"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MGR and MSV
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: MGR and MSV Reply with quote

I suggest we can discuss / analyze songs of Makkal Thilagam MGR composed by MSV here Very Happy
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Oru pennai parthu nilavai parthen ( Deiva Thai ) Reply with quote

To say that MGR songs are melodious is like Gold is precious( ardent MSV fans would have discussed this aspect 1000 times over the last decade ) ….. . It goes without saying , most of Makkal thilagam’s evergreen hits were composed either by the magnificient MSV – TKR duo or MSV alone ( KVM was a exception for Devar Films and Shankar Ganesh briefly )

I could see a different composition…. Rather a surprise gift by the duo for

ORU PENNAI PAARTHU NILAVAI PAARTHEN..from Deivathaai

A TMS solo….He breathed like MGR for this song ! A thunderous start ....drums and bangoos roaring ……followed by the duo’s customary group violin prelude before the Pallavi and there will be a small PAUSE….before TMS takes off with Oru pennai paarthu….

Another beauty is…the drums/ bangoos will resume again ( rather will wait until TMS completes Oru pennai paarthu nilavai paarthen )…..

Sheer delight and class BGM when TMS sings…aval illaamal naan illai ( a gentle drum beat ..tak tak tak with bangoos again on the background ) naan ilaamal aval illai….. and the pallavi ends with lalalalalalalalalalalalaaaaa…….( the lalala was needed to fill the gap I presume )

Probably the duo were told that MGR and Sarojadevi will be dancing inbetween …which made them come out with splendid violin interludes before charanam…..and suddenly with a accordion …a surprise package !!! before violin again ! all in a flash !! before the resumption of…. Kodi minnal oru paarvai maano meeno endrirundhen ..kuyil osai pol oru vaarthai ..kuzalo yaazo endrirundhen …..

Earlier we had extensive sharing on thoughts on the speciality of MSV TKR music and their compositon style ESPECIALLY IMPROVISING MELODY WHEN A CHARANAM GETS REPEATED ….

Here also they didn’t miss when TMS sings …NENJODU YENNAI SERTHAAI THEEYODU PANJAI SERTHAAI …and again Nenjoooooodu with a subtle change ! vow terrific improvisation !!

Indru kaadhal ekkam thandhaal sendraal naalai enseivaalo…… TMS appadiyay swaram irangi paaduvaar…..fantastic voice modulation

Again , there will be a pause …..

Look at the impact of what even a silence can do to a song !

Oru varutham enakku….. the same interludes will get repeated for the second charanam as well ….why ?? They could have easily created another interlude …these are unsolved mysteries of TFM …or probably MGR liked the first interlude so much that he preferred using the same

The song doesn’t end so easily…..the duo will give a fine finishing touch with tremendous flow of drums and bangoos again ( which was never heard in a radio )

MGR and Sarojadevi…..ketka vendumaa….MGR ALWAYS CHEERFUL…when he sings a love song …and this song was no exception…..while Saro will be the silent spectator just reacting to MGR’s tantrums….

Makkal thilagam….in his own inimitable customary fashion…Thanudaya kayyaiyum kaalayum nanraaga veesi veesi nadippaaar ! with an attractive dressing ( unlike the palich palich yellow or red or blue which he wears sometimes )

Makkal thilagam will look young and charming…..Saroja devi as well…..

The dance movements are of typical MGR ….few steps forward and few backward…with hand joining with Heroene ( this type of MGR dance movements, we must have seen umpteen times ! )… I think MGR never took any major risk in dancing except for Aadaludan paadalai kettu wherein he had to dance like a pathan with a dance expert like L.Vijayalakshmi ! but he did remarkably well…..there will be a mini twist dance also in this song oru pennai paarthu !

It’s a simple indoor song but the impact the magnificient duo created through the thunderous flow of drums and bangoos made this SOMETHING SPECIAL AND EVERLASTING….

Ofcourse, Vanna kilee sonna mozee is another variety … a song known for rhythm

Andha moondrezuthil yen moochirukkum…is a 100% MGR kolgai parrappu paadal
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Thanga padhakathin mele - Engal Thangam Reply with quote

another beauty ….a variety …..again Makkal thilagam, JJ and MSV combination……

Its THANGA PADHAKATHIN MELAY…..

From the movie Engal Thangam….the producer ?? its Murosali Maran ! the dialogues / story also …..Its history now that MGR nurtured MM during his formative years….and MM was very upset when MG and KK got split…as he was one of the well wishers……but ultimately retained his loyalty to his maternal uncle KK and was with him until he breathed his last……

About the song…….

IMO , its one of the toughest lyrics to compose tune as there will be different rhythms or rather no consistent rhythm ( which normally will be the basis for building a song )

But MSV is such a genius that he could come out with another fantastic number and its one of the super hits of Makkal thilagam , being heard extensively…..Its so popular even today…. I could see a mild similarity in Enna vilay azagay… an ARR composition for Kadhalar dhinam !

Roaring preludes…..I had already mentioned earlier ….MGR songs always will bring cheer and pleasant feeling to one…..MSV used all his experience in building this outstanding number……a sequence of Guitar, accordion, violin, and finally accordion …..thanga padhakathin melayyyyyyyyy……( while TMS starts the tabla background ! vow ! ) oru muthu padhithadhu polay, indha pattu kannagalin melay, onru thottu koduthidalaaaaamo….neeyum vittu koduthidalaamooo…..

Friends, do you all now realize the different rhythm all through this song as the lyric flow will be like that …..( sorry for questioning you all , underestimating your memories )

The interludes before the charanam …..a sudden Shenoy ! and flute ….Mullaipoo pallakku aadai sumandhu ……….( here again the thalam will be different ) oru kodi ennam aasai nenjil pinni maraindhadhu kandu……paniyil nanaiyum azagu chilayai anaika vandhenay…. Idazgal poziyum amudha mazayai suvaika vandhenay…..

The second interludes will be full of VIOLIN backed up bangoos , drums and a grand entry for PS ! thottuzumuthaada vanji kodiyai…..thottu thodarvadhenaaa……

Here a presence of mind and improvisation from Mellisai Mannar….a brief guitar, sitar, violin …all in brief …before PS repeats again…Thottuyumuthaada…..

I repeat, again here , the rhythm will be different as the flow of lyrics changes…..a fine variety from PS when she repeats andhi maalai pozudhin kaaval ninaivai…..alappadhenaaa …..

Oorum uravaum ariyium varayil…kangalin mattodu…..manamaalai nooru soodum naalai kaigal thottaadu…..

Endless sequence of different rhythm patterns…..

Its quite amazing to listen to this splendid song that it looks refreshingly new !

Anyone can come out with how MSV composed this outstanding song ? Not sure how many days he would have taken to get the tunes and the rhythm set…

There is another typical MGR - MSV melodious song , Naan alavodu rasippavan…edhayum alavindri kodupavan ….a lovely composition…… PS and TMS involving 3 charanams with three different interludes ! for a change !
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Padumbodhu naan thendral katru - Netru indru nalai Reply with quote

Right from the dawn of 1970 Makkal Thilagam had a sole agenda in his mindset…. trying to create a niche for himself in political arena, he released a series of movies ….with clear political motives behind….there will be lots of punch dialogues and sarcastic comments about the then DMK government and its policies …..never failed to sing a kolgai parrappu paadal….

The phase also was the PEAK period of the King of Mellisai….. mudisooda mannanaaga vilangiya oru por kaalam……

Somehow, since my school days I am wonderstruck by the songs of NETRU INDRU NAALAI …..….the songs which I still cherish …..

Makkal thilagam …playing a dual role

Produced by Amalraj films….the great Asokan …..( there is a sad story behind the making of this movie but lets forget that and exchange our thoughts about the songs only )

The story line ( rather no story at all ) is very easy to write…its all about an ordinary scavenger in a down trodden society ….doing his best for upbringing them….

MSV UNLEASHED A SERIES OF OUTSTANDING COMPOSITIONS….

PAADUMBODHU NAAN THENRAL KAATRU

MGR’s well known established formula ….. A POSITIVE BEGINNING …. A PLEASANT START TO GIVE THE AUDIENCE A SENSE OF COMFORT ….

Lovely prelude …. humming from SPB ! ( probably the second song after aayiram nilavay vaa for MGR ) unfortunately Chennai Vaanoli nilayam never puts this and must have edited it probably for the duration…. IMO one of the best hummings of SPB ….on par with the humming for the song…Ninaithaalay inikkum…

Fortunately one can see this beautiful humming in the movie however…..MGR emering from a hideout on a mountain top …..with his famous round glasses and a BIG HAT ….dressed in PALICH PALICH YELLOW SUIT ………always cheerful….chasing Rajashree

MSV didn’t forget his favourite violin prelude ! to give an ideal start to the song and SPB commences with Paadumbodhu naan thendral kaatru….

While SPB sings the pallavi, naan varumbodhu aayiram paadal ….. there will be a scintillating tabla support ( similar to the song Naan endraal adhu avalum naanum in surya Gandhee ) which will prompt us to grab some vessel and try immediately !

Naan varumbodhu aayiram paadal paada vandhadhenna ….nenjam ( when I write this word NENJAM ….the sangadhi special from MSV – SPB at his awesome best ! ) and also the improvisation for the words….paruva mannnnnngayo …….

The guitar and flute interludes before Mellia poongodi valaithu….worth preserving for ages…….manadhai urchaaga pada vaikkum flute …..

Malar meniyai konjam ….note the improvisation again for KONNJAM……
Idhazil thenai koduthu oru inba naadagam nadithu……the repeat of Idhazzzzil…..

The interludes before the second charanam….a combination of violin and another humming from SPB….well backed up by flute again…..and finally Ellaigallilaa ulagam ….en idhayam adhu pol nilavum….

Pudhumai ulagam malarum nalla pozudhaai yaarukkum pularum……

Pudhumaaaiii……Again the improvisation !I think Makkal thilagam must have given full freedom to SPB ….and that’s Balu could bring so much variety to the song……

Beyond this…I am unable to explain further… such a wonderful composition….with lots of sangadhee…improvisation …..

Who should be worshipped for this evergreen number ? Is it MSV or SPB or MGR who must have extracted the best out of both …. If one has to cover other songs also, it will become an essay and hence I am just stopping here to make way for other friends to take up ….

Nee ennenna sonnaaaalum kavidhai…. TMS and PS for MG and Lata…… PS at her best, when she resumes after a pause at the fag end of the song….Indha ulaginai…..oru kanam marandhu…… A classical bagesri raga based composition ( like Nilave ennidam nerungadhey )

Angay varuvadhu yaaro..adhu vasadhathin pero…. SPB again and SJ for MG and Manjula…… SPB and SJ …konjum kural…..Pesipaarpadhaal andha aasai theerumo…idhaz osai ketpadhaal…veru baashai vendumo…..

Naan padithen kanjiyilay netru…… kolgai parappu song …Makkal thilagam…sweeping the streets and sings……

IMHO…..indha padathin paadalgal…..ORU THENISAI VIRUNDHU
tvsankar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Balaji,
Nice posts about MGR and MSV.

Compare to these songs - Penai parthu nilavai parthen and Paadum podhu naan thendral katru..

MGR ku than age agi irukum.Anal,.
MSV in isai Youth aga maari irukum.Adhuvum SPB ai vaithu kondu,Really nice picks.

MSV in Harmony (Adhanal dhanae avar Mellisai Mannar)

Neengal sonna indha padalgalil, Padum podhu naan thenral
katru paatil adhigamavagae use panni irupar.

Music flow enru oru varthai irukum enral - adharku munnodi MSV dhan....

Ennudaiya pick,

Naan ungal veetu Pillai.Film = PUdhiya Poomi.... TMS in Soft Touch...

Enna oru orchestration... Usage of instruments with HIS HARMONY - GREAT GREAYT GREAT.....

Lyrics impress me very much....

(Lyrics for this song posted under "Lyrics Section")

The lyrics is brought by rekhs..My Big thanks to you dear rekhs...

With Love,
Usha Sankar.
Ram

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balaji,

MGR and MSV analysis - Kalakkitteenga Ponga! Great Writing!

Usha, good lyric compilation. I suggest this lyric can be posted under Lyrics section under a new thread. Can you?
tvsankar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ram,
As you told, i put my post in the lyrics thread under a new topic.

I want to delete my post in this thread.is there delete option ? I could not find it.Pl suggest me...

With Love,
Usha Sankar.
Ram

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tvsankar wrote:
Dear Ram,
As you told, i put my post in the lyrics thread under a new topic.

I want to delete my post in this thread.is there delete option ? I could not find it.Pl suggest me...

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

Dear Usha,

I've edited your post accordingly to mention that the Lyrics will be available in the corresponding section.
Venugopalan Soundararajan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: MGR-MSV Solo Numbers. Reply with quote

Dear Balaji,

Good analysis.

I am listing below the Top 50 MSV-MGR numbers (ONLY SOLO SONGS):

01. Ulagam Pirandhadhu Enakkaga (Paasam)
02. Ennadhan Nadakkum Nadakkattume (Panathottam)
03. Paarappa Pazhaniyappa (Peirya Idathu Penn)
04. Avanukkenna Thoongivittan (Periya Idathu Penn)
05. Kannenna Kannenna Mayangudhu (Periya Idathu Penn)
06. Oru Pennai Paarthu (Deiva Thai)
07. Moonrezhuthil En Moochirukkum (Deiva Thai)
08. Karai Mel Pirakka Vaithan (Padagotti)
09. Koduthadhellam Koduthan (Padagotti)
10. Athai Magal Rathinathai (Panakkara Kudumbam)
11. Pallaakku Vaangap Ponen (Panakkaara Kudumbam)
12. Kanpona Pokkile (Panam Padaithavan)
13. Enakkoru Magan Pirappaan (Panam Padaithavan)
14. Naan Aanaiyittal (Enga Veettu Pillai)
15. Odum Megangale (Aayirathil Oruvan)
16. Yen Enra Kelvi (Aayirathil Oruvan)
17. Kaatru Vaangap Ponen (Kalangarai Vilakkam)
18. Enna Uravo Enna Pirivo (Kalangarai Vilakkam)
19. Pudhiya Vaanam (Anbe Vaa)
20. Ullam Enroru Kovilile (Anbe Vaa)
21. Pattup Paavadai Enge (Parakkum Paavai)
22. Buthan Yesu Gandhi (Chandrodhayam)
23. Thai Mel Aanai (Naan Aanaiyittal)
24. Ongupprana Sathiyama Naan Kaavalkaran (Kaavalkaran)
25. Paaduvor Paadinaal Aada Thonrum (Kannan En Kaadhalan)
26. Ennai Theriyumaa (Kudiyirundha Koil)
27. Naan Yaar Naan Yaar (Kudiyirundha Koil)
28. Dhairiyamaha Chol Nee Manidhandhana (Oli Vilakku)
29. Naan Ungal Veetup Pillai (Pudhiya Bhoomi)
30. Vetri Meedhu Vetri Vandhu Ennai Serum (Thedivandha Maappillai)*
31. Nalla Perai Vaanga Vendum Pillaigale (Nam Naadu)
32. Enge Aval Enre Manam (Kumarik Kottam)
33. Ange Sirippavargal (Rikshakaaran)
34. Kadaloram Vaangiya Kaatru (Rikshakaaran)
35. Naalu Perukku Nanri (Sange Muzhangu)
36. Sirithu Vaazha Vendum (Ulagam Sutrum Vaaliban)
37. Nilavu Oru Pennaagi (Ulagam Sutrum Vaaliban)
38. Aval Oru Navarasa Naadagam (Ulagam Sutrum Vaaliban)*
39. Naan Padithen Kaanjiyile Netru (Netru Inru Naalai)
40. Padumbodhu Naan Thendral Kaatru (Netru Inru Naalai)*
41. Onre Solvaan Nanre Seyvaan (Sirithu Vaazha Vendum)
42. Idhazhe Idhazhe Then Vendum (Idhayakkani)*
43. Onrum Ariyadha Penno (Idhayakkani)
44. Ennai Vittaal Yaarumillai (Naalai Namadhe)**
45. Poo Mazhai Thoovi (Ninaithadhai Mudippavan)
46. Kannai Nambaadhe (Ninaithadhai Mudippavan)
47. Indha Pachai Kilikkoru (Needhikku Thalai Vanangu)**
48. Ponnap Porandha Ambilakitte (Urimaik Kural)
49. Pillai Thamizh Paadugiren (Oorukku Uzhaippavan)**
50. Anbukku Naan Adimai (Inru Pol Enrum Vaazhga)**
51. Pattathu Raajavum Pattaala Sippaayum (Meenava Nanban)

All songs sung my TMS, except - * SPB, ** Yesudass

Cheers,
Venu Soundar
tvsankar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Venu,
2 more Beautiful songs vittuteengalae?

1. Naan padum padal nalamaga vendum...

2.Kaduvul yen kallanaaar ? manam kallai pona manidhargalalae...

with Love,
Usha Sankar.
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ushaji

Saro Chechi is right. Naan padum padal is by Shankar Ganesh . ( another out of the world song is Unadhu viziyil enadhu padal )
But anyone listening to it will immediately conclude that its by Mellisai Mannar only ! Such a melodious song .

MGR nalla velai vaangiyirupaar from SG Very Happy
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Venu Sounder

Big list of songs from You. Great Very Happy

I request Ram to have a meeting with MSV and get the details on how MGR used to extract songs from him .

MSV songs for Makkal thilagam were are all out of the world tunes Smile

Movies like 1000l oruvan, Padagotti, Enga veetu pillai , Ulagam sutrum valiban, Kudiyirundha kovil , kalangarai vilakkam, Anbe vaa ( list is too big ) are landmark albums

WE SHOULD GET THE DETAILS FROM MSV .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: MSV-MGR. Reply with quote

Dear Usha,

Now you know why I didn't include the 2 songs mentioned by you. At least we can pardon you for including "Naan Paadum Paadal" (from Naan Yen Pirandhen), as it has a MSV tinge. But how can you include "Kadavul Yen Kallanaan", which has the stamp of KV Mahadevan put all over the song.

Yes Balaji, almost all the songs of "Nann Yen Pirandhen" are excellent and fantastic. Apart from the 2 numbers already referred, the other outstanding song from the movie is "Chithira Solaigaley". When one hears, they will immediately think that they are MSV's compositions (as we all know Shankar-Ganesh are the sishyas of MSV). Though SG have scored music for few other MGR movies including "Idhaya Veenai", "Naan Yen Pirandhen" is the one where they have scored their best music ever.

Cheers,
Venu Soundar
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Shankar Ganesh Reply with quote

Dear Venu,

Fabulous. I was shocked to see the songs from Naan En Piranden under MSV thread. Anyway, we have to call a "spade" a spade and accept that they are good tunes. Here I wish to mention the following.

Both Shankar & Ganesh have been frontline instrument players for MSV for sometime. While Shankar is supposed to be a fabulous Harmonium player, Ganesh is a fabulous Bongos, Thumba, Trplie Congo player. In fact, Ganesh is supposed to be a great fill up player in the sense that if any of the percussion player didn't turn up for recording, Ganesh would readily take their role and play that instrument. I do not know how many would know that it was Ganesh who played great Bongos for Avalukkenna from Sarvar Sundaram, Poomalaiyil from Ooty varai uravu & Pon Magal Vandhal from Sorgam!!!!. I would rate NEP as the best orchestrated movie of SG. Poovodu Serntha Naarrum manapathil viyapillaiye!!!

cheers
vaidy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Shankar Ganesh. Reply with quote

Dear Vaidy,

Thanks for the interesting information. Though I very well knew that Ganesh used to play Triple Congo in MSV troupe, I was not knowing that it was he who played Bangos for the songs listed out by you. You have very aptly said "Poovodu Serntha Naarrum manapathil viyapillaiye". I really liked it.

Cheers,
Venu Soundar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: