"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kaviarasu Remembered

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhuraman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Kaviarasu Remembered Reply with quote

Dear Friends,

I gladly dedicate this 600th posting of mine to the glorious poet Kannadasan for the inmitable play of words that carried sense, story and beauty in a natural ensemble of beautytypical to his class. I owe this sense of appreciation to the latest episode in Mega TV 's ENDRUM MSV programme of last night [29-03-09].
Once again Director CV Rajendran came out in full blast, recalling the grandeur of Kaviarasu- Seviarasu Combination.To quote CVR 'it was the golden era of TF to be etched in golden letters'.It was just not a hollow sentiment of nostalgia but one founded on unmistakable appreciation of quality. CVR said with pain lit all over his face 'such nice songs are not coming up these days and [cine] people try to defend the trend as of portraying reality[yadhaartham]'. Obviously CVR was not convinced of the explanation and made it stark later as to what his judgment of the trend is. The episode opened with 2 MSVs - the current doyen sitting in his wellknown form and the celluloid version of 'avaLukkenna' of "Sever Sundaram" [45 yrs younger MSV] presented as clippings, as the song was played. At one point, CVR's adoration for Kannadsan turned boundless as he said Kaviarasu has surpassed the grand poet Kamban. As evidence, CVR recalled the phrase in 'muthukkaLo kaNgaL' that runs 'sandhiththa veLaiyil Sindhikka vE illai thandhuvittEn ennai' which portrays abject surrender in a form superior to Kamban's "aNNalum nokkinAn avaLum nokkinAL".
The song 'nALai mudhal kudikka maattEn' was played which also brought out Kaiarasu's forthright expressions not sparing even The Almighty in the couplet
'KadavuL en vAzhvil kadan kAran kavalaigaL theerndhAl kadan theerum , Yezhaigal vAzhvil viLaiyAdum iraiva nee kooda kudigAran'. How strongly KD chides the God for his indiscrimnate /merciless play with the downtrodden. Though a cinematic situation, the play of words reveal his mastery over the situation and utterance. MSV recalled how KD rapidly assembled the words in no time and CVR said it was a surprise that in a sitting KD can spin out 4-5 songs unabated in a bewildering speed and said it is just impossible to find the likes of Kannadasan. CVR wanted to hear the song 'EngaL kalyANam galAtta kalyANam' and was obliged. CVR said he was intially nervous to have a song at the climax. But, his confidence grew seeing the song 'nenjaththai aLLi' of KN turning out a grand success. At this point CVR said in emphatic terms that we knew MSV would score a fantastic number any day but to picturise it we may have to plan very well. He narrated how he [CVR] had to handle the 8 leading artistes in "Galatta kalyanam" . Towards the close of the programme he wished and prayed for MSV's health and said 'he has to be giving several such progrrammes to show that how the old songs are gems and prove that the new ones are 'kuppai' to recall his words. He also said Goddess Saraswathy would do the right things to MSV.Quite an honest utterance.
While chiding the trends of the day he said in clear terms 'Iam senior and I have the right to say what I find'. As it was time to wind up, CVR said 'any number of times I am willing to listen to MSV songs. Appreciating MSV's role as a producer, CVR recalled the glories of the song 'Thanga ratham vandhadhu of Kalaikoil and went into deep nostalgia and said it was a classic movie that did not find receptive audience. The song was played -also a grand tribute to Kannadasan. CVR said 'we say the singer has done well, but really it is the tune that made the singers look grand. How grank he is ! Let us ignore all those who have no sense to appreciate KD- MSV's calibre by recalling the adage "katrArai katrArae kAmuruvar'. Thank you CVR for your timely programme that coincided with my 600th posting on our site..
WARM REGARDS and RESPECTS TO KAVI ARASU KANNADSAN.
Prof.K.Raman Madurai.
parthavi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Professor,
Having watched the episode last night, I enjoyed your posting thouroughly. I would like to supplement one or two points. When CVR said, 'Listening to some songs, I will cry.' But before he could elaborate, MSV cut him short pointing out that the compere Aadhavan would become emotional even at the mention of some songs and then went on to play 'Engal kalyaanam.' I felt that CVR could have said something interesting but MSV, as he usually does, nipped the chance.

MSV also narrated how he himself gave the pallavi for the song with the lines, 'indru mudhal kudikka maatten sathiyamadi thangam, raathirikku thoonga vendum oothikaren konjam.' Kavignar instantly appreciated MSV's lines and took out some money from his pocket to reward MSV, but stopped, observing, "No drunkard will say...'indru mudhal kudikka matten.(Kavignar should know better!) So, I am changing the line to 'naaLai mudhal kudikka maatten' He also withdrew his 'reward' saying that since the replacement of 'indru' by 'naaLai' was a crucial change, he could not offer the reward to MSV for composing the lyrics!

On 'thanga ratham, CVR said that some songs are so good that whoever sings that song, it would sound great. He said he enjoyed the song sung rendered in the episode (Ananhu and Kalpana) as much as he enjoyed the original. He thus indirectly dispelled the impression that the song was good only because it was sung by Balamurali Krishna and asserted that the song was great because of its composition. He said that if he can have only 100 songs of MS, Thanga Ratham will be one of them, even the first in the list. When Aathavan asked about the raagaa of the song, MSV said that it starts in Abhogi note, sang the notes and said "then it changes." He then started praising Balamurali and how he would like learn Karnatic music from this genius. MSV's reluctance to discuss the raagaa base of his songs, which has been observed quite a few times, confirms the point made by several of our members well-versed in music that MSV does not stick to traditional raagaa forms though he uses some raagaa as a base. It appears that MSV does not wa,nt to discuss this lest it should stir any controversy. But if only he chooses to explain how he started with a particular raagaa and went on improvising, it will be a very valuable lesson to music lovers as well as to other music directors - both buddind and established ones!

Lastly, I fully endorse CVR's tribute to Kavignar but I feel that his comparison of Kamban's lines was not appropriate. He said 'aNNalum nokkinaan, avaLum nokkinaan' implies that there was a gap between the two looking at each other, while Kavignar's 'sandhiththa veLaiyil' indicates that the love was instantaneous. This would have been the case if Kamban had written, "ANNal Nokkinaan. AvaLum nokkinaL.' But Kamban has written, 'aNNalum...avaLum.'The use of double 'm' (aNNalum, avaLum) by Kamban is to register that both looked at each other at the same time. I had the opportunity of listening to Pulvar Keeran's discourses on Kamba RaamaayaNam in my younger days. Keeran would explain this line with the analogy of an accident to cite where two 'm's would be used. An eye witness of an accidenrt when grilled by the police would finally say, "sir, avanum vandhaan. ivanum vandhaan. rendu perum modhikkittanga!' when he is unable to say who was the first to hit the other.

In one of my posts, I have said that Kavignar's style is comparable to Kamban. Kamban can be compared only with KaNNadaasan and KaNNadaasan can be compared with only Kamban. But I still wanted to mention this because the redoubtable Kamban cannot be underrated.

I was impressed by CVR's openness, emotional outpourings and sincerity. All along, I did not have a good opinion about Director CVR, since I felt that he was retaking (copying) Hindi films scene by scene. But as a rasikaa, he stands very tall and as man, still taller! Hats off to him.

I have one more observation. I find that MSV has a weakness. He is unable to stand any praise. The moment someone praises him, he distracts the discussion. He did not allow ALR to praise him. CVR could have said more, if MSV had not been intervening.SPM was the only person, who could not be stopped by MSV.

Once when Aadhavan praised him for a song ( I think it was 'en uyir thozhi'), MSV said, 'But the credit should go to so many people.' Aadhavan quipped, "the best way to ensure that every one gets the credit is to give it to you first, because you will immdiately distribute it to everybody."

I think it will be better if Aadhavan talks to a celebrity when MSV is not present. This can go on for about 20 minutes and then MSV can be called in to participate. This will prevent MSV from preempting any appreciation due to him. Someone who has access to Aadhavan may suggest this to him.

Thanks and Regards.
ragasuda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Professor,
SIX HUNDREDS ... M(adhuraman) S(adhanaikku) V(anam)ae Ellai. Indha Arunooru Ayiramaga, latchangalaga maravendum. Nangal adhai padithu payanura vendum.
Nandri.
Dear Parthavi,
[quote="parthavi"]
I have one more observation. I find that MSV has a weakness. He is unable to stand any praise. The moment someone praises him, he distracts the discussion. He did not allow ALR to praise him. CVR could have said more, if MSV had not been intervening.SPM was the only person, who could not be stopped by MSV.

Once when Aadhavan praised him for a song ( I think it was 'en uyir thozhi'), MSV said, 'But the credit should go to so many people.' Aadhavan quipped, "the best way to ensure that every one gets the credit is to give it to you first, because you will immdiately distribute it to everybody."

I think it will be better if Aadhavan talks to a celebrity when MSV is not present. This can go on for about 20 minutes and then MSV can be called in to participate. This will prevent MSV from preempting any appreciation due to him. Someone who has access to Aadhavan may suggest this to him.

Thanks and Regards.[/quote]
True. I fully endorse your view. A slot should be allotted separately for celebrities to air their views which should be telecast without cut. As you say Kannadasan and Kamban have almost become synonymous. In fact, if at all Kannadasan was alive today, he would bring the cellphone into his poem and write thus:
Annalum Nokia, Avalum Nokia.
Raghavendran.
http://msvquiz.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilmsongs.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilms.blogspot.com/
http://mellisaititle.blogspot.com
madhuraman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Articles &Writings by Fans Reply with quote

Dear Friends in general and M/S Ramki and Vaidy,

In the light of the various on-goings in the media, the following item deserves richest attention and highest priority. Please impress upon MSV of certain ground realities. No doubt he is decency-personified and shuns public adoration. But if someone chooses to say a few words of praise, hereafter atleast MSV should politely receive them so that the other person makes tangible observations that drive points home the way [s]he desires. Poor MSV in his eagerness of not giving the impression of projecting himself, rather curtails the other person's enthusiasm and only very few people would have the spontanety to overcome MSV's intervention. He[MSV] being a respected individual the other person is forced into the shell. Already quite a few media people take delight by hiding MSV's name; MSV himself should not add to this calculated silence. When someone starts talking of MSV's glory in his/her own volition, MSV has to be an observer for his own good. May be MSV is not really aware of the extent of 'downplaying' that has cost the recognition for his otherwise praiseworthy career. So, Mr.Ramki and Mr.Vaidy , I, on behalf of all well wishers of MSV request you to personally apprise him of the value of sentiments expressed by others.
It would be a poor behaviour only if any individual tries SELF AGGRANDISEMENT - which MSV is never guilty of. All the same, he should permit the freedom of expression for others. If public adoration of someone by others is bad, my question to MSV is "WHY DO YOU WANT TO SING THE PRAISE OF OTHER MDs, ORCHESTRA ARTISTES, SINGERS AND OTHERS? If doing it for others is a delight for you, WHY DO YOU DENY THE OTHER [WO]MEN OF THEIR DELIGHT?" Please impress upon MSV that this is a special request from fans for him to passively accept encomia that come on their own, for, there is an element of personal freedom that too a selfless one that need not be nipped off in bud. Please do it on our behalf. Also provide me an occasion to meet the legend in my next trip to Chennai when I wish to express our sentiments on this issue that has been ignored by MSV. I hope our sentiments and hopes are not misplaced.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai.
Baskar CS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear prof

at some point of time you can complie ur writings and come out with a book with detailed chronology and other aspects .

you can also edit and add to make it a enjoyable reading

for example you had wrote cvs and muthuraman and other people.

you can give a clear heading on that and bring about a good work
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: