"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What makes MSV pleasantly different?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhuraman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: What makes MSV pleasantly different? Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
Though oft-repeated, herein I try to look at MSV for some of his professional facets which made me his fan even as a boy of 12. Without being aware of the components in movie-making, the then boys and girls were watching movies in theatres [ under the vigil of unrelenting parents who would ascertain if or not a movie could be viewed in the company of children].

With so much 'regimentation' , nothing was there for the asking. However, Ceylon Radio [later rechristened Srilanka brodcasting corporation] was our refuge to listen to TF songs. Came movies like 'Pathibhakthi', 'Bagappirivinai'; there were perceptible freshness about those songs.

Our ignorance of the role of MD did not intervene or stop our listening pleasure. One day when the song 'thangaththilE oru kurai irundhAlum' came through the air during a class hour; most boys fell into rapt attention [and the teacher was stupidly happy that we were under his mesmeric spell of teaching] and everyone was under a kind of 'possessive' grip by the flow of the tune and the simple rhythm ; the 2 components were far different from the then song styles in the sense, there was no moment of let up which at last came to end where upon the teacher was fittingly reminded of his teaching calibre by instant chatter all over the class. The moment the class was over, my neighbour Mr. Kanagasabai asked 'ennada pAttu kEttayA?' - I said yes.
What yes?- Kanagasabai. He went on to ask whose music it is? I was blank. He gave a nudge on my head and said Viswanathan ramamurthy pAttudA. I thought VR was the name of one person. He tendered advice "mundam- summa ee ee nu pAttu kEkkAdha, VR pAttu na kandippaKElu. My curiosity ran high and I asked yEn ? Irritated Kanagasabai said nee oru loosu unakku idhellam theriyadhu, nalla pAttu kekkanum na ,nAn sonnadhai sei kElvi kEkkakoodadhu. I raised- VR pattu nu eppidi paththu paththu kekkaradhu? Pattu varumbodhu nan solraen , 4 thadavai kEttEnna nee enakku solla arambichiduva, yEnna nee nalla gavanichu kekkara nu class la pathaEn. This was the beginning of my initiation to MSV songs. Before that I had already fallen to MSV songs of 'pudhayal' oblivious of his name.
As regards MSV Songs,
On all occasions I have felt a possessive grip as a wholesome impact unlike with many other movie songs even in those days of my ignorance.

We can look to certain typical features of his compositions in the coming days.

Warm regards K.Raman Madurai
VaidyMSV & Sriram Lax

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear Prof

thanks for sharing ,the start of your love life with Mellisai(mannar).

what is more surprising is your friend Mr Kanakasabai's interest in mUsic by MDs .

Generally MDS were not celebrated then.later it was branded as MGR SONGS SIVAJi songs. TMS PS songs -if my memory goes back .
In fact through kamakotiyan,learnt Madurai had started viswanathan ramamurthy fans club around the release of pathi bakthi that means around

its my wish that if the office bearers of that club can be traced now ,we can honor them also as the pioneers

similarly are you still in touch with Mr kanakasabai . so we can hear from him of those days

bregds
msvramki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Prof.,

Very interesting to read how you were a fan of MSV subconsciously in your childhood and how then you became his fan 'formally' by a trigger of your friend !

Narrated very well as 'story-telling' and this probably will in turn trigger all other friends to narrate on how they all got dragged towards the Great MSV. It will be very nice to hear that 'incident' from all our Forum friends, as professor has narrated.

I will write about it shortly.

Vijay : My application is already with Professor to dig out the MSVians of Madurai which had the distinction of having an MSV-TKR Mandram.
In fact I had asked him to look at the possibility of even forming a Madurai Chapter of MSVTimes !!

Your suggestion to honour those who were responsible for starting of that Club is very good. If it happens it will be wonderful.

Thanks
Ramki
madhuraman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Articles and writings Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
Certainly it was Kanagasabai who created all kinds of settings in classroom. He would not spare any teacher and would impeccably imitate the teachers' mannerisms. Not only that he can abruptly interrupt the teacher with a question that would stump the man. In a way teachers were afraid of Kanagasabai as they could never punish him; it was because his style of raking up a question would be so very pleasant that none can block his argument. There was a teacher who was extremely orthodox that he would not touch the boys, lest he should take a bath immediately thereafter.

Sensing the limitation of the teacher Kanagasabai would raise inconvenient questions. The particular teacher [Mr. CVR] was also our class teacher. A regular absentee was one Kalyanasundaram. Every day CVR would ask
WHAT ABOUT KALYANASUNDARAM? Our man asked "Sir, you never say WHAT ABOUT KANAGASABAI. CVR said "you are here".

Kanagasabai said, So you bother more about the unknown Kalyanasundaram than about the well known Kanagasabai. You are promoting absenteeism by ignoring us. Soon we may also skip classes so that you will talk about us.

A disturbed CVR could not convince Kanagasabai; but the rhetoric "What about" disappeared there after.

Also Kanagasabai was a multifaceted boy as a mimic, actor, player of Ghatam and Tabla besides deeper analysis of movie songs.

After my school days I have not seen or heard of Kanagasabai. Must be in his place "Thiruvalar solai" near Thiruvanai koil from where he came to school. An unforgettable talent is this Kanagasabai.
Warm regards K.Raman Madurai
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Professor,
You have kindled my experience by a your wonderful post. It is indeed no surprise from Ramki’s point of view that each individual would have got different experience.
I must admit being 15 years younger to you, by the time I am exposed to MSV’s music, he was the dominant factor yet unrecognized in my humble opinion. Mine was a time when the next generation MD was dominant (only commercially) and we used to have many arguments regarding our experience and judgment. I always used to wonder why this ‘halla bulla’ was created which did not happen to MSV in the scale that was happening to the other.
And it was also the time when I myself was blessed with composing skills by God’s grace. So me being a composer of traditional method that is employing a raga or a scale for the inspiration(the next generation MD was also of the same type) found MSV very unique and different from that method. So I myself being not a serious composer but just to have that experience was naturally forced in to looking at the finer aspect of his music. So it was that quest for understanding the atom of his music created a burning desire in me to take up the harmonium which also helped me a lot for my composing.
When I was struggling to get the idea of his music, It was D Thiyagarajan, the assistant of MSV who himself an assistant to MSV at that time, gave me the tit bits as to how to approach his music. So a humble beginning was started about 30 years ago. And I just cannot express the kind of hard work I did to get in to the nitty gritty of his music. I recall the day when I was in Jaipur, alone in my house played the song ‘nanamo’ repeatedly. It was around 7 am in the morning and by the time I got a glimpse of his creativity it was around 11 pm in the night. So 16 hours of non stop trial (of course with the required break for the food and emergencies) and I never felt tired. What it made me was to seek more again and again.
So by the time I came in to our site my knowledge was raw ( I believe it is still raw) but I could refine my knowledge based on the experience I share with our friends in the forum. It was both appreciation with tit bits and criticism again with tit bits made me study more and more.
I shall share that experience. It was the time when I believed that MSV was having the base from Western Music for some of the songs which we call Mellisai but indianising it with the traditional Carnatic method which is called the Gamaga which is the base for the Bhavam or feeling. And I believed and still believe that he coined the famous statement ‘pazhamai maaradha pudumai’ based on this.
And I believe that When Aruna Sairam referred in one of our article in ‘The Hindu’ when she said that she learnt some gamakas from MSV’S music and she employed in her Bhajans. So it goes to show that She being a professional Carnatic Singer in which the essence is the Gamakas, finding different gamakas in MSV’s music which is very unique but cannot be employed in Carnatic music being grammatically composed and performed. So she had to use it not in Carnatic music but in Bhajans where such imaginative creations are allowed. So logically it means that MSV when employs a gamakaa is very different from the Carnatic Grammar. But what it is a different matter altogether.
Now coming to MSV’s music inference from Western Music, It was during a casual discussion between me and Vatsan, when he said that even our traditional Indian music could have explored the possibility of the theories that are defined in it. Though it was a casual reference, it made me to think deep and that was one of the reasons that I started to study Old Tamil Music books and tried to understand the concept. To my great astonishment I found that not only such concepts were discussed, and how it was effective was clearly explained. But the difference between Western music and the old Tamil Pannisai is that the Tamil Pannisai did not go beyond a point and limited the concept of Harmony keeping in mind the sweetness of melody than the multi combination possible but that could affect the melody. I found exactly the same concept was employed by MSV in his compositions.
So just within 6 years from the time I came in to the site my opinion about MSV is revised. Now is he really knowingly or unknowingly reestablishing a music that was the life of the Tamils in Sangam literature times which had been completely forgotten by us? Is the God’s play is at work here? I have no answer.
madhuraman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Articles and writings Reply with quote

Dear Mr.NY M,
In your response to my posting, you have travelled down the memory lane on a meteor that there is a perceptible change in your writing. Yes, I mean it. Being an experience fully imbibed, the flow is truly fierce and mighty with just the right terms in a brilliantly cogent presentation.
It reveals 2 things. Narrating genuine experience always brings forth the best in a person. 2]. Logical connectivity stays in place with no need of effort of the narrator . As such there is a new dimension that I witness in this piece.
Often you used to tell us that you are not happy with your writing styles [in English]. Well, that has just been your apprehension; my suggesting it an 'apprehension' is from the recent posting of yours.

I read that you started saying things right from your memory and facts drew themselves out as if they were just waiting for a moment to emerge.
Using our personal experience in centrifuging towards MSV, it appears quite plausible that MSV's ability to enter the frame of mind of the movie character[s], quickly aligns all elements of music as tunes, ludes, interludes, orchestral assemblage and the incessant sequence in which they follow in a song. For him, looking at the exact emotion of the movie characters has been copiously given by Goddess Saraswathy; his harmonium is the connecting element between the Goddess and himself. [Normally a 'medium' serves the link between earthly beings and the ethereal elements. Recall what Krishna said of MSV when he imitated MSV's recording session gestures ; without fail he said MSV would remove his footwear before touching his harmonium]

It is an uncommon vibration between the ultimate donor [ Divinity] and the jubilant recipient [ MSV in this case] which renders the right amalgam of all elements in right dose to make a lasting impact on all SENSITIVE LISTENERS.
Nice that your experience drives me look at the varied prospects which together account for MSV.
Regards K.Raman Madurai.
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Professor,
Always a big fan of your writings, I particularly enjoy the choice of words that fall in place rhythmically to narrate or depict a scene before our eyes! It is also interesting to read the evolution of some beautiful adjectives from scientific terminologies in your writings that picturises the moment so well. The wit and humour bring alive the events so nicely.
You also succeed in drawing out the dormant (yet unforgettable) thoughts of our initial link to MM in many of us.
Thanks,
Sai Saravanan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: