"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MSV excelled in remakes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raghavan vasudevan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: MSV excelled in remakes. Reply with quote

Dear Music lovers,

As we are aware in the 60s and 70s a lot of films were remade from Hindi to
Tamil and vice versa. In many such remakes MSV had composed films. Having heard majority of songs in both the languages I can say the composition of MSV was better, melodious and even more popular than the Hindi version,

Example. Sarvar Sundaram was remade as Main Sundar Hoon. In the Tamil version all the songs were hit while in Hindi it was just one song hit (Aaj Main jawan hogaye by Lata)

2. Kadalikka Neramillai was made in Hindi as Pyar Kiya Jaa. Songs of Kadalikka Neramillai is even today a great hit. while in Hindi only two songs were hit.

What a racy number it was viswanathan velai venum - a song which may even make Elvis Presly or Johny Trivolta to dance.

3. Dharthi and Sivanda Mann were made simultaneously by Sridhar. While there were many catchy/popular songs in Tamil in Hindi version there were only two hits.

4. Nenjil Orum Alayam and Dil Ek Mandir were again almost simultanously made and although in Hindi version Shankar jaikishan compositions were excellent but MSV-Ramamurthy excelled as today it is Tamil version which is in our memory.

5. Vazkai Padagu carried a few beautiful numbers while Zindage had just one or two popular songs.

The list goes on. What I would like to conclude is In Hindi music world orchestration was very rich as their music directors engaged many musicians and better sound technology compared to South. Even with less musicians MSV and Ramamurthy compsitions were far better and has withstood the test of time.

This is one more feather in the crowded crown of Mellisai Mannar.
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice topic. MSV excelled in remakes . There are movies like :

1. Sivakamiyin selvan ( Aradhana )
2. Thillumullu ( Golmal )
3. Raja ( Johny mera naam )
4. Urimai Kural ( Telugu movie )
5. Nalai namadhey ( Yadon ki barath )

It’s a big list actually. I haven’t come across any singly tune resembling the original movie ! That’s Mellisai Mannar MSV
tvvraghavan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Nice Topic Reply with quote

Dear RK
That is really a nice topic to discuss. I completely agree to your point and woud like to add more to the list :

1. Paalum Pazhamum was remade as "SAATHI" in Hindi for which MSV was supposed to have scored music. But because the of biased Bollywood industry , the music was scored by Naushad / R.D.Burman (?? Please confirm). The MD of "Saathi" had quipped that "MSV has scored spell bound music to "Paalum Pazhamum" and it is very tough for me to repeat it".

2. "Enga Mama" was remade from the original Hindi version "Brahmachari" starring Shammi Kapoor and Saira Bhanu (?). Though the Hindi version had hit songs like " Dhil Key Jharokey Mein Thujkoy.." by Rafi Sahab (equivalent Tamil version is "Ellorum Nalam Vaazha Naan Paaduven ...") , "Enga Mama" songs were too good to be commented as "remade" songs. We all know about the other songs of this movie....

3. "Naalai Namadhey..." - remake of "Yaadon Khee Baarat" - amazing songs in both the movies (who can forget "Chura Liya Hai...." by Asha ). tamil had splendid songs like Neela Nayanagil by KJ and PS.

The list goes on and on......

The message is clear ,

1. If the movie was remade in another language, the Music was either fair / bad.

2. If the movie was remade in Tamil from another language, the Music was at par / equivalent to the original.....

MSV Rules !!!
Venkat
saradhaa_sn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S.Balaji wrote:
Nice topic. MSV excelled in remakes . There are movies like :

1. Sivakamiyin selvan ( Aradhana )
2. Thillumullu ( Golmal )
3. Raja ( Johny mera naam )
4. Urimai Kural ( Telugu movie )
5. Nalai namadhey ( Yadon ki barath )

It’s a big list actually. I haven’t come across any singly tune resembling the original movie ! That’s Mellisai Mannar MSV

6. Engirudho VandhaaL (Kilona)
7. Needhi (Dhushman)
8. Ninaiththathai Mudippavan(Chacha Juta)
9. Sirithu vaaza vendum (Zanjeer)
10.Enga Mama (Bramachari)
11. Billa (Don)

many more like this......

But MSV never touched any of the original Hindi tunes. He always compose in his own style
baroque

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonderful wealth of info guys!
Tamil, hindi, bhajan,ghazal,carnatic-vocal/instrumental I run around listen but never know the details.
Especially films, I have seen very very very few, these info will help novice like me!

Wanted to add, while picking up my son, I was listening to THILLU MULLU, what a feast he has given, ragangal padhinaaru.... song, I absolutely love, ofcourse I like AANEE WAALA.... too, nice KIRWANI song, still Admire Shri.MSV's originality and pride, I am truly PROUD of him, I wish rest of the MDs follow him as role model!

thanks, vinatha.
raghavan vasudevan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thankful to friends for their instant reply. Just two corrections to Mr TV Raghavan reply. In the film Brhmachari Rajshree (daughter of famous film producer/director V shantharam) paired with Shammi Kapoor. For the film Saathi (hindi remake of Palum pazhamum) Naushad scored music.

MSV has himself told in an interview that he gets inspiration from music directors like SD Burman and Naushad. But in the film saathi Naushad could give only two hits whereas songs of PP is a history in itself.

Thank you for replies.
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: TOPIC OF GREAT INTEREST! Reply with quote

Hi Members,

This is yet another topic of great interest to me also. Muthu Kullikka Vaareegala from Anubhavi Raja Anubhavi (1967) was straightaway lifted by RD Burman (movie name???)in one of his movies. My observation of another song Madraas Nalla Madraas - Aaaradhana which was released in 1970, Music by SD Burman- the song Mere Sappunoki had some of the guitar nuances lifted verbatim from Madraas Nalla Madraas.

CHEERS
MSV IS MUSIC
VAIDY
madhuraman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Articles and Writings by Fans Reply with quote

Dear friends,
Though heart of hearts MSV loves Naushad's compositions, the fact is Naushad was a great fan of MSV. On more than one occasion Naushad has remarked "Viswanathan has done everything. What has he left for us to do?" Coming as it does from Naushad a doyen among India's MDs,. it should be the biggest tesimony to our Mellisai Mannar. In fact, MSV has often expressed himself against working for remakes on the singular plea that movie makers woul ask for "reproduction" like the originals. Where the maker is amenable to new laying of songs MSV has gladly done it. Real evidence can be drawn from his works in Vaazhkai padagu , Nalai namadhae ; only for AKBAR he had to compose on Naushad's scale as it was a movie dubbed in Tamil where Kannadasan ably demonstrated his Tamil prowess to match Hindi lip movements. Undoubtedly MSV relied on personal wisdom than on anything borrowed.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Navi Mumbai
ragasuda

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: remakes Reply with quote

Many songs of remade films in Tamil which have MSV as MD - you are in for a music treat, for sure. That says all. He never wanted to take other tunes. In very few occasions he had taken the inspiration from other language films - e.g. Kungumapottin Mangalam from the song in Sangam (I am not sure).
Dear professor,
The songs in AKBAR were composed by Kambadasan and not Kannadasan.
We can go on writing in this topic. Such a vast scope.
Thanks for the evergreen topic.
V. Raghavendran
baroque

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Undoubtedly MSV relied on personal wisdom than on anything borrowed'

Professor Sir, You said it right.
manytimes naan nenachuppen,
With these personal wisdom, musical sophistication and versatility (What a variety with strong classical base), Shri.MSV can shine present times too in spite of him not so tech savvy. All he needs is a great tech savvy assistant.
He will never solely rely on the synthetic sounds.
He embraces expressive singing , He truly knows to exploit the singer’s potential. He will apply his mind to select an apt voice for his songs.
I love to see him work in a simultaneous bilingual Hindi, Tamil film production or a PERIOD movie. Better late than never!
MSV & ARR team can be done too. They will complement each other. (ARR has done KISNA with Ismail Durbar - Hum dil de chupke sanam fame.) I am confident about this team.
This topic can be discussed separately. Informed people, if it interests discuss pros & cons.
madhuraman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Articles and Writings by Fans Reply with quote

Dear friend,
Theoretically it looks advantageous to team up with a later MD likeARR for MSV to come up with songs backed by technology. Apparently, it has the value of carrying the tag of modernity and therefore some quick recognition. But, an MD who has established his credentials as an independent composer may find it psychologically hard to get over the feeling of "having to associate" with someone else except if some movie maker brings them together. Always success comes only when a worker has absolute freedom and the assurance that the work is "entrusted to me".
Instead , if some good producer with clear ideas on music can make a low budget venture with MSV, it may serve two ends. Why make this suggestion may be a question. All of us know that the immortality enjoyed by MM's songs is traceable to the vividity of live orchestration. By this I refer to the value of using instruments live instead of synthesiser. Also, MSV is quite adept in such compositions. Thirdly the time is ripe for audience to listen and "feel" the difference between synthetic versions and sincere compositions. Though it may mean going back to the old styles of working , it will prove the value thereof. Once it sees the light of the day, I am confident that people will start appreciating that genre of song-making. With the current styles of song organisation proving to be of very limited "shelf life" it would be worth a try. All we need are well-written lyrics to portray situation and a sensible production team that should comeout with a short term production. It would cetainly set a trend like breating fresh air. Let it be clear that I am not advocating ideas against modernity but trying to look at the limitations thereof. Now the listeners are starved of quality, a good effort will bear fruits.
The purpose is to restore quality in TFM.

PS : I STAND CORRECTED ON MY REFERENCE TO "Akbar" lyricist.

With warm regards Prof.K.Raman Navi Mumbai.
baroque

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a coincidence!! Sir, I totally agree with you. While driving back home this evening I was thinking along the same lines (was listening to MSV’s Andha 7 natkal & KHAYYAM’s Yatra (2006)). KHAYYAM is a classical hindi film composer. I am familiar with Khayyam’s Noorie, Umroa Jaun, couple of his ghazal albums. Khayyam’s Yatra came after a long break. It was a traditional KHAYYAM album, KHAYYAM ‘s Yatra enjoyed success.
A right opportunity with a good producer with clear ideas that inspires Shri.MSV should happen, it will be great, and once again HE will change/revolutionize the TFM direction for better. Hope it will happen soon! Very Happy
ragasuda

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: MSV and Technology Reply with quote

Dear Professor,
There is no need for MSV to associate with any other musician, except of course, TKR. That is a proven and established team. Moreover, MSV is the man who introduced modern technology to the Tamil film music as early as in 1960s and he is always generation in advance in technology. The foremost example is "Atthaan en atthaan" from Paavamannippu. While such is the case, he has already proved himself to be a master of technical knowhow. But he is also the master who knows where technology stands and what is its relevance to a particular kind of music, particular situation, and uses modern technology only when it demands. He used Ilaiyaraaja's skills in the song "Malar Edhu". He used advanced technology in the song Nee Varuvaai en in the film Sujatha. In the bgm of Rathapaasam, he used the Electronic Instruments aptly for the film since it was a location at other countries. There is no dearth of technology in MSV's music. He knows how to use it, where to use it, why to use it.
V. Raghavendran
saradhaa_sn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raghavan vasudevan wrote:
I am thankful to friends for their instant reply. For the film Saathi (hindi remake of Palum pazhamum) Naushad scored music.

MSV has himself told in an interview that he gets inspiration from music directors like SD Burman and Naushad. But in the film saathi Naushad could give only two hits whereas songs of PP is a history in itself.

Thank you for replies.

'பாலும் பழமும்' திரைப்படம் தமிழிலிருந்து இந்தியில் ரீமேக் செய்யப்பட்டபோது, அந்தப்படத்துக்கு பழம்பெறும் இசையமைப்பாளர் நௌஷாத் இசையமைத்தார்.

அப்போது அவர், எம்.எஸ்.வி. அவர்களுக்கு போன் செய்து பேசியபோது சொன்னாராம்:

"பாலும் பழமும் படத்தில் நீங்கள் போட்டிருந்த எல்லா பாடல்களுக்கும் நான் மாற்று டியுன் போட்டு விட்டேன், ஒன்றே ஒன்றைத்தவிர. அதுதான் "நான் பேச நினைப்பதெல்லாம் நீ பேச வேண்டும்" என்ற பாடல். அதற்கு என்னால் மாற்று டியூன் போட முடியவில்லை. ஆகவே, நீங்கள் போட்ட அதே மெட்டையே இந்திக்கும் பயன் படுத்திக்கொண்டேன்".

என்று சொன்னாராம்.

சரி, இதெல்லாம் உனக்கு எப்படித் தெரியும் என்று நினைக்கிறீர்களா?. எம்.எஸ்.வி.அவர்களே என்னிடம் சொன்னார். சந்தேகமா?. இதோ உங்களிடமும் சொல்கிறார். கீழ்க்கண்ட 'லிங்க்' கில் பாட்டு எண் 827 ல் ஆடியோவை ப்ரெஸ் பண்ணுங்கள். 'தென்றல் வரும் சேதி வரும்' என்ற பாடலுக்கு முன்னர் எம்.எஸ்.வி. அவர்களே பேசுகிறார். அவருடைய குரலிலேயே இந்த விவரங்களைக் கேளுங்கள்.

http://psusheela.org/tam/audio.php?offset=810&ord=song

Song No: 827 (Press 'audio' and listen)

அன்புடன் சாரூ....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: