"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Versatility is his middle name -Revathy Krishna

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Speak to Members, Introduce Yourself, Discuss any topic of your interest, Fun, Puzzles, Riddles, Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Versatility is his middle name -Revathy Krishna Reply with quote

Veena artist REVATHY KRISHNA, who plays many of maestro M.S. Viswanathan’s melodies on a regular basis, pays tribute:

“Looking back, I realise that every song I loved and enjoyed as a child was invariably composed by the dynamic duo, M.S. Viswanathan-T.K. Ramamurthy, and some by just MSV.

What a spectrum of variations and emotions each of them had!

The genuis of MSV lay in the fact that he experimented with genres, engaged listeners with classic preludes and added innovative touches in orchestration. Like asking his singers to hum -- ‘Mannavanae Azhalama’, ‘Veeduvarai Uravu,’ ‘Kallellam Maanikka’, ‘Pavazha Kodiyilae’ and ‘Nenjam Marappadhillai’, are but just a few songs that come to mind where the humming was infectious.

To compose a tune specifically for a character can be challenging. In ‘Gowravam,’ the older Sivaji Ganesan, who is egoistic, sings ‘Neeyum Naanuma’ during a clash with his younger counterpart. For that song, Mellisai Mannar used only higher notes to depict the haughty character. One can’t hear the notes below swara panchamam. The song’s range goes between lower panchamam and higher panchamam; it doesn’t touch even adhara shadjamam of the scale.

He was adept at both Carnatic and Hindustani music, best heard in the song ‘Ulagin Mudhal Isai Tamil Isaiye’ (Thavapudhalvan). The Carnatic portion was sung by T.M. Soundararajan and the Hindustani bit by P.B. Sreenivos.

It is said that after attending a recording session of MSV, the legendary Hindi music director Naushad was amazed at the speed with which the songs were born.

MSV also enjoyed the challenge of composing situational songs. He was inspired by Arabic tunes for ‘Pattathu Rani’ (Sivandha Mann). And for ‘India Nadu En Veedu’ (Bharatha Vilas), he brought together a range of native sounds from different States and languages. And how!

I have had the privilege of being associated with Mellisai Mannar, who was kind enough to release most of my CDs.

When I went to his house to play my demo recording for the first time, I remember seeing tears in his eyes after listening to ‘Malarndhum Malaradha’ (Pasamalar). He was so moved that he wanted to give an introductory talk for the CD. He came to the recording studio the following day and spoke beautifully, and gave the CD a memorable prelude. Such was his humility!

I have participated in some stage shows under his banner, and also recorded with him. It has been a great learning experience.

His passing away is a personal loss to me.

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-features/tp-fridayreview/versatility-his-middle-name/article7457672.ece
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Speak to Members, Introduce Yourself, Discuss any topic of your interest, Fun, Puzzles, Riddles, Games All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: