"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thirai Isai Vithaga Chithar MSV - By 'Mandhaiveli' Jayaraman

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ram

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Thirai Isai Vithaga Chithar MSV - By 'Mandhaiveli' Jayaraman Reply with quote

THIRAI ISAI VITHAKA CHITHAR - THE INIMITABLE THREE LETTERS MANTHRA – MSV
By 'Mandhaiveli' Jayaraman

It was during - when I was studying at Ooty, with ears attuned more to the mellifluous Hindi film tunes belted out by incomparably great composers that I feel a prey to the honey soaked tunes of MSV. From then on to this day, I continue to remain his ardent admirer. MSV’s was a transition from the music of composers such as G.Ramanathan and S.V.Venkataraman tuned purely on Carnatic Music to the raga based light compositions. The “P” series movies with the combination of Bhim Singh, Kavignar Kannadasan and MSV ruled out immortal melodies, started catching the imagination of not only by laymen but even connoisseurs for whom listening to film songs is below their dignity. Despite his great contributions to the film music at the peak of his glory he remained an absolutely humble person. He reached this peak by dint of his hard work; when I say hard work I don’t say it for formality sake. As one who attended some of his composing sessions and numerous recording sessions. I can say this with all the emphasis at my command. Today’s composers work with computers but MSV worked with computerised mind. Hence his tunes are still fresh, fragrant and ethereal even after two decades. The way he extracted work from great musicians like T.N.Mani, Henry Daniel, M.S.Raju, Joseph Krishna, Noel Grant, Shyam, Nanjundaiah. etc., is amazing. If one were to write the history of Indian Film Music MSV’s name will surely find a prominent place, particularly considering the fact that he was able to withstand the excellence of composers like Naushad, Shankar Jaikishan, Madan Mohan, S.D.Burman, and Saul Choudhry. Fortunately in the present composers such stalwarts are not there now. (MSV is no longer active in the film world) of course it is another matter that no composer held the for so long like him. But his music will continue to remain in the hearts of music loving people. Long live MSV!

MSV - The three letter magic word found its place in my heart at a very early stage during my schooling at Ooty. At that time, we used to listen to Hindi music tuned by Stalwarts like Sri.Naushad, Sri.Shankar Jaikishan, Sri.R.D..Burman, Sri.O.P.Nayyar, etc., songs sung by greats like Miss. Latha Mangeshkar, Smt. Asha Bonsle, Mohd. Rafi, Kishore Kumar, etc., They were played in Binaca Geeth Mala compered by Amin Sayani. At that time rose a sparkling star called “Viswanathan Ramamurthi in Tamil Cinema. Suddenly all our ears turned to the soulful mellifluous music of MSV usually played in Radio. Ceylon compered by Mayil Vahanan. Films of Bhim Sing, Sridhar, Ramanna, were rage of the day. Immediately our loyalty shifted to the new trend of melodious music composed strongly on Carnatic base with a new concept of orchestration by MSV. From then on there is no going back.

Then I came to Chennai, people used to throng at T.P.Koil Street, Triplicane, near Sri Parthasarathy Swamy Temple, listening to the songs of Pava Mannippu, Pasa Malar, played in Cone Speaker by M.J.R. Electricals. Incidently, the songs for Pava Mannippu is the first film for which a music contest was held. The most notable feature is that the Triplicane people were used to be conservative. But very critically minded. Then we used to go to Bhuhari’s Marina
Swimming Pool and Cafe Amin in Royapettah where Juke Boxes were there. The songs of Veera Thirumagan, Padithal Mattum Pothuma, etc., were used to be played.

The opening music, lyrical beauty wonderful rendering, hitherto unheard instrumental support in between the songs in Roja Malare Raja Kumari made us wonder how God has bestowed such a musical brain to MSV. This song is a classical example of a Proper duet. Of course all the songs in the above picture were hit. But each differ from one another in variety. For example in the song Neeroodum Vaigaiyile whistle is used in a judicious way. Usually a whistle is played in a bathroom or in a casual way. But in MSV’s hands it gets a dignified place. Of course Pon Ondru Kanden, Naan Kavignanum Illai are other unimaginable compositions. In the song Madura Nagaril Tamil Sangam, the use of Shenoy, Mandolin, Flute, Sarod, Sarangi, its opening and the above all the human chorus which now they call harmony, MSV showed that he is ahead of all. Now came the unparallel Pudiya Paravai, Karnan. Here we see the Midas Touch by the genius. Even MSV could not think that such creation can be made again. With the available resources at his command and the available technology, MSV used almost all the instruments in a judicious way touching all branches of music viz., Western, Hindustani, Carnatic, Folk. The extensive use of piano, saxophone, Brass, Trumpet, Violins, Bangoes speaks volumes of the creative genius. In fact MSV is the only music director under whose baton all the songs in a picture were hit.

MY EXPERIENCE OF HIS RECORDINGS:

A Family friend of us by name M.G.Rajagopal, M.A.B.L., was a great Violinist. His brother was my college colleague. He left his lawyers job and joined MSV troupe. He used to share his experiences of recordings. In fact, I had the privilege one of keeping for some time the group photo taken on the song recording of Avalukkenna Azhagiya Mugam. It had the galaxy of gem of players viz., Mandolin Raju, S.G.Mangala Murthy, Sham Joseph, Rani David and his brothers, the great Noel grant Philips, Nanjundaiah, Shankar Ganesh, etc, The greatness of MSV lies in coordinating the skill of the above players and creating an immortal song. MSV has the uncanny knack of finding out what each player or singer is capable of and. using them accordingly. This showed how true to his usual dictum team work. Democracy is the hail mark. Even a Coffee boy’s suggestion is taken care of. Though he is a task master, he is the first person to appreciate if any improvisation or innovation is made by a player or singer by jumping in the recording room.

Sri. Rani David is his violinist became my friend. Through his influence, I attended the re-recording Sollathaan Ninaikkiren, Sirithu Vazha Vendum, to say a few. It was really treat for the eyes and ears to watch MSV conduct the recordings. The remarkable feature is that when 30 violins are played, MSV has the uncanny knack of finding which violinist played a wrong note. This is even referred to by well known musical critic Sri.Subbudu by saying MSV has ESPN power. In one’ particular seen in Sollathaan Ninaikkiren when the milk in the vessel boils and then again goes into the vessel showing symbolic emotions, MSV used to conduct and synchronize it with immaculate perfection. But when he is in the recording room, while arranger was conducting he was unable to do the same thing. Number of times MSV came out, and able to conduct perfectly. Even I still remember he showed his displeasure by saying that it was not a symphony that he is conducting. Symphony is a common word now. In the re-recording of Sirithu Vazhavendum he came with a coat covering his body because of his high fever. But he conducted the recording with his usual zest. He had to do re-recording three or four pictures that being the Diwali Season. All this shows the in fatigable energy the work holic nature of MSV which cannot be replaced.

STAGE PERFORMANCE:

Never missed a single stage show of MSV from 1960. In fact I was one of the gifted soul to have the fortune of witnessing the award function of Mellisai Mannargal. At that time first his troupe used to play as title music Sathiyam Idhu Sathiyarn, then Nalaam Naalam Thirunalaam and subsequently the title music of Uthiravindri Ullevaa. He is the first person in many respects. First to stage a light music show at Salem with galaxy of singers. First to make lot of innovation and he is the only music director under whom maximum number of singers have sung. First to use the manual voices for special effects and first to use maximum number of instruments in single track recording.

APPRECIATION BY STALWARTS:

The Tabla interlude in Naalaam Naalam Thirunaalam is compared to. Palaghat Mani style by Subbudu. The composition of Malligai En Mannan Mayangum was appreciated by Subbudu by saying that MSV could put the name of Viswanatham as a new Raga for the above song - as it was a combination of many ragas. Many Carnatic giants were amazed at the use of various ragas. For example Nada bhairavi, Sindu Bairavi & Charuksi used in the song Pesuvadu Kiliya.

Nada Bhairavi, Gown manohari in Partha Zgnabagam Illaiya. Even though mixing of ragas may attract criticism for me its Pancha.mirthem a divine thing. He along with Shri Maharajapuram Santhanam presented a wonderful Sangamam. Then came Annamalai Kai Thozha released by Isai Arasi M.S.Subbulakshmi who was very much moved emotionally. Then came the title Isai Perarignar usually given only to a Carnatic Musicians. In fact a flash comes to my mind when the great MLV used to say that MSV can give Swaras for sound of opening and closing a door. In fact he can be called a Thollisai Mannar.

MSV never used the original tunes of a re-make Hindi film He used his own tunes. All of them were hit. But when films of his music were re-made in Hindi, the respective music directors used to say that they could not create the same music as told by Chitralaya Gopu and Muktha Srinivasan and so many people. He is also an expert in composing music for films which were made in foreign locations, say for example; Ulagum Chutrum Valiban, Sivantha Mann, Ninaithale Innikum. Another noteworthy feature is the continuous flow of Sangathis when he touches his harmonium. A creative genius truly as told by the versatile Bhanumathi. Lata Mangeshkar, Naushad, Shankar Jaikishan, Lakshmikant Pyarilal were all his fans. He commanded respect from them. Goddess Saraswathy dwells on him. He eats, drinks, sleeps music nothing else.

HUMANIST:

Basically he is a humanist. All the players worked under him have lot of respect and affection towards him so also his Rasikas. He believed in team work and democracy. In fact-it is used to be said he used to call the even the Office boys as Anna. One particular joke about him is that he used to mention Vijayawada as Vijaya Anna. He is basically a rasikan. He appreciates all that is good in others. But at the same time never shirks his responsibility of senior person by reviewing others work but not criticising. His duty to his Guru Subbaiya Naidu is a well known fact. In fact if I am correct, MSVs troupe is the only troupe whose member names are known to the Rasikas.

MSV AND BALACHANDER’S COMBINATION:

In this combination, we see innovations. The Director, the Music Director, Lyricist, the Actors and Actress all of them have the same wave length. Notable among their creations are Kadavul Amuthuvaitha Medai, the unforgettable Kattrukku Enna Veli, Sippi Irukuthu Muthu Irukkuthu, Ninaithale Innikkum.
Ram

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-collecting some old and very interesting threads, for the benefit of those who may have missed this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: