"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Most melodious Neela nayanangalil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Most melodious Neela nayanangalil Reply with quote

One of the most melodious, beautifully sung and excellently structured song of our MM is Neela nayanangalil. How many ever times you listen, you cannot help listening once more. The more you listen, the more it melts your soul! I do not know from which world did he bring this melody for us.

One of the most crisply executed tablas of MM is noticeable here, so exquisitely crafted! Look at Prasad when he exclaims alongwith PS when she sings '...pasi theerthatho', and again joins her dramatically when she continues in the next line.

From where did he bring the trumpet! It was unexpected in such a soft number, and knowing MM, one can expect miraculous beauties! It is so soft, lifts our spirits, and settles down to a contrasting flute that follows immediately.

How has he handled the 'Neeeeeenda' so many times, with so different sounding types!

KJY was in his real youthful bass (in a lower scale those days) and singing so effortlessly; his turnings and mood so real whenever he sang for MM. PS is complete in all respects.

It is not any image from the movie that stands before our minds, but the world created by MM when he conjures such pure soul-stirring magic for us.

How many ever times you take up such a song of MM, the song is as fresh as the newest dew drop in the early morn!!

Thanks,
Sai Saravanan
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: SONG OF THE 70'S Reply with quote

Dear Sai,

Close on the heels of Yaarumillai Ingey, you have picked up what I reckon as the "song of the 70's" - Neela Nayanangalil....

What a scintillating duet by our Legend. Listen to the imagination of our Master in the place where the word goes like "oru neenda (listen to neenda getting beautifully stretched) kanavu vandhadhu". And in the charanam "kanavu en vandhadhu" listen to the marvellous ensemble of violins in the background that steals every part of your body....What a thought for this genius to have used KJY & PS who have done absolute justice by their fabulous rendering....

Greatest song, greatest duet, greatest orchestration, greatest imagination. Why is that we always land up with only superlatives when it comes to expressing about our Master???? Truly a monumental melody of the 70's. Almost after 4 decades if this song were to captivate our hearts like this, what else can we call this man than the "Vaamana of Melodies"....

CHEERS
MSV
IS MUSIC!!!

VAIDYMSV

Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,
Yes! The songs of the 70s (maybe some of the very late 60s) have been out-of-the-world compositions of the master. They have been very unique. Maybe, he was just getting fresher and fresher with rejuvenated energy being himself (after the parting of ways with TKR); newer ways of use of instruments on the scene the world over; entry of modernity in the style of the heroes, stories, and filmmaking; youthful voices like SPB bursting into the scene (changing the colour of people like TMS, KJY, I mean singing differently!); moving away from the traditional Raaga-sounding composing; many, many such small but defining moments...I may be more biased towards this era or wrongly interpreting, but, the signatures are perceptible...
The duet is nothing short of 'scintillating' as you have marvellously described. I really do not know how he gets these kinds of pictures in his mind. Many of the songs that he gave in this era were bubbling with energy and youth. Lively, imaginative, colourful and kindles the soul with an unknown feeling that we only realise when we sometimes sit down to do meditation (in fact, such songs, when heard in complete silence around, may be closing your eyes, make you feel so!)!!
The superlatives, yes, I agree, Sir! When I wrote the subject, I thought how many times do I write 'the' before 'most'... and left it as everything that he has done is that and much more and more...
The orchestration is nothing short of a riot in/of colour....
Thanks,
Sai Saravanan
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sai. This is a brilliant song. It is a lesson for the composers to know how to sing the word 'oru neenda kanavu vandhadhu'. This song is packed with so much intricacies. Only a person who knows to play the song in harmonium/key board would notice the notation key flow for the line which begin in the charanam 'maya kan kondu naan thandha virundhu'.

Out and out a brilliant song.
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Murali sir,
In fact, I was recollecting the discussions with you last year while I was writing last evening, especially, about the intricacies and modernity of the compositions in the 70s of our MM. As you mention, the song is not so easy to replicate or present on stage in all its pristine glory.
Thanks,
Sai Saravanan
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir,

I wish to place under One of the most melodious , the elitest amongst the elite group . MSV signature stamp everywhere ...the shakes at theerthatho.....rusi paarthadhooooo...

neeeenda kanavu !

Brilliant counter melodies and fillers ....after kanavu en vandhadhu....kaadhal dhaan vandhadhu...

Beauty is that the Hindi version songs were mega hits and MGR would definitely have tried to pursuade MSV to use some of them but MSV delivered his own and all were great hits ..
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is another facet to the Hindi versions too! RDB used to listen (every now and then) to Usha Uthup's songs when she used to sing in the clubs. Most of her songs started to feature in RDB's compositions, and he was very appreciative and grateful to her for those (though most of those were not sung by Usha Uthup in the movie versions!). One such number, if I can recollect correctly, was Chura liya, and there are many more such hits. These were clearly mentioned by Usha Uthup in one her interviews in Vividh Bharati few years back. The hit list was indeed long!
But, whatever be the case, our MM's neela nayanangalil is superior in all aspects!
Thanks,
Sai Saravanan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: