"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MELODY'S SYNONYM VISWANATHAN - BY RAM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ram

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: MELODY'S SYNONYM VISWANATHAN - BY RAM Reply with quote

MELODY'S SYNONYM VISWANATHAN

The following write-up can be seen as a study on the evolution of Tamil Film Music and the contribution of the Legendary Indian Composer, M.S.Viswanathan during the process. This will find analysis on the Music of different Music Directors of Tamil Films in general and MSV's in particular. This will try to analyse MSV's music in a completely different perspective. This article will also find frequent references to other composer's music and hence it is purely an objective analysis.

In general, the Music that we listen to during the childhood and adulthood will be our favourite music, be whatever century we are in. This is clearly evident in my dad's oldest cousin being a G.Ramanathan-MKT-P.U.Chinnappa fan, my dad and his friends being MSV fans, his youngest brother (my 'chithappa') being a Illayaraja fan, my generation being A.R.Rahman fans. Whats great now is that, though my age is generations away from MSV, his music not only reached me, after travelling through all these years, but also appeals to me and many other folks in my generation. This is an apparent proof for the fact that MSV's music is "TIMELESS" when it comes to listening and "TIRELESS" when it comes to time-travelleing!!!

Before going to Music, let us see the evolution of "Sounds" in Tamil Films. MSV has many unique qualities in Music that differentiated him from his predecessors and his contemporaries. Of them, the amazing ones being, his quest for "sounds" and using the "Best of Technologies". His music was not limited just to use a Harmonium, a 'Fiddle' to support the voice, a Bul-Bul- Dhara/Clarinet as a filling instrument. He took the usage of instruments to unimaginable, unconventional, unbelievable heights. Its highly surprising that a man from Illapulli (Kerala) did these revolutions to the Film Music! The sounds of his orchestra had unique characteristics that one can instantly identify that it is MSV's music within seconds after the start of the song.

There has always been a saying among MSV's fans. "MSV created so many wonders in so many songs, when there was hardly any advancement in technology". But what I feel should have been the statement is: "MSV has used the Best of Sounds and the technologies available during his times, to give a difference in sounds for his Music"; The recording methods have taken great evolutions in Tamil Films. 1930s, 40s had the style of recording where the composers used to go running behind the camera men and keep composing in the shooting spot (set) itself and the heros/ hero-ins will sing while they act. The next generation started to use Studios and Track recordings. Great composers like G.Ramanathan, K.V.Mahadevan, S.M.Subbiah Naidu, Papanasam Sivan, Viswanathan-Ramamoorthy started to use this system.

The following generations of composers had (have) used and enjoyed better technical advancements, viz, Multi-track recording, Home Studios and above all - Internet . Its all an evolution and continuous advancement and there is nothing to pity at the previous generations of technologies (or) to keep wondering/cursing the future technologies. Each way has its own pros and cons. The factor that one needs to appreciate and understand is how the available technology was used to produce Best results at each stage.

For example, the first song programmed completely in a Synthesiser was by Illayaraja in "Agni Natchathiram". The first Indian film with world class quality Digital recording is Roja by A.R.Rahman, whose "Panchathan Inn" - is now Asia's Best Digital Recording Studio. So in each of generations composers, who used different sounds have been clear winners of that era and MSV has been the fore-runner in this concept.

The above fact can be proved by understanding the unparallel contribution of MSV to the concept of "Sounds". MSV differentiated himself from the rest during his times, by using the Best out of Analog recordings with quality Mike systems, 3-track recordings, Speakers, head phones for the singers, a dedicated studio for composing and recording for a film and using Sound Engineers for recording and the facilities for 'Dubbing'. Though others during his times used these as well, MSV's sounds were distinct, which shows his dedication and passion to produce quality recording which differentiated his Music and its sound quality from the rest of the composers during his reign. He has the unique ability to point out a wrong note in an orchestra of instruments. He brought in the concept of Orchestration to songs; He proved that a song has more than just a tune through his scintillating Preludes and Interludes and Back-Ground scores in his movies. This brought a totally "RICH" feel altogether to Tamil Music, for, the leap in Music was real big. His usage of rare instruments at the right places, the arrangement styles, heavy Brass-Trumpet-Bass-Strings sections, introduction and usage of Hindustani instruments like Santoor, Shenoy, Sarodh, Saarangi and above all bringing out melodies from these 'foreign' instruments proves that MSV is not only a genius beyond par in Music, but also a researcher in Sounds, who is ready to experiment to the maximum extent possible. He goes to umpteen number of takes for a single song, till he and everyone get satisfied. This quest for "RICH Sounds" is clearly evident in all his stages of Music. MSV had the vision and courage to take an orchestra to stage which is another standing testimony of his "Getting the Best from Technology" skill. Staging an orchestra was not even imagined in dreams by any of the other composers duing his times.

All his achievements and contributions that he has shelled out to the Indian Film Music shows that his Musical prowess is "In born" that he may not even remember all of those. This also shows that he is a Child at Heart (as he forgets his own feats) and Giant in Music!!!!

Now, into Music. Am not sure how to consolidate the list of marvels that MSV created and I'm left with no answer for my own question: "Where do I begin?"

Clifton Chenier is a great musician of a music type called "Cajun/Zydeco"; "Zydeco" music is a type of folk music originated in the South-West of Louisiana influenced by the French-Speaking "Cajuns"; It is basically a French Music, with American influences; Piano accordian and "wash board" are the major instruments used in this form of music; It is a type of street music that reflects the poor economic conditions that prevailed during its inception; Clifton, popularly known as "King of Zydeco", in one of his interviews said that it was his idea to mix French Music with American Rock; The music style became very popular in America.

MSV has used accordian in many of his recordings and some of his numbers have the influence of Zydeco too. The preludes of "Sorgam Pakkathil", the songs "Thaane Thanne Thanna Na Naa", "Ulagam Engum Orey Mozhi" has clear influences of Zydeco. No one in the world can describe how he has got the influence of this Music type and the way he has used accordian. In many of his re-recordings of club sequences (remember Actor Balaji will always be the owner of that club, picking 'beautiful' girls !!!), his rock-n-roll type songs will have Zydecos and am sure if we still start to dig more, we will get more of MSV's Music of this kind.

Another point that struck me while hearing Clifton's interview, when he said he mixed Frech Music and Rock Music. His statement, though it was his great idea to mix styles, did not amaze me very much, as our man, MSV has done innumerable amount of "mixes" or "Fusions" of music styles and all having a touch of Indian Melody; Heavy Jazz influences can be seen in songs like the prelude of "Viswanathan Velai Vendum"; There will be lot of variations in the first few notes itself. "Ninaithathai Nadathiye Mudippavan", "Thedinen Vandhadhu" etc are some other songs with Jazz influences. "Malarendra" from "Kadhalikka Neramillai", "Aadavarellam" from "Karuppu Panam" etc are typical Rock-n-Roll songs. Am just picking up songs as I casually recollect some numbers. But if one starts collecting and analyzing, any type of list will go end-less!

I cannot refrain myself from mentioning about another great example which showcases the World Music sense MSV had. Recently I watched an old English film called "Ben Hur" released in late 1950s; This is based on Roman empire. As one may know Romans had Arabic influences in their culture, as middle east was also under Roman's empire. The re-recordings of the movie will exhibit this clearly and it will be a mix of both European Orchestrations with Arabian Music; I was very much surprised with that, as MSV has done a very similar style of orchestration in "Sivantha Mann"; "Instrumental" track of "Sivantha Mann" present the "BGM" section of "MSVTimes.Com" is the track I'm talking about; "Sivantha Mann" will have "Bull-Fighting" sequence in Europe (during the instrumental music) where the European Orchestration just shake-hands and play with Arabian Music. Where did he get this idea from? Even if the director would have given a hint about this, how did he get to know the exact Music Style that was there in the 1st century during Roman's period? Where did he learn the European Orchestrations and how did he blend that with Arabian Music, so seamless? And a final question, why are the politicians in power alive without recognizing the Music master of the country ??? No one knows the answer for any of these questions!!!

Chord Progressions. This is a pure technical concept in Western Classical music. The application of this concept is abundant and great in Tamil Film music. Illayaraja has done this in songs like "Paadavanthathor Ragam, Paavai Kannilo Naanam", "Roja Poo Vaadi Vanthathu" in "Agni Natchathiram", "Varuthu Varuthu" in "Brahmma" etc; Quite good application of this concept; Examples from A.R.Rahman's songs would be "Yeh Thara Vo Thara" from Swadesh (Hindi), "Singa Nadai Pottu" from "Padayappa" etc; It may not be surprising, but its yet again a fact that MSV has already done this. Examples from MSV's numbers include the Prelude guitar piece of "Yaar Andha Nilavu", piano pieces in "Oh Little Flower" etc; How do we call this again? "Amazing"

Another interesting incident happenned to me recently. A few months back I had a very long chat with a MSV fan in America on a Saturday night. He is a manager in a leading software company. We talked nearly about 2.5 hours over the phone discussing many aspects of MSV's music. Each of us were throwing examples from MSVs music and we kept on doing that and discussing, non-stop. We were having a great time. We stopped our conversation around 11:45 PM as I was to go for a Movie with my friends. Another surprise awaited in that movie.

We went to the recent english film called "Snakes in the Plane". In the movie there will be a scene where a snake will suddenly come out in a flight and for that scene there will be a special "chord" given as the back-ground music. To my shock and surprise it was the same chord which MSV has used in "Nenjam Marappathillai" when Sridhar will show "100 year old Nambiar" suddenly in a scene. MSV has already used all these in 60s !!!! I was stunned. I'm on search for the "Snakes in the Plane" DVD to rip that chord to showcase this to the world through MSVTimes.Com! Truly amazing !!! This makes me think that I need to write another exclusive article with more insights on World Music infuence in MSV's music.

Another good example of Western Classicals is application of rare chords. Applying a minor scale chord to major notes is a brilliant imagination and our Indian composers have great examples to their credit. Harris Jeyaraj has done this in his "Kumari" song from "Anniyan" and even in his recent "Unnale Unnale"; There are good examples from Raja and Rahman songs. Now, MSV is again a fore-runner in this. "Oh Little Flower" has beautiful chords which follow an odd, minor note in a particular place, where it will have a major chord counter-part for the same "Santham", in the line before. "Sorgam Pakkathil" has again beautiful variations in chords; But in-general, in giving odd notes in a song seamlessly, that too in an unexpected sequence, MSV is the only master. The other composers have enjoyed this and admitted this fact about their Master (MSV), happily;

Another great contribution of MSV is that he took Indian Music to other countries; Example: His concert in Russia and his on-stage composition, along with the Master of Lyrics, Kannadasan, explained the relation between Russian folk and Indian folk. At this juncture we should also appreciate the great efforts of Illayaraja in conducting Symphony orchestra in London (please forget any controversies) and A.R.Rahman for composing London stage musical "Bombay Dreams"; Even if we have a different music taste we should definitely stand as people from a single nation and support the persons who represent our country in great forums of the world!

The contribution of MSV to the language Tamil is herculean. There is no composer who has done contribution and justice to the language, better than MSV, at all times. His taste for Lyrics -"Santha Chuvai" - is something to be adored. He does not just fit words into tunes. Nor does he try to form a pattern out of pre-written words. (There are some Rahman's songs where the Tamil pronounciation of the singers is bad. Though I listen to his songs too, I've mentioned this point in the Official Rahman fan club). MSV brings out the "Bhavam" or the "Expression" the song is trying to convey. MSV identifies that and gives life to the words. That is the reason the MSV-Kannadasan combo has always been deadly and the songs churned out by this combination will always be immortal.

Ragam. The concept itself in an ocean by itself. And its application to Tamil Film Music is another ocean. And MSV's contribution to this concept is the deepest ocean. Series of articles can be written on this Indian Classical concept. All the Tamil film composers have contributed their part to Ragas. But MSV did a total blast to the definition of "Raga" and he went far far beyond the "word" Ragas, for which one cannot provide any definition at all. G.Ramanathan's "Mullai Malar Mele" in "Dharbar Kaanada" started and showed a trend where a Ragam can be applied lightly. Coming to Illayaraja's period in 80's it was a trend where the songs will follow a single Raga with minor variations (Nothing wrong, thats Raja's style). He showed some rare Ragas like "Kusumadharini" in "Eeramana Rojave", "Kathyayini" in "Uzhaipali" etc; There have been many songs of Raja that revolved around standard Ragas like "Siva Ranjani", "Keeravani", "Hindolam", "Mayamala Gowla" etc; Coming to Rahman's period, amidst "Quality Shatterers" like "Manmadha Rasa" and "Oh Podu", which were declared as "Song Of The Year", to any music listener's pain, Rahman has been the only person to fight and inject classical music into the industry. There are statistics and examples. Applying "Siva Ranjani" to a "Rock" song in "Thiruda Thiruda", an excellent keyboard support for a "Kalyani" Keerthanai from "Andhimandharai" or using a near extinct Raga called "Karnataka Kaapi" (Aaroganam: "Karahara Priya"; Avaroganam: "Kaanada") for the Signature Tune for World Space radio and many more like this, Rahman showed his class, differentiating him clearly from the rest of his contemporary composers. Rahman has been a revival for Hindustani and Jazz music in Tamil Industry, putting an end to a big draught after MSV's period. (MSV and Rahman share certain strikingly surprising similar qualities/characteristics in Music, though they are completely different in the period and style of music, which I'll take-up in another article).

Now, after G.Ramanathan and S.M.Subbiah's times and before the period of Illayaraja, one man who elevated the Classical Music, Melody-based music and there by elevating Film Music was none other than the Legend M.S.Viswanathan. The beauty of his composing is he does not stick to or decide upon a particular Raga before composition. He gives life to the lyrics in songs (or) life to a scene in his re-recording by understanding the "expression" that the sequence is trying to convey. He makes "Music" for the "Mood", which is just the way "Saint Thiyagaraja" composed his Krithis. Music of both of these persons "Springs" out from "Nothing", based on the "Bhavam" they are trying to convey. One of the MSV fans even expressed that even "Saint Thiyagaraja" cannot come near MSV, when it comes to "Bhavam", for which I agree totally. (Many may not, but its totally fine, as its their right and taste). A wonderful club song "Neerada Neram Nalla Neram". It is based on "Puriya Dhanashri" (What an imagination and courage to bring this Ragam to a Club!) Another version of its Prelude will have "Amirtha Varshini" played initially after a while, he will touch the Ri1 and Da1 at which the Raga will turn into "Puriya Dhanashri". His creativity is endless. Another example that he composes songs for Bhavam is "Sindhu Nadhiyin Isai" is based on "Desh" by coincidence! "Amutha Thamizhin" from "Madhurai Meetta Sundara Pandiyan" is based on "Dwijavanthi", one of the rarest Ragas. The variations from Raga adds beauty to the song. My dad used to say that we need to name the Raga as "Viswa Mohanam", "Viswa Kalyani" etc. But am sure we will run out of words if we start to name like this. There are lots and lots to write about the applications of Ragas and that too by MSV. Am restricting myself within this paragraph.

Thaalam (Beat Patterns). MSV has produced many "off-the-rules" beats. "Ennanga.... Sollunga" from "Enga Mama" has "Thisram" when the song starts (beats in the pattern of three's) in the first four lines. The fifth line will easily go to "Chathusram" (beats in the pattern of four's) and again come to "Thisram" without much efforts. A similar variation in Thaalam can be found in the title music of "Savaale Samali"; MSV sings this track and again the variation between Thisram-Chathusram is an easy go. "Velli Kinnam Thaan" is another example of this kind. If we start collecting the beat variations in classical drums, one will be completely filled in excitement and go crazy. The list may even give a wrong impression that MSV has used only Drums, because the list would be unbelievably huge. The Interlude in "Manaattam Nalla Mayilaattam" will have Tabla bit, stepped a beat away (a "Maathirai" away), deliberately. Any listener will definitely not understand what MSV would have done on hearing for the first time. (This pattern is adopted by Illayaraja in the song "Oru Naalum" from "Yejaman"). There are umpteen number of unconventional beat patterns by MSV. Tabla in "Nizhal Nijamagirathu" title, "Kavithayil Yezhuthiya" from "Kaviya Thalaivi", Mridangam in "Paaduvor Paadinaal", "Pongum Kadalosai", rhythms in "Avalukkenna Azhagiya Mugam", "Siva Sambo" etc are heights of MSV's sense of rhythm.

MSV's contribution to Hindustani Music, Carnatic Music, Raagas, Orchestrations, Varities in each music, his creativity, imagination and spontaniety - each of these topics would require an article of its own and we will still have so much left without analysis. What I've given above is just some handful examples from Oceanic creations of MSV. Am unable to complete this article as thoughts on MSV's creations keep pouring in.

Just three words to conclude : "Melody's Synonym Viswanathan"

More to come...

Last edited by Ram on Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Venugopalan Soundararajan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: MELODY'S SYNONYM VISWANATHAN Reply with quote

Dear Ram,

Hats off for the elaborate analysis. I am amazed at it, considering your age. Since the article is quite big, I couldn’t go thro it in minute detail, but glanced thro it. I am giving below my observations. This is purely written from the angle of a genuine, quality & neutral music lover:

1. MSV is the one who shifted Cine Music from totally Carnatic based to Light Music – to reach the common man. Even a old person like me who is 57years old, cannot enjoy the MKT & PUC numbers either in my younger days or now. Why? The Melody, the “Mellisai” and the beautiful usage of so many instruments, were totally missing.

2. Frankly tell me, where you able to enjoy the songs sung by C.S. Jayaraman? But, every one enjoyed the song “Vinnodum Mugilodum” from “Pudhayal”, sung by CSJ with PS. Why? Not due to his voice, but the magical melody implied by MSV in that song.

3. It is not the Raagas which are very important. A common man does not know anything on the raga. Why, even a person like me has only little knowledge on the Raagas. It is the “Mettu” & the “Melody”, with right usage of various instruments in the correct mixture, that are most important. MSV did all this to perfection and that’s the reason his compositions are “immortal” even after 40 to 50 years of their birth.

4. This is not to degrade or hurt anybody. I am writing this as a neutral music lover. I too had enjoyed Ilayraja’s music and still appreciate some of his wonderful compositions. But more than 50% of the numbers tuned by him, which were big hits around the time the respective films were released, are sounding quite “ordinary” when you hear them now. To put it in another way, one song has a resemblance of half a dozen other songs of his. This never was the case with MSV. And that’s the reason, as I have mentioned above, his songs composed 40 to 50 years ago are still immortal and are being heard again and again and again.

5. Please listen to MSV’s instrumental album “Navarasak Kolam” , done without any advanced technological support, about 36 years ago. You will be simply astonished and amazed. You will find in it all forms & styles of music (A to Z of musical nuances), which I can challenge no other composer can do. Unfortunately, he didn’t have the hype & support of any one in the industry in those days. Even MGR & Sivaji, whose films’ lifeline was MSV’s great music, never appreciated or supported the Legend the way they ought to have done. The common man fully enjoyed his music. But still branded it as “MGR Hits” & “Sivaji Hits” (this was the case in respect of songs from their movies in which the great heroes did not feature). Musical work, which are hardly 25% skillful as compared to MSV’s “Navarasak Kolma”, are branded as great symphonies today. What a pity?

I have openly spoken my mind and I would request you to please post the same without any editing.

With Luv,

Venu Soundar
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Giant Writer VS Giant Rasigar Reply with quote

Dear Ram & Venu,

I really do not know how to draw a differentiation between you two. On one hand I am amazed at Ram's indepth analysis & writing considering the age group he belong to ( I include Venky also here who was till recently listening to other's music also, but even since he met me, I believe his computer is loaded only with our Master's music- I am glad that I converted someone in to a hardcore MSV man) and on the other hand I am delighted to know that Venu & me are sailing in the same boat- a boat that has two MSV extremists. Venu, you have absolutely hit the nail on the head- I repeat my observation about MSV as follows

Those who listen to MSV's music, can never listen to others and it's greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeat feeling to be an MSV addict!

Today, am in a siatuation wherein I just can't listen to others (even if they are good which is very seldom) but the varaiety of orchestration MSV has given us till now will continue to live for another 100 years. MORTAL MEN, IMMORTAL MUSIC and time to add one more - IMMORTAL RASIKAS OF MSV!!! and we all take great pride in that, don't we Ram, Venky, & Venu???

LONG LIVE MSV!

REGARDS
VAIDY
Ram

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Venu Ji,

You are absolutely right in all your analysis and points. The answer for all your points is (am quoting from my own article) "MSV Creates Music for Mood"; It is the ability of MSV to create Melody from "ANY" form of music is his direct gift from "Nature"; "ANY" form of music includes all the technical varieties that I have mentioned viz, Ragas, Western Classical, European Orchestration, Jazz etc.

Though Music listening does not require knowledge, I still wanted to highlight what MSV has done to classical music forms, coz it deserves that much analysis, from technical perspective too!

Dear Vaidy Uncle,

Abzolutely right. We all take a great pride in being "IMMORTAL" rasikas of the "IMMORTAL" music by the Great MSV.
tvvraghavan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: My VOW !!! Reply with quote

===============================================

vaidymsv wrote :

I include Venky also here who was till recently listening to other's music also, but even since he met me, I believe his computer is loaded only with our Master's music- I am glad that I converted someone in to a hardcore MSV man
===============================================
Hello Vaidhy Uncle,
You are absolutely right . I deleted all the other songs from my laptop on the day I met you and now I have only our Master's songs Surprised.

I still like other's creations and appreciate them. The vow I have taken to myself is that I would start listening to others' creations only after I make a collection and listen to all of our Master's creations.

Music Directors may come and may go, they may even score good music. But , there is so much that our Master has created which are still unknown and unheard that I would want to listen and enjoy before I would restart listening to others' works.

Venky
Member - Core Team
MSVTIMES.COM
Ramesh.P

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please listen to MSV’s instrumental album “Navarasak Kolam” , done without any advanced technological support, about 36 years ago. You will be simply astonished and amazed. You will find in it all forms & styles of music (A to Z of musical nuances),

Dear venu
It is possible to upload this rare musical score for the benefit of MSV fans.

I would like to point out that KRISHNA KANAM sold more numbers during that time without much publicity and it reached everyone by the sheer MUSICAL POWER OF OUR GREAT MSV.

regards
ramesh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Navarasak Kolam. Reply with quote

Dear Ram / Vaidy,

You may kindly look into Mr Ramesh's request of uploading the great instrumental work of the Legend, "Navarasak Kolam", on the site. MSV Fans would be simply thrilled if this can be done.

Also, try to upload more of the Master's Title Music, especially from the movies that I have listed out earlier.

With Luv,
Venu Soundar
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: listener's choice! Reply with quote

Hey Ram,

Read Venu's post??? Listener's choice for Navara Kolam- pse do the needful asap.

cheers
vaidy
Ram

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Venu Ji / Vaidy Uncle,

Am planning and re-designing the Song and BGM section in a totally different form. It will be with more features and interactions. But it may take a while to get completed. Wait for the announcement, with surprises !!! Smile

Meanwhile and for the time being, I'll upload the "Navarasa Kolam" soon in the BGM section, to honour the "Neyar Viruppam" !!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Neyar Viruppam! Reply with quote

Dear Ram,

That's really great to know. Keenly looking forward to the modifications and also the uploading of "Navarasak Kolam" as well as many more Title Music. On behalf of all MSV Fans, let me compliment and thank you for the wonderful job. Please keep up the good work.

With Luv,
Venu Soundar
Vatsan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: MSV Reply with quote

Ram, you quoted 'kaNNum kaNNUm koLLai adithhAl' as a Rock Sivaranjani which is right. Pretty innovative of ARR. But lets where "it" all came from.....

ARR changed the tune of "uthharavindri uLLE vA" in New . Which means he has heard the original (composed by MSV). which is actually a Rock Sivaranjani, not to forget enna vEgam nillu bhama, another Rock Sivaranjani. poova thalaiya pOttA theriyum is yet another Sivaranjani, Sivaranjani wouldnt be able recognize itself in the dexterous hands of MSV !!!

There are hundreds of unheard of combinations of notes woven together to create melodies by MSV that will make today's melodies malicious maladies. A true instrument of the divine source who in all his innocence allows a greater power to work through him whereas other composers are busy sifting through musical books looking for some musical concept to base their next song on.
Vatsan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Santhams Reply with quote

Kannadasan's santhams are toyed with by MSV. Listen to pAlirukkum pazham irukkum .....a simple santha kavithai by kaviarasar with an average of 3 words per line. Any other composer would have gone by the inherent bounce within the santham of the lyric and created a tune, but so can I. But MSV here, obliterates the santham by a piece of humming for the comma after pAlirukkum.....His tune creates an illusory effect, such an illusory effect that you feel the santham created by kannadasan is actually lengthy, which it is not. There are hundreds of examples of MSV superimposing his melody meter over Kannadasan's.
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Great Vasan Reply with quote

Dear Vasan,

To put in a nut shell, it has always been Melody with MSV and Malady with the rest and YOU SAID IT!. Fabulous posting. MSV is probably the only creator who even gave a new dimension to punctuations in a song - like Paalirukkum...hmmmm(which is a cama) Pzhamirukkum...hmmmm WOW!!! What a way to tune a song!!!
Cheers
Vaidy
Ram

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: MSV Reply with quote

Vatsan wrote:
Ram, you quoted 'kaNNum kaNNUm koLLai adithhAl' as a Rock Sivaranjani which is right. Pretty innovative of ARR. But lets where "it" all came from.....

ARR changed the tune of "uthharavindri uLLE vA" in New . Which means he has heard the original (composed by MSV). which is actually a Rock Sivaranjani, not to forget enna vEgam nillu bhama, another Rock Sivaranjani. poova thalaiya pOttA theriyum is yet another Sivaranjani, Sivaranjani wouldnt be able recognize itself in the dexterous hands of MSV !!!

I feel Rahman carries forward some of the legacies of MSV and this Rock Sivaranjani is one such.

Never Rahman (and almost all the Tamil Film composers) denied the the statement "Melody's Synonym Viswanathan"

"There is no Tamil Film Composer without MSV's influence" - A.R.Rahman at his Singapore concert.
Ram

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of other examples of MSV using Classical and Western together:

* Hello My Dear Wrong Number - Dharmavathi
* Aattamenna Solladi - Karaharapriya
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: