"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ANY SONGS BY MSV IN 5/4 AND 7/4 TIMINGS
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Comments, Questions, Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear MSV Fans and friends,
I have been thinking for a very long time ,after seeing this querry, why MSV the great did not use this time 5/4 OR 7/4 pattern or rhythm for many songs and could not really understand the reason.

It is wonderful to hear songs in this Time signature.

The intro to one of the great songs by Mr K.V.Mahadevan for the song "Mannavan Vandhanadi" by P.Suseela. is in 5/4 and the song is in 4/4.
When I heard this it struck me as a possible explanation for the paucity of songs in 5/4 or 7/4 by MSV.

MSV is a very very lively person.Those who have seen him ,even now ,and in the earlier days, on the stage would have noticed he loves a lively rendering of his songs.He nearly dances and is like a child multitasking trying to play the Harmonium , conduct and dance and in the process has to take care of his dress also.

One major observation is that even in slow sad songs he keeps changing the lilt of the song to break the monotony and also to express the change in mood and meaning.

There are a thousand examples as he has composed much more. I will give a few for your analysis. I hope I am right. Would love a feed back.

1. Neeyo Nano Yar Nilavae[Mannadhi mannan.]p PBS /SUSEELA/JAMUNA
2. Ninaipadhellam Nadandhuvittal [Nenjil Or Alayam]PBS.
3. NinaikkaTherindhaManamae. P.Suseela.
4. Nilavukku En mel Ennadi Kobam. [Policekaran Magazh]PBS

In all these songs the feel ,syntax,or lilt keep changing without any change in the basic time signature ,making it a heaven for the tablist to show his talent in expressing feelings and delighting all of us.

The time signature of 5/4/ or 7/4 may not have the leverage for this to the satisfaction of the composer.If so it may be enjoyed only by trained ears.

While trying to change the style of Strumming[Stroking the strings] on the guitar I have noticed this limitation in 5/4. Except in a jazz song called Take Five by Dave Brubeck [ Piano and Sax with a drum solo]. where the timing is reversed 1-2-3/1-2 to a bar.
In Carnatic it is usually 1-2/1-2-3. They, 5/4/ 0r 7/4 are great for playing Bass .

I wonder if this was the reason KVM also did not continue with 5/4 in the song.

In almost all the fast numbers he never keeps the same rhythm.
This perhaps is one of the reasons his songs never fade away or create a sense of satisfaction to the point of getting bored [THEGATTI POVADHILLAI]. Sorry! I cannot find an equivalent word in English.

I would like to experiment the with" Thamizh Thai Vazhthu" in 5/4 and see what comes out.
The present style of "Looping" fixed percussion and rhythm patterns available from plug ins and music software has killed this aspect of music.
Thanks for reading,
Chakravarthy.
Baskar CS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Chakravarthy,

i do not know 5/4 ro anyother thing ,but which MD has the courage and honesty to say that there is already tune in the song and his job is only to take it out.

looking fresh with out having any raga in mind is a thing which has no mindset and also open for CHANGE .

just let us take a song and imagine a tune of our own in our own time and am sure we cannot

there he had developed a skill ,knack and his understanding worked .

i am bereft of words . a genius
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Comments, Questions, Suggestions All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: