"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MOST DIFFICULT COMPOSTIONS OF THE LEGEND!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Venugopalan Soundararajan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: MOST DIFFICULT COMPOSTIONS OF THE LEGEND!! Reply with quote

HERE ARE SOME MOST DIFFICULT COMPOSITIONS OF THE LEGEND. CREDIT FOR THE SUCCESS OF THESE SONGS IN THE MOVIES SHOULD ENTIRELY GO TO THE MASTER:

Neeye Unakku Enrum Nigaranavan (Bale Paandiya)
As you know, the song is purely Carnatic based. But to bring the comedy effect in to the song is almost a Herculean task. The Director must have just told him the situation. Even the lyric is only 1/4th and the balance 3/4th is “Aalapanai”, where MSV has composed so beautifully to bring in the comedy effect, especially the type of ‘konnakkol’ done for M.R. Radha. Ohhh I have no words to praise him for this - only the Master can do it.

Andha Naal Gnyabagam (Uyarndha Manidhan)
As you know, the song has a mixture of jogging, gasping, some dialogues, an emotional touch in between etc. It will be easy for the Director to explain the situation in the movie. But to come out with such a great composition blending all the above in a wonderful manner – again, the one and only MSV can do it.

Sakka Podu Podu Raaja (Bharatha Vilas)
A song sung by the Hero and his “Manasaatchi” in a conflicting manner. Again a difficult one, but composed superbly and with ease.

Anru Oomaip Pennallo (Paarthal Pasi Theerum)
This may be a first of its kind song where Gemini teaches Savithri Tamil, starting from அ,ஆ and idaiyinam, vallinam, etc. Just imagine, Direcor Bhimsingh must have just told MSV that the Hero should teach the Heroine. But to do the teaching musically, it needs a Legend called MSV.

Vaarayo Thozhi Vaarayo (Paasa Malar)
Must be another first, with the Marriage Manthras wonderfully mixed in between the stanzas, with the excellent accompaniment of Nadaswaram and Thavil.

Poo Mudippal Indhap Poongazhali (Nenjirukkumvarai)
Another Marriage related song, where the “Kalyana Pathirikai Padithal” is performed by the Hero in singing format. Yet another great work of the Master.

Vaadiyamma Vaadi (Panakkara Kudumbam)
Again the first in Tamil films – a song composed for the “Kabaddi” game with the mixing of “kabaddi, kabaddi” & “tho tho tho tho”. Not so easy to do it.

Parakkum Pandhu Parakkum (Panakkara Kudumbam)
Again the same movie, this time its the game of Badminton. To compose such a melodious number for a situation where the Hero and Heroine plays Badminton, with the sound of striking the Ball making the “thaalam” – I am searching for words again (I don’t know whether you people know, the sound of the Ball was done by Sadan by putting the finger into his mounth and tweaking it)

Nee Enbadhenna Naan Enbadhenna (Vennira Aadai)
What a number. In the movie situation, it is to be sung by a person who is mentally not ok. Accordingly, MSV has composed one of the most difficult songs. It is equally sung well by LRE. The interlude music is done keeping in mind the ‘seshtaigal’ of the mental person. Explaining the situation is easy for the Director and writing the lyric is also not that tough. But to compose such a number….. again I am in search of words.

Kadavul Amaithu Vaitha Medai (Aval Oru Thodar Kathai)
What a song with sounds of so many animals excellent mimicked – again by our friend Sadan. KB must have come out with such a song, just keeping in mind MSV only.

Junior Junior Junior (Avargal)
Again a tough song, wherein ‘Ventriloquism’ is imaginatively mixed. Again it shows KB’s confidence in MSV.

Naan Pottal Theriyum Podu (Enga Paappa)
It is a song where the hero fights and hits the villains (I have not seen the movie. But from hearing the song, we can make out the situation). MSV has done a wonderful job by meticulously mixing the “dishyum, dishyum” sounds in between.

Sirippu Varudhu Sirippu Varudhu (Aandavan Kattalai)
To go with the Pallavi of the song, MSV has superbly adopted the wild laughter of Chandrababu in the song.

Pattathu Raani (Sivandha Mann)
The song is already well known for the great orchestration with usage of a large number of Violins, Trumpets, etc. As you all know, the song is sprinkled with some “Chaattai Adi” with a count. MSV has again done a great job by shrewdly mixing the “Chattai Adi” sound. Another all time hit of the Master.

Naan Enral Adhu Avalum Naanum (Suriyakandhi)
A most melodious number, which is sung by the hero with his wife, after winning a “Made for Each Other” competition (though they pretend to be “made for each other”, they are the opposite in reality in the movie). The dialogues rendered by Jayalalitha in her own voice, are astutely blended in between SPB’s magical singing.

The Family Planning propaganda song (Server Sundaram)
It is a ‘jugalbandhi’ song and a lengthy one, with all styles of music fantastically composed.

Utharavinri Ulle Vaa (Utharavinri Ulle Vaa)
Another ‘jugalbandhi’ number, superbly crafted by the Master.

There are many more such songs, where the song situations are created by the Directors, by just heavily depending on MSV and MSV only. The Directors involved for the above songs are all great, viz. P.R. Banthulu, A.Bhimsingh, Krishnan-Panju, Sridhar, K. Balachander, T.R. Ramanna, A. Tirulogachander, K. Sankar and Muktha Srinivasan.

With Luv,
Venu Soundar
srandy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: MOST DIFFICULT COMPOSTIONS OF THE LEGEND!! Reply with quote

Venugopalan Soundararajan wrote:
HERE ARE SOME MOST DIFFICULT COMPOSITIONS OF THE LEGEND. CREDIT FOR THE SUCCESS OF THESE SONGS IN THE MOVIES SHOULD ENTIRELY GO TO THE MASTER:

With Luv,
Venu Soundar

soooooooooooooper..... It was in my thoughts to list out something like this... and you have done it Venu.... pranams... keep it going : ) You've just shown the top tip of the iceberg!!!

I am sure the "technically sound" members would have a lot more in the list... : ))

Cheers
&y
tvsankar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Venu,
NIce topic. Excellent picks.
Unga list il indha padalgalai sollalama?

1.Ninaithalae inikum -- Orae vari.Oru padalaga seidha muyarchi...

2.Velli kinnandhan - PS in hummming - Nichayam Spl dhan...

3.Nenjathilae nee netru vandhai - Vizhil Sound.. PS ku reply pannuvadhu pol.....

4.Chithirai madham pournami neram -- Train Sound....

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Some More Difficult Compositions of the Legend. Reply with quote

Dear Usha & Saradha,

Thanks for the additions.

I would like to add the following numbers also to the list:

Ponaal Pogattum Poda (Paalum Pazhamum)
With various difficult sounds of the birds, owl, etc wonderfully mixed in the song.

Neeyum Naanuma Kannaa Neeyum Naanuma (Gowravam)
Before the last stanza, there is a long interlude when the elder Sivaji looks into the Chess Board and imagines himself as the King on one side and the youger Sivaji as the King on the opposite side. The Music for this sequence is fantastically composed by the Music King. Even in the middle of the last stanza, there is a wonderful chorus voice when the coins are moved.

Aha Enna Porutham Namakkul Indha Porutham (Rahasiya Police 115)
The hero & heroine pretends to be fine with each other in front of the father, but fights otherwise. Some dialogues are also mixed in between. On the whole, a superbly composed song by the Master.

Adi Saridhan Podi Vaayadi (Poova Thalaiya)
Again, the song is picturized as the Hero & Heroine are fighting. The Legend has beautifully composed with Drum beats thundering to reflect the fighting mood and the words like “Maanamirukkaa, Eenamirukka, Menmaiyirukka, Unakkuuuuu Penmaiyiruka” pronounced in such a way that one can make out the intensity of the fight. Again a superb work of the Legend.

Solladhe Yaarum Kettaal (Sorgam)
A song sung in drunken state by Sivaji in the film. In the interludes, there is a Kathaa Kaalatchepam, a Political Meeting, etc. Again a tough number, but composed with ease by the Melody King.

Long Live MSV and his Musical Magic.

Regards,
Venu Soundar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: One and only MSV. Reply with quote

மிகச் சரியாகச் சொன்னீர்கள் சாரதா. கவிஞர் வாலியின் கருத்துக்களும் நூற்றுக்கு நூறு சரி. இந்தப் பகுதியில் நாம் குறிப்பிட்டிருக்கும் அனைத்துப் பாடல்களையும் MSV ஒருவர் மட்டுமே படைக்க முடியும்.

மெல்லிசை மன்னர் நூறாண்டு காலம் நலமுடன் வாழ்ந்து நம்மையெல்லாம் மேலும் மகிழ்விக்க கடவுளை பிரார்த்திப்போம்.

அன்பன்
வேணு சௌந்தர்
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Venu & Sharadha Reply with quote

Enna Venu & Sharadha,

Pora pokkai paarhtal Legend rankai naalaikey thottu viduveergal polirukiradhu. Engalukkum ethavathu ezhutha vittu vaingalen!!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
s.r.sankaranarayanan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEAR VENU,

One more brief number for a fight sequence similar to one from enga paapa mentioned by you is

thatti ketka aalillainna thambi sanda prasandan from "ninaithale inikkum".Rajini will be thrashing to the "thom thom" solkattus.after the solkattus,song fades with the line

thalaivaliccha kaalukku marundu,
--------------------------------------( i coudn"t recollect the lines)'
fades with jalra sounds.
innovatively adapted with classical tints for an unusual situation with SPB's
voice pyrotechnics,

i suppose the number has shades of nadanamakkriya.enlighten me.

s.r.sankaranarayanan
Ram

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread deserves a special mention, as instead of just numbering the songs, Venu has given reason for that in a single line. That multiplies the value of that post. It is indeed a great idea of Venu and it would be very useful and interesting if others also adopt this idea, while giving a song list (We can just try wherever possible).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Listing of Songs. Reply with quote

Dear Ram,

Thanks for your appreciation. Since my topic was "Most Difficult Compositions of MSV", I could give a description to each song as to why it was a difficult compostion. However, the same will not be possible when I just list songs under certain word category like "Kannan", "Muthu", etc.

I am planning to come out with few more lists under a specific word, where I will be in a position to just list out the songs. Hope this should be o.k.

Luv,
Venu Soundar
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: TOUGHEST YET MADE TO LOOK EASY!!! Reply with quote

Dear Venu,

Your toughest compositions of MSV is a great thread and My toughest that I listened to is "Sakka Podu Podu Raaja" from Bharatha Vilas.

Imagine the situation of the song - emotional outcry of an individual against his conscience beautifully picturised and unimaginably scored by our Master Creator - This is a typical MSV master piece scored for a dialogue and not a song!!!!! The orchestation also gets woven with the song beautifully thus making us listen to it all over again & again!!!

YET ANOTHER IMMORTAL TUNE BY OUR ONE & ONLY MSV!!!

LONG LIVE MSV

MSV SCORES!!!
VAIDY
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another interesting analysis dear Venugopa S Smile

Honestly, I wonder , which thread to be concentrated now as everyone is coming up with gems of the master Very Happy . I feel like already having missed out many now !

True. There were many tough songs composed by MSV.

Probably the toughest situation he might have faced was while composing Angum ingum paadhai undu ( Avargal )

I believe K.B. , Kavignar & MSV were all in one marriage function & suddenly KB announced everyone that he will be giving a situation for which both will come out with a song Shocked

Again, I understand, MSV was a bit hesitant but Kavignar was geared up immediately & within few minutes, this song was sturctured !

And what a beauty it turned out to be finally !
irenehastings

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic also very nice to read.

There are somany interesting matters described here.
Venkat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sankaranarayanan,

thalaivaliccha kaalukku marundu,
--------------------------------------( i coudn"t recollect the lines)'

The next line is "thalai senja thappuku kaaluku vilangu..."

Ninaithale Enikum songs anaithume difficult compositions dhan...

In every song, oru pudhumaya kaiaandruppaar...
s ramaswamy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Some other songs which I feel would have tested the maestro(s) abilities to the fullest extent.

1. Nenjam Marappadillai (title song): The haunting melody in the voices of PBS and PS cannot be forgotten easily. I am told MSV took almost six months to come up with this everlasting no.

2. Enge Nimmadhi from Puthiya Paravai: The beauty of this song by TMS is not only the no of musical instruments used (biggest ever assembled in TFM at that point of time) but also the ability of the common fan to recall each and every strain of the various instruments when he or she remembers this song. That's the hallmark of a truly outstanding composition.

3. En Vaazhvil Pudupaadai Kanden from Thangappadumai: Another glorious melody from the MSV-TKR stable sung with great felicity by the one and only PS. The violin preludes and interludes are difficult to match. The conceptualisation and orchestration of this song must have taken the maestros quite some time.

4. The TMS-PS duet in En Kadamai, "Yaaradu Yaaradu thangama". The way the music waltzes its way. Beautifully composed and who else could have done that but the maestros!
Ram

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ramaswamy,

The four songs you've listed definitely would have been a tough task for the Masters, but, the resultant as we all know, are immortals...!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Songs Composed by MSV-TKR and MSV All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: