"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Handful of Piano Picks - Part 25 - "Layam"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhuraman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Articles &Writings by Fans - Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Ram,
You have brought out yet another 'beauty'.This time on 'layam' an integral element that touches the listeners' soul. With no knowledge on the fine issues involved, all I can feel is -something great is being explained. I am simultaneously sad that I am technically impoverished in knowledge and still happy that God has given me some semblance of understanding of the language.
Any reader's inability can not in any manner rob the author's eloquence on the subject. Certainly these interpretaions of yours are items that bridge the mental gaps that people suffer from in not being able to enjoy the different forms /genres of music. There is enough material in your write-up that looks up a concept in great objectivity. Any appreciative adjective of mine on your piece would just be a pale compliment unable to stand in justification of the attempt.
So, I choose to say -May GOD bless you.
What I feel is , we need a thread exclusive for Technical domains to avoid a mixing of varied thoughts under the broad head 'Articles by fans'.
I hope the call is not mistimed.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai.
parthavi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ram,

I cannot add anything beyond what the scholarly professor has so crisply observed. Reading your article made me understand the meaning of the word "awe" in a deeper dimension.

I am astonished at the versatality of your knowledge and range of references. In addition to your deep knowledge of various genres of music, you are also updated on Tamil film music including the title music of TV serials!

I would say that the common objective of all of us in bringing to limelight the uniqueness and matchless greatness of MSV is immensely strengthened by having such connoisseurs like you in our group. Analysis by people like you definitely brings in high credibility and authenticity to the views of the group.

May your efforts continue for ever.

I have the advantage of age to wish you and bless you for your efforts.
Vatsan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Resp Reply with quote

Ram, that was a brilliant article.
As one of the forumers had remarked, when a song is set to kaNda nadai, the melody is often staccato and sounds abruptly "broken". We have quite a few songs in TFM set to kaNda nadai and sound broken into pieces as the nadai seems to be demanding !!!! .......all those do not happen when MSV sets a tune to kaNda nadai as in 'nal vAzhvu nAm kANa varavENdum Sridevi" from veettukku veedu set to chaste Ananda Bhairavi by MSV. There is not one point where the melody is broken or made to sound like several pieces "occuring" together within 3.5 minutes and therefore being called a melody Smile MSV managed to carve out a niche here as well.

Tumba Sekhar was telling us that 'sonnathu neethAnA' is set to a 11 beat cycle !!!!
N Y MURALI

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ram,
This is indeed a great article. You have to keep writing more and more as many of the posting do not cover this facet of MSV. Next time when you come to India you must spend 1/2 day with us to personally explain this aspect

Regards,

N Y MURALI
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: