"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nenjam marappadhillai - Cinematography and BGM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Movies - A Special Section!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhuraman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Nenjam marappadhillai - Cinematography and BGM Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
Unusually, I waited for the completion of this the long-pending segment of NM by the great CVS. To regain my composure and to finish this piece, well over a month went off with the thought of the 'not-to return Sridar. Yes, but, NENJAM MARAPPADHILLAI.
AS for cinematography in this movie, several things stand out. Credit should go to PN Sundaram the operative camera man and the Director of Cinematography- Mr .A.Vincent another vetean simply superb. Due to logical consideration in this movie BGM and Cinematography need being judged as complements as each lends credence to the other.
Right from the movie title -Vincent-PNS , MSV-TKR operate at tandem. Befitting the theme of the subject tiitle cards with somewhat a double images are shown where, the one at the surface layer is vivid and that at tha back drop is hazy. Hats off to the concept of intimacy in every form of presentation. MSV -TKR add to the pep by a sheer approach of single point divergence. The elusive tune that made the entire team wait for months has after all been exploited for its beauty right at the titles.Probably MSV used the tune with a vengeance that "you managed to hide from me; let me present you all over , and do it in a way you would never have imagined" He has ripped open the piece to present every syllable of it as the title flows after CVS finishes reading the evidence for the line of thought. AV -PN S, MSV- TKR keep their fire works alive till the whole movie is over. As for the MDs - what they have done is to use instruments independently to play the tune 'nenjam marappadhillai' and make a continuous piece through the titles. Instruments follow in a torrent, without a feeling of brak any where but playedin varied styles..
Cinematography in such movies has to be a powerful tool to infuse a sense of fearsome expectancy in the audience. AV -PN S have done it not by the use of oblique lighting -a tested technique. But, they have gone for soft diffuse lighting except in one place. It appears to have the intention of suggesting 'memory drawn out' by keepikg most occasions in subdued lighting. For enforcing fear, Directors prefer deadly contrast by lengthening the shadows across the face as to reveal all skin blemishes of the artistes held in a tight frame. No such piece is presented any where. Much of the impact is generated by sudden violin bursts, and bongo beats that abruptly arise and vanish. Most places where KalyaNakumar visits his ancestral mansion, only feet movements are recorded for sound, creating a fearsome pressure of devil descending on the hero to finish him off. The lone spot of contrast lighting was a half-lit face of KalyANa kumar, as a didturbed bat [vowvaal] sweeps overhead, backed by hush of drums. Another beauty of lighting and BGM is seen in the Casuarina grove as the villain Nambiar draws Devika deep into the territory to wipe her out. We are unable to judge if any lights were used at all, since the lighting looks so natural and the area of coverage quite vast. The dangerous looking Nambiar with wrinkles deepening on his face was also shown in soft light. The effect has been ably managed by a real dark backdrop while the old man is distinctly white and trembling fighting with age. In all places the antiquity is safe-guarded by using horse-drawn chariots or carts. MDs have rightly chosen the instruments of yester generations and almost played the BGM to low decibels impelling the audience to be at the visual. The loudest BGM comes when in the first birth Nambiar shoots down Devika preventing her wedlock to her son. A carefully handled scene by AV -PNS isa the song 'azagukkum marakkum jAdhi illai'. The cart keeps moving all through and the camera keeps tracking it through the thick of the vegetation in the orchard. Honestly, the light value in all frames of this song is kept steady [almost Gamma 1]. Why we need saying it is the whole movie was in B&W WITH NO SCOPE FOR COLOURFUL PRESENTATION. Yet, the technicians have achieved perfect balance between highlights and shadows of the scene , while still tracking the steadily moving cart. Even granting that shots were cut and later merged , we donot perceive the job done. Interstingly light and sound in higher scales have been used to directly narrate the story that culminated the death of the lovers in their first birth. Enormous forethought in presentation has ruled the minds of the crew that made this movie.

Oh Sridhar may your soul rest in peace.

If you are destined to be born again , why not repeat your glory for the Tamil audience who otherwise do not seem to have an opportunity.

WARM REGARDS Prof. K.Raman Madurai
tvsankar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why we need saying it is the whole movie was in B&W WITH NO SCOPE FOR COLOURFUL PRESENTATION. Yet, the technicians have achieved perfect balance between highlights and shadows of the scene , while still tracking the steadily moving cart.

Dear Prof ji,

very true words told by you sir.

VCD vangi iruken. Unga writings padichutu padam pakkaren Sir.

Ivvalavu dhan ipodhaiku solla mudiyum....

Beautiful Views Sir ungalodadhu....

With Love,
Usha Sankar.
madhuraman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Movies Reply with quote

Dear USHA mam,
Thank you so much for your informing me of the CD to be seen. I am glad that AT LEAST THERE IS ONE PERSON TO READ MY POSTS ON CVS. Now a days I have stopped writing about movies since I am unable to write the way people expect. As you can see the, the number of movies, the number of hours spent and the detailed investigations on each one of the grand movies of Sridhar have just filled my time and the web pages. In a technology era people are not interested to admit the toils of those creators.Instead of wasting their time better to stay silent. One thing I learned from this , [b]Do not trouble others with what you understand. [/b] So, I avoid bitterness by not writing. I feel honoured by you when you say that you would watch the CD in the light of my view points on the subject.
Thank you so much.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman
tvsankar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Profji,
Thanks for your response.

Geethai la solli irukae " kadamaiyai sei. palanai edhir parkadhae"

Adhai nenachukongo Sir. Ezhudhunga.Nichayam enravadhu

oru naal adhu madhipandhaga aagum.

Idhu dhan Sir en anubavathil naan unarndha unmai.

Nalla vishayangal - eppodhum - miga thamadhagama than
poi serum...

Tats the reality Sir.

So Dont Worry. Pl keep ur thoughts and ur feelings about MSV...

with Love,
Usha Sankar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Movies - A Special Section! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: