"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BRASS SECTION !!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tvvraghavan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: BRASS SECTION !!! Reply with quote

Dear all,
Just a thought that came to my mind early this morning that I would like to share with all of you.

Am not sure if anyone else opened a thread on this topic. Still I could not stop myself from writing.... Surprised

I somehow feel no other composer has used the Brass section so effectively (highly subjective thought).

I just love all his Brass section and to mention a few...

1. Kalyana Naal Parkha Chollalaama - One person in Jaya TV's Then Kinnam termed this song as the BEST example as how to aesthetically n effectively use the Brass section .

2. Raman Thediya Seethai title - This is really a feast from our Master with a strong String section along with a beautiful subtle overlap of Brass section and a solo Trumpet.

3. Gowravam Title - Though the strings and santoor dominate here , the Brass section in the initial few seconds and a Trumpet section are just matchless.

4. Galatta Kalyanam Title - Extensive usage of Trumpet,Trombone,Sax and what not. I can visualise a Huge ensemble (probably 2 or 3 layers of Brass players ) of brass sections for this Title !!

4. Varavendum Oru Pozhudu - No words to express this pure Jazz composition. Just notice the usage of trumpet and trombone.

5. Adhisaya Ulagam (from Gowravam) - The prelude itself opens with a GRAND BRASS SECTION that is very peppy.....and when Thavil joins the other instruments, u just go mad. The usage of Bass Clarinet and Trumpets in the second interlude conveys the right emotion of the song...

6. Ninaithadhai Nadathiye Mudippavan - We have spoken enough on this song, but there is so much in this song that we could keep talking on this beautiful Jazz number.

Please start this week by listening and adding more n more of Brass compositions of our Master !!!

MSV Rules !!!
Venkat
madhuraman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Articles and Writings by Fans- Bras section Reply with quote

Dear Venkat,
Thank you for the nice lead on brass section. Strictly speaking all the songs date back to decades when many were kids and look how he has led the musical feast those days with no concern for compensatory pay or rewards. Now-a-days the MDs would certainly demand some thing in return saying that these efforts are out of the world. The media would willingly play up saying that none else could have done it. Leaving aside those nasty efforts of self glorification, one has to politely admit that -" You name it, MSV has done it years ahead". I look forward to analysts to begin their game on this thread.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Navi Mumbai
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: CLEVER USE OF THE BRASS Reply with quote

Dear Venky,

MSV rules the Brass!!! Never have I come across a composer of our Legend's class who's used the Brass section so cleverly! Remember we were talking about examples on how Brass should be used and how it shouldn't be??? Wink

MSV RULES ORCHESTRATION!!!

CHEERS
VAIDY
tvvraghavan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: WELL SAID PROF !!! Reply with quote

Dear Prof. Uncle,
Well said...!!! I would also reiterate the same to everybody over debates/discussions on the MDs. I would just ask..."Well, What's new / special about it.... !!!! " Our Master has already done it.... Smile

I would like to add some more songs with amazing Brass section :

7. URAVINIL 50-50 from Galatta Kalyanam - I seriosuly feel that Our Master has delivered a Grand Feast of BRASS SECTION in this movie and especially this song that is not widely known for unknown (?) reasons despite being a Musical extravaganza in every part of it. The prelude starts with a beautiful rhythm along with Piano when Trumpets take charge and rule over.The interludes are really treat to the ears with sax, trumpets and trombone...along with the amazing drums...!!!

More on this section....

MSV Rules !!!
Venkat
irenehastings

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: WELL SAID PROF !!! Reply with quote

tvvraghavan wrote:
URAVINIL 50-50 from Galatta Kalyanam - I seriosuly feel that Our Master has delivered a Grand Feast of BRASS SECTION in this movie and especially this song that is not widely known for unknown (?) reasons despite being a Musical extravaganza in every part of it.

Dear Venkat,

It is not unknown reason, but it is well known reason.

Because our past Radio Stations and present TV channels just selecting only 20 to 30 songs and broadcasting / telecasting them in repeated number of times again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again........, and neglecting other good songs like this. (adhaavathu, kandukkirathe illai)
raghavan vasudevan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Brass display in MSV numbers Reply with quote

Hallo,

A nice topic initiated by Mr TR Raghavan. I can add a few more songs wherein MSV excelled in Brass.

1. Nalladhor kudumbam from the film Thngapadhakkam - Beautifuoly rendered by TMS and ofcourse excellently enacted by Shivaji - One still remember his footsteps going in harmony with the music.

2. Naan thanna thani kattu raja from the film Enga Mama

You take any instrument or name any instrument. MSV has used it beautifully to bring out the richness of the sound of the instrument.

ONE WORD MSV IS A MASTER AND ALL OTHER MUSIC DIRECTORS WETHER HE BEING FROM NORTH, SOUTH EAST OR WEST THEY ARE ALL HIS STUDENTS. STUDENTS CAN BE MANY AND EVEN COUNTLESS BUT MASTER IS ONE ALWAYS ONE.

This sums up MSV and his creations.

WE ARE LUCKY THAT WE HAVE BEEN HIS CONTEMPORARY.

Vasudevan
Mumbai
saradhaa_sn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'BRASS SECTION' என்றதும் நினைவுக்கு வரும் இன்னும் இரண்டு பாடல்கள்:

'ஒரு முத்தாரத்தில் முப்பது முத்து சேர்த்து வைத்திருந்தேன்' (சொர்க்கம்)
'அங்கே சிரிப்பவர்கள் சிரிக்கட்டும் அது ஆணவ சிரிப்பு' (ரிக்ஷாக்காரன்)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: