"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WAS THIS CONCERT NECESSARY AT ALL???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: WAS THIS CONCERT NECESSARY AT ALL??? Reply with quote

Dear All,

I urge all of you to read the following with no prejudice either to me or to my inferences on the much hyped "Ennullill MSV" telecast by a popular TV channel last night.

First of all the concert that created a humungous interest amongst many that was titled as "Ennullill MSV" by IR never featured / shared any valuable information about the composing values of Shri. MSV except for delving in length stories that were half century old, repeatedly shared by the Legend himself on many occasions under various circumstances with many of us, totally depriving all of us of the insight of IR on which he solely anchored this event & even claimed that only he had understood MSV in this world completely and no one else!!! Do we construe that IR had nothing to say or was he lacking in such information- I am leaving it to you all to ponder over. Either ways, it was a disaster as IR, who had worked with Shri. MSV for decades ought to have come out with better revelations than with information that the world knew already! Then why at all this title "Ennullill MSV" that had no relevance to what was performed that evening???

The crowd at the venue and me as a viewer in front of the TV were completely disappointed as what IR probably conceived and announced through various ad campaigns completely failed to derive any interest as the whole event lacked in every department. From poor orchestration (for example in the song Viswanathan velai vendum, where the vertical double base played a "lead" role in the original song, the player in IR's orchestra left it totally abandoned and it was sad to see the instrument standing...oooops sitting idle!!!) to very poor singing, I felt it was yet another show more than a real tribute as was projected.

A seasoned MD like IR - if he is unable to get his orchestra to perform to a respectrable level, then I fail to understand the very motive behind organising an event like this for which even the tickets were priced at unreachable levels for a commonner. The singers who performed that day could have been swapped for novices who would have done better. One of the crew members of this orchestra informed me of gruelling practice sessions and I was hence eagerly expecting the outcome to be really good. Alas, it was just ordinary that deserves no special appreciation. Except for Rajnikanth's glorious tributes who minced no words in heaping Himalayan praises on Shri. MSV & his composing skills, his humility, the down to earth behaviour of our legend till his last breath, I found this entire exercise more of a publicity stunt than anything else.

I was even more pained to see not only the interludes of songs performed that day being devoured by the players but the singers too played their part in making a mockery of Shri. MSV's creations by their below average performance.

Hope some good sense prevails amongst these people to either perform to a better level or refrain from doing injustice to not only to us as MSV devotess but to the Legend himself and his creations that have stood the tests of times.

CHEERS

MSV IS ONLY MUSIC FOREVER!!!

VAIDYMSV

Last edited by vaidymsv on Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
ragasuda

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

உங்களுடைய பொறுமையும் சகிப்புத் தன்மையும் என்னை வியக்க வைக்கிறது..

நீங்கள் குறிப்பிட்ட அந்த பிரதாப நிகழ்ச்சியைப் பார்த்தற்கே உங்களுக்கு தனியாக ஒரு விருது தரவேண்டும்.
http://msvquiz.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilmsongs.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilms.blogspot.com/
http://mellisaititle.blogspot.com
Vatsan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Resp. Reply with quote

ennuLLil MSV was touted as a program that would delve deep into the building blocks of MSV's music and the related demonstration of the same. Alas...what we had was narration of stories that are as ancient as the hills yonder...those stories had etched themselves in our psyche even before we met up with MSV on a personal basis !!! It was clear that IR was running out of stuff to talk about ...why else would he play KVM's "mayakkum mAlai" , a great song agreed, but something that would never serve as a tool to get into MSV's composing psyche !!! Most of what he did on stage were disconnected and completely incongruous, he made his grandsons play the piano and when the gullible onlooker was waiting for a connection between that and insight into MSV's music, all the onlooker was dished out was the story that when IR himself was that young (as his grand children) he did not have access to a single instrument !!! Now where is the earthly connection with what he claimed he has set out to do, that is throw light on the enigma that MSV's music is. A concise albeit scything defintion of the program would be "A beggar's plate"... pieces of several autonomous , disconnected elements served within an interval of 3 hours with below par singing and imprecise and shoddy orchestration !!!! Vaithy, with excess of sugar in our blood we took a great risk in watching it in the first place !!! Oh, our minds...minds that still crave for a glimmer of hope even when unabated mediocrity presents itself without disguise !!!!
VaidyMSV & Sriram Lax

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

எனக்கு வியப்பை தராத நிகழ்வு -இளையராஜா நிகழ்வு அவரை பற்றிதான் இருக்கும் என்பது எல்லோருக்கும் தெரியும்

இளையராஜாவை அறிந்தவர்களுக்கு இது வியப்பு அல்ல . ஆனால் வைத்தி கூறியது போல் orchestration ,singing failures -ஒரு பெரிய ஆச்சரியம் .

காரணம்

எல்லாம் தானே என்ற பிறவி குணம் -மற்றவர்களின் ஆலோசனைகளை கேட்காமல் விட்டது .

பிறருக்கு பெயர் போக கூடாது என்ற எண்ணம் நல்ல பாடகர்களை வரவிட்டமல் செய்தது . வந்த பாடகர்களும் என்னால் முடியவில்லை என்று போனது தனிக்கதை .அதை பற்றி பேசி பயனில்லை .

சரி போகட்டும்

அன்று வைத்த பாடல்களை கணக்கில் எடுத்தால் அவருள் எம் எஸ் வி 1962-63 க்கு பிறகு புகவில்லை போலிருகிறது , மெல்லிசை மன்னரின் விஸ்வரூப வருடங்களை பாடல்களை மறந்துவிட்டார் .

ஆடாத மனமும் உண்டோ பாடலை ,டி எம் எஸ் சை ஓரம் கட்ட நினைத்து அதனை பாழ் செய்தார் .

ஏன் முகேஷ் இருந்தாரே அவரை பயன் படுத்தியிருக்கலாம் .

தான் தேர்வு செய்தபாடல்கள் தான் சரியில்லை என்று மக்களின் தேர்வு வேறு

இந்த இடத்தில் கவனிக்க வேண்டியது வார்த்தைகள் சொல்லும் வாத்தியங்கள் நிகழ்ச்சியில் மாலை பொழுதின் மயக்கத்திலே பாடல் PRACTICE செய்யாமலே ராஜா விற்காக வாசித்தார்கள் எனக்கேள்விப்பட்டேன் ,அதனுடன் நேற்றைய வான் நிலா நிலா அல்ல ஒப்பிடுங்கள் முகேஷ் இல்லையெனில் அதன் கதி ? ஆனால் வார்த்தைகள் சொல்லும் வாத்தியங்களில் வெறும் வாத்தியங்கள் மட்டும்
அங்கு சொல்லிதர ஒரு வாத்தியார் அவர் உணர்வுடன் ஒன்றிய மாணவர்கள் .இங்கோ பணத்திற்காக வாசிப்பவர்கள் .
மெல்லிசை மன்னரின் பாடல்களை வெறும் நோட்ஸ் வைத்துக்கொண்டு வாசிக்கமுடியாது எப்று என்று CONDUCTOR களும் வாசிப்பவர்கள் பாடகர்களும் உணர்கிறார்களோ அன்று தான் நிகழ்ச்சி நன்றாய் வரும்

மற்ற பெருமைகள்
தன குடும்பத்தில் இருந்து அமரை நீக்கியதால் அவர் பெயரை மறந்தும் உச்சரிக்கவில்லை

ஒரு மதிப்புகுரியவர்களையும் விட வில்லை விழா நாயகனாய் கொண்டாடவேண்டிய மெல்லிசை மன்னர் உட்பட.
கண்டசாலா . ஸ்ரீதர் (அவருக்கு 5 படங்கள் பண்ணியும் எதோ மறுதாற்போல் ) அவர் குருவான gk வெங்கடேஷ் . ரஜினி கைதட்டிய மக்கள் ,சக இசைஅமைப்பாளர் கள்

தனக்கு சரியான பாடகர்கள் வாய்கவில்லை என்ற குறை வேறு . ஏன் அவர் வரும்போது அத்தனை ப பாடகர்களும் இருந்தார்களே .pbs மற்றும் lre வேண்டுமானால் விட்டுவிடலாம் .அப்போது இருந்த பாடகர்களை வைத்து தானே மெல்லிசை மன்னரும் வெற்றிபெற செய்தார் 1983 வரை .
இவ்வளவு பெரிய மேதை என்ன செய்தார் நல்ல பாடல்கள் பாடகர்கள் உருவாக ,உண்மையில் அவர் உருவாக்கிய பாடகர்கள் யார் 100 பாடல்கள் பாடியது ?.
தன நிலை உணர்ந்து பனி புரிந்திருந்தால் இந்த சுய பரிதாபம் தேவையில்லை அதனை சாதனையாக மற்றும் முயற்சியும் தேவையில்லை

3 மணி நேரம் நடந்த விழாவினை எவ்வளவு நேரம் வேண்டுமானால் விமர்சிக்கலாம் .

பணம் பண்ண எவ்வளவோ வழி இருக்கையில் இது தேவையா .
எனக்கொரு சந்தேகம் மேடையில் பாடும் தன பாடலுக்கு மேடை இசை குழுக்கள் ராயல்டி தரவேண்டும் என்று கூறினாரே ,அதே போல் மெல்லிசை மன்னருக்கான ராயல்டி தான் கவரில் இருந்ததா அதுவாவது சரியாக இருந்ததா இல்லை அதுவும் நிகழ்ச்சியின் தரத்திலே
ஏமாற்றம் அளிப்பதாக இருக்குமா

ஆகமொத்தம்
எனக்குள் உள்ள MSV யை காட்ட யாரும் தேவையில்லை
எனக்குள் உள்ள ராஜா பிம்பம் மாறவும் இல்லை
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: THOUGHT PROVOKING GREAT RESPONSE Reply with quote

Dear All,

What a thought provoking response by all of you?? While the matchless imagination of Shri. MSV needn't be highlighted over & again, look at the way how a seasoned MD (inspite of emerging from MSV's school) stoops to organising a concert projecting MSV in the forefront and then completely making a mockery of the musical evening (read torture). Some of my own friends who were blindly carried away by those huge promises made by IR through his well articulated ad campaigns to sell seats came back not only dejected but vowed never to venture into IR's programme yet again in their lives! I thank IR for having given this experience as otherwise many wouldn't have known the facts.

One of the most atrocious parts of the concert was IR's self driven (as usual) credentials about how he suffered (who hasn't by the way IR??) during his early days along with his brothers during which they were collectively involved in rolling out tunes for the Communist party of India virtually copying every tune of our Master shamelessly. Now he is the same IR who claims to be championing the cause for copy right issues, re-mix issues and so on totally forgetting the fact that it was he who started it all. I always believed that IR is a fantastic marketing man who knows where to make his money (apart from music) and I wouldn't be even surprised if Ennullill MSV was sold for a fortune to this "heavily loaded" TV channel.

As all of you have very rightly pointed out that it was just yet another evening to hoodwink the public that this whole event was conducted, no wonder IR's coffers kept ringing, a talent Shri. MSV completely lacked in, for the simple reason that our Legend never created music for money but for many to enjoy for the rest of their lives! This event blatantly proved beyond any doubts that Shri. MSV's songs can't be reproduced without efforts that easily, more so when the intention is otherwise.

IR must publicly accept that it was a poor show bereft of every single detail associated with music. Whether he does it or not, he has done a huge favour for those who wish to distinguish clearly between good & bad music!! For those who paid for this show, please think you went for a shortest crash course to learn this lesson.

CHEERS

MSV IS MUSIC FOREVER!!!

VAIDYMSV

Last edited by vaidymsv on Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
V Sivasankaran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All,

For those who thought, IR will offer deeper insights on the works of Shri MSV were disappointed. My expectations was on good orchestration and reasonable overall performance. Sadly he did not deliver. He rather used the platform to talk more about his brothers.

" thamarai malaril manathanai edathu" He may talk any number of times and he will have no takers. He seems to be disappointed with too many. CVS, SPB & Sj.

Rasigas may be disappointed. IR Is a happy man as the programme was a commercial sucess.
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/2015/07/23/141-legacy/

https://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/2015/07/28/142-avarullil-msv/

The above link is posting of a knowledgeable fan of Isainyani on the same programme !

So many positive aspects he has highlighted !

How we view and perceive about a person also matters ultimately ...

Every MSV fan has a preconceived negative notion about Ilayaraja and it spontaneously bursts out on every occasion where he finds it to vent his frustration. So, this was one such instance..

I am not at all surprised by the reactions shown by most of the members here as we are all hardcore worshippers of MSV and can never digest some other person who appears to be a sworn enemy / rival to us ..

Pls atleast from now, try to grow up and take things with a positive mindset....

Otherwise, we all should accept that WE ARE ALL GETTING AGED WHICH IS REFLECTING ON OUR WRITINGS .
Vatsan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Resp. Reply with quote

S. Balaji, placing oneself on a moral high ground and self-righteous pedestal when there is no mayhem here that warrants all that, is "questionable". The program was supposed to lay on the table the MSV idiom threadbare for one and all to see but what we all were subjected to were mere anecdotes with some inaccuracy. Well, read through my previous posting and you would know the snub a true music fan experienced. The last we need as a reference is a half-baked music fan's insulated views.
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: BALAJI - IR'S TORCH BEARER?? Reply with quote

Dear All,

The knee-jerk reaction of Balaji was on expected lines. Little does he realise that, here's a man who announced to the world that he is the only one in the musical fraternity to have completely understood Shri. MSV (not only did he say it with highest egoistic tendencies & arrogance, but also said none in the world apart from him, please note). Through repeated ad campaigns in leading newspapers IR tactfully (read with ulterior motives) aroused the interest in many to cough up big sums to watch the show. Commercially he was right, ethically & morally he was wrong.

All those who lined up at the Kamaraj Arangam were fooled by IR who preferred to sing his own family tunes (he is always welcome to do that during his own shows but not at an event supposed to be dedicated to our Legend) than really paying any worthwhile enchomiums on Shri. MSV whom he claims as his Guru! We have seen on several occasions his pathetic attitude (didn't we see it during Vaarthaigal Sollum Vaathiangal???) and he continues with it even now. I have personally experienced his unwarranted arrogant behaviour when MSV personally took me along with him (much against my wishes & till the last minute I didn't even know that he was going to meet IR!!!) to handover the invite for VSV.

As Vatsan had beautifully put it, "half-baked music fan's insulated views", is not required here at all. I may also add here that I have nothing to fault about Balaji being IR's greatest fan or his brand ambassador or may I say, what do I care??

CHEERS

MSV IS MUSIC FOREVER!!!

VAIDYMSV

S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

எல்லோருக்கும் வணக்கம்,

இன்னிகழ்ச்சியை முழுவதுமாகப் பார்தத துரதிர்ஷ்டசாலியான, msvtimes.comன் அங்கத்தினன் நான் ஒருவன் மட்டுமே. வத்ஸன் கூட பாதியிலேயே சென்று விட்டார்.

இளையராஜா அன்று MSVயின் இசைக்குச் செய்தது வெறும் எள்ளு.
இந்நிகழச்சியின் மூலம்,என்னுடைய பணம் ரூபாய் 2000மும் எள்ளு.
Vatsan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Resp. Reply with quote

aahaa...kavignare......
Sampath mugathhil vedithhatho eLLu koLLu....hehehe
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Resp Reply with quote

Dear All,

In spite of (AEWS) advance early warnings issued to both Sampath & Vatsan, they decided to go - reason, victims of smart ads by IR. What began as an experiment to know the "other side of MSV" as lured by IR turned out to be a disaster for these two musical buffs who got carried away by the musical "bluffs"!!! What they got in return for 2K, was zilch! The money thus burnt could have been routed to msvtimes.com at least as additional contribution to "Reminiscences" concert!!

Expensive lessons learnt I guess. The next time even if entry is free for IR's event, no one should ever make the mistake of attending for, imagine if he were to roll out his own stories......God, can't even imagine being there...

Sampath & Vatsan, inimey poviya, poviya, poviya???

CHEERS

MSV IS MUSIC FOREVER!!!

VAIDYMSV

ragasuda

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a general perception that IR belonged to MSV's team. I don't think so nor heard any such thing in the past. He mostly was a part of GKV orchestra. Though GKV was an associate of MSV, his orchestra rarely included those from that of MSV's.

GKV was almost contemporary of MSV and concentrated mostly on Kannada movies. His troupe members, I learnt, were mostly from Kannada film industry (of course, it was functioning in Madras only agreed), except a few instrumentalists from Madras.

If this might have been the prevalent situation then, except for Avalukkendru Or Manam, IR had never worked with MSV, if my guess is correct.

Unlike his Mentor GKV, I don't think IR has much of exposure to or influence of the Great Maestro MSV.

Don't think any more elaboration is necessary.
ragasuda

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Resp. Reply with quote

Vatsan wrote:
aahaa...kavignare......
Sampath mugathhil vedithhatho eLLu koLLu....hehehe

வத்சன்,
ஆனாலும் உங்களுக்கு ரொம்ப தான் லொள்ளு...
Vatsan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Resp. Reply with quote

loL...loL...loL...Smile

The reference S Balaji gave was that of a chappie who is content with watching IR talk.

Again, we are objective music listeners and all we wanted to see was what another musician had to say about the innards of MSV's compositions. The most irritating aspect was the stage managed Karthik Raja's question..."what is the difference between imitation and inspiration". IR then proceeded to demonstrate the similarity in santhams of "mAmbazhathhu vaNdu", "veedu varai uravu", "pEsuvathu kiLiyA" implying they were all imitations of one another, which again did not serve to address the intentions of the program. IR has been using these examples since the eighties. First of all, all the above mentioned songs were tuned for pre-written lyrics and therefore they are the poet's meters. MSV is very well capable of obliterating the meters but run through the lyrics of these three songs and you would realize that words are such that breaking the meter would render it all contrived. Imagine a stretch at "pEsuvathu.....", wouldnt it sound awful? For a similarly curtailed santham in "kaNNukku kulamEthu" MSV could afford to play havoc with the meter because of the mood the song was expected to convey and the fact a Ghazalish feel was apt for the situation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: