD has done a phenomenal work in this song. Of course by then KD had reached his heavenly abode. The same time around, I came across lofty encomium on far less quality works.

It has been in my mind that this song is a masterpiece for Kannadasan as much as it is for MSV. Therefore, I wanted to bring out facets that have helped my sense of appreciation of quality in TFM. Hope my decision to post under 'lyrics' is not a serious deviation. In all other domains powerful writers are contributing. Knowing my level, I thought I would confine myself to Lyric though I too know that MSV's contribution is equally formidable.

Thank you for your response [as well to Mr.Sivasankaran] as others do not seem to accept some of my observations if silence is an indicator.

Warm regards K.Raman Madurai.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Lyrics All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: