"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KETTI MELAMKOTTURA KALYANAM FROM CHANDRODHAYAM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Rare Songs of MSV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Damodaran Pachaiappan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: KETTI MELAMKOTTURA KALYANAM FROM CHANDRODHAYAM Reply with quote

Dear Fellow MSVians,

At the outset, I must clarify that this is not an analysis of the song.

I listened to this song last week end along with some guests. Although, I have listened to this in the past, I never considered this song as the top number (might be because the situation and the lyrics were 'trivial' ) in this film which was full of excellent songs. Listening to it now, it sounds so sweet, entertaining and is indeed a foot tapping song.

My friend, his wife and their kids visited me last week end. My friend's wife (actually a very nice person) spends most of her time watching DVDs of 'modern' day films. She has no interest in 'old' films and 'old' film music. Inevitably, her song collection essentially comprises the cacophony of film songs over the last few years. She has even told her two young daughters that in the olden days people used to sing as if they were struggling with constipation - "முக்கி முக்கி பாடுவங்க" and this only changed after '' another MD" entered cine field! Consequently, the girls thought very poorly of film music of yester years. The eldest daughter is learning to play piano. My friends dilemma was how to explain the lewd lyrics..

Any way, during their stay in my house, I happened to play a DVD of MSV songs of MGR. Fortunately this happened to be a good copy with good sound quality. The girls were mesmerized listening to these songs. For some reason, they kept replaying this song and started to dance to this number.

I explained to them as best as I could about the Golden Era of our Mellisai Maamannar and his prowess with piano.

Today, the eldest girl called me asking for a complete download of all the songs in my iPOD especially the songs of MSV தாத்தா.

I am now listening to this song trying to figure out what impressed the kids.

I am equally impressed - it is the combination of simple decent and funny lyric, a very youthful 'teen-aged' sounding mellifluous voice of Isaikuil PS (and one can make out every word clearly unlike modern day songs) and the lilting tune with an excellent percussion that cheers you up. Heard through a good audio system, the bass beats make you sway. And a very fast song that too. Composed by a Musical Genius long before the mother of the girls were born!!

Long Live MSV.

With regards,
madhuraman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Rare Songs of MSV Reply with quote

Dear Dr
Your narration of the incident about the ChandrOdhayam song "Getti mElam kottura kalyANam" is an eye-opener of an item. It stands a glorious evidence of our contention that people who have not heard the compositions of MSV stay in an imaginary world of their own. It is such 'closed minds' that try to 'assume' that everything good about TFM started with the advent of X or Y to the arena. One question that they should try to answer for themselves is "How that X or Y was tempted to compose music and what was the inspiration?" If they manage an answer- an honest one at that, the second poser for them to answer for their consciemce would the longevity of the songs composed by X or Y as against the songs of the preceding era. It is quite unfortunate that they are too often guided by orchestrated hype from the media. Yet, Divinity dictates that children from such ambience definitely 'lend' their perception to listen to MSV's messmerism - a glorious tribute to quality. The discerning mind would brush aside hypes, if a right occasion puts their wisdom to test. That way you have availed of an occasion to cleanse young minds with a dose of quality that has no substitute. Certainly yours is an excellent service to the quality compositions of MSV.
May GOD bless you.

Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai.
Damodaran Pachaiappan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Prof Raman,

My thoughts exactly. Thanks for the feedback.

Dear Mr.Shankar,

I will certainly bear your suggestions in mind. Indeed the songs you have mentioned are all gems.

With sincere regards,
parthavi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'problem' with MSV is that he strives for excellence in every song, whether the mood is pathos as in 'malarndhum malatha' or jovial like 'paarappa palaniappa' Today I heard 'ngoppuraane sathiyamaa naan kaavalkaaran.' The melody and orchestration even for such a frivolous song is stunning. Like 'getti melam kottura kalyaanam' there are several songs which are overshadowed by other excellent numbers in a film. 'Getikkaariyin poyyum purattum dakukukuu thikku thaalam' from 'Kannan en Kadhalan' is another such song.The song set in fast pace is so rich in tune, sangathi, orchestration and overall presentation. The first charanam starts with 'thattezhuththukkaari...' If we listen to the prelude preceding that, we can here the 'tattattattattatta....' resembling the keyboard strikes of a typewriter. The man pours his soul into whatever he composes.That is why even the so called 'dappanguthu' songs like 'varushaththaipaaru' of Kumaippen ('jinjinnakkadi' fame!) are so pleasing to listen to.
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEAR ALL
THE SAME PROBLEM MSV HAD IN MANY MOVIES. ONE OF THEM IS 'ENGA VEETU PILLAI'. WHILE WE ALL GET KNOCKED DOWN BY THE MELODY OF 'KUMARI PENNIN' OR 'MALARUKKU THENDRAL PAGAI AANAL' THERE IS A BRILLIANT SONG IN THAT MOVIE WHICH COMES AT THE BEGINNING ITSELF. THAT IS 'KANGALUM KAVADI SINDHAADATTUM' BY LRE.

N Y MURALI
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Rare Songs of MSV All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: