"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Songs of MSV (General Postings and Discussions)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ram

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Songs of MSV (General Postings and Discussions) Reply with quote

Analysis and experience of songs composed by MSV!

Last edited by Ram on Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Rajasabai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Songs of MSV Reply with quote

ram wrote:
Analysis and experience of songs composed by MSV!

Have you heard the great " Sontham Eppothum Thodar kadhaithan " . There are two versions of the song . Now one version is only available in the cassette collections . The other version ( with drums playing in the background ) is an excellent work of MSV. If the song is made as a ringtone , it will be an instant hit.
Ramesh.P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VELLI MANI OOSAYILE-IRU MALARGAL

I like shenoy interlude of this song. we always assume shenoy will be used for SOGAM but MSV used this instrument for so many duets.

example : Prelude of AAGAYA PANDHALILAE/Interlude in THANGA PADAKATHIN MELLAE. can anyone add more numbers.

ramesh.
satheesh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is one Shenai piece that can touch everyone's heart, it is the piece in BGM for the song "Aalaya maniyin osaiyai naan kaetten" from "Paalum Pazhamum". I believe it was one piece that was appreciated by the great Shenai maestro Ustad Bismillah Khan.

Ramesh, this can be the best example for a great Shenai piece. Probably some more people can provide their inputs.

Shenai is one instrument that people assume it is for pathos. But it is definitely not so.
Ramesh.P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

VAARATHEERUPARU VANAMALAR KANNAN AVAN great song from PACHAI VILLAKU.

I heard that MSV used shenoy for duet first time in this song(courtesy doordarshan prog).

regards
ramesh
satheesh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great Shenai piece is in the BGM for "Maalai pozhudhin mayakkathile". Brilliantly tuned in Chandrakauns (Correct me if I am wrong), the Shenai piece churns out emotions from the depth of the heart.
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: My Shehnai Man Msv! Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just listen to Ooorengum Maapillai Orrvalam and the Shehnai prelude!
vaidy
satheesh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSV has simply exploited every possible instrument that he came across. Not only instruments but also voices.

For the BGM of the song "Unnai naan santhithen.." in "Aayirathil Oruvan", he has used the harmony so beautifully. One fine morning, when I was driving to office, I happened to listen to this song. And then I realised that I had played it repeatedly for more than 10 times back to back. The Harmony section was so stunning and it literally churns out the emotion of the song, which was set to tune in the raga Panthuvarali (Correct me if I am wrong).

And so many songs that has great Harmony sections. Another great example is my favourite "Pudhiya Paravai". In the song "Enge nimmadhi", harmony has been used with brilliance. A true symphony indeed.

More light on Harmony section please!!!!
sankaran.lic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSV IS A LEGEND.CRITIC MR. SUBBUDU ONCE SAID THAT AFTER MSV CINEMUSIC THE FILM MUSIC IS DEAD.TRULY SAID.MSV AND KANNADASAN ARE MADE FOR EACH OTHER.BOTH UPGRADED EACH OTHER.KANNADASAN'S LYRICS ARE UNIQUE AS MOST HAVE SANTHAM ALREADY.MSV'S JOB IS TO FIND THE SANTHAM.THE LEGEND DOES THE JOB WELL.THE EXAMPLE IS THANGACHI CHINNA PONNU FROM KARRUPPU PANAM.HE HAS USED PIANO IN MANY SONGS.EXAMPLE PATTONDRU KETTEN PARAVASAMANEN AND PADUVOUR PADINAL AADA THONDRUM(PASAMALAR AND KANNAN EN KADHALAN) THE BEST CINE MUSIC PERIOD IS 1955 TO1970. YOU CAN ADD GRACE PERIOD ANOTHER 5 YEARS.AS CHO SAID THERE IS NO PARRALEL FOR MSV.THE BEST HONOUR TO MSV IS NOT TO COMPARE HIM WITH ANY MUSIC DIRECTER.SO ALSO IN THE MATTER OF KANNADASAN.BOTH ARE BEST THE CINE FIELD HAS EVER SEEN.MY EMAIL sankaran.lic@gmail.com
satheesh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before we shift off the track, let me bring to you all the songs of the movie "Kadhalikka neramillai". Another unparalled set of compositions that created huge waves among the audiences. The movie saw the debut of Ravichandran and Kanchana. And every single song would be appealing for the generations to come.

The song "Enna Paarvai" gave a huge recognition to KJ Yesudas... and this somewhat turned out to be the big first number for him. And what a song was "Viswanathan velai venum". MSV simply got the audience rocking to the Boogie-woogie style that was contemporary those days. And how can one forget "Indha ponnaana kaigal punnagalamaa.."!!!

Though the pallavi of the song "Anubavan pudhumai" was heavily inspired by "Besame Mucho' composed by Mexican composer, Consuelo Velazaquez, the orchestration for the BGMs and the charanam was simply no match. And what to say about "Naalaam naalaam thirunaalaam", 'Kaadhalikka neramillai"!!! And again a huge Rock'n'roll in "Malarendra mugamondru..."!!!

What to say!!! MSV is MSV!! No match for him!!!
a k vijayakumar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSV KANNADASAN SOUNDARARAJAN SUSEELS PBS AND JANAKI
ANTHA KALAM EPPOTHUM THIRUMBI VARATHU
satheesh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct, Vijayakumar!!

The combination of the stalwarts of that era can never get repeated!! It is history!!

There had been a lot of combinations and I am sure we must include the acting legends like Sivaji, MGR, Gemini Ganesan, Saroja Devi, Padmini, Savithri etc.
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Wow Satheesh! Reply with quote

Truely Satheesh, your words are perfectly right. MSV is probably the greatest musicl phenomenon to hit India. I want to see you writing more & more of this genius please
satheesh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Vaidy!!! And the week had been hectic for now!! So cudnt really write up something!!

MSV's style of composing can be adapted to any style of music. The same piece sounds in different styles when different instruments are used. A good example that occurs to me immediately is the song "Veedu varai uravu".

First, what a song it is!!! And what a flow of emotions the song has!!! How did a person hit upon such a tune?? And how was Kannadasan able to get the lyrics that speaks of philosophy of life in volumes??

Looking into the first BGM, the saxaphone piece is a typical jazz. And what a transition to the charanam "Aadum varai aattam..."!!! Simply stunning!! And the very same piece is rendered by LR Eswari as "Lulullaayeee aareeroo....." with a minor variant towards the end. And this sounds a typical south indian folk. Where is Jazz and where is our folk?? And how can MSV make the same tune sound in two flavours??

Only MSV has the clue, how he can make it happen!!!
viswapriyan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satheesh, I think "unnai naan sandhiththen.." is subapanthuvarali and "malai pozhudhin mayakkathile.." is a mixture of chandrakauns and malkauns(hindolam).

Talking about shenai piece in the interlude the ovelapping of shenai in "thanga radham vandhadhu... (kalaikovil)" is unmatchable masterpiece.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 1 of 25

Jump to: