"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MSV- THE INNOVATOR PAR EXCELLENCE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhuraman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: MSV- THE INNOVATOR PAR EXCELLENCE Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
After a number of days, I thought of opening a topic to bring out some ideas on MSV's strategies in composition. What I intend touching upon is the amazing ingenuity with which the legend infuses a powerful 'possessive influence' in his songs.

Indeed his repertoire on the item 'strategy' is vast and varied. As all of us are aware , these pertain to combinations of instruments- sometimes bizarre [ by being unusual] but stunning by the impact of the tonal impart. Needless to dwell on length about his percussion arrangements and intricate exhibition of beat subtleties besides inserts / mutes which scintillate the listener beyond description. While these may be argued as exhaustive planning, there are some which are exclusive to his calibre, deserving to be branded MSV patents.

Of the MSV patents which parade as glorious stamps of class, the one which stands out is the way he has brought in some voice embellishments which are non-lyrical.
Their being non-lyrical confers freedom on us to declare with certainty that those are MSV's creations. Calling them creations is not just a fashionable piece of writing. In fact, each time such embellishments are brought to play, he has offered a rich variety with consummate ease proclaiming his mastery of imbibing the mood and delivering them with delight in an unmatched elegance.
These inserts have been infallible schemes of 'mood elevation'- an element so critical for film songs. The beauty of such pieces is their logical embrace of the tune; not merely that.Rather they serve to lift the song to a new pinnacle which would perhaps have stayed a few inches below [without those embellishments] their present levels of elegance known for those numbers.
Setting the lyrical phrases to tune[s] and getting them sung by artistes is the domain of any MD ; but betting on their success by ensuring a confluence of varied voices, instruments and percussion without looking incongruous anywhere is MSV's forte where none can dare even entry- leave alone thoughts of comparison.
Soon we would look into some of them.
Thanks for the opportunity.

Warm regards. K. Raman Madurai
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: NOT MERE WORDS, BUT FEELINGS..... Reply with quote

Dear Prof,

THOSE WHO LISTEN TO MSV CAN NEVER LISTEN TO OTHERS.....

THOSE WHO LISTEN TO OTHERS CAN NEVER UNDERSTAND MSV...

They are not just words but feelings, expressions, joy, sorrow and compliment them with whatever one can think of....those two lines above are born out of that. This experience is something that one needs to go through in order to attain that highest level of listening pleasure and I bet only MSV's music can deliver that and nothing else in this world can come a shade near....

CHEERS

MSV'S MUSIC - ADDICTION GUARANTEED!!!

VAIDYMSV

parthavi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear prof,
More are less thoughts similar to your finely sculptured expressions went through my mind (as they often do) when I was watching and listening to 'vaaraay en thozhi' while partaking a late meal this Sunday afternoon. Though this is not the first time I have wondered about the structure of this song, the maestro's mingling of the singing voice, the chorus, the Nadaswaram, the mantras and the teasing voices and giggling laughters of the girls made me wonder for the umpteenth time, how this man was able to construct such an intricate structure for a song for a very common situation like a marriage ceremony. I felt that he had elevated the marriage ceremony itself to a higher pedestal. No wonder, this song was invariably played in all marriage functions in the rural areas those days.
This song can be a case study for its rich non-verbal content, though the orchestral use itself appears to be minimal.
madhuraman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="parthavi"]Dear prof,
More are less thoughts similar to your finely sculptured expressions went through my mind (as they often do) when I was watching and listening to 'vaaraay en thozhi' while partaking a late meal this Sunday. No wonder, this song was invariably played in all marriage functions in the rural areas those days].

While rejoicing your response, I just request you to convert your observation to read "No wonder this song is invariably played in all marriage functions in villages,towns and cities alike even these days for the sheer wholesome feeling from this number".

Thank you Warm regards K.Raman Madurai.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: