"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Legend's Great Compositions!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Venugopalan Soundararajan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: The Legend's Great Compositions! Reply with quote

Hi Vaidy,
I have gone thro your views and entirely agree with you, word by word. Excellent observations, which I have had in my mind for decades. I don't know whether there is a senior person in the MSV Club than me - I am 57 years old. I have been a fan of MSV ever since I was 9 years old. During my schooling (PS High School, Mylapore) I was residing at Santhome High Road, just a minute away from the Legend's house. I used to see him almost daily, leaving for Studios (those days he used to travel in a big Blue Chaverleot Car - later only he got the black Fiat). May be, that made me still closer to him.

Hi Mr Rajasabai,
You have mentioned about 2 versions of "Sondham Eppodum Thodar Kadaidan" (Praptham). MSV has done this for many other songs like "En Kelvikkenna Badil" (Uyarndha Manidhan) and "Thedi Varum, Deiva Sugam" (Nimirndhu Nil).

Hi Ms. Saradha,
I am delighted to see your postings and the minute observations that you have made, many of which were my own views as well. Like you, I also used feel angry at the limited range of songs that are being played all over again and again. However, at least the 2 major hits from "Rajapart Rangadurai" are being played many times ("Madana Maligaiyil" and "Ammamma, Thambi Enru Nambi").

Your anger on the Legend is also valid. As you have correctly said, in none of his interviews he has mentioned about some of his rare compositions and in particular about the wonderful Instrumental LP called "Navarasak Kolam" that he brought out some where in 1970 or 71.

Regarding the list of songs highlighted by you, I would like to add many more to it like -

1. "Thedi Varum Deiva Sungam" from "Nimirndhu Nil" (which as I have mentioned above is in 2 versions and a masterpiece) sung by TMS & PS.
2. "Kaadhal Rajjiyam Enadhu, Andha Kaaval Rajjiam Unadhu" from "Mannavan Vandhanadi", sung by TMS & PS, a classical fast number.
3. "Alangaram Kalayadha Silai Onru Kanden" from "Rojavin Raja", again by TMS & PS.
4. "Veenai Adhu Pesum, Adhai Meettum Kaigalai Kandu, Thendral Adhu Veesum, Adhu Modhum Malargalai Kandu" from "Vazhvu En Pakkam" sung by Yesudas. One of the best compositions of MSV, with so many Veenas used for the song. Especially the beginning of the song is out of this world.
5. "Ponnenna Poovenna Kanne, Un Kanndi Ullathin Munne", from "Alaigal". A very melodious number. In fact, this was Jayachandran's first song in Tamil and he has sung it remarkably well.
6. All songs from "Kalaik Kovil" which was MSV's own production. I have no words to describe the song "Vara Vendum, Varamalirundal, Suvai theriyadu" by LRE. The beginning of the song with fast Piano followed by Trumpets is perhaps MSV's best Western style work. Nobody may be able to reproduce this Piano piece "as-it-is".
7. Almost all songs from "Paattum Bharadamum", particularly "Deivathin Thereduthu Deviyai Thedu" by TMS (the song actually starts as "Karpanaikku Meni Thandu, Kaal Salangai Pottu Vitten, Kaal Salangai Pona Idam Kadavulukkum Theriyavillai") and "Ulagam Nee Aadum Solai" by TMS & Vani.
8. "Then Palingu Medai Katti, Kendai rendai Adavittu Kangalenru Sollalagumo" from "Poojaikku Vanda Malar", sung by Sirgazhi & LRE. One should have guts to make Sirgazhi sing such a mild and melodious duet and the song was a big hit.
9. "Idhu Verulagam, Thani Ulagam, Iravil Vidiyum Pudhu Ulagam" from "Nichaya Thambulam", sung by TMS & LRE.
10. "Pen Ponaal, Indha Pen Poonal, Ival Pinnale En Kan Pogum" from "Enga Veettu Pillai" by TMS & PS. The second piece of interlude music in this song is out of this world, played with Mouth Organ followed by PS's wonderful humming.
11. "Malarukku Thendral Pagaiyanal Adhu Malarndidak Kadhiravan Thunai Undu" by PS & LRE (in the same raaga as "Nilave Ennidam Nerungade"). Excellent usage of Violins and Flute.

I can keep adding many more, but it will take a long time. If necessary, I can keep adding little by little.

Regarding usage of "Shehnai", I think all of you have forgotten the masterpiece from "Padithal Mattum Poduma", i.e. "Ponnondru Kandel Pen Angu Illai", in which the Legend has most melodiously used the Shehnai. I think no other Music Director will even think of using Shehnai for such a situation. Mind blowing. Hats Off to Mellisai Mannar.

Mr Sateesh, I enjoyed going thro your notes too. Regarding "Anubavam Pudhuma" from "Kadalikka Neramillai", yes MSV picked up a small hint from the western number "Pesame Mouscho". But he has used it only in the line "annalil illadha polladha ennangale, aha ponnana kai pattu punnana kannangale"; rest everything has been totally changed.

The only other song where he has taken a hint from another song is "Aayirathil Oruthi Amma Nee, Ulagam Arindidadha Piraviamma Nee" from "Kai Kodhutha Deivam". He just picked the start of this song from the Hindi number "Ajeeb Daastan Hai Yeh, Kahan Shuru Kahan Katham" from the film "Dil Apna Aur Preet Parayi". That is the greatness of this master composer. Even whenever a Hindi hit was being re-made in Tamil, the producers wanted him to copy the Hindi number, but he refused to. For e.g. "Sivakamiyin Selvan" (remake of "Aradhana") and "Nalai Namadhe" (remake of "Yadon ki Bharat"). The numbers "Ullama Rendum Onrai Onru" and "Ethanai Azhagu Kottik Kidakkudhu" from "Sivakamiyin Selvan" (equivalent of "Mere Sapnonki Rani Kab" and "Roop Tera Mastana") were composed more wonderfully than the Hindi version.
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Hi Mr.Venu Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Venu,

Thanks a ton for replying to my posting in the Fans Writing Column. I am 44 years old and have been a fan from my 3rd Std days!!! It's really heartening to see so many of you who have been staying so far away from us but have become so close because of our sincere affection towards our Master Creator MSV! Long LIve MSV!
vaidy
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Vow! Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Venu,

What a great way to appreciate our Master's guts. True indded. This song from Poojaikku Vandha Malar(btw- it is Venn Palingu Medai Katti) sung by SG & LRE is indeed an absolute master piece. Hi Moderator Ram, hv you heard this song? Listen to the way how SG literally takes off in this line-"sollalagumo anbeyyyyy". No body has the guts except MSV to use stange combo like LRE & SG. Hats off to our Master Creator MSV!!!!!

Also Ponnenna Poovenna Kanney- One of my most favoutrite songs Venu!

vaidy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: