"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Handful of Piano Picks - Part 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raghavan vasudevan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Piano in MSV composition Reply with quote

Hallo,

Ramki write up on Piano was well resarched. I had already posted this topic earlier on. Just to append I recall the song from the film Kannan En kadalan song Padvore by TMS.

In this song Tabla and piano combination is unique which no music director has thought of. Normally congo drums/drums are used on a song where piano is played. But this song is a great one . The competiton between table and piano is indeed a joyful experience. I am sure the musicians of both instruments would have enjoyed as much the listners.

It is one more feather on our great Mellisai mannar.
Vatsan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: MSV's piano works Reply with quote

Ram,
As you rightly stated, MSV's works compell you to write on them...far too different from MSV the persona, who couldn't give a damn about opinions or recognitions Smile
kaN pOna pOkkilE.....sevigaL pOna pOkkilE pOnAl....kAlam muzhuvathum antha pAdalaiyE kEttunkkondirukka thOndrum. The unedited version that is often played on TV has a violin solo at the later half of the second interlude that was played TKR himself. The very seed of the song belongs to an era that has yet to arrive !!!! The percussions ensemble is a treat. Any other composer would have been happy with a generic waltz rhythm arrangement. engu podi vaikkalAm endru "edakku" seyyum Nandi-yin thalaivanAna Viswanathan avargaLukkuL mattum magnified creative rhythm sense adakkam. The slur on the beats, that subtle something else creeping into the rhythm pattern during the interludes is all something we have come to expect from MSV.
ellOrum nalam vAzha is a timeless classic especially when you notice how easily it eclipses Shankar Jaikishen's 'dil kE jharOkOn mein tujhkO bitAkar'. Multiple tunes for stanzas, especially the one slight slant at 'nAn ippOthu oomai, mozhi illAtha piLLai ' is a western classical-ish touch that ONLY MSV manages to fuse with an Indian melody time and again and ofcourse, seamlessly.....and oh GAWD...so appropriate....yawn....MSV does that all the time...so what's new here ?!!!? . To seamlessly blend the seemingly irreconciliable aspects of feelings hurtful outrage, strong melody, a Victorian touch to the tune (like in the above mentioned lines), brilliant santhams, orchestral arrangement that would send the word "grandeur" on a dictionary hunt to re-write its own meaning and yet, up your scale on appreciation of aesthetics leaving you benumbed is an art form that 'happens' to MSV only, consistently so. Plus here is a bonus, two different tunes for stanzas !!!! Quite a lot to imbibe, right ? Happy "experiencing"....lets all go back to listen to the song once again. Wait....what about the delectable solo violin that serves as prompt for a the first stanza!!! That seemed to come out of nowhere, a panache loaded touch, offering the charanams to TMS on a platter, pretty much like the sitar swirl that hands the entire 'mounamE pAravayAl' to PBS. The feeling of the inevitable flow of music forces the word 'happen' to happen to me when I write about MSV.
Ram, if you could discern the piano notes behind the classical-folkish 'pAvaiyin mugathhai' from pAsa malar, we could showcase it as the mother of all fusion music, except that MSV did not call it so, because it 'happened' to him much unlike the case of today's composers where the fused components stick out like sore thumbs.
Ram

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments, dear Vasudevan Sir... hope you have had opportunity to go through my other 7 songs prior to this part too. See the presentation in all the songs. (Am sure there are still more left). Completely unimaginable variety by anyone in the world, except our MSV. Real master of melodies!!! Your observations on "Paaduvor Paadinaal" is vivid.

And dear Vatsan... I fully enjoyed your description "Nandi-yin Thalaivan" for MSV's sense of rhythm. Aptly said! None could agree more !!!
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very good writeup as ever , dear Ram.

Your articles are like a research material to me . I get so many information on the nuances of a song, its basic note, raga aspect & ABOVE ALL , YOUR BEAUTIFUL TAMIL . Very Happy
IMO, today, very few talk or write in tamil & seeing someone like you writing so fluently in Tamil makes me an addict to your posts.

All the songs highlighted by you are gems of MSV's rich Piano orchestration. As you rightly mentioned, even if we discuss about such songs 1000 times, the enthusiasm and happiness in talking about such songs of MSV are always intact & continuing . Thats the speciality of his Melody music . Smile

எவ்வளுவு மென்மை, இதமாக குழல் - பி.பி.எஸ் அவர்கள் - ஒரு சிறு சிரிப்புடன் "மனிதன் என்பவன் என்று தொடங்கும் அழகு.... சரணத்தில் "யாருக்கென்று அழுத போதும் தலைவனாகலாம்" முடிகையில் பின்னணியில் அமைதி.

"மனம்..மனம்.. அது கோவிலாகலாம்" கவியரசரின் அற்புதமான வார்த்தைகளுக்கு மெல்லிசை உயிர் கொடுத்திருப்பதை உணரலாம்.

தனிமையில் அமர்ந்து அமைதியாக கேட்பதற்கு மிகச் சிறந்த பாடல்களில் ஒன்று இப்பாடல்!

Absolutely true 100%. This is one song which one can enjoy listening in isolation ! Even the picturisation shows Gemini going for a walk in Chennai Beach ! What a beautiful imagination by Sridhar those days !

Amazing set of people we had !

Cheers.
msvramki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ram

Only today I read your this posting since i wanted spend considerable time to read line by line to enjoy your writing every bit . As usual, it is a wonderful analysis of a set of 'THISRA nadai ' songs of MSV !

Pl keep writing on many more numbers of the OUTSTANDING CREATOR of our era !

Dad
parthavi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:54 am    Post subject: Attention Mr. Ramkumar - MSV's piano picks Reply with quote

I am not sure whether you will see this post since the forum has been inactive.
I have cherished all your writings but I have particularly been fascinated by your 26 part series on MSV's piano picks.

I read these posts again and again though some of the technical details on the musical aspects are above the par of my comprehension.

I just noticed that you have not written about the song malligai hoi from Bhavani, in which piano has been included extensively in the prlude and the interlude. I give below the youtube link for the song.

https://youtu.be/osiqpqrC5mQ?si=yPNT1euAJ_nVoa7J

Unfortunately the second interlude which has a humming has been truncated in the youtube video.

When you have the time, pl write about this song.

I will be thankful to you if you can let me know after posting your write-up in this forum (or in your blog etc.) by sending me an email at prengaswami@yahoo.com

Ph: 7667198379

Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: