"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Special Effects

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Comments, Questions, Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P. Sankar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Special Effects Reply with quote

Could someone tell how the effect of the "sound of Lovebirds" made in the recording of the song "Love Birds Love birds" from the film "Anbey Vaa"? A song recorded some 43 years back but still fresh....

P. Sankar...TIRUNELVELI
madhuraman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Special effects Reply with quote

Dear friend
Talking of special effects, I should recall here that MSV has been the earliest to go for special effects that were genuine inserts at apt locales and to appropriate scales. Though I have no authentic information in what was done for "Love Birds" in ANBAY VAA, my surmise is, it was a filler with mimicry by Mr. SADHAN who had 'all and no specific' role on MSV troupe. Why I say so is, if we carefully listen the lead part of the song, as PS opens out love birds, bird chirps are heard. But the chirping is absolutely modulated almost paving the way for the orchestra to follow.To be precise the closing chirps are single pieces in quick succession.My feeling is it was human rendition. If some one has any specific information it may please be brought out here for all of us to enjoy. My contention is based on my familiarity with the information as to how MSV was diligently using Sadhan's skills right from the days of Paalum pazhamum.One may find a parallel [not identical] in dexterity of using bird-like rendition in the song THATHTHAI NENJAM in the movie Server Sundaram [1963-64]. A seperate thread on adoption of non-instument species of sounds would be needed to bring in all such instances. It may not be feasible to record the actual bird voices, as they may not exactly obey the situations of the octaves prescribed. We may request MSV to give an interview and post it here for all to understand yet another alacrity of this MD.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Navi Mumbai.
saradhaa_sn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Prof. Raman...

You are correct. Sadhan was taking part for most of the special effect sounds in MSV troup.

MSV himself told in his interview for Dhoordharshan for some years ago, that, the ball-striking sound in the song "பறக்கும்... பந்து பறக்கும்" from the movie பணக்கார குடும்பம் was done by Sadhan, by using his mouth and finger. (எம்.எஸ்.வி.அவர்களே செய்து காட்டினார்).

Another man for special effects is "Meesai" Murugesh. He himself invented some 'handmade instruments' to make special effects.
Baskar CS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is interesting and amazing to note that what great rasikas are available for MSV
this reminds me of olimayamana song from PV where i learnt that anna used emery sheet or uppu kakitham for the BG score of the train sound effect
it is the genius in born quality and i cannot imagine how he was able to produce all things

albert einstein once wrote that the whole world will be amazed and wonder how a man like mohandass gandhi had lived preached after two hundred years
may be i have not put it correctly
this is not over imagination ,but i cannot control my wonder as to how MSV was able to do this forty years ago
splendid
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Comments, Questions, Suggestions All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: