"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UNBELIEVABLE RENDERING OF ABOHI BY GANGAI AMARAN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Tamil Film History, TFM Composers, Directors, Actors, Movies & Music (General Topics)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juja14

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: UNBELIEVABLE RENDERING OF ABOHI BY GANGAI AMARAN Reply with quote

In the early 1980s a film called "Veli Illa Mamaram" appeared. At that time I was studying in a school. But somehow that song impressed me so much even then. That song goes like this "Oru Maanai Theduthur Maan Vizhi, Intha Maanai Thedhuthu Thirumaran Kadal Vizhi". This song was written as well as set to music by Gangai Amaran. The opening of the song drags down slowly to the Pallavi with Veenai as a background music.The song was sung by a singer called Ashok and accompanied by S.Janaki. One would really be mesmerised by the background music and the slow moving rhythm of the song. That song would very much resemble Balamurali Krishna's "Thanga Ratham Vandhathathu". but this I have come to know very later. Gangai Amaran never considered himself a serious music director and even the world thinks so. But this song is a gem and composed with precision. One would definitely be reminded of a nice evening with a gentle breeze hitting against your body with all your cares and burdens forever,when listening to this song. Again I have never heard this song on anyother station but on Srilanka Broadcasting Corporation(Ceylon Radio). Hats off to Gangai Amaran for this nice contribution. Those who have heard this song and would like to say something on this are welcome. juja14@sify.com. Very Happy [/b]
P. Sankar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good songs composed by Gangai Amaran:

1. Songs from Mouna Geethangal
2. Kaadhal vaiboghamey (Suvar Illatha Sithirangal)
4. Oru kadhal enbathu (Chinnathambi periya thambi)
3. Ponmanathedi naanum poovodu vanthen.
A superhit song, which was repeatedly aired in Radio in those days. Now in a recent Television interview Gangai Amaran said: "The producer of the film ENGA OOOR RAASATTHI wanted a pathos for his film and he wanted it to be a hit song like the one in PADAGOTTI. I said why a song to remember that one. Let me just take the same song and redo it now. And the job was easy for me. The song the producer qouted was "PATTUKKU PAATEDUTHU" and the popular song of mine is "ponmaanathedi". MSV Annan is our library for us. So much variety in his songs and they are there for us to pick and create any new version."

P. Sankar -Tirunelveli
tsmuthu2000

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sometime back I heard a beautiful 80's number composed by Gangai Amaran. The Song is "Isaikkavo nam kalyana raagam, kan moodi mounamai vaana vedhiyil oorkolam poogum neram". It was tough find, But I was happy to hear this song after a Long time

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Juja,
I find from your postings that you are exposed to music of various MDs and really enjoy them even if it is just one song. This is a hallmark of a true music lover and hence your admiration and being a part of this forum makes it more authentic.
I would like to know in which picture the song " Poothirindhu Kathirundha Kulamagazh Polae" sung by P.Suseela figured and who was the MD. I am told it is from the film "Vazhai Adi Vazhai". Many of the MDs close to the period of MSV were influenced by MSVs style.
However this song seems to figure in its trait many years later in "Anjali en Anjali' in the film " Duet". I would like your comment on this.
Thanks,
Chakravarthy.
parthavi

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gangai Amran in one of his TV interviews had the magnanimity to reveal that his 'pon maanai thedi' was inspired from 'Paatttukku paatteduthu' of Padagotti. He also song the pallavis of both the songs and demonstrated how he adopted the tune. Considering that the similarities between the two songs won't be obvious to most of the people, except for the gifted few with a keen sense of music, his revealing this voluntarily is commendable.

'vidugathai ondru, thodarkathai ondru' from 'oru vidukathai oru thodarkathai' is another pleasing number from this unassuming music director cum lyricist cum script-writer cum director cum TV compere, who always seems to be aware of his limitations!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Tamil Film History, TFM Composers, Directors, Actors, Movies & Music (General Topics) All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: