"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Y Gee Mahendra's Interview in Kalaignar TV 27.03.09
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ragasuda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: Y Gee Mahendra's Interview in Kalaignar TV 27.03.09 Reply with quote

Mr. Y. Gee. Mahendra was in conversation with Ramesh Prabha in Kalaignar TV on 27.03.09. He was recollecting his memories and shared them with us. While coming to music side, He EMPHASISED that there is only one MSV again staunchly. He paid tributes to Nanjundappa and did not fail to mention Noel and the team members of MSV. Though there are many number of music directors before and after him, Mr. YGeeM said it was only MSV who brought the film music close to the people. He said mds before MSV were highly classical and those who came after MSV .. well let's not tell any thing because there is nothing... He said he regarded 2 people unparallelled in the Tamil cinema - 1 Sivaji Ganesan and 2. MSV.

He does not fail to mention these 2 words any where or at any function.

Why shall not the core crew make use of him in future programmes? In fact he could readily coming forward to participate.
Raghavendran.
http://msvquiz.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilmsongs.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilms.blogspot.com/
http://mellisaititle.blogspot.com
Jeev

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject: Jaya TV - Thirumbiparkiren Reply with quote

Dear MSV Fans,

I watched Thirumbiparkiren on Jaya TV on Friday night. Producer Balajee praised Illayaraja for composing hit songs (?) for three of his films. He also praised Chanadrabose.

He did mention a word about Mellisai Mannar. MM composed music for 14 of his films.

Thangai
En Thambi
Thirudan
Engiruntho Vanthal
Raja
Neethi
En Magan
Unakkagha Naan
Billa
Sujatha
Thee
Saval
Theerpu
Thiravidan

MM also scored the background music for his hindi film Amardeep.

At least Balajee remembered Sivaji Ganeshan. Nandri ketta manithan.
Venugopalan Soundararajan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Thirumbip Paarkiren Reply with quote

Hi Raghavendran & Jeev,

Sorry, your postings missed my attention and I have written on the same subjects referred by you, in one of my postings on 30th March.

By the way, as you may be watching on Jaya TV, the celebrity in "Thirumbip Paarkiren" this week is the "Theyn Kuralon" PBS. On the first two days he made few mentions about our Master. But in the balance three days, I expect him to speak elaborately about the Legend, under whose music PBS sung majority of his songs and all of them were super hits and are still a craze amongst music lovers.

Regards,

Venu Soundar
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear friends,
The episodes of PBS were beautiful indeed. He kept mentioning MM's name (as "Visu anna") every now and then. It was heartening to note his thoughts about his (MM's) compositions and conversations, and made the episodes more livelier. One comment on the age: he said that he was younger eventhough our MM used to insist that he was younger to him! Young always at heart and thoughts! How nicely they (he included MM) commented on the 'younger brothers', giving credit to the next (present) generation upto ARR! A lesson to learn for others.
Sai Saravanan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: PBS in "Thirumbip Paarkiren" Reply with quote

Dear Mr Saravanan,

Of course, PBS did refer to MSV in several places as “Visu Anna”. But we expected him to talk about MSV at greater length, as he never forgets to admire the Legend and his greatness. Normally if he speaks for 5 mts on film music, at least 2 mts will be devoted to MSV. But it was almost a 2 hour programme (Mon-Fri, half an hour each day – but take into account the time consumed for Ads). Considering this, the reference to MSV by PBS was hardly anything.

As pointed out by some one else in another thread of this forum (sorry, I forgot the thread), I too feel Jaya TV is playing some mischief. At times, PBS’ talk on one subject was abruptly ending and jumped to another one. I am 100% sure PBS would have said much, much more on the Master, but the same has been edited out by Jaya TV for reasons unknown. Even I am sure, Balaji would not have failed to make a mention about our Master, but again…..???

For those who could not watch the prog, one very interesting incident mentioned by PBS was that his singing in the song “Thulli Thirindha Penn Onru” for “Kaathirundha Kangal” was a Track Singing, which is really amazing as it was done in 1962. PBS said he was in Salem and had recordings scheduled for him on Days 1 & 3. But in-between on Day 2, recording for “Thulli Thirindha…” was scheduled at Madras and accordingly he reached Madras on Day 2 mong. However, as the tunes and the orchestration were not ready till 6 PM, PBS requested MSV to release him as he had already committed for the Modern Theatres recording. MSV said, as a special case he will record the orchestra portion and keep a provision for track singing of PBS later. Accordingly, PBS' singing was recorded separately later.

Another interesting aspect of the song pointed out by PBS was the line “Thulli Thirindhadheninru”, which if you hear carefully is split as “Thulli Thirindhadhen Inru” at one place and “Thulli Thirindhadhe Ninru” at another place by the great Kannadasan, referring to the two characters of Savithri in the film.

Regards,

Venu Soundar
ragasuda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: PBS in "Thirumbip Paarkiren" Reply with quote

[quote="Venugopalan Soundararajan"]Dear Mr Saravanan,
As pointed out by some one else in another thread of this forum (sorry, I forgot the thread), I too feel Jaya TV is playing some mischief.
Regards,
[/quote]
Dear Venu Sir and friends,
This kind of feeling prevails among almost all the fans of MSV. Take the special then kinnams on Mondays for instance. None of the guests fails to play songs composed by MM. Many guests mention each and every artiste involved in a particular song at times, but seldom mention is found on MM. Definitely those guests would not have the heavy heart to miss the name of MM. But for the reasons unknown to us, we find MM's name skipped. We do not bother about other channels which least bother to telecast old songs except Mega TV of course. But Jaya TV when it has so many films of rarity in its collection and is giving so much importance to old classiques, it definitely makes wonder what might be the reason. We hope such attitude changes at their end.
Regards,
Raghavendran.
http://msvquiz.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilmsongs.blogspot.com/
http://oldtamilfilms.blogspot.com/
http://mellisaititle.blogspot.com
madhuraman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Articles &Writings by Fans Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
The programme 'Thirumbiparkkiraen' by PBS on Jaya TV was an utter flop even by any chivalrous estimate. The man who owes his prominence to MSV did not bother to speak openly of MM's inimitable prowess as a composer. Rather he spent substantial time to tell us that he has sung for Sivaji, MGR, Gemini, Muthuraman , Ravichandran, SSR, TR Ramachandran and KAThangavelu. On the other hand, he availed of the occasion to eulogize IR and ARR rather disproportionately. He has cleverly played down the value of MSV just by saying 'Anna' here and there.
With all his prowess for writing in 8+ languages, he was groping for words and spent time reorganizing the unwieldy mega cloth flowing uncomfortably from his person. Had he invited MSV to say a few words on him, definitely MSV would have done better justice to the task and programme. MSV is uncomfortable only when someone talks of him [MSV] but has a liberal appreciation of talent from elsewhere.
Also PBS did not organize even the right sequence of songs in portraying the abundant clarity of lyric and compositional elegance. PBS did not measure up to the thankfulness expected of him. It was a week long flop.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai.
madhuraman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Articles and Writings by Fans Reply with quote

Dear Dr SR Shankar,
You have raised a few points on the issue of AMRaja being replaced by PBS and how MSV systematically nurtured PBS despite AM Raja's well established credentials as singer. It was not as if MSV tilted scales to destabilize AMR. If you recall the events those days, AMR expanded his domain into composing because he was quite adept as MD in composing songs. He was also ambitious of retaining a place as MD. Quite a few Sridhar projects were assigned to AMR for MD's role. Like certain disasters, human mind destabilizes itself by some assumptions and high -handed behaviour. It is too well known that AMR refused to score music for CVS's "Nenjil ore aalayam" and returned the cheque issued as advance. CVS was emerging then as a trend setter by his skillful use of camera , crisp dialogues and finer nuances of Direction-cum story telling. Obviously AMR had irritated CVS who switched over to VR. With very great difficulty MSV accepted the offer after thoroughly ascertaining that he was not robbing AMR of his business with his traditional group in CVS. Thereafter, MSV never looked back as MD. At this movie N O A artistes were new and MD could use PBS for Muthuraman and AL Raghavan for Kalyana kumar. As you have said barring a few KVM offers ,PBS had his ascension by the blessings of MSV. His own song phrase "nandri ketta mAndharAdA nAn arindha pAdamadA' ably fits to describe his effective recalling of trivial occasions and not-so-important personalities in his career while managing to forget the mentor. In this coneection some one has doubted if Jaya TV has played a mischief editing such references to the legend. If the participant keeps on repeating honestly the brutal realities how much can be edited off. See for instance, actress Sachu appeared in the same programme last night and narrated in clear terms how MSV taught her the nuances of singing a song in "Devadoss" and said 'even now I refer this to MSV'. Why they have not edited it? Obviously if the narration is done at crucial spots, editing can not be done without spoiling the show. After all, PBS did not manage to select much better songs, revealing that he was only interested in appearing on the TV. MSV is a colossus whose achievements can not be hidden by any one, because, for good songs you have to listen to his compositions. Many later song products have vapourized, if you need any evidence for this contention.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai.
Baskar CS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear prof and freinds

with regard to balaje an dpbs i feel we can excuse as i feel both of them could have forgotten or remembered to forget MM adn i having moved with both the persons can surely say that they are not that typpe .but somehow it has happened and still it is a mistake .
it was me who had told about the editing flaw but how that can happen again in pBS
besides both of them are beyond 70's and we people who see art for art and heart too can leave this for the sake of their capabilities and age factor
parthavi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear friends,

I watched only one episode featuring PBS and I was also disappointed with PBS' performance, not only for his failing to make adequate references to MSV, but also for the lack of direction and cogency in his entire presentation. Part of this is definitely attributable to the channel. I had a passing glance of the titles at the end and was surprised to fine someone being given credit as the script writer (I don't recall the exact phrase in Tamil but it closely means that). People who script such programs have their own ideas of what their audience would like to hear.

In my opinion, PBS had never been articulate in his public performances. He talks a lot but with very little coherence. Now, age also seems to have caught up with him. Often, he was struggling for continuity and completion of his sentences. I think that his failure to make significant references to MSV, except in passing, was not intentional. It might just have happened that way. But it is true that he was more interested in self-projection. He boasted about writing two lakh and odd poems in several languages. (Is this feasible, I wonder!) He said all his songs were hits, all his songs with TMS were hits and so on.

I happened to watch PBS on Sunday in Raagamaalikaa program of Jaya TV. That episode was only on 'Aayiraththil oruvan' songs. TKR and PBS were guests. Here he showered praises on VR. One may say, he had no other option given the facts that the episode featured 'Aayiraththil oruvan' songs and that TKR was sitting next to him! He recited the background score (prelude) of Naalaam Naalaam from Kadalika Neramillai and expressed his admiration for such a long and rich background score. He said that this itself was like another tune and one can compose a song using this as a tune. He also said about Unnai Naan sandhiththen that it was one of the best songs of PS and is among the top 10 Tamil film songs of all times. He explained how the heroine's emotion was packed into this song.

I found that the compere Balaji was very effusive and articulate in praising the music score of Aayiraththil oruvan and VR. I have seen him doing it in several other episodes also. The next few weeks will feature Sivaji and Gemini songs. Those who are free on Sundays may watch these episodes. I think the timings are from 10 am to 11 am. However, pl check up and confirm, since I am not sure. Normally, I am not home on Sunday mornings and I happened to watch this last Sunday, when I as home. I think there is a repeat telecast in the night on some other day. But I am not sure of the timings. As long as Balaji is the compere, this program will be worth watching!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Friends,

I still feel the channel had played foul and did not present the narrations of the personality "as it is". As I had mentioned in my earlier posting, if you had watched carefully PBS' talk on one subject was suddenly closing and jumping to another topic without proper relation or any thing. There was no "korvai" at all, which I feel is due to very bad editing. At many places the talk was faded out abruptly.

Above every thing, every one knows (forget MSV fans) almost 90% of PBS' songs were composed by MSV and all of them were super hits. In this scenario, during the title of the programme so many photos were shown showing PBS with other film personalities. But there was not a single photo of PBS with MSV. How come???

Mr Rengaswami, "Ragamalika" is repeated on Saturday nights at 11.30 PM. Also, I feel Mr Balaji (the compere on Jaya TV) never gives due credit to MSV as he does for IR. Even during the earlier weeks (Director Sreedhar special), he was showering high praises on Sreedhar for giving such super hit songs, as if the songs were composed by the Director himself. Agreed, Sreedhar was a great Director and his picturization of songs were always special. But how can you deprive due credit to the MD who is 90% responsible (if not entire 100%) in making the songs such hits and most memorable even after 40-50 years, due to his magical music.

To give an example, some one had mentioned earlier (kindly excuse me for not remembering the names) that he has not seen the movie "Praptham", but was amazed at the composing of "Sondham Eppodhum Thodarkathaithan". This only goes to prove that for enjoying a song, it is not necessary to see the movie for the picturization of the song or the acting done for it or the context in which the song appears in the film, etc. OK, at times lyric play a good role in making the song more meaningful. But, it is the music, music and only good music that goes to make a song stamped indelibly in the hearts of the music lover for ever.

As such, it is paining that MSV is never given the due credit that he rightfully deserves.

Regards,

Venu Soundar
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Freinds,
I request all not to jump in to conclusion about PBS, and Balaji. I feel PBS is one person who never forgets to mention about MSV. In fact he mentioned in one of the programme 'Rasigan' in 'Kalingar TV' in which I participated that if he forgets the contribution of MSV in his career would be 'Sei Nnadri Kondra Paavam'. So I feel he would have talked much about MSV but the channel had placed spolisport. Any way the best way is to ask PBS himself. We shall try to find out what happened there and if it happened to be true we all should sign a memo and send it to Jaya TV.

The same could have happened for Balaji. I could not imagine PBS not talking about MSV when he talked even about Yuvan Shnakar Raja for whom he has sung only 4 lines.

N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr Murali,

This is exactly what I have been saying. As I mentioned earlier, from our experience we have always seen that PBS is a huge admirer of MSV and if he talks for 5 mts on film music, at least 2-3 mts out of that will be devoted to our great MSV. That's why our doubt on the channel playing foul is increasing.

You are absolutely correct. The matter should be checked with PBS himself (if not with Mr Balaji also) and if it is found true that the channel has played spoilsport, then MSV Times should take up the matter with them in an appropriate manner.

I am still waiting for your reply in the other thread.

Regards,

Venu Soundar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Friends,

Let me quote another example. Recently in the "Super Singer" prog on Vijay TV, PBS was the special guest (my daughter Mathangi was also a participant there, but got eliminated half way for reasons other than singing - for your information, she was the Winner of SPB's "Ennodu Paattu Paadungal" on Jaya TV - series 3 that concluded last July and was Runner Up in "Athiradi Singer", which is currently on in Sun TV and has reached the semi-final stage. Her SF performance is to be telecast this Sat - 11th).

One of the judges of the prog, Mr Sreenivas sang "Nilave Ennidam Nerungadhe". At the end, PBS didn't comment anything on Mr Sreenivas's singing except "Indha Madhiri Ragathila Indha Madhiri oru Tune-a idhuvaraikkum yaarum pottadhilley, podavum mudiyadhu, it is possible by the one and only MSV".

Talking of Mr Sreenivas singing "Nilave...", he sang it at the "MSV-Andha Naal Gnyabagam" show which was organized by Vasanth TV at the YMCA grounds, Chennai, on 21st Dec'08 (as I happened to be in Chennai that time, I attended the show). To be frank, Mr Sreenivas could not sing it to even 50% perfection. He struggled for breath and "sodhappified" the song. It only showed how difficult is this number to sing, especially on stage. But Sreenivas's singing on Vijay TV was far better - may be after several rehearsals & re-takes it might have got recorded.

Regards,

Venu Soundar
Baskar CS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

going by the posts of the earlier ones i only feel that both balaje and pbs are really not that bad to forget and speak nothing about MM .
it is happening in all channels where the programmers who are of in learly 30's may not be even aware that they have got gems in front of them like the works of mm ,pbs et al

pbs once said that he became a hero overnite and he gave the credit to mm

we should jump to conclusion just like that
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: