"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Songs composed by MSV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhuraman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Songs composed by MSV Reply with quote

Dear friends,
Seeing the innumerable variety of MSV compositions and logically the rasikas thereof, it looks ideal to consider the musical path [rather it should be the King's way or Raja Pattai] of MSV. At the same time he can not be confined to the frames of time and calendar as we are all aware. Yet, if we carefully assemble the songs in any specific 5 year span, it should be possible for us to understand how MM sustained quality through changing times. This facet of MSV or MMs will portray why he can be called A TREND-SETTER. Already there is a list songs for amost the entire of MSV's Chronology as a Composer. Naturally, in tracing the evolution of TFM it may be necessary to look at the then trends to augment conceptual clarity.Caution should be integral to the approach to desist from bad remarks and to stay within the confines of the definition of analysing the qualities of compositions in a period. The idea sounds attractive provided knowledgeable people come forward to devote a little time to assemble their observations to lend clarity to the concept of TFM evolution. I stop with this for the moment with fond hopes that some beginning may soon come forth making it comfortable for others to pursue the thread. I honestly feel such a documentation would be a tribute to the legend. Let it be that we make some beginning and if necessary all the information may be suitably condensed for continuity and clarity. So . dear friends bring the trends and not detailed analysis of individual songs except for a major example. It is one way of reaffirming the long and taxing path that the legend chose while staying absolutely silent about his nuances. It is for us to explore this domain as an effort of consolidating a near total picture.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Navi Mumbai.
P. Sankar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Sir,

It's a nice discussion you have started. Undoubtedly he is a trendsetter who had singlehandedly kept changing the trends for three decades. MARVELLOUS! Now and then we come across Music Directors who change the trend once and then it continues and continues.. only leaving for somebody else to alter the course. Not the case with MSV; that is the secret of his success. He was making himself always fresh by bringing in changes for every four or five years.

For a man who began his journey in early 1950's with the films like Sorga vaasal,Jenova and all, he was only one among the crowd. Little later he was making his presence felt very loud with films like Gulebhagavali, Pudhayal, Mahadevi, Malayitta Mangai, Mannathi mannan, Pathibhakthi. Then he brought in the concept of "Mellissai" with the series of "Pa" films in 60's, which brough the blend of good lyric, scintillating voice variety of TMS,P.Susheela,PB.Sreenivas and a quality music composition. Then the journey took another turn and now the melody was packed with excellent orchestration which Tamil Films have never seen earlier...films like Pudhiya paravai, kadhalikka neramillai, vennira aadai, periya idathupen, dheivathai, ayirathil oruvan..
By the mid of 60's the famous Duo separated..MSV continued his style individually with the same flair with films like Kalangarai Vilakkam, Chandrodhayam, Kudiyirundhakoil, Neelavaanam, Panchavrnakili,Parakkum Paavai, Raamu, Kannan En Kadhalan, Uyarndha manithan and it went on.

By early 70's, fresh voices like SPB and KJ Yesudhoss were brought in with full force. Who would have imagined TMS would be replaced by SPB and Yesudhoss for some songs of Shivaji and MGR. MSV had the guts to bring in this change. This eventually brought in a new freshness to the songs of that period. Songs like Pottu vaitha mugamo, Paadumbothu naan thendralkatru, Malarey kurinji malarey, vizhiye kadhai yezhudhu were the No.1 hit songs in their respective films. And the songs in that period contained lots of well-orchestrated songs like Aagayapandhaliley ponoonjal aaduthama, Madhana maligayil, Velalley vizhigal and ofcourse who can forget the album of the decade..Ulagam sutrum Vaaliban. Many different instruments were tried.

By mid 70's, the trend of K.Balachandar was in full peak. MSV's songs and re-recording were mind-blowing for his films in this period like Aval oru thodarkathai, Avargal, Aboorva Raaganga, Manmadhaleelai, Nizhal Nijamagirathu, pattinapravesam,Moonru mudichu. He was part of the change over of the re-recording style of Tamil Films.

In early 80's his trend-setting continued. "Ninaithaley Innikkum" --ninaithaley innikkum. Orey vaanam orey bhoomi, Simla special, Billa, 47 naatkal, varumayin niram sigappu....Three decades is a pretty long period for a person to show his creativity continuously. I dont think any other Music Director has performed as successfully as MSV for more than 30 years.

P. Sankar - TIRUNELVELI
madhuraman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Songs composed by MSV Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Sankar,
Never for a moment, I had expected that someone would respond overwhelmingly. You have displayed uncontaminated affection you hold for MSV and have cascaded a wealth of information in a single down pour. I am really pleasantly shaken. What I mean is this. You have put every piece of information, in a crisp nutshell and brought off all that you desired to express. Quite understandable- more so as one tries to narrate how MM was a trend setter. May I request you and all our friends to select a shorter segment of time -say a 5-6 year period selecting the best numbers irrespective of any star value and show the major "beauties" of the songs ? This will enable the later- born people to follow how the journey of this wizard was a major source of involved, inspiring and innovative trend setting. All the same, you have pumped in some major viewpoints that show how MSV was different even from himself from time to time! I deem it my duty to bring to your notice and consideration some minor slips in your references. For instance, KJ J had begun quite early and MSV had used him in 1963 for Kadhalikka Neramillai[1964] and not 70s. Likewise Panjavarnakkili was by MSV-TKR and as a reference may I quote this from Radio Ceylon? Radio Ceylon broadcasted a programme on "How movie songs are prepared [rehersal] and recorded. The item for this programme was the song Sathiyam Sivam Sundaram by PS . I still remember how MSV was lamenting at the recording theatre. The voice was heard thus " Ramamurthy, andha Veenai yai correct notekku vaasikka sollu- yetthanai thadavai than solradhu" clearly it was MSV's voice and we used to cherish listening to the recording of the recording as we had know other means of knowing how things happened. So Mr. Sankar, I request your further contributions in this segment, so that our attempts would set opinions to right perspective and make the younger people realize that innovations started before their parents' wedding as a message that 1980s or later stages have after all enjoyed the advantage of piecemeal recording and are unable to compete even with the pale shadows of brilliance churned out by MM 30 years ago or earlier. Please continue your profound contribution and enthuse all of us to look at all facets of this music phenomenon MSV. Thank you.
Warm Regards. Prof.K.Raman Navi Mumbai
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: