"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MMM - Mesmerizing Mellisai Mannar - By Ramki

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ram

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: MMM - Mesmerizing Mellisai Mannar - By Ramki Reply with quote

MMM - MESMERIZING MELLISAI MANNAR (Part-1)
By Ramki

Right from my age 10, I used to enjoy film songs, though I never saw many movies at that time. Later when I was in school finals at Tirunelveli, I came to know that the songs I was enjoying were all MSV’s creations!

I started building collection of his songs from wherever it was available and for specific songs like ‘kavithaiyil ezhuthiya kaaviyathalaivi’ from Kaaviyathalaivi , ‘Azhagiya megangal vaanathil thirala’ from Ganga Gowri (and many more) I had to take great efforts to get them. Every song of his used to impress me in a unique way and every time I hear the song, I see a new dimension in it. The mesmerizing melody, music pre and interludes, the flawless flow delivery by singers and above all this genius’s creativity beyond the boundaries of any raaga - all these are possible only by MSV and none else.

I was longing to see this great creator atleast once in my life time and just walked into his house in mid eightees. I was amazed to see his simplicity and warmth with which I was received.

Sitting quietly on the park-bench of my apartment , after my routine morning walk (of course with MSV’s song on in my walkman - without which I never had a ‘complete’ day) I wonder how I got fascinated with MSV’s creations.

I went back to my childhood when I used to listen to a lot of film music (much against the ruling of elders not to listen to film music) in the ‘National Echo’ radio we used to have (mine used to be one of the very few privileged houses to own a radio those days). All songs from ‘Pa’ series films of Bheemsingh, Chithralaya Sridhar’s and many verteran directors mesmerized me from my childhood and to my greatest surprise I had understood during my school final days that they were all MSV’s.

I started filtering films and songs of only MSV from that point and started drenching in the mesmerizing melidies of mellisai mannar thereafter.

I recalled the college days when I used to enter the auditorium to watch MSV in action with his Orchestra once a year, of course with a forged ticket, since I could not afford a Rs.10 ticket then (which was too high a money for us in 60s) and it used to be a fascinating scene to watch MSV directing his troup to render all songs I liked most in my childhood. Some of his live renderings are evergreen in my mind:

- The title instrument music ‘Naalam naalam thirunaalam’, a song whose melody mesmerizes even today

- The rhythmic ‘paavai paavai thaan’ from ‘Enga mama’, where the bango interlude is unique. (I tried playing this in my college orchestra in vain !)

- Again a bango number ‘ Kankalukkenna kaaval illaiyo’ from ‘Nil gavani kathalee’

- A rich folk from ‘Raman Ethanai Ramanadi’, ‘Ammadi ponnukku thanga manasu’ -
(MSV ethanai MSVyadi !)

- ‘Aalayamaniyin osaiyai naan ketten’ from ‘Palum pazamum’ - a song which awakens midnight for dawn.

- The unique ‘Unnai thoduvathu iniyathu’ from ‘Utharavindri Ulle Vaa’ on instruments

- The way MSV used to introduce his orchestra members at the end of Thani Avarthanam of rhythms etc etc etc .

I always recall how songs like ‘Mayakkama kalakkama’ from Sumaithangi and 'Kalamagal Kanthirappal chinnayya' from Aanndajyothi had given such a featherly touch to my whenever I was worried!

I feel proud to be a crew member in creation of website on this ‘Avathara Purushar’ and I am sure this website will be a great treasure for generations, bring to light our Mellisai Mannar’s unmatchable contributions to music world.

Though a CIO and in the IT profession for the past 30 years, if I say only MSV moulded me to the level of what I am, it is just a blunt truth!
Ram

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-collecting some old and very interesting threads, for the benefit of those who may have missed this.
madhuraman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: My Music Man MSV Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Ram
By bringing back some of the earliest postings, you have really rendered a valuable service for us to admire the writings, writers and the themes chosen. I would endorse both Mr. Vaidy's and Mr. Ramki's observations on the legend. For me several of their observations tally with my own. I shall narrate the key ones, for our youngsters to draw their inference. Those days, children can not go to movies except with the parents [who would ascertain the "content" of a movie] Cine songs were out of bounds in houses. Too often songs had to be known from Wedding house loudspeakers; a sum of Rs 10/- had a purchase power of a month's vegetable for 15 days for a family of 3-4. Where was the scope to expect of buying a ticket for live programme on cine-music? Yet things happened as Mr.Ramki has narrated. All boys wore shorts or Dhoties respectively for school and College. [Bearest minimum dress from economic considerations for modest living with moderation]. Under such regulated living we fell in love with MSV by the sheer quality rampant in his music. Sometime in my 7th Std. [II form then] songs from Pudhaiyal started their mesmerism on me, though I had no idea of how songs were made. Something extraordinary about those songs were all that could feel. This 'out of the world' feeling on hearing some songs used to grip me those days repeatedly year after year. Much much much later during my SSLC I came to know of singers and Music men[ Watch the old movie title cards showing Sangeetham - G R or K V M or V R -not as MDs mind you]. Still later I came to realize that all those "out of the world" feelings generated in me were by MSV songs. Why I say so is, all my responses were to a genre of music whose creator possessed me long before I knew the name of the creator. There was just no question of blind adoration or hero worship, as the response of worship happened without knowing the hero. Thereafter as college students our life was with Viswanathan songs. It can not be brushed aside as the syndrome of college students because my situation was entirely different. From 1961-1965 I did my collegiate study at MYSORE where all my non -tamil classmates too enjoyed MSV songs despite their severe constraint about the lyric. Students thronged theatres to listen to VR songs as they were together in that period.
All my efforts to have an open-minded reception to other composers have miserably failed because EXCEPT MM M S V ,not one has managed seamless blending of lyric ,ludes and orchestration besides bringing together perfect emotive union of instruments from any origin. Undoubtedly MSV is a class and rare to occur as a phenomenon once in some millennia. Hats off.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Navi Mumbai.
Damodaran Pachaiappan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Professor Sir,

"All my efforts to have an open-minded reception to other composers have miserably failed because ..........."

Exactly what I felt myself sir. You have put it aptly in one sentence what would have taken me several efforts to convey! It is a pleasure reading your writings sir.

With sincere regards,
Damodaran Pachaiappan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: