"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NINAITHAALE INIKKUM - ITHU ORU INNISAI MAZHAI
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Movies - A Special Section!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Damodaran Pachaiappan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Fellow MSVians,
It brings back very pleasant memories reading and writing about this film. 'NINATHALE INUKKUM' INDEED!! I was doing my +1 (first batch in Tamil Nadu) at the time. If I remember right it was released during summer vacation. This was the time when there was an acute polarization among my friends - the majority (ignorant lot!) singing the praise of IR and I found myself in the minority. By this time I had stopped seeing new films unless of course Mellisai Mannar was the MD. I was so keyed up about this movie that I was literally counting the days - to the opening day of the film. In a room upstairs, I had a makeshift blackboard ( to work out maths etc) and couple of newly built rooms with cemented but unpainted walls. I wrote Mellisai Mannarin Thenisai Mazhai - "Ninathale Inikkum" all over the place!! Laughing Any friends who visited me could not escape noticing this. Meanwhile our neighbour with whom we had tetchy relationship suddenly became my bosom buddy - because they bought the film's LP and I could spend all my time listening to the songs over and over. My God! what songs! The wonderful creativity of our master in full flow. I saw the film several times - each time with different friends and even the most ardent IR fan conceded that MSV was great . Mellisai Mannar has been a Music Vallal to KB once again and of course to all of us.
Coming to the songs themselves, Yadhum oorey yavarum kelir is one of my favourites. I think this song starts immediately after the intermission. The trumpet starts the prelude and the whole song flows like an energetic river. Wonderful rhythm. Mellifluous PS and SPB. A chorus lifting you to the next stanza .An accompaniment of a beautiful tan - tan - tan -tan- tada- tada - tada! Makes you want to listen again and again. Trumpet at the end. The beats make you tap your feet till the very end of the song. And even after the song! I hear something new every time I listen to this song. This is Goddess Sarawathy's gift to our Legend. He and he alone could do this.Above all there are no gimmicks, no fancy 16 track recording, no bizarre choruses ( voice splitters or whatever you call
them). Only music - good, refined music.
Perhaps more erudite members might analyze this song in a more comprehensive manner.
Thanking you all
With regards,
Daran Pachaiappan
madhuraman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Movies- A Special section- Ninaithalae Inikkum Reply with quote

Dear Dr. Damodaran Pachaiyappan,
Congratulations for your stupendous effort of transforming at least some of the hard core IR fans to concede the magnificence of MSV , even as you were in your late teens. As for your observations on the uncontaminated melody of MSV's music all can only endorse it. All music buffs, critics, MDs and music exponents are absolutely clueless as to how MSV spins out long seamless ropes of orchestration WITH JUST NO DISCORDANT BIT OF A NOTE IN ALL HIS CAREER as an MD. Even more baffling has been his absolutely unorthodox choice of instruments and blending them in such a smooth flow. So to say there is a circle like the voice[s] leading to the interlude and the ludes and interludes paving the way for the voices to merge into the territory much like a bird beautifully landing or taking off at will. Words are inadequate to portray the scale of quality in sustaining melody and orchestration that always obey his intricate planning in a simply 'made for one another' articulation of a seamless mould. We are fortunate to have had Mr. MSV, the sense to appreciate MSV and more so to have had the likes of you who bring out genuine admiration.
Thank you sir.
Warm regards Prof.K.Raman Navi Mumbai.
irenehastings

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Doctor sir,

You brought the situation of 1979 in our mind. The period this movie released was a critical year for MSV, as everywhere there was talks about 'another MD' and AIR was also telecasting 'his' songs always. At that time NI released as Yuvaraj's 6 X 6, to put 'super glue' in the mouths of MSV critics.

music...music...music... from the beginning to the end there was music, even for the stunt scene MSV put a song (thattiketka).

Dear Sriram Kannan,

We are eagerly waiting for your mind blowing analysis about the songs...

'aanandha thaandavamO'
'namma ooru singaari'
'Bhaarathi kannammaa'

and also the smashing climax song...

'inimai niraindha ulagam irukku....'
Ram

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great going Sriram..

Amazing descriptions on "Vaanile" and "Sambo"...

MSVClub is eagerly awaiting for the rest of the songs from you, from this "Mega Musical Extravagant Movie !!!"

Very Happy
Sriram Kannan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: WHAT A WAITING Reply with quote

WHAT A WAITING

I have been an addict for this song, the moment I heard it. Just want to kiss the hands of the guitarist, who played the song. EMPEROR's orchestration needs no more example than this small wonderful song. Though guitar is the main instrument (as the hero is playing it for his girl), EMPEROR would have used the humming and whistle at the appropriate places to keep up the "pep". Why to the song, just hear the Santoor at the background, when Jayaprada runs over the bridge to meet Kamal before the song starts. God!!! Incomparable!!! The same run at the end, would get translated to the thumping sound of the fat man walking over the bridge, shattering the hero's dreams and brings to reality. Definitely, one of the early MDs to introduce innovations in BGM, as it was claimed to take birth only after decades from the minds of someone else.

Chandru, reaches his rendezvous, a beautiful bird-park to meet Sona as promised. Minutes pass away, the restless Chandru, roams around the place and expressing his frustration to the sweet birds (Remember the "Shut Up!!!" fight with parrot). Out of control, he screams "Sona!!!", and gets a response from her, who reaches into his arms with a guitar, inappropriate for the place. But, Sona's wish is to request a play from Chandru with the guitar. How can a man deny it? Chandru plays for his girl, expressing his wait for her in the poem. The running departure from Sona, translates back as the thumping sound of a fat man walking over the bridge, brings Chandru to reality, making him realize he has been fooled once again.

Guitar starts up with the sounds of the initial tuning done with the strings, followed by the quick pacing giving a great start for SPB,

What a waiting, What a waiting, Lovely birds tell my darling

the guitar follows seems to approve it, and enlarges the loneliness of Chandru. Bongos maintains a constant galloping throughout the song, supporting guitar.

Your watching, Your watching, Love is but a game of waiting,
Again ended by guitar, emphasising the fact. SPB follows the same lines in Tamil,

காத்திருந்தேன் காத்திருந்தேன் காதல் மனம் நோகும்வரை

the same approval by guitar as in the first line,

பாத்திருந்தாய் பாத்திருந்தாய் பச்சைக்கிளி சாட்சி சொல்லு
நாத்து வச்சு காத்திருந்தா நெல்லு கூட வெளஞ்சிருக்கும்
காக்க வச்சு கன்னி வந்தா காதல் உண்டா கேட்டு சொல்லு

Guitar repeats the pallavi in its unique manner, SPB following with the English lyrics again

What a waiting, What a waiting, Lovely birds tell my darling
Your watching, Your watching, Love is but a game of waiting

Guitar takes up a hilly ride here, joined by the effect of echoing when coming down everytime, an amazing prolonging at the end. A voice of humming follows with "Roo Roo Rooo...", together with the guitar. Guitar continues with the pallavi, follwed by the exact repetition by whistling. As we can observe, all the three interludes, humming, guitar and whistling plays the same lines of pallavi, but the feel would never be the same when heard together. Exotic!!! Guitar does a fast striding reaching SPB at,

காத்திருந்தேன் காத்திருந்தேன் காதல் மனம் நோகும்வரை
பாத்திருந்தாய் பாத்திருந்தாய் பச்சைக்கிளி சாட்சி சொல்லு

No words to express the ending!!! The rapid play of the guitar matching the raging emotion of Chandru, ending with the frustration effect, and the percussions finish with the same gallop.

Follow me at http://bibliomaniac-moviefanatic.blogspot.com/
Sriram Kannan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: NIZHAL KANDAVAN NAALUM INGEY Reply with quote

நிழல் கண்டவன் நாளும் இங்கே

Another background song, smallest in the group of "Ninaithaale Inikkum", this time for Rajni. The entire movie itself is a visible example for EMPEROR's Western talent, well exposed in various places. At the same time, he never forgets to surprise us with the orchestration in the songs. Another guitar - mridangam combination from the EMPEROR!!! I would quote the same comment again "one of the early MDs to introduce innovations in BGM, as it was claimed to take birth only after decades from the minds of someone else".

Singapore becomes the "Bhool Bhulaiyya" for the lead musicians of the "Yours Lovingly". As the journey to mystery begins for Chandru from the moment Sona stepped onto his room at Chennai, then again on the flight, and several times at Singapore where she reacts different everytime, raising the suspense of her own self, Chandru gets a partner now. The carefree boy Deepak, not anymore, after the entry of the tape to his hotel room. The very first word "Anbare..." catches Deepak, and he goes mad with the seductive voice of the lady in the cassette. Deepak names her "Tape Sundari", and starts hunting for her throughout the city. The song comes in the background, with Deepak roaming around the city with the tape in hands, the conversation playing over and over, his eyes looking for every possible gesture from the ladies who hear it. "Eppadi Irunthavan Ippadi Aayittaan"!!!

The opening itself gives an ironic expression, the imagination of how the person would have been roaming around the place in vain, played by guitar. Who else can evoke such vivid imagination!!! Xylophone joins guitar in the prelude, and finishes it as well. SPB begins the pallavi,

நிழலைத் தொடர்ந்து ஓடுகின்றான்
மொழி கேட்டவன் மோகம் கொண்டு
முகத்தைக் காணத் தேடுகின்றான்
நிழலைத் தொடர்ந்து ஓடுகின்றான்

Guitar follows the pallavi in a slight stream, with the background of drums and a minute bongo rhythm. Keyboard begins the interlude, together with the guitar, mocking at the fate of the man roaming around faithfully searching his needle in the haystack. Whistling follows it supported by guitar, giving way for SPB to begin the small charanam

எங்கும் தொடர்ந்து போவதுதான்
இனிய காதல் விதியாகும்
வெல்க இளமை வெல்க
வாழ்க காதல் வாழ்க

Mridangam supports SPB throughout the charanam, but the tap of bongos finishes it. SPB repeats the pallavi, and guitar continues playing the pallavi, dying down slowly.

s.r.sankaranarayanan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEAR SRIRAM,

REMARKABLE COVERAGE AND WRITE UPS . IT IS NO WONDER THAT YOU HV ASKED US TO WAIT FOR THE WRITE UPS ON TWO SMALL WONDERS BEFORE "NAMMA OORU SINGAARI" ,THE BIGGEST WONDER.
IMAGINE THE SITUATION,THE MOOD.AND THE EMPEROR COMES UP WITH FRESH NOVELTY IN HINDOLAM SCALE.TO USE SAMPATH"S PHRASE " SMARIKKAMUDIYAADHA " COMPOSITION . THEB STRIKING FEATURE OF ALL THESE GEMS FROM THIS MOVIE IS THE UNUSUAL HANDLING OF CLASSICAL PHRASES IN ALMOST ALL SONGS.SEE HOW HE USES NADANAAMAKRIYA IN PRELUDE OF SAMBO SIVASAMBO( RAAGINI FOR A CATWALK Smile AND IN THE INTERLUDE OF ENGEYUM EPPODUM)AND LOVERBOY ENTICING LOVER GIRL(THANK YOU BAROQUE, I AM ADDICTED TO THIS USAGE )AND BUILDS " NAALU METHAI " HOUSES WITH HINDOLAM SCALE.

EMPEROR"S ABSOLUTE MELODY RIOT. EXTENT OF NOVELTIES.DESIGNER STUFF.EMPEROR IS YOUNG.HE SHOULD BE NOW ONLY 50.

GREAT GOING,SRIRAM. WAUITING FOR NAMMA OORU SINGAARI.
BYE,

S.R.SANKARANARAYANAN
Sriram Kannan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: NAMMA OORU SINGAARI Reply with quote

நம்ம ஊரு சிங்காரி

Another free-hit sixer!!! First and last love song for Rajni in the movie!!! Very obviously seen, not seemed to shot up in Singapore, but in the local sets. SPB rules the movie with his voice, this time for Rajni. A dream sequence, not fitting anyehere in the movie (Well, why to care if the movie comes with the motto of "Dedicated to Youth"!!!), but again EMPEROR has sprayed his magical potion to make it immortal. Apart from the background songs and other small songs, this is the first not-a-stage song. Therefore, EMPEROR has more air to breathe, and that shows up in his orchestration. The "Master of Fusion" has come up with the next number to add in his list. This time it is Veena, in par with Western instruments (Especially the first interlude with Veena and Western percussions). SPB's voice has well portrayed the romance of the lover boy Deepak. As this is the only SPB-Rajni song in the movie, not to include the background "Thatti Ketka Aalilenna", SPB has clearly made it a Rajni song. Other love songs for Chandru in the movie (Bharathi Kannamma, Ninaithaale Inikkum) are in a way too romantic keeping us involved emotionally, Deepak's love song is just like his nature, a jolly dancing number.

The entire movie itself is a bundle of romantic mystery, Chandru and Deepak never able to guess the fate of their love at any point of the story. Rather than heroes, they are innocent victims caught up in a love web, not willing and knowing to get out of it. A sudden realization strikes Deepak, why can't the "Tape Sundari" be the sweet Tamil receptionist of the hotel(Geetha). Deepak rushes to the lobby, finds her and goes crazy when she utters the same words from the tape. The pair goes on for a dream song, ending with Geetha pushing Deepak off the building, Deepak screams and wakes up to reality, sadly realizing his search still not complete.

Guitar begins the song, a smaller prelude, opening up for SPB,

நம்ம ஊரு சிங்காரி

guitar swaying after him,

சிங்கப்பூரு வந்தாளாம்

SPB raising exclamation with his voice, guitar following. Guitar joins with SPB beginning the pallavi,

நம்ம ஊரு சிங்காரி
சிங்கப்பூரு வந்தாளாம்
பொட்டு வச்சு பூமுடிச்சு நின்னாளாம்

Guitar and bongos joins for a hop now, bongos predominant for the first two, and guitar at the next two, with the pattern repeating. A solo veena follows, the melody so tantalizing like a lady walking, at first placing her foot so careful in a way not to hurt them, and promptly reaching at arms at the end. SPB does a gentle laugh and repeats,

நம்ம ஊரு சிங்காரி
சிங்கப்பூரு வந்தாளாம்
பொட்டு வச்சு பூமுடிச்சு நின்னாளாம்
பொட்டு வச்சு பூமுடிச்சு நின்னாளாம் HA HA HA HA HAAAAA......

The tune getting an enthusiastic turn, SPB getting more curious,

மன்மதன் வந்தானா
நம்ம சங்கதி சொன்னானா

When the lines get repeated, SPB does a sweet prolongation at வந்தானா ஆஆஆ.....

The interlude is a great combination of veena and guitar with drums, veena and guitar gently raising together, veena more pronouncing and strolling around in the background of drums, and while coming down at steps joined by bongos beats of three taps in regular intervals. The effect of the veena is highly enticing, especially when it ends at the start of the charanam. SPB starts with,

பாலாடை போலாடும் பாப்பா
எப்போதும் நான் சொன்னா கேப்பா
ராஜாவை பார்க்காமல் ரோஜா
ஏமாந்து போனாலோ லேசா

Drums support SPB in the charanam, with bongos repeating in an alternate sequence of two-tap and three-tap beats, this sequence matching exactly at the middle and end of the lines in the charanam so far. SPB's voice picks up a pace here, but the guitar, drum beats and bongos sequence maintain theirs,

நான் நாள வெச்சு தேதி வெச்சு ஊரு விட்டு ஊரு வந்து நீயின்றி போவேனோ சம்போ
நான் மூணு மெத்த வீடு கட்டி மாடி மேல உன்ன வச்சு பாக்காம போவேனோ சம்போ

SPB does his enthusiastic hop back at "மன்மதன் வந்தானா...."

Guitar begins the second prelude in a quick slope, trumpet raising up gradually and goes on a walk in the air, the pattern repeating twice, first time with a single trumpet, and the next in a pair. Flute picks up from there on a fast hop that raises to max, taking us to SPB,

அன்பான உன் பேச்சு ராகம்
நடை போட்டு நீ வந்தா தாளம்
சுகமான உன் மேனி பாடல்
இதிலென்ன இனிமேலும் ஊடல்
(Remember Rajni keeps mum at the first two lines, and suddenly realizes and sings ending at ஊடல் in an expression? Very Natural!!!)

The drums and bongos continue their pattern like in the previous charanam, helping SPB throughout. Again, SPB paces up,

அந்த தேவதைக்கு நீயும் சொந்தம் தேவனுக்கு நானும் சொந்தம் பூலோகம் தாங்காது வாம்மா
நம்ம காதலுக்கு ஈடு சொல்ல காவியத்தில் யாருமில்ல நானொன்று நீயொன்று தாம்மா

The hop is back again at "மன்மதன் வந்தானா...."

The songs ends up with the guitar raising up and down, raising again with the picked beats of drums and bongos that stop, but guitar reaching at high giving an absolutely wonderful finishing.

P. Sankar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sriram Kannan,

"Ninaithaley Innikkum" is one of MSV's greatest albums.

There are many movies scored by different music directors where there will be three superhit songs, one average and one song would be just another filler. And so on..a film consisting of songs in different modes..superhits, average and poor too.

But MSV is one who would have given lots and lots of albums, where all the songs of the film would be superhit. The entire "Pa" series films are one classic example, apart from lots of film he did for MGR, lots of films he had done for people like Sreedhar, AVM, T.R.Ramanna, K.Shankar, Gemini Banner, G.N.Velumani..etc...etc...(Ram, what about another thread..TOP 10 ALBUMS?)

In such classic albums of MSV, "Ninaithaley innikkum" is one; when one wants to discuss the long era MSV had played in Tamil film music industry too, one has to necessarily discuss this film. It is certainly a MILE-KAL for him.

Dear Mr.Sriram Kannan, you have taken the discussion to great heights. EVERGREEN MUSICAL ENTERTAINER.

With this song, "Namma ooru singari", I only feel KB could have done more justice while picturising this song. May be, he would have been running out of time to release the film and that could be one of the reasons for an average song presentation in the movie.

Thanks Sriram Kannan,

P. Sankar.
irenehastings

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P. Sankar wrote:
With this song, "Namma ooru singari", I only feel KB could have done more justice while picturising this song. May be, he would have been running out of time to release the film and that could be one of the reasons for an average song presentation in the movie.

Thanks Sriram Kannan,

P. Sankar.

Sankar sir, you are correct,

KB must picturise this song in some beautiful Singapore location, same like he done for 'Bharathi Kannama'. But he had shoot this song in Vauhini Studio compus.

Another irritating thing is, KB will insert some colour shadows throughout the song, which is so horrible to watch. But Rajini done his part well (particularly in the line 'manmadhan vandhaanaa..aa..aa..aa...') so jovially, because he is the incharge for the comedy part of that movie.

Whenvever we hear this song, we can imagine Rajini's face with white cap and french beard.
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(Remember Rajni keeps mum at the first two lines, and suddenly realizes and sings ending at ஊடல் in an expression? Very Natural!!!)

Dear SriramK,

We used to watch this particular shot repeatedly ! This is typical of KB , always coming up with a surprise in his song picuturisation Very Happy
And remember, the same SPB had to sing for the lead hero Kamal & how nicely he fits in well for Rajini also ! During the 80s , SPB was the King having sung infinite noof songs for both the Stars.
MSV had given some beautiful tunes for Rajini & infact My name is Billa, the superhit song of the early 80s which was like a School Anthem for us Laughing . This song matches the image of Rajini extremely well for his funny behaviour and tantrums throughout the movie .
A real foot tapper of a song . the whole theatre used to dance instantly when it appears.
However, as Irene rightly mentioned, KB had used some Filters it seems as one will get a shady feeling.

Cheer you guy Sriram . Your sequential covering of events that happen in the movie and the songs that follow is a marvellous work. Hats off . Very Happy

PS : HOPE NAMMA OORU SINGARI SONG IS NOT TARGETTED BY TODAY'S COMPOSERS FOR REMIX. THIS SONG IS HIGH POTENTIAL TARGET FOR REMIX. I AM ISSUING A PRE-ALERT NOW Laughing
madhuraman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Movies A Special Section Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Balaji,

Your alert on the scope of 'Namma ooru Singari" as an item for begging [re-mixing], though well-meant, disturbs me for the prospect. Inadvertantly let us not provide for their palate. People are so much bereft of ideas that they may not identify anything on their own. Unwittingly let us not show them items to dabble with. Enough is enough is the present lamentation of lovers of genuine music. I hope you recognize the spirit of my fear. Thank you.
Warm regards. Prof.K.Raman Navi Mumbai
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: NINAITHALEY INIKKUM- A MUSICAL EPIC Reply with quote

Dear Sriram Kannan,

Extraordinary wrtite-up on this "Musical Epic" by the EMPERROR. Each & every song of this movie is a gem and it is only natural that we have all become addicts to our Master's Music. Sriram, go ahead and unleash yourself with more of such write-ups. The world of MSV rasikas is waiting to hear from you.

Cheers
MSV IS MUSIC
VAIDY

msvramki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sriram,

Your writing on the songs of NINAITHAALEY INIKKUM is wonderful !
The flow of writing, narrating the scene and also on the way how
our EMEPEROR has orchestrated, is fabulous !

These are really going to be assets for tomorrow.

Keep going please.

Ramki
baroque

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful Sriram!
FINESSE, TRENDY, HIP,STYLE with SUBSTANCE, Shri.MSV composes relevant music!
keep it up!
Fun Friday evening with Shri.MSV's mega musical NI for me, thanks thanks thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Movies - A Special Section! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: