"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thoduvadenna thendralo malargalo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Rare Songs of MSV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Damodaran Pachaiappan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:41 am    Post subject: Thoduvadenna thendralo malargalo Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
One of the less commonly heard songs of Mellisai Maamannar.

Film: SABADHAM Sung by SPB Lyrics: Kaviarasar Kannadasan

[i]Thoduvadhenna thendralo malargalo
Paniyil vandha thuligalo kanigalo
Udal engum kulir avadhenna!
En manamengum neruppavadhenna![/i]

[color=red]Beautiful start, soothing interlude , feet tapping rhythm.
[/color]

Kamadhenu paal karandhaalo, Adhil kanni mangai then kalandhalo!
Adhai nadakka vittaalo, ennai midhakka vitaalo!

Nothing very unusual and yet very special.

Just listening to this song I can envisage this to be a dream sequence in the movie ( I hope I am right! )

Melodious,soothing, invigorating - all at the same time. Hallmarks of our great MSV.

Again, ahead of his time, every time!

Please listen to this number and let us know what you think.

With warm regards,
Damodaran Pachaiappan
madhuraman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Rare Songs of MSV Reply with quote

Dear Dr.
Welcoming you again after a brief non-appearance. Your reference to SABADHAM number by SPB draws this response of mine. It was a great number, quite deviant from the then dominant loud rendition.Also the orchestration was quite good. YET, I HAVE A BASIC DOUBT. WAS THE MUSIC SCORED BY MSV ? My memory is, it was GKVenkatesh's score. It is not my intention to hurt anyone. But since the item relates to the name of the MD, I thought it fit to get it verified. If I am wrong I would stand amended too. Let us wait for our friends' clarification. As for the song, it was one of the great numbers of SPB rendered to romantic weight in a very sedate style backed by a competent set of ludes and interludes. Certainly the song is worthy of being appreciated for its quality. If need be, it could be treated under other composers' thread. Let us wait for some time.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Navi Mumbai
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed its a brilliant composition . Sir, Professor is right. Its by GKV only . GKV had given many such silken classics like Then sindhudhe vanam.
Sabadham was one of the very few movies that GKV composed in tamil films. He was a long time associate of the Master. In the 70s his orchestration style was different & more western . A real class composer . Ilayaraja was fortunate to get groomed under him. You can now observe the shades of GKV ludes in Isainyani's orchestration pattern also ! Definitely, IR must have been immensely influenced by GKV style .

Though GKV scored in little in tfm, he was highly successful in Kannada music.

Whenever MSV recollects his past life ( his 60s ) he fondly mentions about GKV . Dont forget his voice presence in Inbamum kadhalin iyarkayin niyadhi ( Manidhan marivitan ...fm Pava mannippu )
Damodaran Pachaiappan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Professor sir and Balaji sir,

Please accept my profuse apologies for this goof up. It is a good thing I checked my mail before leaving for work and got to this thread via the reply notification system. Actually, I obtained this information from the insert of an audio CD (which has this song ) I bought recently in London. The CD is released by RPG/saregama. I blindly trusted this information which unfortunately turns out to be incorrect. Embarassed

My sincere thanks to Professor Raman and Mr.Balaji for pointing out this error. Once again I apologise - especially to the fans of GKV. Nevertheless, my appreciation for the song remains undiminished. I am also humbled and pleased by the respect that ardent MSVians have for other composers, reflecting the true character of our own Legend.

Dear Ram, perhaps you would be kind enough to move my post elsewhere, if possible, where it would cause less embarassment!

Thanks again,
With warm regards,
Damodaran Pachaiappan
madhuraman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Rare Songs of MSV Reply with quote

Dear Dr,
To err is human and you need not tender apologies to any one. After all we are run over by so much of information that we may inadvertantly slip into errors. Just as we get annoyed over others who usurp MSV's compositions and claim laurels for their composers, fans of GKV could be disturbed as well. Therefore, I felt the need to ascertain if it were GKV's work. I am happy that all our clan are gentleman to the core with no hesitation whatsoever to accept gracefully the error. Let me again assure you that unintended slips need not disturb us, more so as we are open for genuine amendments. Thank you once again.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Navi Mumbai.
Venkat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Dr.,

I would like to repeat the lines of our dear Prof.

Even I have seen in some of the CDs that many songs of MSV will be printed as some other MD. As well as some other MDs song will pe printed as MSV. What to do? The recording co. should review this before printing. They should take care of this.

GKV has scored some lovely numbers in Tamil.
Thoduvathenna thendralo
Then sinduthe vaanam
En thalaivi irukum idam thedungal (SPB... don't know the movie)
Ragam anuragam ... (I think Dheepan Chakravarthy movie is Madhumalar I think so... not sure)

For MSV-TKR isayil paadiyathu:
Vantha naal muthal (Paava mannippu).
Sondhamum ille oru bandamum ille (Hello Mr.Jamindar)

MSV and GKV are very close. I have heard an interview (may be some 15 years back) in Madras Vividhbharathi. I have recorded it. But it is available only in audio cassette.

Some interesting facts from that interview:

1. The song Muthana muthallavo is recorded within hours.

2. For the song Nee Ennenna sonnalum kavidhai (Netru Indru Naalai), MSV has composed for nearly 100 days. MGR is rejecting all the tunes. Finally he accepted this tune.
The movie is SA Asokan's. He will be coming to MSV and tell, Viswanathanne intha tune-um thalaivar vendamnu sollitaarunne...
MSV avargal porumaya thirumba thitumba tune pottu kodupar...
that is the greatness of our one and only MSV...

(Incidentally today is MGR's B'day. Ippo Raj TV-la Kudiyiruntha Koil movie poitruku. Presently the song "Naan yaar nee yaar..." is going on.
This movie is another musical classic of our genius. This movie songs needs to be discussed separately)

They discussed about
Vandha naal mudhal intha naal varai
Elu swarangalukul ethanai paadal and some more songs...
About other MDs.
madhuraman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Rare Songs of MSV Reply with quote

Dear Dr and Mr.Venkat and others,
All marketing agencies are keen to amass wealth even at the cost of acknowledging the yesteryear composers of lyric / tune. They seem to be hard stones with no value for such innate merits of authorship, pioneering efforts and the hard labour of composing in an era of zero technology compelling a "total repeat play of an ebtire song" if any mistake creeps through a lengthy session of recording. They simply go by certain unimaginative but imaginary assumptions like any dominanantly carnatic raga-based effort as of KVM, a rich ensemble of instruments / basically melodious numbers of pre-1976 as of MSV and anything between 1976 and early 1990s as of IR and so on. Even TV comperes and programme managers display casual, rather callous attitudes, systematicall failing to recall the glories of the real composers while painstakingly narrating of the actor in that sequence. Unfortunately, they enjoy the status of media in projecting wrong information as if all their utterances are authentic. So, we are under greater obligation to cross check information so as to be honest on our part. The best strategy appears to be guarded references with a corollary that "we are open for correction if the contention is incorrect". Ironically, even good friends like MSV and GKV suffer on account of such unauthentic references on CDs and cassette cover pages. What is worse, I have seen huge cinema posters carrying MSV's name for movies done by KVM and vice versa. Perhaps the safest bet is to verify facts from visual movie titles for all such technical domains.
Thank you for the opportunity to look at the scenario and the need for us to stand guarded.
Warm regards Prof. K.Raman Navi Mumbai
Damodaran Pachaiappan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Professor sir and Venkat sir for your valuable comments.
I will be more careful in future. In the days of Vinyl records, the information on the records used to be accurate. Alas but not in the days of 'fly-by-night' CD companies.
This remains me of another of Mellisai Maamannar's song:
KANNAI NAMBADHE , UNNAI YEIMATRUM NEE KAANUM THOTRAM in Ninathadhai Mudippavan.

With warm regards,
Damodaran Pachaiappan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Rare Songs of MSV All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: