"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ENDRUM MSV -15 -08-09 A WELCOME DEVIATION

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhuraman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: ENDRUM MSV -15 -08-09 A WELCOME DEVIATION Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
Though Saturday episodes are 'repeat telecasts', yesterday's was a different one in view of the 63rd Independence day celebration, placing due value to the occasion.
I address it a 'welcome deviation' not for presenting a new episode on a saturday slot, but a few things opened up including the mind of our generally tight-lipped MSV.
The show began with the song from "Aanandha jyothi"
'oru thAi makkaL nAm enbOm' rendered by Kovai MuraLi, Ananthu, Ms Jayasri and Ms Usha Raj. As ever, it was a nice rendition and Mr Aadhavan acknowledged the occasion chosen for this number.
"MannAdhi mannan" number 'kaNgaL irandum' was the second item of the day rendered by Ms Jayasri. The epic stature of the lyric was liberally appreciated by Mr.Aadhavan who said this number is a masterpiece generating varied emotions in the listener of joy, sorrow , expectation and suspense rolled into one without confusion.MSV said , it is lyric that sets the mood for composition -a typical MSV-brand evasion. However Mr.Aadhavan did not let MSV off hook [though it was just seemingly so] and sought the song from "Shanthi nilayam"

Pat came the song 'Iyarkai ennum iLaya kanni' by Ms Jayasri and Mr.Ananthu, in all its grandeur. This was the song that 'unplugged' MSV quite a bit; the compere asked if this was the song that SPB sang first for MSV. MSV [for once] made it loud and clear this was the I Tamil song for SPB and also reiterated that 1000 nilave vA was rendered only later. One could see a genuinely shaken up Aadhavan, as he had hithered to nurtured the belief that the MGR number was SPB's first ever TF song. Also MSV clearly narrated how SPB had to tone up his Tamil for over 1 1/2 years before MSV could avail of his voice. Mr Aadhavan was keen to know if MSV could perceive the potential in the singer even in those days for which MSV's reply was an emphatic Yes; and went on to say Balu has immaculate observation [kaELvi gnaanam] and would mop up everything like a blotting paper. MSV went on to highlight fine qualities of affection and loyaltiesof SPB, as evidence of which he quoted Balu's naming his recording theatre on the name of MD Kothandapani [not even of his parents']. Aadhavan rightly narrated the high esteem that SPB holds for MSV with Balu's now famous quote.
The next number was
'indha pachhaikkiLikku oru sevvandhi poovil' of Lyricist Pulamaippiththan that drew MSV out further from his shell. On the first occasion of MSV -PULAMAIPITHAN' combination, fearing MSV may not accept the lyric, Director .K.Sankar [the doyen] temporarily fooled MSV saying that the song 'nAn yAr nAb yAr' [kudiyirundha koil] was written by self and that MSV has to only go ahead.On the recording day after the work, KS introduced the lyricist and told the truth. At this Aadhavan broke the news that Pulamaippithan made it clear in a comversation that in TF industry on matters of music , among all MDs MSV is a class unparalleled and a supreme composer.Also the lyricist acknowledged that from mere writing, he has picked up a sense of musically looking at lyric phrases thanks to sessions of composition with MSV and that those were the greatest moments unforgettable in his life - a statement which made MSV fold his hands in reverence- an unfailing gesture of his.
Next came the "DeivathAi" number 'indha punnagai ennavilai' rendered by Ms Usha Raj and Kovai MuraLi. At the very composition a rich class of orchestration was replete through the song.The talk turned to the movie house 'Sathya films' where Mr.RM Veerappan was a trusted lieutinent of MGR. MSV said RMV has a keen sense of music and after a stage MGR permitted RMV to decide matters. In the "RickshawkkAran" song 'Azhagiya thamizh magal' MGR was none too happy and had called for some other replacement, though everyone else was happy. No progress was made as MGR WAS INSISTENT ON CHANGING the song.Using his proximity, RMV told MGR that nothing better could be achieved though me and MSV sat for over 10 days. A reluctant MGR at last gave in and acted for the song that turned out a megahit. Later for the movie 'neerum nerppum" MGR called up MSV to compose a song like 'azhagiya thamizh magaL ival". [obviously MSV would have laughed off ]
The final song of yesterday's episode was 'kEttadhum koduppavanE' by Mr Murali and the song was a right tribute to Kannadasan.

As you can infer MSV has string memory held under clutch for reasons best known to him; he made a passing reference to an observation by someone of MSV's spoiling the industry by seeking opinions of others. Well our friends know who was the author and we need not embarass MSV on this.

Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Madurai.
VaidyMSV & Sriram Lax

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you , prof , for your recall of the programme. i too watched , but this channel was interchanged , with VASANTH tv , who telecasted SANGGETHA SANGAMAM , by MSV , a programme lasted for more than 3 hrs .

i am sure you would have seen that too .

sivakumar , spb , and vadivelu. manobala spoke about MM .Highlight was ofcourse , vadivelu , he praised his APPA.to greater height (ofcourse any height is not sufficient ) he sang bhuthan yesu gandhi , and sang and danced for addi yennadi rakkamma.
the programme ended at 11 pm
hope both programmes would be re telecasted
parthavi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Professor,
You have, in your inimitable way, presented a vivid picture of yesterday's Endrum MSV, which was highly enjoyable, both on account of the song presentations and on account of the interesting conversation between MSV and Aadhavan. Today's program (a double bonanza, this week, thanks to Independence day) was equally good. You have expressed what was exactly in my mind after watching today's program. During the past few weeks, MSV has been opening up a little more than usual, thanks to Aadhavan's persistent but subtle way of probing and provoking. We can see that MSV has been enjoying the program. He is realizing the greatness of his compositions. Yesterday, after playing 'Oru thaai makkal naam enbom' from Aananda Jothi, MSV said that he realized the greatness of his song now, after 45 years, much more than he did at the time of composing. Though he would have meant the lyrics, he had definitely enjoyed the immortality of his music also. However, when Aadhavan said 'You have given a wonderful song,' MSV was quick to react, saying, 'Naan mettu mattumthaan potten!'

MSV is also enjoying Aaadhavan's compering. He relishes Aadhavan's connecting each song to the next, with the expression of a curious child. Though the songs would have been discussed and decided in advance, MSV is intrigued by Aadhavan's natural way of moving from one song to the next. He readily laughs at even mildly humorous remarks of Aadhavan. More than many lovers of music rediscovering MSV through this program, MSV is rediscovering himself, as a great music director of his times, respected and admired by various kinds of people. This is a welcome development.

When MGR asked MSV to give a song like 'azhagiya thamizh magal,' for 'Neerum neruppum' after initially predicting that the song won't click, MSV asked him, "Edhu maadhiri?" This is what he said yesterday. Though he might not have exactly said that, the fact that he displayed his sense of humor through this tongue-in-cheek remarks is an indication of the mastero willing to break his reticence.

I tuned to Jaya TV's 'Ennodu Pattup paadungal' conducted by SPB, during the commercial break.. Commenting on 'Naalai indha velai paarththu' sung by a participant, SPB showered praises on the lyrics and the music, specially mentioning the extraordinary orchestration. He mentioned that PS got a National Award for this song and wondered why the Selectors had not chosen to give an award to MSV for this song. He added that MSV should have got 15 to 20 rewards and hoped that at least this year, MSV would get one. This was a surprise coincidence with both MSV and PSB showering praises on each other at nearly the same telecast time in two different channels. I also watched the Vasanth TV program, now and then.

Today's program started with 'Maadhavi ponmayilaal' beautifully rendered by Kovai Murali. MSV mentioned that after hearing this song, Kavignar rang up to MSV and insisted on meeting Vaali immediately. They went to his house in the night and Kavignar heartily congratulated Vaali. Aadhavan relished the lines 'koonal pirai netriyil kuzhallada.........vizhiyaada...' and used the word vizhi to link to the next song 'kannukku kulametdhu.' MSV said that it was one of his favorite songs. After a beautiful rendering of the song by Kalpana, Aadhavan commended kavignar's use of the line 'kannukkuk kulam edhu.' He said, 'once I had said that you were partial towards BR Pantulu, Sridhar, Bhimsingh etc. Later on I withdrew my charge. Now I am again charging you that you had been especially partial in composing songs for Karnan.' MSV after mentioning that the subject was such, offered to compose good songs, if Aadhavan produced a film and gave him a chance.' Aadhavan said that he would withdraw his charge only after that happened!

Giving examples of lyrics, where the first one or two lines could serve the function of the whole song, the rest being a bonus, Aadhavan mentioned Kannukku kulamedhu, vizhiye kadhai ezhudhu and 'ennai eduththu thannaik koduththu.' This remark led to the rendition of 'ennai eduththu' by Kalpanaa. (It is worthwhile to recall that in the video clip available in MSVTimes.com, Vaali has mentioned that he wrote only ' ponaandi.' It was MSV who added 'ponavan' before 'ponaandi,' and 'vandhaalum' before 'varuvaandi.' After this song, MSV sung couple of lines from 'Uyire' of 'Bombay' (AR Rahman) to show the similarity between these two songs.

The next song was 'Enge Aval' from Netru Indru Naalai. MSV said that the producer Kovai Chezhiyan evinced interest in Music. He would like even songs of grief to be lively. MSV had composed two songs for this situation, of which KC had selected this. MSV sang the tune of the other song, He said that this song was even recorded. I wonder what had happened to this song.

Aadhavan said 'we heard this song Yesterday, we heard it today and we would hear it tomorrow.' The cue was for the next song from Netru Indru Naalai. 'Paadumpothu naan thendral kaatru' was beautifully rendered by Ananthu. When asked about his experience with the producer-actor S.A.Asokan, MSV said, 'You won't believe if I say I had composed nearly 100 tunes for 'Kanchiyile naan pirandhen netru.' But Asokan said MGR didn't like the song. Then I said, 'Neengale pettiyai eduththukkondu poi MGRukkuth thitupthiyaaga isai amaiththk kodungal." So, MSV had shown his annoyance at times, after all! (Asokan was known to MSV since childhood, he said. May be, that's why he took liberty with him.)

The final piece was 'Kadavul padaichchan' from Pokkiri Raaja.This was sung brilliantly by Ananthu. Since I generally disliked, 'Dabbanguththu' songs, I had never paid attention to this song so far. Perhaps I heard it fully for the first time only today. But this song i so brilliant. Dabbanguthu' paattaikkuuda arumaiyaagak kodukka mudiyum enbathai kaattiyirukkiraar MSV. This song requires what present day music judges on TV channels would call an 'open' singing. Ananthu, who normally appears shy and reserved, let himself go and did an excellent job. MSV was watching him with astonishment. At the end, he raised his thumb, in appreciation. Aadhavan recalled Panthulu telling MSV 'Sky is the limit' for composing songs for karnan and taunted MSV saying, "'Vaaname ellai endru pugundhu vilaiyaadi vitteergal!" MSV was very happy but said that he didn't recall composing this song. He said the same thing about 'indhap punnagai enna vilai' yesterday.

I don't know when these episodes were recorded.Some of our core members might have met MSV recently. MSV might have shared his impressions about this program and particularly about Aadhavan to them. It will be interesting if those who had heard things from MSV share them with the group.
parthavi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small correction.I have mentioned 'Enge aval' is from Netru Indru Naalai. It is from Kumarikkottam. This is a lapse due to absentmindedness, since Netru Indru Naalai song followed this.
madhuraman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Articles &Writings by Fans - Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Parthavi,
You have launched urgently into the thread indicating your urge to share your perceptions on Endrum MSV of 16-08-09. What matters is some one should bring out items for those distant fans who do not enjoy connectivity with these channels. Apart from the songs in the programme, we derive greater delight from the interaction between MSV and Aadhavan. As you have rightly pointedout,the legend enjoys himself.But, MSV requires being cajoled into the thought that his career as an MD has indeed been a Magnum opus. The revelation for us is, in his hey days he had a hectic schedule of over 17-18 hours of taxing work as composer. At all those moments, all that should have flowed in his blood and heart was situation , tune and orchestration. Otherwise it would never have been possible to frame each song to its best format year after year, movie after movie, extracting the best talent in each artiste be it a singer or the ones on orchestra. Understandably, MSV has lent his mind and soul to the work, totally oblivious of worldly things happening around. That is why whenever Aadhavan recalls lyric lines, MSV curiously interjects"Eppadi idhellam gnyabagam vechukkareenga? ennala mudiyaadhu",But he is a highly gifted child that has gifted to this thankless industry innumerable gems by sheer hard work in an era when even extra microphones were a luxury. Every note and decibel had to be done 'live' each time. Unknowing the hardships undergone by these creators, shamelessly people adore themselves as achievers for the mere 'cut and paste' technology they have effortlessly availed of. That is why genuine admirers of MSV take delight when even minor instances are shared in the undeniable presence of quality rendered from old songs. One should never fail to watch the deeply engrossed compere Mr.Aadhavan who is floating in the pleasure of listening to serene compositions. From where the imagination could have come except from Goddess Saraswathi herself? Through our student days we have been richly blessed and the blessing stays on enthralling members of younger age as well if they have come with blessings to hear them. Mega TV has done its best to the cause of Youth in appreciating TFM.
WARM REGARDS Prof.K.Raman Madurai
Venugopalan Soundararajan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Prof and Rengaswami,

Thanks a lot for your detailed accounts on the Enrum MSV episodes of 15th & 16th. Please continue to update fans like me on the further episodes too.

Regards,

Venu Soundar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Articles & Writings by Fans! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: