"MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com
Official Website of M.S.Viswanathan - Legendary Indian Composer

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KADHAL SIRAGAI KATRINIL VIRITHU ( PALUM PAZAMUM )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: KADHAL SIRAGAI KATRINIL VIRITHU ( PALUM PAZAMUM ) Reply with quote

An emotional moment for SarojaDevi who voluntarily disappear from her loving / caring husband Dr. Sivaji Ganesan upon discovering that she has TB. Together, the couple had a mission to invent a permanent cure for TB.
Its natural for anybody to develop a liking for another if their thought process is similar. Nadigar Thilagam marries Saroja Devi as he finds that their minds converge & both are in medical profession & also carry the same agenda. Post marriage they love & admire each other’s qualities .Director Bhimsingh , well known for screen play, nicely covers the fondness and affection between the couple through a sequence of scenes earlier to substantiate the extent of love they share ( with all the qualities of a Doctor’s dignity and etiquette ). The director also shows through a couple of scenes that NT loses focus on his research as he gets involved in married life . SD , knowing his true love & seeing him totally crestfallen on her current condition, leaves him suddenly. The underlying intention for her separation is to enable NT forget her memories & focus back on the research totally so that the suffering world benefits. She is not a myopic

Fortunately, she gets cured under the support of one of her erstwhile patients.Now that she is completely cured, strolls disconsolately ,feels restless & clueless as to how to get back to her husband. Silent in solitude, she thinks now on how her hubby will receive her !

A real poignant situation for a wife .

Wondering at the vicissitudes of life , she sings - KADHAL SIRAGAI KAATRINIL VIDUTHU VAANA VEEDHIYIL PARAKKAVAA

The immortal Kavignar Kannadasan pens a fascinating lyric & the mesmerizing musical duo MSV-TKR , a formidable combination bring right before our eyes, the defining moment of the movie . Through 3 charanams, Kavignar dominates the song . This song looks like another straight contest between 3 great personalities – Kavignar, MSV-TKR & P.Susheela , each one striving to excel .

காதல் சிறகை காட்றினில் விரித்து வானவீதியில் பறக்கவா
கண்ணில் நிறைந்த கணவரின் மார்பில் கண்ணீர் கடலில் குளிக்கவா
கண்ணீர் கடலில் குளிக்கவா

எண்ணங்களாலே பாலம் அமைத்து இரவும் பகலும் நடக்கவா
இத்தனை காலம் பிரிந்ததை எண்ணி
இத்தனை காலம் பிரிந்ததை எண்ணி
இருகை கொண்டு வணங்கவா
இருகை கொண்டு வணங்கவா

முதல்நாள் காணும் புதுமணப்பெண்போல்
முகத்தை மறைத்தல் வேண்டுமா
முறையுடன் மணந்த கணவர் முன்னாலே
பரம்பரை நாணம் தோன்றுமா
பரம்பரை நாணம் தோன்றுமா

பிரிந்தவர் மீண்டும் சேர்ந்திடும்போது
அழுதால் கொஞ்ஜம் நிம்மதி
பேசமறந்து சிலையாய் இருந்தால்
அது தான் தெய்வதின் சன்னதி
அது தான் காதல் சன்னதி

The venerable P.Susheela gives life to the character ! The art of emoting by pure imagination is her greatest strength & PS , naturally talented & possessed a high sense of understanding the song situation & purpose, ever lived like that character . ….. Oru naal iravu.. pagal pol nilavu ( Kaviya thalaivi ) , Maalai pozudhin mayakathile ….& Kaana vandha kaatchi enna vellinilave ( both from Bagyalakshmi )… Ninaikka therindha maname …….Its another fascinating aspect that the same PS also gives the melodious … Aalayamaniyin osayai & Naan pesa ninaippadhellam , Indha nadagam andha medayil ….. Ennai yaar endru enni enni…..from this movie itself with a different mood !!..... This movie is one of the very best of P.Susheela .

I find this song very popular amongst women . I realize , its one of the coveted , unforgettable song for them

Its very important that the meaning of the lyric should be expressed in musical note. That’s what has happened in this song ! The tune takes honour this time …highly expressive ….the emotional notes are reflective of the dilemma of the character…A captivating tune

The pallavi - reflects the mood of –who is happy to back to join her husband

The charanams – the poor character repents for her earlier decision … anxious to know how he will react, worried how to present herself

& by the end , ponders whether by crying , she will get the justice …

All the emotions, agony, anxiety …all presented through the tune ….

There is no lamenting ….nor ecstatic ….Dilemma of an anxious wife & hence such a tune setting

Saroja devi ,one of the leading star of yesteryears … a lovely actress ………ruled tamil cinema during the entire 60s having played alongside all the top actors… Nadigar Thilagam, Makkal Thilagam , Gemini Ganesan… Paaluma pazamum is one of the best performance of SD.

What a Kavginar we had !

பரம்பரை நாணம் தோன்றுமா

அது தான் தெய்வதின் சன்னதி
அது தான் காதல் சன்னதி

Amazing lyrics ! poetic ! peerless . Wish he comes back to earth again

Tears spontaneously come out of our eyes whenever this song is heard !
Damodaran Pachaiappan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Balaji Sir,

To be honest with you, I have been waiting for a long time for you to analyze this song. What a comprehensive write up! I would rate this song as one of the top ten of all time. Just as you said, this song has brought tears to my eyes as well. The lyrics and music are harmoniously married to each other. The incomparable music of Mellisai Mannargal, the immortal words of Kaviarasar and the divine rendition by Isaikuil PS madam all combine to make this an outstanding and unforgettable song of all times.

Please do continue to enthrall us with analysis of the works of MELLISAI ULAGIN MAPERUM CHAKRAVARTHY - MSV.
Long live MSV the legend.
With sincere regards,
Damodaran Pachaiappan
Ram

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wah re Wah !!! Outstanding write-up on this great song!

"Pinnitteenga Thala!!!" Wink
ravikumar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent analysis of a very excellent song.

One reason for MSV/Kannadhasan duo's success is, they always
portrayed the character - not themselves.

Though I haven't seen this movie have heard the song many times.

As described by Mr.Balaji the character here is bundled
with so many different types of emotions -

* happy - to be alive
* sorry - for having left her lover
* hopeful - to get back to him

How to start the song? What should be the prelude?
With a happy note or sorrow note? ... the composer carried the confusion of the character - inherited the character.

He just makes the character sing her feelings. No prelude.

(In the movie version I guess there is a prose poem 'Maari varum megame en thai naadu selvayo'..followed by flowing violins. This piece makes me think that the heroine is in a different country, overseas. However, I don't think this to be considered the prelude).

'Kadhal siragai, kaatrinil virithu vaana veethiyil parakkava?'

A very slow take off, with subtle mixture of feelings without any turbulence and on to a glide.

In the first prelude with soothing violins the composer makes you
feel that you are set to sail smoothly in the air..with the flute
bit that ensures you say hi to an oncoming cuckoo.

In the charanams the composer underline/emphasize the feelings of the character.

'Ithanai kaalam pirinthathai enni... (casually the first time)
Ithanai (with great emphasis) kaalam pirinthathai enni...'

I strongly believe, the repetitions here were not just added to flavor the song. After all, it is not a biggy for these two stalwarts (lyricist /composer)
to fill in apt words or musical notes, if that was the idea. Instead they wanted to bring out the character.

I cannot imagine the song without these repetitions - even different words for the same tune in place of repeated lines would have lost 'some' charm.

The interludes stilly carry the character's confusion - flowing smoothly for
few seconds and with slight ups and downs later - like flying through a thin layer of clouds enjoying the serenity and into much darker clouds. No turbulence though.

When the glide is to end the composing pilot warn the travellers - with soothing violins - and slowly bring them to the ground (instead to reality from a dream world) with a beautiful humming.

Aah.. ahaha ... aha...
Hmm..hmmhmm ... hmmmhmm.

A very smooth, successful landing. Throughout the flight, neither the pilot (composer) nor the navigator (lyricist) try to do any gimmicks. They were very responsible about carrying us with them, alongwith the character. The pilot, the navigator and the announcer have done their job so well.

But how many of the passengers take time to think and thank the pilot and his crew for a job well done - except for few like in this quorum?

A perfect song where even the slightest pause/gasp of the singer adds tinge. (example in the stanza 'Muraiyudan nadantha kanavar munnale .. parambarai naanam (gasp) thondruma .. parambarai naanam (no gasp) thondruma).

I have never thought the cymbals (jalra) accompaniment could create such an impact, until I heard this song.
msvramki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Balaji , RaviKumar,

Amazing Analysis of the wonderful creation 'Kathal Chiragai Kaatrinil Virithu' .The perfect 'feel' the "pilot, the navigator and the announcer"
have created for the scene and the emotions thereby in us - all are
wonders !

"HOW MANY OF THE PASSENGERS TAKE TIME TO THINK AND THANK THE PILOT AND CREW FOR THE PERFECT FLIGHT THEY HAVE GIVEN ! - It is paining.

Wonderful writeup and a service to the music community.

Pl continue your service without break.

Regards
Ramki

Last edited by msvramki on Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:37 am; edited 2 times in total
msvramki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ரவிகுமாரின் உணர்ச்சிபூர்வ அலசலை மீண்டும் மீண்டும் படித்தபின்
எனக்கும் தோன்றும் எண்ணம் :

யாராவது (அல்லது ரவிக்குமாரே) இந்த அலசலைத் தமிழில் மொழிபெயர்த்து, நாம் எல்லோரும் சேர்ந்து போய் நம் 'மன்னரி'ன் காலடியில் அமர்ந்து, ரவிகுமார், தன் எழுத்தை அவர் முன் படித்து, நாம் யாவரும் கதறி அழுது, அவர் காலில் விழுந்து வரவேண்டும் !!

இந்த வரி எழுதும் போது எனக்கு அநதப்பாடலிலிருந்தே ஒலிக்கும் வரி :

"பிரிந்தவர் மீண்டும் சேர்ந்திடும் போது அழுதால் கொஞ்சம் நிம்மதி"
-- என் வாழ்வின் பல சந்தர்ப்பங்களில் மனதை வருடிய வரிகள் !!

நன்றி சொல்ல இதைத் தவிர வேறு ஒரு வழியும் கிடையாது !!

மீண்டும் நன்றி, ரவிகுமார் !!

அன்புடன்
ராம்கி.

Last edited by msvramki on Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
baroque

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an emotive musical!
Soul-stirring singing!
Moving lyrics!
Damodaran Pachaiappan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ramki Sir,
I would like to echo your sentiments. At least once in my life time, I should see our Legend, fall at his feet and prostrate before him and thank him for all the wonderful musical moments he has given us all.

May the Almighty God grant our Mellisai Chakravarthy long and healthy life.

With sincere regards,
Damodaran Pachaiappan
S.Balaji

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravikumar wrote:

As described by Mr.Balaji the character here is bundled
with so many different types of emotions -

* happy - to be alive
* sorry - for having left her lover
* hopeful - to get back to him

How to start the song? What should be the prelude?
With a happy note or sorrow note? ... the composer carried the confusion of the character - inherited the character.

He just makes the character sing her feelings. No prelude.

(In the movie version I guess there is a prose poem 'Maari varum megame en thai naadu selvayo'..followed by flowing violins. This piece makes me think that the heroine is in a different country, overseas. However, I don't think this to be considered the prelude).

'Kadhal siragai, kaatrinil virithu vaana veethiyil parakkava?'

A very slow take off, with subtle mixture of feelings without any turbulence and on to a glide.

In the first prelude with soothing violins the composer makes you
feel that you are set to sail smoothly in the air..with the flute
bit that ensures you say hi to an oncoming cuckoo.

In the charanams the composer underline/emphasize the feelings of the character.

I strongly believe, the repetitions here were not just added to flavor the song. After all, it is not a biggy for these two stalwarts (lyricist /composer)
to fill in apt words or musical notes, if that was the idea. Instead they wanted to bring out the character.

I cannot imagine the song without these repetitions - even different words for the same tune in place of repeated lines would have lost 'some' charm.

The interludes stilly carry the character's confusion - flowing smoothly for
few seconds and with slight ups and downs later - like flying through a thin layer of clouds enjoying the serenity and into much darker clouds. No turbulence though.

When the glide is to end the composing pilot warn the travellers - with soothing violins - and slowly bring them to the ground (instead to reality from a dream world) with a beautiful humming.

Aah.. ahaha ... aha...
Hmm..hmmhmm ... hmmmhmm.

A very smooth, successful landing. Throughout the flight, neither the pilot (composer) nor the navigator (lyricist) try to do any gimmicks. They were very responsible about carrying us with them, alongwith the character. The pilot, the navigator and the announcer have done their job so well.

But how many of the passengers take time to think and thank the pilot and his crew for a job well done - except for few like in this quorum?

A perfect song where even the slightest pause/gasp of the singer adds tinge. (example in the stanza 'Muraiyudan nadantha kanavar munnale .. parambarai naanam (gasp) thondruma .. parambarai naanam (no gasp) thondruma).

I have never thought the cymbals (jalra) accompaniment could create such an impact, until I heard this song.

Dear Mr. Ravi,

Truly a wonderful research you have done on this tearful song ! Infact, what I was struggling to express in writing, you had brought to light exactly .! Very Happy

You are right. The repetition of words are with an intention to give more impact & MSV is a Master of such arrangements. For example : Malai pozudhin mayakathile naan ..... there will be frequent repetition in short forms... karanam yen thozi ...marandhuvitaar thozi

Quote:
the composer carried the confusion of the character - inherited the character

aayirathil oru vaarthai ! Thats why the tune is so emotional , expressive

And you have made good point on the interludes also . In my anxiety to express the outstanding lyric and singing by PS, I totally forgot the ludes

Honestly, you have made a much better analysis of the song. hats off .

Pls write more about the songs of the 60s so that current and future generation benefit.

Cheers Very Happy
irenehastings

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Balaji sir & Ravikumar...

Wow what a wonderful analysis about the very wonderful song. Strictly speaking, each and every line, each and every word packed with emotions.

Ravikumar, you are one more asset for our forum. Please continue you service.

ravikumar wrote:

I strongly believe, the repetitions here were not just added to flavor the song.

I feel guilty, I never think these lines with this much keen observation. My God...!!!!!!!.

The heroine Sarojadevi (as per story) is in Switzerland, but want to see her beloved husband, feel her foolishness for taking decition to part from him, so that start the song with thogaiyaraa... "thaavi varum mEgamE en thaai naadu selvayO"...

and starts the song "kaadhal siragai kaatrinil viriththu vaana veedhiyil parakkavaa?'.

During the song, Director Bhimsingh shows the situation in Madras also, the first night of Shivaji with Sowcar Janaki, the confused face expression of Sowcar and moodless Shivaji. Finally he will show Sowcar has slept and Shivaji sitting in revolving chair. Tears will flow in our cheeks. How this Bhimsingh handles the three charecters, without blaming any of them..!!.

Shivaji never get any National Award
MSV never get any National Award
TMS never get any National Award
Kannadasan never get any National Award
Bhimsingh never get any National Award

Only one question in my mind.....

Is the 'bloody' National Awards has any value...??????????????????.
Vatsan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: siragu Reply with quote

Yet another show of class by the symbiosis between twin souls, MSV and KD. Compartively, today's pairing up is SINbiosis.

vArthhaigaL illai uraikka.....except charanam is all couplets, twin couplets in this case. KD-yin muthhAna vArthhaigaLai isai noolAl kOrthu, muthhu maNi mAlayai Susheela-virkku aNivithhu azhagu pArppathu , isai chiragai kAtrinil virithhu idaya vAnil parakkum MSV-kku suNdal sAppiduvathu pOla. The True Master weaves out yet another magic making the charanams sound meatier than they are. Hidden within each musical phrasing is the hidden lament, helplessness, desire to re-unite and heart-felt ruminations over the imagined re-unison. nam uNarvugaLudan viLaiyAduvathE ivarukku veLayAi pOi vittathu. An IT professional typing this during office hours.....nam kadamai thavaruthalukku kAraNakarthhA MSV......I therefore sentence him to a life sentence of constant music making.
vaidymsv

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: LIFE SENTENCE!! Reply with quote

Dear Balaji, Ravikumar, Ramki, Dr. Damu

Our Master's Master pieces will ever be with us till we leave this world. What an amazing song and above all what a way to enlighten all of us with your Soul Stirring writing Balaji!!!. Unforgettable stuff indeed.

Dear Vatsa,

Ennappa ithu life sentence??? Please add one more to that life sentence for all of us to be with him in the same cell Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Imagine what a moment that would turn out to be.!!!

As you rightly pointed out, MSV ennaiyum officil utkata vidamattar. Others in this list are - SRS, Jayram TCS, Venkat, Me and now Vatsan. What a fabulous addiction this is!!! I feel great about getting addicted to MSV's music.

Cheers
MSV is Music
vaidy

rajeshkumar_v

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

இதைவிட அழகாக ஒரு பாடலை சொல்ல முடியுமா எவ்வளவு அழகாக நயமாக " முறையுடன் மணந்த கணவர் முன்னாலே பரம்பரை நாணம் தோன்றுமா" ஆஹா .. கவியரசர் கவியரசர் தானய்யா

மெல்லிசை மன்னர்களின் இசையை புகழ்வதா, அதை குரலில் குறையின்றி தந்த இசையரசி சுசீலாவை புகழ்வதா, திரையில் அபிநயம் காட்டிய அபிநய சரஸ்வதி, நடிகர்திலகத்தை புகழ்வதா எதை புகழ்வது..

சரி ஒரே வரியில் எல்லாவற்றையும் புகழ்ந்துவிடுவோம்.. பாலும் பழமும்
ஒரு இசைப்பொக்கிஷம் .. அந்த நாளும் வந்திடாதோ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCwH0Jp1H6s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    "MSV CLUB" - The Discussion Forum of MSVTimes.com Forum Index -> Pick a Song and Analyze! All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: