"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Legend's Great Compositions - Part 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Venugopalan Soundararajan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: The Legend's Great Compositions - Part 2 Reply with quote

Here, I would like to highlight some of the rare compositions of the Legend, using Whistling (which no other Music Director has done), Mouth Organ and composing same song in two different moods (santhosham & soham or in two different situations of the movie):

[b][u]Songs using Whistling[/u]:[/b]
1. "Vandha Naal Mudhal Indha Naal Varai" from "Pava Mannippu".
2. "Andavan Padaichan, Engitta Koduthan", from "Nichaya Thamboolam".
3. "Neerodum Vaigayile Ninradum Meene", from "Paar Magale Paar".
4. "Nenjathile Nee Netru Vandhay", from "Shanthi".
5. "Nenjirukkum Engalukkum", from "Nenjirukkumvarai".
6. "Oruvar Manadhai Oruvar Ariya", from "Gowri Kalyanam".
7. "Iniyadhu, Iniyadhu Ulagam", from "Thangai".
8. "Nadappadhu Sugamenru Nadathu", from "Moonru Deivangal".
9. "Chellak Kiligalam Palliyile", from "Enga Maama".
10. "Solladhe Yarum Kettal", from "Sorgam".
11. "Nalavai Paarthu Vaanam Sonnadhu", from "Savale Samali".
12. "Janaganin Magalai Manamalaga", from "Rojavin Raja".
(the whistling in this song is amazingly done, as it is a serious situation song).

[u][b]Songs using Mouth Organ:[/b][/u]
1. "Padaithane, Padaithane", from "Nichaya Thamboolam".
2. "Udalukku Uyir Kaval", from "Manap Pandhal".
3. "Pirakkum Podhum Azhuginray", from "Kavalai Illadha Manidhan".
4. "Kalangalil Aval Vasantham", from "Paava Mannippu".
5. "Ponnai Virumbum Boomiyile", from "Aalaya Mani".
6. "Pen Ponaal, Indha Pen Ponaal", from "Enga Veettup Pillai".
7. "Ullam Rendum, Onrai Onru", from "Sivakamiyin Selvan".

(the mouth organ bit in "Pen Ponaal" is mind blowing, with Guitar and Drums using brush in the back-ground - simply incredible).

[u][b]Same Song composed in 2 Different Moods:[/b][/u]
1. "Vandha Naal Mudhal", from "Paava Mannippu".
2. "Malargalaippol Thangai Urangugiral", from "Paasa Malar".
3. "Naan Pesa Ninaippadellam", from "Paalum Pazhamum".
4. "Andru Vandadum Idhe Nila", from "Periya Idhathu Pen".
5. "Andru Oomaip Pennallo", from "Paarthal Pasi Theerum".
6. "Paartha Gnyabagam Illayo", from "Pudhiya Paravai".
7. "Unnai Onru Ketpen", from "Pudhiya Paravai".
8. "Amaidhiyana Nadhiyinile Odam", from "Aandavan Kattalai".
9. "Oli Mayamana Edhir Kaalam", from "Pachai Vilakku".
10. "Anbulla Maan Vizhiye", from "Kuzhandhayum Deivamum".
11. "Adi Ennadi Raakkamma", from "Pattikkada Pattanama".
12. "Ammadi Ponnukku Thanga Manasu", from "Raman Ethanai Ramanadi".

Dear Saradha,
Here are some more major hits of the Master from post-1976 movies (as you say, every one knows why particularly after 1976):

1. "Thangathil Mugameduthu" & "Pongum Kadalosai" from "Meenava Nanban".
2. "Katrukkenna Veli", "Ippadiyor Thalattu Padava", "Junior, Junior", "Angum Ingum Padhai Undu", all from "Avargal".
3. "Vaan Nila Nila Alla", from "Pattinap Pravesam".
4. "Kandathai Sollugiren" (sung by the Legend himself) from "Sila Nerangalin Sila Manidhargal".
5. "Kamban Emandhan", "Ilakkanam Marudho", from "Nizhal Nijamagiradhu".
6. "Thangangale Nalai Thalaivargale" & "Velale Vizhigal" from "Ennaip Pol Oruvan".
7. "Kannanai Ninaikkadha Naalillaye", from "Seer Varisai".
8. "Ore Vaanam Ore Boomi", from "Ore Vaanam Ore Boomi".
9. "Ragangal Padhinaru Uruvana Varalaru", from "Thillu Mullu".
10. "Kadavul Ninaithan Mana Naal Padaithan", from "Keezh Vaanam Sivakkum".
11. "Kudumbam Oru Kadambam Pala Vannam" (again sung by the Master himself), from "Kudumbak Oru Kadambam".
12. "Kana Kaanum Kangal Mella", from "Agni Saatchi".
13. "Oru Osai Indri Mounamaga", from "Paritchaikku Neramachu".
14. "Unakkenna Mele Ninray Oh Nanda Lala", from "Simla Special".
15. "Kannan Manam Ennavo Kandu Vaa", from "Vasantha Ragam".
16. "Katcherikki Naanirukka Kadhal Pattugal Kai Vasathil Noorirukka", from Silk, Silk, Silk (a fast Disco number - movie produced by MSV Gopi).
17. "Chinnanjiru Kiliye Kannamma" (most melodious) and "Pavai Meedhu Parijatham Thoova Vendum" (again a fast disco number), from "Needhikku Dhandanai".

There are many others.

I will keep posting more.
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Thank you Venu & Sharadha Reply with quote

Dear Venu & Sharadha,

Fantastic!!! I really dont know how to thank you for what the bits of info you have posted. I'll collect these tracks separately and make an album of it. Also another master piece of whistle usage is in "Anubhavam Pudhumai"-Kadalikka Neramillai
vaidy
Ramesh.P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whistling

Friends

we have missed another rare and gem of a song. NILAVI PARTHU VANAM SONATHU from SAVALAY SAMALI.

Can any one heard prelude of this song? which is not available (rather edited in our great VIVIDA BHARATI). Song starts with whistle ) with frog sound and amazing violin/flute support. I think flute bit of this song was something new and entirely different while comparing to earlier songs done by Mellisai mannar.

regards
ramesh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Whistling & Mouth Organ Songs. Reply with quote

Dear Saradha & Vaidy,
Thanks for your appreciation. Thanks also for pointing out the missing songs "Anubavam Pudumai" (Whistling) and "Vasantha Kala Nadhigalile" (Mouth Organ). Though I had these songs in my mind, I missed including them while typing.

Dear Mr Ramesh,
I have very much included "Nilavai Paarthu Vaanam Sonnadhu" from "Savale Samaali" in my list. Please see Song No.11 in my list (Whistling). Any way, thanks for the additional comments on the song.
Ramesh.P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Venugopalan

Sorry. By oversight I missed it. Really happy to share LEGEND COMPOSISTION with like minded people. Thanks for this site so that we can continue to share of our thoughts about rare composistion of MELLISAI MANNAR.

regards
ramesh
satheesh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

While talking about the various instruments, we seem to have missed out Accordion.

Anubavam Pudhumai is a good example of Accordion usage. All through the song, it is being used. For filling in between lines, BGMs and the chord section with the melody.... what an usage of the instrument.

Some more light on the usage of the Accordion, please.... Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: According Usage. Reply with quote

Dear Mr Sateesh,

Accordian was one of the main Instruments extensively used by MSV in his songs. In fact, Mr Mangalamurthy the Accordianist was MSV's trump card in those days.

The first song where MSV made maximum use of Accordian was "Athan, En Athan" from "Pava Mannippu". In fact, except for the beautiful Violin piece at the start of the song, it is Accordian all the way.

Though it will be very difficult to list out the songs where the Master has used Accordian (the list will be endless), some important songs which readily come to mind are -

1. "Kannirandum Minna Minna", from Andavan Kattalai (the song starts with a most melodious Accordian piece).
2. "Ponal Pogattum Poda", from "Palum Pazhamum" (again the song starts with Accordian and has been used extensively in the song).
3. "Netruvarai Nee Yaro Naan Yaro" from "Vazhkkai Padagu" (again extensive and beautiful usage of Accordian).
4. "Kuyilaga Nanirundennna Kuralaga Nee Varavendum" from "Selva Magal" (again starts with Accordian, most melodiously used).
5. "Unga Ponnana Kaigal Punnagalama" from "Kadalikka Neramillai" (in "Anubavam Pudumai" the usage of accordian is only minimal).
6. "Porandhalum Ambilaya Porakkak koodadhu" from "Policekaran Magal".
7. "Kan Pona Pokkile Kaal Pogalama", from "Panam Padaithavan" (in fact, MGR plays the instrument in the song).
8. "Ulagam Pirandadhu Enakkaga, Odum Nadigalum Enakkaga" from "Paasam".
9. "Iyarkai Ennum Ilaya Kanni" from "Shanthi Nilayam".
10. "Pottu Vaitha Mugamo" from "Sumathi En Sundhari".
11. "Naalai Indha Velai Paarthu" from "Uyarndha Manidhan".
12. "Varavu Ettana Selavu Pathana" from "Bama Vijayam" (Guitar is the main usage in the song, with Accordian to some extent).

As I mentined above, there are countless songs with Accordian usage by the Legend, but it will be difficult to list out every thing. Like the proverb "Oru Paanai Sotrukku Oru Soru Padham", oraiyiram Accordian usage paadalgalukku merkanda oru dozen paadalgal udharanam.
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Instruments Reply with quote

Dear Sharadha & Venu,

It is a sad situation that we don't see many instruments like what MSV had used before. In fact the technological advancement is what that paved the way for an unceremonius exit for many wonderful instruments. Though playing & mastering of every instrument is really a herculean task, I am really paind to see many of the players literally languishing in utter misery as most of their jobs have been literally robbed by these so called "advanced instrument players". The variety of instruments used by MSV probably will ever remain unbroken! I am in the process of completing my comprehensive Orchestra of MSV which should of very great interest to many. Pse await for that to be uploaded soon
Cheers
vaidy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Vaidy,

I entirely agree with your views. Most orchestras of the current day manage with 2 Key Boards, a Guitar, a Tabla and a Rhythm Pad. What a pity?

It was indeed a pleasure to see MSV's massive Orchestra headed by the Master himself on the Harmonium, a minimum of 15 violins, a complete Drums set, Guitar, Trumpets, Flute, Accordian, Mandolin, Santoor, Mukaveena, Shehnai, Tabla, Dolak, Bangoes, Triple Congo, Double Bass and what not??? In fact, Mr Murugesh (now kown as Meesai Murugesh) used to handle a dozen instruments by himself including Tavil, Moresing and various small small percussion instruments, etc. by constantly switching from one instrument to the other.

More than the Orchestra, it used to be a wonderful sight seeing MSV conducting the orchestra by waving his hands to go with the music. Many a times, he used to leave his Harmonium and go near the particular instrument player, left hand holding his Dhoti and the right hand waving vigorously at the player to make him come out with the best. One should see it in person to enjoy it.

I am eagerly waiting for your upload on the Legend's comprehensive orchestra.

Long Live MSV and his Mermerizing Music!!
tvvraghavan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add some more HIT movies during the post 1976 era of the Musical Saint :

1. All songs of Ninaithaley Inikkum (1979)- especially Bharathi Kannamma, Engeyum Eppothum, Inimai Niraintha, Ninaithaley Inikkum, Namma OOru Singari, Sambo Sivasambo

2. Varumayin Niram Sivappu (1980)- Chippi Irukkuthu Muthum Irukkuthu (SPB n SJ), Theertha Karayiniley (SPB), Nalla Dhor Veenai Seithey (SPB),Ranga Rangaiyya (PS)

3. Pokkiri Raja - Vidiya Vidiya Solli Tharuven (SPB n PS)

4. Andhaman Kadhali (1978)- Andhamanai Paarungal (KJ n VJ), Ninaivaley Silai Seithu (KJ n VJ), Panam Ennada Panam (TMS)

5. Annan Oru Kovil - Title Song - 2 versions - one sung by SPB,other by PS, Malligai Mullai(TMS)

6. Nilavey Malarey (1986-not sure) Very Melodious - Mannil Vantha Nilavey (PS)

7. Thirisoolam (must be 1979)- Almost all songs - Malar koduthen(TMS), Irandu Kaigal Naangaanal (SPB and KJ),Thirumalin Thirumaarbil (KJ and VJ)

8. Andha 7 Naatkal (1981 - I was born Surprised ) - Thendral Adhu (JC and SJ),Kavithai Arangerum (JC and SJ), Swararaaga (JC and VJ), Enni irunthathu Eedera (MV and VJ)

9. Aval Oru Thodarkathai (1978) - Adi Ennadi Ulagam (LRE),Deivam Thantha (KJ),Kadavul Amaithu Vaitha (SPB n Saibaba),Kanniley Enna Undu (SJ)

10. Vandikaaran Magan (1978) - Medayil Aadidum (SPB), Paduthal Purandal (SPB) - Not sure if this was a hit

Am not sure of the years....Please correct if there is any mistake.

Dear Venu Jhee and Saradha Madam,
My Humble Pranams to you both. Am totally astonished with your detailed analysis and writings and Thanks for the same.

Many times I have seriously regretted to have taken this birth after the Musical Saint's Golden era in Tamil Movie Industry. If I had born earlier , I could have also enjoyed watching His recordings,re-recordings, composing and live concerts. But today am happy to atleast know a lot about this Musical Saint and visualise what everyone watched and enjoyed.

Dear Andy, Venu Jhee and Saradha Madam - Thanks for the beautiful narration of your experiences (which actually makes me feel envious Wink )

MSV Rules !!!

Venky.
Member - Core Crew
MSVTIMES.COM
Ram

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Venky,

Great listing man! Reminds me of our college days, where we used to sit and talk about MSV in the last bench, when the Electro-Magnetics class would go on Wink Write more.

As you mentioned in your article, we were standing examples of the lines: "Puthagam Payyiley! Budhhiyo Paattiley!!!"; We both are still like that and will always be like this, FOREVER !!! And we are proud to be so. Right???
tvvraghavan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ofcourse, Ram,we are proud to be like this. Do you remember, we even tried to list out all the movies and works of KBalachander during his 100th movie release "Paarthaley Paravasam" and to our shock , Ranga all on a sudden came and added the movie "Naanal" that was missing in our list.

---------------------------
Venky,
Member - Core Crew
MSVTIMES.COM
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Great Song! Reply with quote

Dear Venky & Ram,

Paduthal Purandal is a great song by SPB and was a hit but unfortunately this song was banned from being played on AIR as it was something like "Love to Love you Baby" by Donna Summer Wink But there's another great song in the movie sung by LRE - "oru pakkam neruppu" in which MSV unleashes a solo violin. Fabulous club song. Club song na sollavey venam, MSV kalakkiduvaru. Reminds me of my school days also. This Vandikkaran Magan came in the year 1976 and was released in a theatre called Thara in Krishnagiri (I was in my SSLC). I along with my friends(they were also crazy after msv and unfortunately am not in touch with them now) bought the lowest ticket and occupied the very first row in order to capture the audio. My friend Ramani who had a tape recorder hidden in a bag started recording all the songs live. Thirutu audio cassette appave vandhachu. Such was the level of addiction for MSV we all had and we still have. Thank you two for taking me on an old time trip
Cheers
vaidy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Club Songs Reply with quote

Dear Vaidy/Venkat/Ram,

Like the “Paduthal Purandal” song mentioned by Vaidy, there was one more song “Ethanai Azhagu Kottik kidakkudhu Eppadi Manadhai Thattip Parikkidhu, ammamma udalengum silirkudhu, aanaalum achamdhan thadukkudhu” from “Sivakamiyim Seslvan” was a wonderfully composed song from the Master, which was never broadcast by AIR. The song sung by SPB was the equivalent for “Roop Tera Mastana” from “Aradhana”. Though it was a bit of “A” song in the movie, but not audio-wise. Around the time the film was released, SPB’s first song in MSV’s stage performances used to be this song. Do you remember this song?

Coming to Club Songs of the Legend, the list may turn out to be long. But the one which remains at the top of the list is “Paartha Gnyabaagam Illayo” from “Pudhiya Paravai”. Apart from MSV allotting this Club Song to PS, the other PS Club number that immediately comes to mind is “Paavai Paaavaidhan, Asai Asaidhan, Paarthu Pesinal Ega Boghamdhan” from “Enga Mama”, a superbly composed number with wonderful usage of Guitar, Accordion & Bangoes. The Bangoes bit played by Ganesh used to receive a great round of applause during stage performances.

Among the other Club Songs (most of which feature, of course LRE, who else), the most memorable ones are:

1. Adavarelam Ada Varalam – Karuppu Panam
2. Idhu Verulagam Thani Ulagam – Nichaya Thamboolam
3. Vara Vendum Oru Pozhudum – Kalaik Kovil
4. Adada Enna Azhagu – Nee
5. Ninaithen Ennai Azhaithen Unnai – Thangai (never heard on Radio or seen on TV so far)
6. Kangalukkenna Kavalillaiyo – Nil Gavani Kadhali
7. Love is fine darling when you’r mine – Thavap Pudhalvan
8. Minminip Poochigal Kangalil Thenpadum – Bharatha Vilas
9. Solladhe Solladhe Oorarku Solladhe – En Magan
10. Adhisaya Ulagam – Gowravam

Writing this in a hurry. Others are not readily coming to mind.

Venky & Ram, I feel proud of you. For some ones at such a young age, to be equally crazy fans of the Master as Veterans like Vaidy & me, is some thing great. Of course, it goes for my younger daughter too, who is still younger to you. She became a fanatic of MSV just by listening to his numbers with me and by my giving her detailed accounts on the Master’s talents.

Regarding carrying a Tape Recorder to the theatre, it has been done by yours faithfully too. Unfortunately, the Cassettes got spoiled.
srandy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you Venu & Sharadha Reply with quote

vaidymsv wrote:
Dear Venu & Sharadha,

Fantastic!!! I really dont know how to thank you for what the bits of info you have posted. I'll collect these tracks separately and make an album of it. Also another master piece of whistle usage is in "Anubhavam Pudhumai"-Kadalikka Neramillai
vaidy

Not to forget the "morsing" (am not sure of the spelling Sad )in "kaadhal kaadhal endru paesa mannan vandhaanO" - "uththaravindri uLlae vaa".. Only the MM could have thought of using that instrument in that song!!!... : )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: