"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

intro mucic byMSV. a rarity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Preludes, Interludes, Title Music, Re-recording, BGMs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: intro mucic byMSV. a rarity Reply with quote

I have seen some interests shown in this aspect of music and I feel nice that I am not alone in harboring this passion. I wish I could answer Ramesh's queries but I do not know much regarding the songs that he has listed. However one common factor is that there is some amount of Latin style in those introductions. One particular song I enjoy of the many 'SWING' styles is byTMS / LR.ESWARI.' Vennila mugham' . This is one song in which he has used Shenai in an absolutely lively lilt for the intro. Most often shenai is used in pathos. This is one exceptional capacity of genius MSV. Acknowledged by a musician from the North. I do no have ready reference for this. I wish someone could release a disc on the introduction Pieces of songs of MSVand MSV/TKR. with explanations . Like the one on Carnatic music and film music by Mr G.S.Mani.
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have seen some interests shown in this aspect of music and I feel nice that I am not alone in harboring this passion. I wish I could answer Ramesh's queries but I do not know much regarding the songs that he has listed. However one common factor is that there is some amount of Latin style in those introductions. One particular song I enjoy of the many 'SWING' styles is byTMS / LR.ESWARI.' Vennila mugham' . This is one song in which he has used Shenai in an absolutely lively lilt for the intro. Most often shenai is used in pathos. This is one exceptional capacity of genius MSV. Acknowledged by a musician from the North. I do no have ready reference for this. I wish someone could release a disc on the introduction Pieces of songs of MSVand MSV/TKR. with explanations . Like the one on Carnatic music and film music by Mr G.S.Mani.

The above mentioned post caught my attention only today and it made me to hear the song mentioned 'vennila mugam' again to look for the Shenai
piece. Probably none could have imagined like that (Except MSV) to give an intro for a song which is in Latin Swing beat. But on deep surfing in to the lyrical part one could guess how MSV got the spark for introducing the Shenai.

The line is
'vennilaa mugam
kungumam perum
nalla naal tharum
mangalam varum'

The words 'kumgumam' and 'mangalam' could have drawn his attention to employ the unimaginable think of mixing a Hindustani instrument for a Latin Swing beat which also in melody comes on and off.

While I appreciate the guest understanding of Shenai being used mainly for pathos I feel MSV never ever imagined that instrument for sobriety alone. This instrument is the sentimental instrument in North Indian marriages like our Nadhaswaram. Remember MSV employed the same Shenai for the marriage sequence in 'Karnan' in the Raga 'Behag'.

But I must say it was Ilayaraja who mentioned in one weekly magazine in his early period, in which he said that he wanted to change the Re recording style in which he mentioned 'sogamna Shenai, santhoshamna sitar' that is the style prevailing now and I want to change that'.

So knowingly or unknowingly people have a wrong impression (of course including Ilayaraja) that Shenai is for pathos.

But see many songs from MSV's archives he had employed the same instrument for happy situation. 'Example 'Thangapadakathin mela', 'neeya thaan enakku manavatti' and this songs is also one among them.

Ilayaraja is also wrong in saying 'santhoshamna sitar' MSV used the same for the pathos situation like the song 'sonnadhu needhaana'.

N Y Murali
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Preludes, Interludes, Title Music, Re-recording, BGMs All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: