"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MSV trivia!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S.V.Srinivasan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: MSV trivia! Reply with quote

Friends,

I'm giving here some trivia connected with MSV which I have gathered over several years, obtained from various magazine articles penned by MSV, Kannadasan, Vaallee and others, as well as from TV interviews. Some of these may be known to you, some may not. Please excuse if what I've stated is common knowledge or if it has been covered by somebody else in our Forum.

1. When "Vettaikaran" was being planned, producer Chinnappa Devar visited MSV at his house early one morning and told him that his distributors were putting immense pressure on him to sign on MSV-TKR as music directors for the MGR-Savithri starrer. MSV was in a fix because he respected Devar but, at the same time, he could not stab "Mama" KVM in the back by entering the Devar films fortress. MSV went inside his house and told his mother the situation. Her reaction? She slapped him! The reason? When MSV was struggling for a foothold in the industry, KVM had gifted him money and clothes. MSV's mother told him that he should never accept a film meant for KVM if he had even an ounce of gratitude in his body! MSV went back to Devar and pleaded his inability to take up the assignment. From this movie onwards (Vettaikaran), you can see more modern orchestration in Mama's films for Devar.

2. Vaallee had written the song "Koduthathellam Koduthan" much before he entered films. He pleaded with several MDs to use the song but nobody -including M.B.Srinivasan - agreed. Finally, it found its way to MSV who went on to tune an unforgettable melody with these same lyrics for "Padagotti".

3. When the songs of "Ananda Jyothi" were being composed, MSV and TKR were on the verge of breaking up (it must have been 1965). MSV was agonizing over the imminent separation from his friend, philosopher and guide, Ramamoorthy. Kannadasan wrote the lyrics of "Ninaika Therinda Manamae" expressly to soothe MSV's troubled mind.

4. The tune of "Nalla Perai Vanga Vendum Pillaigale" (from Nam Nadu) is based on "Janagana mana", our national anthem!

5. When the music of "Ayirathil Oruvan" was being composed, Pantulu and MGR initially tried to get other lyricists to write one particular "liberation" song. But the results were totally unsatisfactory. Problem was, MSV had decided on a particular tune and was unwilling to alter it. Finally, reluctantly, MGR sent for Kannadasan (MGR and Kannadasan were going through one of their disliking-one-another phases). The song situation was explained. Kaviarasar poured out the entire lyrics in about ten minutes! The song? "Adho andha paravai pola"!

Srini

By the way, friends, please address me as Srini. No need for "Mr SVS"!
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Srini,

Many more such trivia we want from you sir ! Your recap of Koduthathellam is simply amazing because that song fitted MGR precisely !
Venkat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Srini,
Thats really a very nice piece of info.
Trivia #2, 4 and 5 are new for me.
But the 4th one is really surprising me.
Thanks for the nice information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: