"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use of mimicry in songs- a new dimenaion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhuraman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Use of mimicry in songs- a new dimenaion Reply with quote

Dear friends,
Years after the songs were composed, we happen to recall several items with pride and happiness not because we made them but as they stay deeply involved in the soul of the listeners.
This is possible only if the composer has kept the spirit of the song alive. For the present endeavour, I choose those where MM has employed non-human voices to vibrantly fortify the situation. I begin this thread with the idea that analysts would dissect them for the nuances of composition- a domain that I am not endowed with. Most songs listed are too well known and I only give the names of songs and the supporting mimic in that number, with a few observations if necessary.
Paalum pazhamum- Ponal pogattum [ All graveyard animals and birds ]
Parakkum paavai- Muththamo mohamo[ All circus animals]
Server Sundaram -Thaththai nenjam [Domesticated parrot]
Avargal - Junior, junior- Irumanam konda [Ventriloquism -doll]
Aval oru thodar kadhai - Kadavul amaththu vaithha [all animals,
instrumental noise by oral exposition, aeroplane -what not]
Anbey vaa - Love birds [ love bird chirps]
Anbey vaa [Angel voices]
Rickshawkaran -Azhagia thamizh magal [ chipmonks ] are a few that come to my memory.
Others may please add to this list. It has never been a ritualistic addition of sounds here and there. But , a very orderly blending of animal voices at the most acceptable spots in all songs. In Ponal pogattum, the grave gravity of the graveyard was enacted with these unusual [Amaanushya] voices by Mr. Sadhan. He has brilliantly played the parrot voice in THATHTHAI NENJAM, repeating the last word in all the lines of the pallavi,and responding wheneverthe bird is referred to. In fact, the parrot announces the intermission "IDAI VAELAI" in the movie. Also throughout the movie 'Avargal' Sadan's voice has lent the doll voice for Kamal's ventriloquism. I use these instances to recall how MM has employed every skill to promote realistic harmony through songs. Undobtedly it has been creative by any logical deduction.
Warm regards Prof. K.Raman Navi Mumbai
P. Sankar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Sir,

What is that "Chipmonks" Sir?

As you rightly pointed out, the special effects of the song "Ponal pogattum poda" is a life-time immerobale song? In fact I dont see it as a pathos song; a song which is very positive in its content. It advises the general public to gain strength from an adversity. The song was taken into an ultimate level of pleasure to watch on screen by none other than our SHIVAJI; OH! WHAT A STYLE! WHAT AN ELEGANCE IN WALKING!

A great imagination on the part of the Music Director to produce this song with such different voices.

P. Sankar - TIRUNELVELI
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: