"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What makes MSV pleasantly different?-IX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhuraman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: What makes MSV pleasantly different?-IX Reply with quote

Dear Friends,

EMBELLISHING BY MIMICRY AS A POWERFUL TOOL
Though mimicking the voice of animals and birds has been a practice in movie songs, the art of making an impact has been a special forte of Shri.MSV; for him adding these elements has been of immaculate precision that, sans such ‘inserts’, the songs would not have scaled the peaks they are associated with. Also, the spots of the inserts have been appropriate and valid that the impact generated on the listener makes him /her crave for those numbers –any number of times for the sheer elegance of presentation. The list is enough for our friends to recall the songs and attempts to explain their ‘usage’ would be a project by itself to embark upon. However, our friends can add their perceptions on this aspect, just to make the effort complete and to present information not given here. MSV has never indulged in using mimicry as a filler; he has reserved it as a trade mark of excellence, which so very well fits the tune and orchestration. To insert those pieces without ‘interfering’ with the tune is testimony enough on the composer’s mastery over the processes of tune setting and orchestration.
Movie Song
Insert[s]
paNakkAra kudumbam parakkum pandhu parakkum tapping of ball
nenjil Or aalayam engirundhAlum vAzhga Frog’s chatter
server Sundaraam thaththai nenjam parrot’s response
anbE vA love birds bird calls
avaL oru thodarkadhai kadavuL amaithu vaitha mEdai a whole range of items
pAlum pazhamum pOnAl pOgattum pOdA all graveyard species
maNiOsai aattukkutti aattukkutti lamb calls
aalaya maNi satti suttadhadA demon voices
kAvalkAran mellapO mellapO kuil [quail]
parakkum pAvai muthamO mOhamO all wild animals ,birds
dhikku theryAdha kAttil poo poovA all forest creatures
RickshawkkAran azhagiya thamizh magaL angel voice [Chipmonks]
These are some items coming to my mind. There could be many more.
WARM REGARDS K.RAMAN MADURAI
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: AN INNOVATIVE THREAD INDEED Reply with quote

Dear Prof. Raman,

Really an innovative thread indeed. Yes....MSV apart from using an amazing varieties of instruments didn't leave another area also!!!. This time the mimicry...Not only mimicry but the way how he used the chorus in various songs may even put the very Western world to which it belongs to shy!!!

Talk about chipmunks......2 of the greatest songs that occured to me as soon as I read your post were....Sirithu Vazha Vendum from Ulagam Sutrum Vaaliban and this song which I consider as one of his greatest creations (BTW which one is not!!!) is, Muthuppal Siripallavo from Pookaari where the voice of chipmunks is extensively and brilliantly used. I am sure all you would agree with me that this movie otherwise not even worth mentioning in our forum (leave alone watching it!!!) still managed to find it's place here is because of the sheer musical genius called MSV...

I believe the chipmunks were specifically used (probably as per the demands of MK) in order to counter or to have a similar impact the song Azhagiya Tamizh Magal Ival from Rickshawkaran might have had amongst the people of Tamilnadu as both belonged to the same era where politics was bitterly fought between MK & MGR. But look at the difference...Same chipmunks voice in totally two of the greatest tunes that have no similarity absolutely whatsoever!!! Talk about variety, creativity and even if we add all "t"s available in English together under the Sun, then the only synonym in the musical dictionary will be MSV and nothing else...!!!

CHEERS
MSV
IS MUSIC!!!

VAIDYMSV

Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Professor,
A thoughtful subject, Sir! It has always been a pale reproduction by other MDs when it came to introduce mimicry.

Chipmunks, especially gave a sense of freshness, some liveliness and great feelings of positive energy when heard. What was more magical was when our MM used it in his songs!

Will it be wrong to even say that our MM brought out exact reproduction of the voices of many great actors like NT, Sivakumar, MGR, etc. in TMS; Balaji, Muthuraman, etc., in PBS; Kamal, Rajini in SPB, Saroja Devi, savithri in PS; just to name a few in the endless characters that he brought in the singing...! Should we call these too as mimicry (only in the context of the word when it means imitation)!

Not to talk of the musical instruments when they 'spoke' or 'sang' along with the singers!

He has been a creator of out-of-the-world experiences (your own list of examples) in the form of sound!

Thanks,
Sai Saravanan
madhuraman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Articles and writings Reply with quote

VOICE MATCHING

Dear Mr. Sai,
I have also been quite curious of the way MSV manages to match voices of singers to actors. In my very first meeting of MSV in 2008 or so [thanks to Shri. Ramki and Shri. Vaidy], I managed to ask MSV quite a few questions; one was the fidelity elements of TMS’ /PS’ voices to the screen personality on an occasion and I asked him “how do you manage it”.
A composed MSV partly turned his face to me, cast a curious look and replied very cool – ‘adhu onnum periya vishayam illa; ellar voice um emmanasila padhinjudum; take pogumbodhu –amma ithanai kattaiyila paadu’ nu level solliduvEn. AvangaLum correctaa paadiduvanga’. PattukEkkumbodhu ellam sariya amanjududum’.

Although MSV points his index finger to heavens for most questions, the man is imbued with all the vital ingredients which make a composition worth its weight in gold. He effortlessly calls the shots to perfection in terms of octaves, timings, emotions and exuberance of mood –all in one stroke by his mega command over his team of meticulous performers.
Nothing else can work like this. Thanks for the opportunity.

Warm regards K.Raman Madurai
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Professor,
Nice Thread. I wish to add 'Kaduval amaithu vaitha medai' for the above list.
Can we also add the famous Kabadi song 'vaadiyamma vaadi' to the above.

N Y Murali
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: