"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brindavana Saranga, at its Best!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ram

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Brindavana Saranga, at its Best! Reply with quote

"Brindava Saranga"

Some idea about the Raga (from Internet):

This is a desya raga derived from the 22nd mela Kharaharapriya. The notes taken by this raga are Sa^ Chatusruti Ri^ Sadharana Ga^ Sudha Ma^ Pa and Kaishiki Ni. A dhaivata varjya raga belonging to the audava vakra shadava group. Ga is varjya in the arohana. Ri^ Ma^ and Ni figure both as jiva svara and nyasa svaras. A minor raga having a tranquilising effect. Even though a sarvakaklika raga. It is sung in post pallavi part in the concerts. A bhakthi rasa pradhana raga having sacharas in all three octaves. In Hindusthani music it is known as Brindavani a desya raga. This raga is referred in works like Brihaddharma purana^ Ragatarangini^ Chaturdandi prakashika^ etc. In all these works this raga is referred to as Brindavani. Most suitable raga for singing bhajans^ slokas etc.

MSV and Brindavani

The following are unbelievable compositions of MSV, having Brindavani (or) Brindavana Saranga as its basis. Ancient days, this Raga is "supposedly" used only as a "Bhakthi" Raga. But MSV went beyond just application of this Raga and composed songs based on the "Bhavam" of this Raga - The Tranquilising Effect. All the situations of the following songs definitely has a tranquil feeling and MSV's serene usage of this Raga in the songs, is simply out-of-the-world !!!

When I started identifying Ragas in my boy-hood, I used to note down the song and its Raga in my diary. It is amazing now, even for myself, to see that I had given separate topic called "MSV's Brindavani" and for no other raga I had given this. Such is the power of MSV's songs in this raag. The capability to attract the listener, even without his knowledge, is the greatness of the legendary composer called M.S.V.

Here we go...

1. Chinna Kanne Chithira Kanne Kelamma (Film: Polladhavan)
2. Muthukkalo Kangal (Film: Nenjirukkum Varai)
3. En Aasayum Unnodu (Film: Thirudan)
4. Santhanathil Nalla Vaasam Eduthu (Film: Praaptham) (Prelude - where TMS teaches PS in the song, will be soaked in Brindavani)
5. Poovaraiyum Poongodiye (Film: Idhayathil Nee)
6. Pon Ondru KandEn (Film: Padiththaal Mattum Pothuma) - What an application?

The following are clean Qawali (or) Ghazal based Songs (Amazing MSV!)
7. Thanga Magal Vayitril (Film: Vaazhkai Padagu)
8. Thangachi Chinna Ponnu (Film: Karuppu Panam)

"Ragas wait to be touched by the Midas, in the name of M.S.V!!!"

Last edited by Ram on Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
msvramki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

அன்புள்ள ராம்

எம் எஸ் வி யின் 'பிருந்தாவன சாரஙகா' பற்றீ அலச பல பிறப்பு
எடுத்தால்தான் முடியும். ஒவ்வோர் பாட்டிலும் என்ன ஒரு பிரயோகம் !

உன் பட்டியலில் உள்ள பாடல்கள் எல்லாம் ராகம் ஒன்று, - பாவம்,
அளிக்கும் விதம் வேறு.

அதிலிருந்து ஒரு பாடல் எடுத்து அலசேன் !

ராம்கி.
tvsankar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ram,

Beautiful Raagam - Beautiful nos told by you..

Paatai alasum list il - Sandhanathil nalla vasam eduthu - indha paatiayum konjam alasungalen.. Neyar virupamaga eduthu kollavum.

Miga azhagana Themmangu paatu - i feel...

Nalla Ghee il seidha Kodhumai Alwha vai pol - appadi oru nice composition .......

With Love,
Usha Sankar.
tvvraghavan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: My Fav Raaga Reply with quote

Dear Ram,
Loong time.....how are you ???
The songs based on this raaga have always been my favourite unknowingly......Am pretty much sure that it is because of our Master's element in it... I just could not believe my ears when Ramki uncle told me that "Thangachi Chinna Ponnu..." from Karuppu Panam is based on this raaga...What a Qawwali with LRE and Sirgazhi. The hilite of the song is Sirgazhi's incomparable humming.

BTW Poovaryum Poongodiye is from the movie,"IDHAYATHIL NEE".
I think this is the first song composed by the Vali-MSV combo.

What a usage of Shehanai in "THANGA MAGAL..." from Vaazhkai Padagu.. !!

Thanks for reminding these songs...

MSV Rules !!!
Venkat
Ram

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Dad/Ushakka,

I will definitely pick one song from 'MSV's Brindavani' list above for analysis.

And Ushakka, your statement "Nalla Ghee il seidha Kodhumai Alwha vai pol - appadi oru nice composition..." Very well said. May be when we meet some time, I would love to have a cup of "Kodhumai Alwa" from you, while listening to "Santhanathil Nalla" at the back-ground. Wow !!! (Will you?)

Hey Venky, nice to know that you had been attracted to MSV's Brindavani unknowingly (Who would'nt?). I updated 'Idhayathil Nee' above. Thanks for the info.

As you mentioned, Seerghazhi's humming in Thangachi Chinna Ponnu and the lullaby (Aaareero Aareeroo... humming) in Thanga Magal Vayitril ...... Straight from the Eternal.

The Sloka "Sriranga Pura Vihaara" sung by Sri.M.S.Subbulakshmi is a Perfect and the Best example of Brindavana Saaranga for 'Bhakthi'. (I missed to quote this example in my write-up and it definitely needs a mention here)

It is interesting to note that none of the MSV songs listed above is for a "Bhakthi" situation. But see the "Bhavam" or the "feel" each song is trying to convey and see the variety in MSV's application !!! Anyone will feel lighter and divine, on listening to these songs !!!

Matchless MSV !!!
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting / nice thread you have chosen Ram ! Very Happy

Ragas wait to be touched by the Midas, in the name of M.S.V

100 % true Very Happy

IMO, Pon ondru kanden is another treasure hunt to explore Smile
tvsankar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ram,
kandipa unga asai niraiverum... Nalla Ghee il seidha alwa saptundu, "Sandhanathil nalla " padalai ncihayam ketkanam dhan...

Sirudhum nerudal illamal, pisiru illamal - Oru Nice composition by MSV.....azhagana flow.....adhan kodhumai alwa vai solla thonithu....

ana oru chinna doubt - about alwa.... Laughing
I would love to have a cup of "Kodhumai Alwa" from you, while listening to "Santhanathil Nalla" at the back-ground. Wow !!! (Will you?)

Ellarum alwa kodukaradha dhan sollindu iruka indha kaalathil.Indha kaalathil alwa ketkum nalla ullamae, ungal asai nivaratum.... Laughing

with Love,
Usha Sankar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: