"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Legend's Great Compositions - Part 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
srandy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: unnai thoduvathu iniyathu - uththarvindri uLLae vaa Reply with quote

While thinking of "uththarvindri uLlae vaa" I was reminded of lovely song from the movie "utharavindri uLLae vaa". A very nice simple comedy from Sreedhar. Ravichandran , Kanchana, Nagesh, Ramaprabha are amongst the cast in the movie.

I like the way this song starts and ofcourse takes its on detours and returns : ) The starting stanza is sung by SPB and PS and is simply wonderful and has a lot of jive in it.

This whole song is picturised on two couples alternately - and the MM ensures that the song keeps track of that effect. On one side there is Ravichandran and Kanchana, a charming couple, for whom SPB and PS sing and on the other side theres Nagesh and Ramaprabha who are a comic couple for whom Saibaba and LRE sing. If you read that part of the lyrics you will be able to appreciate it more if you have seen the movie.. coz it goes with ramaprabha's character and what goes on in the movie. the stanzas starting with "orae murai paarthen" and "nee paandiyanin pillayo" are those sung by saibaba and LRE for Nagesh and Ramaprabha.

The dexterity with which the MM moves from one tempo / tempo / mode etc. to another and returns as though nothing ever happened to the song, amazes me!!

Cheers
&y
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Athisaya Ulagam from Athisaya Creator! Reply with quote

Dear Sharadha,

The song Athisaya Ulagam from Gowravam is yet another world class master piece from our Master creator. The song starts with a scream followed by heavy brass section and by the way that ta..ta..taa noise is nothing but Thavil! There's no one in the world apart from our MSV who's used so many instruments and there will always be a new dimension for it's usage and for that instrument itself. I would go one step and boldly say, a lot of instruments earned their prominence in the world of music because of MSV! What a versatility in diversity? Simply astonishing!
Long Live Dr. MSV
Cheers
vaidy
Venugopalan Soundararajan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Moresing & Clarinet. Reply with quote

Dear Saradha,
Thanks for the additions. Yes, “Adhisaya Ulagam” is one of my favourites too, like “Gowaravam” being my all time favourite Sivaji film. Actually, for the music bit (for which Sivaji gives dance movements in sitting position), MSV has used “Clarinet” in low pitch base sound. Many will think that it is Saxaphone. But it is actually Clarnet. An amazing usage, which only the Master is capable of. Did you read my posting on Gowravam, in continuation of your comments (in the actors section)?

Dear Randy,
Regarding use of “Moresing” (spelling is not that important), another song that I readily remember is “Sudhandhira Boomiyil Palavagai Janangalum Thottathil Malarndha Malargal, Thottathu Malargalin Ayiram Nirangalum Janangalin Ayiram Gunangal” (a wonderful lyric too by K’dasan), from “Dharmam Enge”, where MSV has used Moresing to great effect. This movie is one of the biggest flops of Sivaji (may be along with “Praptham” & “Padhukappu”). However, as I had said in one of my earlier notes too, “Films may flop, but MSV’s music never flops”. Almost all songs in “Dharmam Enge” were good. Along with “Sudhandhira Boomiyil”, the duet “Palli Araikkul Vandha Pulli Mayile” is an excellent song and was a big hit.
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Wise men think alike! Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Venu,

Sudhanthira Boomiyin is also one of my most favourite songs. In the 2nd BGM after TMS laaaaaa lalaaaaaa, MSV would have used a flute for the same tune....... Mind boggling stuff indeed. By the way Venu do u hv that song or movie on CD????
Cheers
vaidy
Venugopalan Soundararajan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Sudhandhira Bhoomiyil Reply with quote

Dear Vaidy,

I am extremely sorry; I am not fortunate enough to possess the song or the movie. In fact, I tried hard to come across it when I was in Chennai, but without luck.
S.SAMPAT

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Venu, Venky and others,

Great List of immortal songs with different instruments/whisle

I can not match u all. You are all great. I feel too small before all of u.

Keep it up.

regards
sampat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: