"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pick a Song and Analyze- Bhoomiyil iruppadhum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhuraman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Pick a Song and Analyze- Bhoomiyil iruppadhum Reply with quote

Dear friends,
For quite some days I have been brooding over this number for a variety of reasons like its lyric, orchestration, grandeur, picturisation and above all MM's totally novel approach in delivering a song for a strange situation especially in 1969. Looking back, it is a marvel of sorts.
The movie Shanthi Nilayam had this song sequence when children, the teacher and 1 member of the household choose to fly in baloons as a learning cum entertainment which also holds a turning point in the story.
Kavi arasu and Sevi arasu have demonstrated parallel supremacy in play of words and tune respectively. Even as the song opens in the grand voice of TMS, Mellisai mannar comes in full blast with superb percussion beats starting in drums and quickly changing over to tabla. MDs attempt to wind up a number by rapid orchestration.But our MELLISAI MAAMANNAR has right away opened the song with the gaiety of tabla beats in competition with precise clap of hands. MM has used this strategy in most inconceivable situations. Another striking novelty in this song is the richness of orchestration though with a minimum variety of instruments mostly as percussion from drums, tabla and bangos. The rest of life in this magical number are from FLUTE and human chorus. Much embellishment comes from the way the human voices scale-up the song by controlled humming and a boisterous infusion of Saachoo Sachoo by TMS lifting the song to the skies. Truly I wonder how MM conceived this strategy of human voices for humming to a heavenly order to suggest the physical ascension in to the skies. It is a thrilling experience to live through rather than trying to describe it. Another amazing experience is, the song reaches its crescendo within moments and keeps floating at dizzy heights by the sheer orchestration that amply suggests that MSV is an incarnation of Goddess Saraswathi. I appeal to our analysts to consider this song, which also stands testimony to human effort in an era devoid of the so-called Technology. I refer to the brilliant cinematography by Mr. Marcus Bartley who was an Aasthana cinematography chief in Gemini Studios. The colour values sustained in that movie as early as 1969 reveal that quality was not a rare commodity thoughpeople were limited by constraints of other type like financial outlay. Hats off to the guardians of quality in every domain of Tamil films.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Navi Mumbai
P. Sankar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The moment someone qoutes the name of Mr.Marcus Batley(Photographer), two films come to mind, one of course Shanthi Nilayam, and the other one the ever famous CHEMMEEN, the immortal Malayalam film.

P. Sankar.
Sriram Kannan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But our MELLISAI MAAMANNAR has right away opened the song with the gaiety of tabla beats in competition with precise clap of hands. MM has used this strategy in most inconceivable situations.

Great Professor!!!

One of our EMPEROR's speciality, is His style of switching percussions with great precise and no-loss of tempo. The awesome tabla accompanied with claps, that comes between the pallavi, is a striking proof of it.

Follow me at http://bibliomaniac-moviefanatic.blogspot.com/
irenehastings

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P. Sankar wrote:
The moment someone qoutes the name of Mr.Marcus Batley(Photographer), two films come to mind, one of course Shanthi Nilayam, and the other one the ever famous CHEMMEEN, the immortal Malayalam film.

P. Sankar.

Marcus Bartley got National Award for 'Best Cinematographer' in 1969, for this movie Santhi Nilaiyam.
ramasamysujatha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This song along with Kadavul orunal, Iraivan varuvan are the memorable tunes from MSV. If I hear this song, I am going back to my Panchayat Union Baby Class (today's LKG) days in village. By seeing your post itself my heart goes to the tune. That is the success of Great MSV!!! We can appreciate a tune, Agree for the talent but Impressing to our Heart is the Greatest of all. Needless to say Our MSV's tunes are ever long Impressing Tunes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: