"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sivaji Ganesan - Cigarette - Style

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ram

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Sivaji Ganesan - Cigarette - Style Reply with quote

Sivaji Ganesan - Cigarette - Style

This is a presentation to showcase and highlight how even a cigarette gets life when it lies in the hands of the greatest Legend in Acting the world has ever seen - "Nadigar Thilagam" Sivaji Ganesan, Now straight to the topic....

Film: "Ooty Varai Uravu"; Song: "Thedinen Vandhadhu"

When one speaks about "Style", that too with "Cigarettes", this song would definitely be a fore-runner!!!

Start of the song.... Nadigar Thilagam carefully watches the activities of K R Vijaya", ofcourse he is not in a mood to enjoy her movements!

See his pose.... Just awesome

He takes a puff... and

...then his hand just move ONLY till waist.... Because if he moves his hand still below, the Cigarette will not be seen in the shot. How do we describe his Genius ?!

His shadows seen on the walls.... Even that is stylish!!!

Amazing camera work by Sridhar and his Team..... Kudos !!!!

And now, the Ultimate shot in the song, according to me....

Ok, why this shot is special, you may wonder. In all other shots Cigarette will be in his Right Hand.... Only in this frame he will have his Cigarette in his left Hand. Since his left hand is facing the camera and if he had held the cigarret on his right it would be hidden from the camera, he has placed it on his left... That is "Nadigar Thilagam" !!!!!

My dad used to tell me that....Ganesan will always be careful & cautious that a camera is watching him. How true ?????? And its Great Observation, dad !!!!!!!

And throughout the song, except during taking puffs, the cigarette would always be around his waist. But this is just in this song.... We will see how he plays with Cigarette in other great songs!

Film: "Paar Magale Paar"; Song: "Neerodum Vaigayile"

When the song starts he will have the cigarette in his right hand

During the course of the song (before the first interlude), see how he seemlessly transfers from one hand to other

And the cigarette is transferred.... How he effortlessly moves the cradle and observes the child in the cradle !!!

Blows out smoke in Style while whistling

A Perfect Photo-Genic Face!!!

Very interesting part, when he throws away the cigarette from his hand

Next song which is very well known for his Smoking Style

Film: "Shanthi"; Song: "Yaar Andha Nilavu"

His smoking mannersim clearly shows that he is wondering and wandering with the question: "Why am I in this world???"

Careless (but he is extremely careful) in holding his Cigarette

Amazing way to dust the Cigarette ash

Trying to calm himself with that stylish blow of smoke....

Who would dare to show their back while holding the cigarette on the hand ?!?!?!?!

Important scene from a great film: "Gauravam"

Wow man!!!!! See his Pose, his crossed legs, how he rests his one hand while other holds the pipe stylish; Simply Awesome !!!!

Same shot - close-up

See how he changes his postures and GENERATES Style !!!

A sarcastic smile...

See how he swings his hand, which holds the pipe...

When Pandari Bai wishes the younger Sivaji "Good Luck", first the senior Sivaji is surprised.....

Later the surprise turns to Anger

His eyes convey a thousand emotions !!!!!

Last but not the least, the ultimate....

Film: "Pudhiya Paravai"; Song: "Paartha Nyaabagam Illayo"

Opening shot of the song. "Nadgar Thilagam" lights up the the cigarette on his right...

Takes a deep puff, holding the cigarette on his left

And then blows out fully!!!

See the way he hold the cigarette

He kind of gets curious seeing the singer...

He hides his "BLUSH" with his hand while he takes a puff..... Greatest Acting !!!!!!!!!!

MAJESTIC !!!

When we go to a corporate party in our office, it is worth to watch this song and study his table mannerisms.... Simply great!!!

A Classic Romantic Hero of all times... Atrociously Handsome !!!

Innocent Smile....Slowly getting interested in the singer

A slightly different way of holding the cigarette...That again Stylish!!!

Cleans his tongue from the Cigarette Ash.... Wah Re Wah !!!!

How the cigarette is sticking to his smile.... does he use any adhesive ???

Richness in the character overflows in his Style !!!

சப்தத்தையும் ஸ்வரமாக்கியவர் மெல்லிசை மன்னர்.... எழுத்தையும் எதுகையாக்கியவர் கவியரசர் - பாடலில்!

புகையையும் தன் துணை நடிகனாக்கியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் - காட்சியில்!

இவர்களைக் "காலத்தை வென்ற கலைக் கூட்டணி" என்றுரைப்பதில் துளியேனும் பிழையுண்டோ ???

ragasuda

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: NT's cigarette style Reply with quote

"F..A..N..T..A..S..T..I..C.."
Dear Ram , I find it difficult to find words to express my appreciation. Simply great. I was a school student when Pudhiya Paravai was released in 1964. This film created a sensation among the youth of that period - the first impact was the wide spread increase in the habit of smoking (of course it is injurious to health), I saw many youngsters in the age group of 18 to elders even in their 70s - underline it was in 1964 - go to shop to buy cigarette secretly fearing parents and would release smokes like NT ... It was a craze. In fact the brand 555 cigarette itself became a craze - until then PANAMA, BERKELEY (SV Ranga Rao was a brand ambassador for Berkeley during those days), SCISSORS, WILLS ruled. With the increasing popularity for 555 cigarette it was treated as a symbol of status among the well to do. Since we all were orthodox families we would simply watch those smoking 555 and would satisfy that NT himself smoked! .... This may sound funny but it was fact. Your posting brings us these memories of early 60s when we were all school boys. Not only cigarette, his white and white costume in the song Aha mella nada was also a craze ... of course there were always criticims from other quarters stating NT as Thoppai Ganesa ... But he or we least bothered and concentrated on his performance.
The rest is history.
V. Raghavendran
tvsankar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ram,

THANKS A LOT FOR THE EXCELLENT PICS OF SIVAJI........

Padangaluku - ungalin varnanaigal - Very NIIICCEEE.

MUdivil manadhil thodarndhu varuvadhu - MSV in isaiyil Sivaji kaga amaindha padalgalae......

Ovvoru pic ai parthadhum manadhil udanae - andha padathirkana padal varigal dhan...................................

இவர்களைக் "காலத்தை வென்ற கலைக் கூட்டணி" என்றுரைப்பதில் துளியேனும் பிழையுண்டோ ???

V.V.V. True Words.....

Thank you once again for the nice post.

With Love,
Usha Sankar.
msvramki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

அன்புள்ள ராம்,

அபாரம் அபாரம் !!

சிவாஜியின் சிகரெட் ஸ்டைலை அணுஅணுவாக, பிரேம் பிரேமாகப் படங்களில் (குறிப்பாக ஊட்டிவரைஉறவு, சாந்தி, புதியபறவை) நாம் திரும்ப திரும்பப் போட்டு ரசித்திருக்கிறோம். அந்த ஒவ்வொரு பிரேமையும் ஸ்டில்லாக வெட்டி உன் எழுத்துடன் பதித்தது அபாரம் !

இதைத்தயார் செய்ய நீ பலமணிநேரம் எடுத்திருக்கவேண்டும் என்று நினைக்கிறேன்! அவ்வளவு கஷ்டமான வேலையாயிற்றே !

Hats off to your unique work !

நடிகர்த்திலகத்தின் தீவிர ரசிகர்கள் இதைப்பார்க்கவேண்டும் என்பது என் அவா !

அப்படிப்பார்த்தார்களானால், உடன் உனக்குக்கொடுப்பார்கள் -
"எழுத்தர்திலகம்" என்ற பட்டம்.

இத்தனை ஸ்டைல்களை அநாயசமாக செய்த நடிகர்திலகத்திற்கு ஈடான நடிகர் உலகில் உண்டா என்பது சந்தேகமே !

ஒவ்வொரு போட்டோவையும் பார்த்துக்கொண்டே இருக்கவேண்டும் என்ற போதை ஏற்படுகிறது !!

உன் முடிவுரை வரிகள் :

" சத்தத்தை ஸ்வரமாக்கியவர் மெல்லிசைமன்னர், எழுத்தை எதுகையாக்கிவர் கவியரசர், சிகரெட் புகையை துணைநடிகனாக்கியவர் நடிகர்த்திலகம்" - எவ்வளவு உண்மையான வார்த்தைகள் !!

தொடர்ந்து எழுதி எங்களை மகிழ்வி !

அன்புடன்,
ராம்கி.

parthavi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I browsed through Ram's write up on Sivaji's smoking style but did not read it completely since I am averse to moking and am unable to reconcile myself to anyone smoking, even if he is a stranger. But I had observed that it was a very keen and painstaking alliance.

Now after reading Sivakumar's write up, I was reminded of what Vairamuthu had once observed. He said that Kamal and Rajini are only two different versions of Sivaji's style. I think that it was a very profound observation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: