"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

INBAME UNTHAN PAER PENMAIYO - IDAYAKANI
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sriram Kannan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: INBAME UNTHAN PAER PENMAIYO - IDAYAKANI Reply with quote

This is my numero uno choice, if asked to pick a TMS-PS duet for MGR. I usually hear this song twice everytime, once for the music and the other for the lyrics. Both of them are too good that I am afraid of missing a little note, if I hear to both of them at the same time. Even without watching the song, every action of MGR and the heroine can be imagined, just with the music. The intimacy of the lovers in the song is well expressed by TMS and PS. And the orchestration, My God!!! Does this person holds any magic wand in hands and in a "whisshhk", a song is composed? Unimaginable!!!!

"Idayakani" - MGR and Radha Saluja, her debut, was a silver jubilee movie. Though the screenplay was an interesting one, the major hit factor was the songs. Every song was unique and covered every commercial aspect in a MGR movie, starting from "Neenga Nalla irukkanum" till "Engeyo Paartha gyabagam". Also, the movie has an English song "Oh Lover, Mr. Right", sung by Usha Uthup, a bar song - another favorite of mine, our EMPEROR's wide knowledge at its peak. (I heard about this song - Usha Uthup initially became famous with the song of "Melnaatu Marumagal"(by Kunnakudi), and was sarcastic when asked for a song in "Idayakani" with an expression, "Is this old man going to compose a club song for me?", later taken by surprise and admiration, when she heard the music and the way EMPEROR taught her. Any known people, please give an insight about the incident.)

The situation is simple, a love duo for newly married couple in their honeymoon. I am sure this song would have been the hit of the year. Another good example of, when it comes to EMPEROR, how MGR gets the songs.

The prelude remains in my Top 10 preludes list of our EMPEROR. The heart stops for a moment when the violins begin in the drum background, and raise slowly. (I guess the director would have explained the situation like this for the song, "Openingla, Chinnavaru(MGR) intha pakkathulendhu odi varuvaaru, Heroine antha pakkathulendhu odi varuvaanga", and the effect of that in the music is striking. A deep bow to our EMPEROR!!!) The violins along with the drums in combination expressing the running motion, a blow of the trumpet, violins raise to maximum, again the violins and drums joining for the running motion at the raised pitch, another blow of trumpet, violins come down this time. Flute joins with bongo here, flute sound lilting in the air, mesmerizing and slowly pulling us to the romantic situation, violins joining at the end in a swinging motion, and finished by bongos and drums.

One more reason for the addiction to this song is the way TMS and PS utters the word "Inbame", and the drums following the word. Simply superb!!! We would be falling into the mood completely with it. Also, the way song goes varies suddenly, starting from pallavi till the end. TMS begins with "Inbame, unthan paer penmaiyo", in a drums background, TMS prolonging at the word "penmaiyo" softly, the song suddenly changes to a "foot tapping" mood from the second line "En Ithayakani", with the energetic beats of bongos and drums in the background. PS starts with "Inbame, unthan paer vallalo", and make us dance at "Un Idayakani", the background of drums and bongos maintained throughout the pallavi.

Trumpet opens the first interlude, drums and bongos at the back, followed by violins. PS starts the charanam at "Sarkarai Panthal Naan", tabla entering the song in a slow rhythmic beat that quickens at "Thenmazhai sintha vaa" with PS prolonging at the end. The quickened beat is maintained at "Santhana medaiyum inge, Saagasa naadagam enge", that quickens further with TMS at "Thenodu Paal tharum", till the end of charanam at "Naalum en manam engum", finished by flute, that comes as an approval for the lyrics of the singer. At the pallavi "Inbame", drums retrieves the place from tabla. This variation of beats of tabla at every line is maintained in every charanam.

The fast opening of flute starts the second prelude, that raises slowly, backed by drums and bongos, taken over by violins, and then back by flute at the end with its quickened pace closing the interlude, TMS begins the second charanam at "Panjanai vendumo" tabla coming back. PS takes over from TMS at "ponnoli sinthidum", this time charanam closed by tabla itself.

The third interlude is again the same combination of trumpet and violins, with drums and bongos, similar to the first interlude. This pattern is often used by our EMPEROR for a lengthy song, first and third interludes similar, second interlude totally different. PS opens the third charanam at "Malligai thottamo", now the singers alternating at each line, the variation of the beats clearly visible.

PS closes the song with "Inbame", in her mystic voice that never leaves our ears. The magic shown by our EMPEROR in every song and in every part of the song is unexplainable, the admiration and addiction, increasing day by day.

Follow me at http://bibliomaniac-moviefanatic.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Sriram Kannan on Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ram

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sriram, Great writing on this fabulous number! This is one of my favourites too!

The Tabla Nadai in the Charam will be very Peppy! Many rasikas, especially the elder generation, comments this: "MGR's songs are so enthusiastic!!!!!"; "Antha Kaalaththu Sivaji songs'la enna Sogam/Urukkam Paa"

Where does that "ENTHUSIASM" / "URUKKAM" come from ??? Pls think about it!

Sriram, continue to bring-out our Master's Marvels to the World !!!

tvvraghavan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: ROMANTIC MELODY Reply with quote

Dear Sriram,

AMAZING WRITE-UP !!!!!

What a peppy,brassy,extremely melodious romantic number !!! No wonder P.Susheela is considered one of the greatest singers of the century !! She is really enchanting with her seductively soft vocal chords. What an orchestration n presentation !! Even though the song goes for around 4.50mins, it is so fast paced that we feel it completes soon....

The ludes are really alluring and when TMS starts "INBAMEY..." at the end of the drum beat of the prelude, one may hardly expect such a slow and prolonged pallavi and when "EN IDHAYAKANI..." starts, our Master comes out with an unpredictable drum backing....

The first and third interludes start with a Majestic (this is how I feel) TRUMPET with drums ,bongos and very romantic hollow guitar support that is followed with a great violin ensemble while melodious string section and flute form the second interlude....

Wish , I was present during the recording !!! I cannot even imagine the joy !!!

Thanks for reminding the song.....n am sure you will be coming out with more such writings Surprised

MSV Rules !!!
Venkat
Sriram Kannan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: ROMANTIC MELODY Reply with quote

tvvraghavan wrote:
Dear Sriram,

The first and third interludes start with a Majestic (this is how I feel) TRUMPET with drums ,bongos and very romantic hollow guitar support that is followed with a great violin ensemble while melodious string section and flute form the second interlude....

Thanks Venkat!!!

Exactly, the same word I was thinking of!!!! "Majestic".... Thats how we can define that Trumpet interlude...

The prelude is still ringing in my ears... A wonderful orchestration with violins supported by drums and giving up the exact impression of a running motion... Simply Superb!!!

msvramki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sriram,

Great writing on a great song of the Greatest Composer Sri MSV !

இந்தப் பாடல் வந்தபுதிதில் கேட்டவர்களைப் பயித்தியம் பிடித்து அலைய வைத்தது !

பாடலின் ஆர்கெஸ்ட்ரேஷன், வரிகள், அந்த தனித்துவ தபலா நடை, ஒவ்வொன்றும் அபாரம் ! இது எல்லாவற்றையும் அணு அணுவாக ரசித்த உனது ரசனை, அது பற்றி நீ எழுதியிருக்கும் வர்ணனை பிரமாதம்.

Here is my standing ovation ! Pl accept.

உன் போன்ற் இளையோர்களின் பணி நம் 'மாமன்னரின்' மேதாவிலாசத்தை உலகிற்கு பறைசாற்றும் !

தடையின்றி தொடரட்டும் உன் பணி !!

With best wishes

Ramki

Sriram Kannan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ram wrote:

The Tabla Nadai in the Charam will be very Peppy!

Dear Ram,

In fact, the amazing "Tabla Nadai" struck me when I heard the song numerous times. Before that, I used to enjoy only the prelude and the pallavi.. Hear our EMPEROR song, and everytime we hear it, a secret would be unveiled.

vaidymsv

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: YET ANOTHER GREAT PICK Reply with quote

Hi Sriram Kannan,

Yet another great pick (in full form Sriram???) this Inbamey. But what astonished me even more was the title of this movie. Sriram you ought to listen to this and I am sure you will totally be drenched in sheer melody. Enna Venkat, title pathi onnum newsey kanom??? By the way Venkat & I were with the EMPERROR this evening and played some great songs from his laptop. We played- Gowri Manohariyai Kanden, Nee Ennenna sonnalum kavithai, Kaadhal Enbathu Kaaviamaanal Kadhanayagan vendum..... We drowned in his melody and the EMPERROR in nostalgia. Another melodious evening with the Master!!!

CHEERS
MSV IS MUSIC
VAIDY
tvvraghavan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEAH Vaidhy uncle.I just missed to mention it and now when I am about to edit my posting , I am suprised to see so many subsequent postings and an active Forum !!!...

Yes Sriram, as Vaidhy uncle says just listen to the Title Music of Idhaya Kani and you are sure to get surprised by the melody.

Share your thoughts once you listen to this number....

MSV Rules !!!
Venkat
Sriram Kannan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS RAMKI SIR!!!!

Vaidy Sir/Venky,

I could not find it in our BGM section.. Does anyone have a link to it ? Please let me know.

tvvraghavan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Sriram, I was about to mail it to you.....

Regards
Venkat
tvvraghavan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Link for the download Reply with quote

Dear all,
You can download and listen to the Ithaya Kani Title Score from the link below ,

http://download.yousendit.com/B192DE6B18F8EB9A

The file will be available for 7 days

Rgds
Venkat
irenehastings

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This song 'inbame undhan per penmaiyo' is evergreen one. Even now we can watch this song telecasted atleast three times in a week in any of the Tv channels.

It was shooted in the beautiful location of Sivasamudhram falls in the river cauveri, in karnataka (I dont remember any other tamil movie shooted here).

The trumpet starting in the interludes of first and third charanam will perfectly coincide with the falling of water in the falls. How it possible?. because the song was recorded first and shooting was carried out after. How our master imagined the falling water and tuned for that?.

hey... if we go inside each and every song of him, wonders are coming out in viswaroopam. my God...!!!!!!
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sriram K…

another splendid post … Once again, you have done a minute word by word analysis of the song !! great going .

What a song for MGR who was approaching 58++ years at that time !!

The prelude is one of the very best in tfm & a top 10 song of Makkal Thilagam

Stretching Inbameeeey defines the Master …. He can stretch or limit any word to give melody ……

Listen to many hidden effects in this song also including ….the mild guitar when PS sings … Malligai thottam naan……..

The drummer must be the one and only Sivamani for sure !!

Actually MGR was encouraging more of KJY and SPB at this stage but a sudden love duet for TMS was a surprise & TMS gave a full blast

The song is one of the classics of tamil cinema

Except Neerum neruppum, MSV had never failed for a MGR movie ….. MSV’s success run continued until his last movie MMSP

Wonderful picturisation with Sivana samudram water falls in the backdrop ….. this location has become a regularity now a days ……..

Cheers
madhuraman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Pick a Song and Analyze-Inbamay Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Balaji,
While referring to this number 'Inbamay' you have shown a very fine appreciation for the drum beats. You have referred to Drummer Sivamani a well known craftsman. But, I do not know if it was Sivamani on that occasion. For what is worth, let me recall here that MSV has had the most articulate performers on his orchestra. He had with him a giant of drummer in NOEL GRANT as early as the 1960s. Long before any one else could, MSV had richly embellished songs using drums of varied descriptions. Notable among them was the drum beats in Anbulla maan vizhiyae in Kuzhandhaiyum Deivamum [1966]. Any way I do not suggest that it was Noel in 'Inbamay'. All I intend saying is every item in music has had a respectable history and that of Drums in TFM is no different.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Navi Mumbai
irenehastings

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veera Thirumagan
Idhu Sathiyam
Server Sundaram

..........there are plenty like this, but i just take this three for example as 'oru paanai sotrukku...'

In those movies, there is no MGR, no Shivaji, no SSR, no Gemni and no Jaishanker.

First one: Paired by 'unknown' Anandhan and comedy actress Chachu. But till date we are enjoying the songs 'paadaatha paattellaam paada vandhaal', 'neela pattaadai katti' and 'roja malare rajakumari' (one of the top 10 of PBS).

Second one: Paired by 'villain' Ashokan and second grade actress Chandrakantha. But all songs are honey including 'manam kanivaana', 'saravana poigaiyil neeraadi' etc...etc...

Third one: Hero is (then busy comedian) Nagesh and no pair for him. But reach of all songs to public, is world history.

........these examples shows us what?. For the hit of MSV sir's songs, Hero is a Zero. Yes, MSV is the real hero of his songs. As history is like this (there are plenty like above examples), then why should we give share for the compossing and archestration of the songs, only for some particular Heros...??.

If we compare both MD and HERO, it is well known (ullangai nellikani) who benefited from whom.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: