"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Singers--SPB Some Change

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Singers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhuraman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Singers--SPB Some Change Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
After a long time, there was some true relief to MSV rasikas last night. [I refer to SPB's Ennodu Pattu Padungal on Jaya TV on20-10-07 8.00 to 9.00 pm] There were liberal references to MSV. In the folk song section, one Mr.Hari chose to sing MSV's number in SANGAMAM for ARR.It was a very good effort by the competitor. SPB went on at some length to explain how that song was a personal effort of MSV though ARR just prescribed the broad frame work. SPB said MSV would always set changes until the very last fraction of a second, in a process of constant improvement and his brigas are highly complex -not easy to reproduce. When the final song came about, how like a child, MSV liberally appreciated the work of ARR.SPB said MSV is a plain person and child like. The very next number was a composition by MSV himself rendered by a girl- competitor. It was MUTHUKKULIKKA VAREE YA LA by TMS, LRE. SPB referred to this as the song from the Mahaan MSV. After the song, SPB recalled that, as a boy he had wondered the song for its different style of composition and politely told the singer that the finishing tempo can not be rendered by new singers. On the whole it was a healthy change. BUT WHAT I AM TO SAY FURTHER IS A MATTER OF SERIOUS SIGNIFICANCE. MR.HARI [SANGAMAM SONG] WHOM I HAVE WATCHED IN MORE THAN 2 EPISODES IS A PROMISE FOR US. I AM GLAD TO STATE THAT HE CHOSE MANY ITEMS FROM MSV FOR THE COMPETITION. SUCH YOUNGSTERS WE NEED IN OUR FORUM, SO THAT THE MSV FIRE IS KEPT ALIVE AND SPREADING. That the younger generation is willing to appreciate MSV as a composer, needs furtherance to retrieve the glorious image of TFM by propagating the true grandeur of yester decades among the current generation youth.It looks appropriate to identify such youngsters who would prove an asset for posterity without launching a conflict of emotions. I am happy to post this on this VIJAYA DHASAMI DAY that marks the beginning of new efforts.
warm regards Prof.K.Raman Navi Mumbai
msvramki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Professor.

It is a very good update on SPB's bottom-of-heart comments on MSV's creation. Though I was feeling for sometime that he was not mentioning about MSV in this episode to the extent he SHOULD , your message is definitely consoling.

Your suggestion to bring in youngsters like Hari to be part of our Forum is excellent but the questions is : How are we going to achieve this ?

One of our Forum members should take this responsibility to look for this sort of promising youngsters to get roped into our Forum for participation. It is going to be a continuous effort, could be pain-taking,
but if done, it will be wonderful !

Regards
Ramki

madhuraman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Singers--SPB Some Change Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Ramki,
Thank you for the response that is wholesome covering all the items referred to in my write-up. Certainly, to rope in youngsters to this forum would be a task -worthwhile but formidable too. The best part of your response is that the process should be continuous. The proper approach should be to use youngsters from our fold as interface to convince such youngsters of the noble mission that the MSVians are in.For the immediate requirement, some liason to SPB or the TV channel may help.Certainly the effort must begin in right earnest. I am confident that such youngsters would comeforth with the right perception.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Navi Mumbai
vishwas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: MEllisai MaMannar Reply with quote

I have seen SPB eulogising MM quite often in his interviews as well as Stage shows referring to the later as Mellisai MAMANNAR. He has even said his most favorite MD is MSV only many a time

regards
-Vishwas
Ram

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the greatest singers India has ever produced, Dr.SPB, has the highest regard for Mellisai Mannar. He has mentioned MSV's name at the right occasions on umpteen number of instances.

During the release of "Sangeetham Santhosham" - a Ghazal album by MSV, he was so furious that MSV has not received a National Award. He urged the audience to start a signatory campaign to get the National Honor for MSV.

In yet another function, when he was receiving an award, he raised the Award to the audience and mentioned "I dedicate this award to my APPA", referring to MSV, who was sitting on the front row!!!

SPB's unbelievable achievement record of more than 35000 songs covers his association with a wide range of Music Composers from hailing from various Indian languages, spread over multiple decades. And hence his reference to various other composers is definitely understandable. Yet, he is one of the most sincere singers for MSV !!!
saradhaa_sn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

டியர் ராம்,

நீங்கள் குறிப்பிட்ட இரண்டு தருணங்களிலும் மெல்லிசை மன்னர் அவ்விடத்தில் இருந்திருக்கிறார். மற்றபடி அவர் இல்லாத நிகழ்ச்சிகளில் 'ஒருசில' இசையமைப்பாளர்களை வானளாவ புகழும் அளவுக்கு அவர் மெல்லிசை மன்னரைப் பற்றி சிறிய அளவில் கூட குறிப்பிடுவதில்லை என்பது, நான் சில நிகழ்ச்சிகளை நேரிலும் பல நிகழ்ச்சிகளை தொலைக்காட்சிகளிலும் பார்த்தபோது அறிந்த உணமை.

அவருக்குப் பிடித்த இசையமைப்பாளர்களை, பாடலாசிரியர்களை புகழ்ந்து கொள்ள முற்றிலும் அவருக்கு உரிமை உண்டு. அதை யாரும் குறை சொல்லவோ தடுக்கவோ முடியாது. அதே நேரம், தனக்குப் பிடித்தவர்களை உயர்த்திப்பேசுவதற்காக தவறான தகவல்களை மக்களுக்கு தரக்கூடாது.

"இவனை மாதிரி வெஸ்டர்ன் இன்ஸ்ட்ருமெண்ட்ஸை தமிழ்ப்பாடல்களில் பயன்படுத்தியவர்கள் யாரும் கிடையாது. தமிழ்ப்பாடல்களில் மேற்கத்திய இன்ஸ்ட்ருமெண்ட்ஸை புகுத்தியதே இவன் தான்" என்பதெல்லாம், தவறான தகவல்களை மக்களுக்குத் தருவதுடன், உண்மையிலேயே அந்த சாதனைகளை செய்தவரை இருட்டடிப்பு செய்வதுதானே. (இது போன்ற அவரது பிதற்றல்களை நானே பலமுறை தொலைக்காட்சியில் பார்த்திருக்கிறேன்).

இன்னொரு உண்மை என்னவென்றால், இந்த புறக்கணிப்பு விஷயத்தில் எஸ்.பி.பி.மட்டுமல்ல, எல்லா பாடகர்களும் ஒரே மாதிரிதான்.
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: BRAVO SHARADHA!!! Reply with quote

Dear Sharadha,

Thanks a million for spearheading the movement to keep the glory of MSV aloft!!!. What you have said is an unadultrated truth and I myself have seen SPB on many occassions being very liberal when it came to praising IR or ARR and he had even uttered once that we have been gifted( Shocked ) to be around with a composer of their excellence Crying or Very sad

Sharadha, you are dead right and there could be no two opinions about your inference and I am with you to go to any extent to make things right. Most of the so called MD's and singers of (sadly SPB fell into this circle knowing pretty well the awesome work done by Our Musical Wonder MSV) the present generation neither know nor have bothered to update themselves of what kind of work our Legend has been doing for the past 5 decades. We have also seen and we still continue to see many many shows on TV and especially the Sirappu Then Kinnam on Jaya TV that is telecast on Mondays in which most of the participants virtually boycott MSV (God only knows whom they want to please by doing so). It is really atrocious on the part of these so called men & women who throw a heap of praise on someone for a lesser known work (or shall we say trivial????) as if they have conquered Mount Everest in music (they have probably not even reached the foot hills and sadly this will ever remain the fact) so that their immediate opportunity to sing for that MD doesn't get jeopardised in any way. What a world we are living in??? Sad

OUR DEAREST MSV, THERE'S NOTHING IN THIS WORLD THAT COULD STOP YOU AND YOUR QUALITY OF MUSIC AS LONG AS WE ARE HERE TO LISTEN TO. TO US YOU ARE THE MUSIC AND MUSIC IS YOU. GO AHEAD AND LET'S HEAR YOU FOR THE REST OF OUR LIVES!!!

CHEERS
MSV IS MUSIC
VAIDY

madhuraman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Singers--SPB Some Change Reply with quote

Dear Saradha mam and Mr.Vaidy
Thank you for lending greater credence to my observations on the topic. If some one feels any reference to MSV might jeopardise the "prospect" of work with some MD, they better meet the person and prostrate before that individual. But to use every available occasion to sing the glories [non-existent] of persons to win their favour is sycophancy at its worst. As Saradha mam has clearly pointed out, every one has freedom to appreciate any one of his/her choice.In fact it is a form of decency too. But to "avail of " opportunities to mislead the younger generation that only on X's arrival, TFM witnessed the application of western instruments is both false and mischievous. As early as 1957-58 [Pathi Bhakthi] MSV has "played" with western instruments and has effectively worked out FUSION in that song "Adinaar Angay" with Sundaram and Chandrababu in Carnatic and Rock'n' Roll style. [The great G.Ramanathan has also done western pieces in his days] Herafter, let it be clear that any style of composition however new it may appear to be, has already been done by the elder generation. [I have already posted that Shri .S.M Subbiah Naidu, INDEPENDENTLY RECORDED S.JANAKI'S voice and KARUKRICHI ARUNACHALAM'S Nadhaswaram for Singaravelanae Devaa [Konjum Salangai-1959-60] and later precisely overlapped them THOUGH THERE WAS NO TRACK RECORDING those days. How precise in notations the MD should have been and how meticulous the sound engineers /recordists should have been?] Can any of the current MDs STAND THE CRUELTY OF 52 REPEATS [ALL FROM THE START] TO MAKE A SONG -as had to be done for Varai en thozhi of Paasa malar in that complex song with claps, lauhter , singing of lyric , spoken voices of actors, chanting of Mantras and above all the highly varying orchestration ] It is too easy to tell lies but truth can not be eradicated. Sycophants may not realise this but truth will emerge like a cloud in full public view when the atmosphere slightly open up.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Navi Mumbai.
Damodaran Pachaiappan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hats off to Saradha m'am for expressing what was in my mind. I could not agree more with her. I also entirely agree with the view of Vaidy sir and Prof Raman. SPB is a great singer and I am not contesting that. But he was not great to start with. He may have his own reasons to flatter other MDs. But then in my humble opinion he matured as a singer only in the very late seventies when IR was on the scene and moreover his voice suited actors like Kamal and Rajini like a glove. And he had opportunities galore. But the same could not be said during the era of Nadigar Thilagam and MGR. When an alternative voice was needed, we had the inimitable PB Srinivas ( a great achiever in his own right) to provide it. In the early songs it was obvious that he could not match the vocal nuances of PSuseela with whom he might have been paired with.
When SPB and Malaysia Vasudevan started singing for Nadigar Thilagam, I vividly remember the critique that I read in Ananda Vikatan - "It is like fitting a bajaj scooter engine to a double decker bus"!
I am not taking anything away from SPB, he is a great singer and I enjoy listening to him. But one should not forget that despite the presence of other majestic and accomplished singers, MSV continued to give chances to SPB which ensured that he was not wiped off the scene and that he was still in the game when the tide turned. I will never subscribe to his view , that western instruments were not used by Mellisai Mamannar( which is the indirect inference ). The only thing that MSV did not do was to rely heavily on synthesizers and computer programmes for musical loops. Many of the present film songs remind me of the jingles that my hospital radio DJ comes up with.
My intention is not hurt anybody's feelings but if I have, I apologise.
Regards,
Daran Pachaiappan
vishwas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"இவனை மாதிரி வெஸ்டர்ன் இன்ஸ்ட்ருமெண்ட்ஸை தமிழ்ப்பாடல்களில் பயன்படுத்தியவர்கள் யாரும் கிடையாது. தமிழ்ப்பாடல்களில் மேற்கத்திய இன்ஸ்ட்ருமெண்ட்ஸை புகுத்தியதே இவன் தான்"
I agree with Saradaa Mam that SPB nowadays talks more about IR and is happily oblivious to facts. Perhaps he is under psychological pressure as IR has given him more songs than anybody else. I still vouch for my statement till sometime back this is not the way SPB used to talk.

In a different context, Kamal who is another great fan of IR had this to say about "Apoorva sahodharargal" compositions. When he was not satisfied with Raja's "sober' tunes for a peppy situation in the movie, he sighted the song "Naan paarthathile Aval oruthiyai than" and said he wanted something like this. Then came "pudhu maapilaiku nalla yogamada"- IR commenting he HAS USED THE SAME METER AS THE ORIGINAL SONG.

Still I leave it to the readers which song invigorates the audience more.

Poor SPB and Kamal are, I believe, under psychlogical pressure to 'sing IR tunes' for reasons best known to themselves

regards
-Vishwas
madhuraman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Singers--SPB Some Change Reply with quote

Dear Mr Vishwas,
It seldom matters as to who gave more songs to a singer, when the basic question LOOMS LARGE and LIFE-LONG as to who opened the chapter in your TF Career and nurtured you for the first 20 years of your life as a singer. Also it defies logic as to how can anyone try to sideline the merits of someone on the sheer premise of X or Y not being of "Use"to-day. Can we stretch the logic to discard our parents as they have declined from the leadership roles in the family? All the same it is vital to point out that we do not want anyone to sing the glories of Mellisai Mannar, while appaealing to every one 'PLEASE DO NOT ROB THIS GIANT OF HIS GLORIES BY ASCRIBING HIS ACHIEVEMENTS TO ANYONE ELSE, HOWEVER LUCRATIVE OR REWARDING THE EXERCISE WOULD BE, AS IT AMOUNTS TO WILFUL SINNING. All those who resent such attitudes do not stand to get anything; yet they desire that the truth shall not be distorted.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Navi Mumbai.
saradhaa_sn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

எஸ்.பி.பிக்கு யார் அதிக பாடல் கொடுத்தார்கள் என்பது இங்கே முக்கியமில்லை. முதலில் தமிழ்த்திரையில் யாரால் அவர் வளர்ந்தார் என்பதுதான் முக்கியம். சரி அப்படியே இருந்தாலும் 'எனக்கு இவர்தான் அதிகம் பாடல்களை கொடுத்தார்' என்று சொல்லி விட்டுப்போகட்டுமே. அதை விட்டு (எந்த விஞ்ஞான உத்திகளும் இல்லாத காலத்தில்) ஒருவர் தன் திறமையைப் பயன்படுத்தி உருவாக்கியவைகளை இன்னொருவர் கணக்கில் வரவு வைக்க வேண்டுமா?. இதைக் கானும் இன்றைய இளம் தலைமுறையின்ர் என்ன நினைப்பார்கள்? 'எஸ்.பி.பி.யே சொல்லிட்டார். அப்போ அதுதான் உண்மையாக இருக்கும்' என்ற தவறான முடிவுக்கு வர இவரது பிதற்றல்கள் காரணமாக அமையுமல்லவா?.

இவர் தமிழில் அறிமுகமானது 1969ல். "இன்னொருவர்" அறிமுகம் ஆனதோ 1976ல். அதாவது அவர் வருவதற்கு ஏழாண்டுகளுக்கு முன்பே, இவர் வளர்ந்து உச்ச நிலைக்குப் போய் விட்டார். நன்றாக வளர்ந்து நின்ற இவரை "இன்னொருவர்" சாதுரியமாக பயன்படுத்திக்கொண்டார். அதுதான் உண்மை. அதற்காக தன்னை வளர்த்துவிட்டவரின் சாதனைகளை இவர் திரையிட்டு மறைக்க வேண்டுமா?.

இவர் எல்லாம் பேசித்தான் எங்கள் மெல்லிசை மன்னரின் பெருமையை உலகம் அறிய வேண்டுமென்பதில்லை. ஆனால் தவறான விஷயங்களைத் தந்து இளம் தலைமுறையினரின் கவனத்தை திசை திருப்ப வேண்டாம்.

தன்னுடைய "உயிர் நண்பனை" தூக்கிப்பிடிக்க வேறு எத்தனையோ வழிகள் இருக்கின்றன. அதை அவர் கையாளட்டும்.

Last edited by saradhaa_sn on Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
vishwas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It seldom matters as to who gave more songs to a singer, when the basic question LOOMS LARGE and LIFE-LONG as to who opened the chapter in your TF Career and nurtured you for the first 20 years of your life as a singer.

எஸ்.பி.பிக்கு யார் அதிக பாடல் கொடுத்தார்கள் என்பது இங்கே முக்கியமில்லை. முதலில் தமிழ்த்திரையில் யாரால் அவர் வளர்ந்தார் என்பதுதான் முக்கியம். 'எஸ்.பி.பி.யே சொல்லிட்டார். அப்போ அதுதான் உண்மையாக இருக்கும்' என்ற தவறான முடிவுக்கு வர இவரது பிதற்றல்கள் காரணமாக அமையுமல்லவா?.

Absolutely true; especially because the younger generation is more familiar with SPB's voice than with MSV's compositions; in fact they many a time ascribe MSV's compositions that came during late 70's to IR out of ignorance

The best way would be for our Forum to convey our hurt feelings to SPB suitably or make him wake up to realities unless he pretends to be in a slumber

regards
-Vishwas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Singers All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: